2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

1 minute ago, Hornlover said:

Do you think we trapdoor our 7 jags into the portal after we play in the Big XII championship but before we play the first CFP game, or do we wait until after the National Championship game is over to ask them to leave?

Depends on the start and end dates of this thing. We portaled like half our starting offense to USC in the last calendar year.

10 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

25+ starts, solid production, and two years of eligibility left - I'll take it.

We need about 7OL in a combination of the portal and in recruiting. Feel good about our current commits, need to close out on at least two tackles in the worst way plus another IOL, then pick up a minimum of 2 OTs in the portal. If we can do that, then Flood should have a serviceable room for next season. 

Edited by Vertigo

1 minute ago, Vertigo said:

We need about 7OL in a combination of the portal and in recruiting. Feel good about our current commits, need to close out on at least two tackles in the worst way plus another IOL, then pick up a minimum of 2 OTs in the portal. If we can do that, then Flood should have a serviceable room for next season. 

As bad as our OL needs are in portal, linebacker may be in worse shape.

• Hook 'Em 1

Normally I'd understand nitpicking players over every detail of their measurables and ratings. It's what we do as followers of recruiting. But these are not exactly normal times. When I see productive players from other programs pop up as potential transfers to Texas at positions of dire need, I'm willing to overlook quite a bit. We need guys who can step right in and get it done, whether they're future Sunday players or not. Get picky once the ship is under way again. 

43 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Normally I'd understand nitpicking players over every detail of their measurables and ratings. It's what we do as followers of recruiting. But these are not exactly normal times. When I see productive players from other programs pop up as potential transfers to Texas at positions of dire need, I'm willing to overlook quite a bit. We need guys who can step right in and get it done, whether they're future Sunday players or not. Get picky once the ship is under way again. 

Because another sort-of P5 level OL who can't pass protect fixes our line issues?

Edited by texifornia

47 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Because another sort-of P5 level OL who can't pass protect fixes our line issues?

Ha. I do have standards on transfers, whether on the OL or elsewhere. All I'm saying is that we could use an infusion of guys who are simply serviceable. Not studs, just experienced players who've consistently played well, relative to their talent. Right now, at several positions I'd gladly trade a lower ceiling for a higher floor. It's clearly no long-term strategy, but one we might benefit from at the moment. 

Rattler entering portal is bad news for us. Was hoping OU situation would turn into a fucking dumpster fire or Riley would keep trying to start the reptile and lose the support of the team. Unlikely but a man can dream. Rattler getting the fuck out asap just makes him look like a whiny bitch (which to be fair he his) and lets Riley just say "look it isn't my fault this kid is a head case" and excuse his failure in developing him. 

3 minutes ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

Rattler entering portal is bad news for us. Was hoping OU situation would turn into a fucking dumpster fire or Riley would keep trying to start the reptile and lose the support of the team. Unlikely but a man can dream. Rattler getting the fuck out asap just makes him look like a whiny bitch (which to be fair he his) and lets Riley just say "look it isn't my fault this kid is a head case" and excuse his failure in developing him. 

We all knew what was going to happen, there was no chance this spiraled out of control. Besides, by all accounts Rattler is a douchebag that nobody likes so I don't think there is going to be any kind of locker room schism over this. 

2 minutes ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

If your goal was to take something that is indisputably a negative in one form or fashion for the OU program and contort your way into a singular impossible scenario in which positive things play out for them, mission accomplished. 

The logic pretzels some of you rubes twist yourself into in order to find Texas downside are hard to fucking read.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

what's the QB depth chart look like OU now? An injury to Williams could mess them up big time now

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

I think Rattler leaving makes it easier for teams to get back in on Malachi Nelson. He and Rattler have similar mobility, and Riley is already bailing on Rattler in a season where he was supposed to take the next step. Can he actually develop a QB he recruited straight out of HS?

It's a lose-lose situation, but Riley probably sees the team respond better to CW.

Edited by Atticus
  • Hook 'Em 2

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)