2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

50 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

10 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Kind of wanted Dicker to stick around to punt, but No Ragrets. 

Dicker is a better punter than kicker. He’ll at least make a practice squad due to being a dual threat with his leg, but he isn’t an NFL level kicker at this point. 

He could spend a year on a practice squad and maybe be a fill-in punter or kicker during the season, which would be great. 

I’m ready to see who’s next at both kicking positions. 

3 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Dicker is a better punter than kicker. He’ll at least make a practice squad due to being a dual threat with his leg, but he isn’t an NFL level kicker at this point. 

He could spend a year on a practice squad and maybe be a fill-in punter or kicker during the season, which would be great. 

i thought kicker was a decent punter but he's actually pretty good.

https://www.footballdb.com/college-football/stats/stats.html?mode=U&yr=2021&sort=puntnet

3rd in Net 

12th in Avg

but yea, he was inconsistent at best as a kicker. 

28 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

i thought kicker was a decent punter but he's actually pretty good.

https://www.footballdb.com/college-football/stats/stats.html?mode=U&yr=2021&sort=puntnet

3rd in Net 

12th in Avg

but yea, he was inconsistent at best as a kicker. 

It seems like he was more consistent as a kicker when he wasn't punting.

• Hook 'Em 2

IT

Spoiler

Georgia’s Latavious Brini is visiting Texas soon, source tells IT.

The 6-foot-2, 210-pound safety started 11 games for the Bulldogs and had 38 tackles and 8 pass breakups in 2021.

He visited Arkansas yesterday, and is set to see Texas, Mississippi State, and Louisville very soon.

The 2017 three-star played high school ball at Hialeah (Fla). Mater Academy Charter. He plans on enrolling for the spring semester so a decision has to happen quickly.

• Hook 'Em 9

53 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

he was 3rd in the NCAA in Net punting at ~45. Excellent leg for kickoffs and FG potential. He is probably a very desirable kicker to the NFL> 

Edited by Codaxx

6 minutes ago, CashMcCoy said:

IT

Hide contents

Georgia’s Latavious Brini is visiting Texas soon, source tells IT.

The 6-foot-2, 210-pound safety started 11 games for the Bulldogs and had 38 tackles and 8 pass breakups in 2021.

He visited Arkansas yesterday, and is set to see Texas, Mississippi State, and Louisville very soon.

The 2017 three-star played high school ball at Hialeah (Fla). Mater Academy Charter. He plans on enrolling for the spring semester so a decision has to happen quickly.

Interesting.  Eric mentioned mentioned a few days ago that he didn't think Texas and Brini were going to end up as a match - though he didn't really go into the 'why'. 

1 hour ago, MoJames said:

That he will actually make it. The Laissez-faire approach Perkins has to his recruiting suggests he has similar approaches to several facets of his life. Perkins appears to be full on chasing the $$. I could see this causing a massive flame out when he tries to lean on his athleticism if he approaches his game the same way he did the recruiting process.

Moody has appeared to work his ass off throughout the process, never complained and accepted his role at times. I could certainly see Moody accepting a depth role in the NFL over Perkins.

Granted I could be reading way to much into the two interviews and be off my rocker.

This is silly and would be overwhelmingly laughed at if we saw it from any other fan base. 

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

In 2019 Andre Anthony and Damone Clark were ahead of him on the depth chart.

He was backing up Micah Baskerville on 2020 depth chart.

Nope. He plays DE/edge and had a first rounder ahead of him basically every year. 

13 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Neyor, Mathis, Moody, and Brini would be an amazing finish to the portal class and leave the roster with no glaring weaknesses imho.

Lol wut. We’re running back the same, shitty OL from last year except without our best Tackle. so we’ll be hoping Christian Jones and a true freshman who isn’t an early enrolled to start at Tackle. And we’ll eithe be running out Majors, who got killed all last year, or a guy who’s never played Center at that spot. I’d say those are some glaring weaknesses. 

We would also still have holes at edge, ILB, and in-line TE. A guy like Moody is way too much of a question make to assume he’ll fix that. And Our DL is still the same DL that got run all over last year.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

Nope. He plays DE/edge and had a first rounder ahead of him basically every year. 

Lol wut. We’re running back the same, shitty OL from last year except without our best Tackle. so we’ll be hoping Christian Jones and a true freshman who isn’t an early enrolled to start at Tackle. And we’ll eithe be running out Majors, who got killed all last year, or a guy who’s never played Center at that spot. I’d say those are some glaring weaknesses. 

We would also still have holes at edge, ILB, and in-line TE. A guy like Moody is way too much of a question make to assume he’ll fix that. And Our DL is still the same DL that got run all over last year.

the belief is that the new QB will make the OL look better than Thompson/Card did a year ago.  

10 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

the belief is that the new QB will make the OL look better than Thompson/Card did a year ago.  

A QB that hasn't played college football. Texas is addressing needs and trying to fill holes. Somehow this staff decided it didn’t need to pursue OL help from the portal.

20 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

poop GIF

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

And Our DL is still the same DL that got run all over last year.

unless there is a scheme and technique change this will remain no matter who is playing DL. If you ask the DL to catch OL and attempt to control 2 gaps you are passive from the snap. If you play bail-and-trail at CB for a majority of your snaps you are passive. If you give the WRs leverage by formation (despite down and distance) you are passive and beaten before the snap. Hell, giving up short/quick passing game in any down/distance in this conference is simply ceding death by paper cuts, esp if you can't stop the run and won't combat heavy player personnel groupings. This isn't even getting into subpar S&C and practice structure. The huge drop in physicality from this team in year one under this coaching staff was remarkable. 

The great secret of CFB is that the BigXii has become a very physical conference - see the bowl games - and this is very much a finesse football team on both sides of the ball. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Rage+1 1

13 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

A QB that hasn't played college football. Texas is addressing needs and trying to fill holes. Somehow this staff decided it didn’t need to pursue OL help from the portal.

they feel good with what they have coming, even if they are true freshman. Guess they are ready to go through some growing pains?

2 hours ago, Hornlover said:

I don't believe @Knoxtnhorn went to Tenn, I think he just lived in Knoxville.

So, you can change that to 3 out of 4. 

Well played.  I went to the correct "UT"; my wife graduated from TN, though.  Most of the friends that I left in Knoxville were engineers, so I wasn't dealing with the bottom of the barrel while there.  

I will say this...  There is a definite imbalance in perception between what the two fan bases think of one another.  It would have never occurred to me to consider TN any type of rival because of the initials.  Matter of fact, I went to the TN v Arky Cotton Bowl game as a kid and loved the Vol fans - partially due to my hatred for Arkansas.  The second I stepped foot in Knoxville, I was subjected to "We're the real UT" on just about a daily basis.  I mean FAR more than one would expect even knowing there might be a bit of conflict of interest.  

I should have known what I was getting into at my first tailgate.  I got into an argument with a group (3 women; 2 men) who were under the impression that the Lady Vol basketball team would beat any college men's team.  And I'm talking double digits.  I believe it was the fall after Arizona beat KY.  They were adamant that the Lady Vols would have beat either team.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6

7 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

So when we physically whipped OU, OSU and Baylor for a half, that wasn't because of S&C but when we lost the leads it was because of S&C? When we got gashed against Kansas State for a half but then all of a sudden figured out how to play the run for the last two quarters, we changed the S&C at halftime? Also, practice structure? We have too many water breaks build into the agenda?

S&C is the most overrated message board piñata there is. Not going to pretend our S&C is perfect but we lost games because of the players on the field and decisions on the headsets. We didn't lose to Kansas because of BJ Foster's bench press numbers compared to 2020. 

Well I definitely know that you aren't a Paul Waddington aka Scipio Tex burner account.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

I think Overshown is best suited for edge. He may he a little light but hell Thornton rolled out at 227 at least 0 has above average athleticism and burst for the spot and he wont be asked to diagnose plays or think

Can't get off a block to save his life and you want to put him closer to the line?  Nah - if anything DO needs another off-season learning to play LB or needs to move to that hybrid LB/S role Perkins/Matthews are being recruited for.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

they feel good with what they have coming, even if they are true freshman. Guess they are ready to go through some growing pains?

Just like they felt good about what they had last year and let Baylor grab an all-conference center in the transfer portal that we desperately needed? Idk if you even watched last season, but we’re past the point of giving the staff the benefit of the doubt.

When your extremely shitty OL loses one of its best starters and the staff only brings in true freshman, it’s a problem. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, texifornia said:

If you didn't see the team get fucking gassed in all of those limpdick second half surrenders I don't know what to tell you. One outlier doesn't change that. Herman's teams played through the whistle, even if his playcalling was infuriating.

So playing 12 football games never got them in shape? How is that possible?

Edited by HenryJames

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)