2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

8 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Ok someone tell me how the portal hasn’t got out of hand??  Guy who scored the go ahead TD in the championship game is transferring to the opposing team?  I get going for a better position or if you aren’t playing but wtf is this bullshit like this?  Sorry I appreciate a little team pride, especially if you just won a national title.  Yea it’s Bama and you have a better qb but have some pride man.  This is pathetic 

you think these guys are playing for fun or pride? lol opt outs galore even from the rose bowl should have told you what you need to know.

12 minutes ago, immamac said:

you think these guys are playing for fun or pride? lol opt outs galore even from the rose bowl should have told you what you need to know.

I’d like to think if UT won a Championship again, contributiers in the game wouldn’t transfer.  Even in this landscape, that’s a bit much I’d say and a dick move that would get looked down upon by recruiters in the nfl even as terrible character, cause at that point you are obviously not a team player.  That still matters in the NFL….  We know WR that has recently proven that.  

Edited by Hook1997

19 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Ok someone tell me how the portal hasn’t got out of hand??  Guy who scored the go ahead TD in the championship game is transferring to the opposing team?  I get going for a better position or if you aren’t playing but wtf is this bullshit like this?  Sorry I appreciate a little team pride, especially if you just won a national title.  Yea it’s Bama and you have a better qb but have some pride man.  This is pathetic 

Burton was UGA's leading receiver.  He had 497 yards.

Bama's leading receiver, Jameson Williams, had 1,572 yards.

Which attack is likely to give him a better shot of getting drafted?

(Also, both QBs are going to be back.  May have factored into his decision.)

• Hook 'Em 8

12 minutes ago, Getafix said:

I get that but this guy isn’t going to bama’s #1 receiver….  The game plan is better but at Georgia if he’s good enough he will make it, at Bama he might be receiver #4 or more.  We as fans have huge pride in our team but you think it’s ok for a guy that won a Title with a team to just switch to the other team he helped beat?  I get changing your status but wtf at that point, have some pride and faith in yourself and your team. 

Edited by Hook1997

Wonder if this helps shake loose any of the Bama young WRs who want playing time.
Also for the record - Bama has now picked up an All American CB, an All-American RB, and Burton in the portal. The rich get richer..
Good thing our SEC schedule doesnt start until..

oh wait, furk

43 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

I’d like to think if UT won a Championship again, contributiers in the game wouldn’t transfer.  Even in this landscape, that’s a bit much I’d say and a dick move that would get looked down upon by recruiters in the nfl even as terrible character, cause at that point you are obviously not a team player.  That still matters in the NFL….  We know WR that has recently proven that.  

Dude, the NFL gives even less of a shit.

41 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

I get that but this guy isn’t going to bama’s #1 receiver….  The game plan is better but at Georgia if he’s good enough he will make it, at Bama he might be receiver #4 or more.  We as fans have huge pride in our team but you think it’s ok for a guy that won a Title with a team to just switch to the other team he helped beat?  I get changing your status but wtf at that point, have some pride and faith in yourself and your team. 

True.  Would suck to be Bama's receiver #4 ... his future prospects would be dreadful.

image.thumb.png.fb22416816e9a3ec01daa7bbd40f759f.png

image.thumb.png.554f270d71179aa9d5994b7d5b7d7484.png

• Haha 5

While I agree with you for this particular player it seems odd, your NFL comparison doesnt help your point. Know why it's so hard for NFL teams to not only win back to back titles, but sometimes even making the playoffs the following year? Nearly every player that is able to leave realizes their stock may never be higher...and act accordingly. Wether we like it or not, NIL and the transfer portal has pretty much made CFB into NFL-lite. School loyalty has been waning for decades, the way things are now the players who feel like they would never play anywhere else are the exception, not the rule.

I mean come on...how many of Jimbo's #1 class were born dreaming of playing for a weird af cowpasture college that hasnt won jack shit of significance in 82 years?
  • Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

I mean he was injured in the 5th game until that point he was their leading receiver

This is true. But I think the overarching point here is that all four receivers ended up being first round picks. Furthermore, they were products of a Sarkisian offense.

If Saban upgrades from Bullet Chin (there's no way to go but up, right?), then this move could pay off handsomely for Jermaine Burton.

2 hours ago, Getafix said:

I gotta wonder if UGA's QB Stetson Benson (or maybe Kirby Smart himself) is holding their offense back. UGA's OC, Todd Monken, was a high scoring Air Raid guy when he was the OC at Okie State & Head Coach at Southern Mississippi. I thought it was a great hire when Smart hired him.

Looks like Monken still considers himself a Air Raid coach:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

Most of this is wrong. Bama lost its three starting WRs to the NFL and two backups to transfer. Everyone else is unproven as a starter, especially compared to Burton. They were always going to bring in a #1 WR since they don’t have an obvious one going into next year

• Hook 'Em 2

giphy.gif
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Scoop:

By: Justin, Joe, Gerry, and Eric

Portal recruiting

Losing out on Georgia transfer Latavious Brini ensures the staff will continue looking for immediate help at defensive back. After adding Quinn Ewers, Ryan Watts, Jahleel Billingsley, and Isaiah Neyor, by our math the staff can still add four counters to the class.

Needs remaining are EDGE, linebacker, safety, and offensive line or best player available.

Coming into portal season, we heard the staff would focus on offense with the thinking they could put games out of reach and make life easier on the defense with a couple of high-powered additions. I think that’s confidence in Sarkisian‘s own ability to control games if he has the right pieces. We saw this ability at times last year without the right pieces so it stands to reason it could work, at least to some degree.

There is some thought the defense will benefit from cohesion and the staff getting their own players. We know how that sounds to readers and fans but assuming they get Ocahun Mathis we should see improvement regardless. The addition of Gary Patterson may help as well, but it’s important to note Patterson has a ton of respect for Pete Kwiatkowski dating back over a decade.

One note on linebacker, Lorenzo McCaskill will visit on April 1st. The Ragin’ Cajun transfer is looking at a number of solid programs with linebacker needs.

Another note on linebacker, a number of people were wondering where they were on Saturday.

4 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Any chance Sark could make a change at DC right before the Spring practices are set to begin?.. or right after?

I really don’t think PK is as bad of a coach, but man this feels like Shawn Watson all over again where PK gets fired after we give up 70 to Bama.  except I guess the silver lining is Sark already hired the replacement DC. 

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I really don’t think PK is as bad of a coach, but man this feels like Shawn Watson all over again where PK gets fired after we give up 70 to Bama.  except I guess the silver lining is Sark already hired the replacement DC. 

Yeah but if you hired GP with that in the back of your mind, why even both retaining the guy?

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Yeah but if you hired GP with that in the back of your mind, why even both retaining the guy?

7 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Sark already hired the replacement DC. 

do you guys think Sarkisian hired GP? Did you see that guy when he was asked about it. That guy isn't here to replace PK in a break glass emergency ... 

36 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Coming into portal season, we heard the staff would focus on offense with the thinking they could put games out of reach and make life easier on the defense 

This is absolutely hysterical. Texas had two-score second half leads against both CCG participants, to say nothing of the Oklahoma game. After that experience, I don't know how they could not understand that no lead is safe with a defense that bad. Hope IT just got bad info here.

12 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Probably because you didn't really want to hire Gary Patterson in the first place. 

10 minutes ago, golfclap said:

do you guys think Sarkisian hired GP? Did you see that guy when he was asked about it. That guy isn't here to replace PK in a break glass emergency ... 

this x 2

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

"Yeah um I don't know if I even want him here so whatever next question please."

(not a direct quote but basically)

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

This is absolutely hysterical. Texas had two-score second half leads against both CCG participants, to say nothing of the Oklahoma game. After that experience, I don't know how they could not understand that no lead is safe with a defense that bad. Hope IT just got bad info here.

this x 2

Our offense was nearly as bad as our defense in spots. 
If we just move the chains more consistently, we probably win two more games last year.

the defense has more room for improvement, but we will see if they actually have a plan for that. That’s putting a lot of faith in development by the coaches who didn’t show much of it last year

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)