2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

I got us at 85 pending Dicker's formal announcement.
2018 - 8 remaining players + Dicker maybe
2019 - 9 remaining players
2020 - 18 remaining players
2021 - 23 remaining players
2022 - 27 incoming players

Conceptually you knew the team was going to be really young next year but seeing it laid out like that is something. There are going to be some lumps taken. Hopefully some highs to match.

Just now, gmr548 said:

Conceptually you knew the team was going to be really young next year but seeing it laid out like that is something. There are going to be some lumps taken. Hopefully some highs to match.

It's all lumps right now. Lumps all the way down.

I'd rather it be with a young team because at least I can have hope.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Reese Bennett said:

He lasted longer than I thought he would, had his chance, and played pretty OK at times. Best of luck to him.

He cannot consistently hit the deep ball. I keep coming back to that one throw where Worthy is running wide open on the left side and Thompson, under no pressure sails the ball 10 yards out of bounds. He never set his feet and shouldered every throw. Then you watch film on Ewers and the guy is going to hit all of those deep routes. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

22 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

He cannot consistently hit the deep ball. I keep coming back to that one throw where Worthy is running wide open on the left side and Thompson, under no pressure sails the ball 10 yards out of bounds. He never set his feet and shouldered every throw. Then you watch film on Ewers and the guy is going to hit all of those deep routes. 

That’s one of the many things this offense was missing. We didn’t have a QB with a consistent deep ball. It’s was painful listening to Sark in pressers say we will eventually hit these. Just never really happened and this offense is built to take big shots down field. Can’t wait to see Ewers throwing deep

21 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

That’s one of the many things this offense was missing. We didn’t have a QB with a consistent deep ball. It’s was painful listening to Sark in pressers say we will eventually hit these. Just never really happened and this offense is built to take big shots down field. Can’t wait to see Ewers throwing deep

We got one good look at what the offense can be in the first half of the OU game. Casey was hitting those throws and we were running them out of the cotton bowl. 

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

Here's a LB to watch. PK liked this tweet and sounds like he might be hitting the portal. 

Projected top 10 NFL pick edge but with injury history? Yes, fucking please. Sign me up. An even moderately healthy season from him and this entire defense takes a leap. Maybe that's what the Choater was really doing in Hawaii? 

• Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

The entire team’s reaction to Ewers hitting the portal told me everything I need to know about Thompson (and Card).

When your star receiver is desperately trying to get another QB so transfer in, that’s not a good sign. 

9 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Projected top 10 NFL pick edge but with injury history? Yes, fucking please. Sign me up. An even moderately healthy season from him and this entire defense takes a leap. Maybe that's what the Choater was really doing in Hawaii? 

Would love to start a pipeline into the Pacific Islander communities.  Those dudes are different.

Vahe was the start...maybe this dude..

Is the talk still that if we sign 7 OL we are not taking anyone in the portal? Assuming we need 7-8 guys we can count on it looks like we can expect Majors, Karic, Jones, Angilau, Conner, Campbell, Banks to be key contributors next year. Are we counting on Parr or Garth to be players next year? If not, it looks like we could still use a one year rental while 4-5 guys from this class redshirt. 

29 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Is the talk still that if we sign 7 OL we are not taking anyone in the portal? Assuming we need 7-8 guys we can count on it looks like we can expect Majors, Karic, Jones, Angilau, Conner, Campbell, Banks to be key contributors next year. Are we counting on Parr or Garth to be players next year? If not, it looks like we could still use a one year rental while 4-5 guys from this class redshirt. 

Yes - Gerry/Bobby have been adamant that the number is ‘7’ OL in whatever combination they could get them. Looks like it’s going to be all HS. 

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Yes - Gerry/Bobby have been adamant that the number is ‘7’ OL in whatever combination they could get them. Looks like it’s going to be all HS. 

Maybe I heard them differently on the pod. I came away thinking they've been told or heard that 7 is the number. Simply a target IMO.

30 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Hutson, Neto, Robertson, and Agbo will also be in the mix, even if they aren't day 1 ready. 

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

If we don't get a portal OT, are we conceding a true freshman at one spot and Jones/Karic at the other? Portal OT please. 

Of course we are. Not one of our starting 5 played consistently worth a shit this season. No one should think they're playing without earning it come next season. I don't see how we don't take a ready OL from the portal if he wants to join.

Just now, Goodman said:

Maybe I heard them differently on the pod. I came away thinking they've been told or heard that 7 is the number. Simply a target IMO.

When asked on the forums if Texas was in it for any portal OTs Gerry has said ‘7’ is the number. Now maybe he’s softened his stance now that it looks like all 7 will be HS - but as of NSD1 Gerry was saying they’d only take 7. 

2 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Of course we are. Not one of our starting 5 played consistently worth a shit this season. No one should think they're playing without earning it come next season. I don't see how we don't take a ready OL from the portal if he wants to join.

Maybe the goal is long-term program stability and building for championships, instead of short term bandaids for a season in which we aren't competing for championships?

3 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Maybe the goal is long-term program stability and building for championships, instead of short term bandaids for a season in which we aren't competing for championships?

This is Texas. You always do both. Build while you win. Mack stopped building when he was winning...

• Hook 'Em 3

34 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I am making some serious assumptions like Hookfin and Merrill are not contributors next year and only Banks and Campbell are college ready at this point. Is there any chance we process another 1-2 linemen after the spring? I’m thinking crashing a motorcycle is not a great way to secure a roster spot. 

2 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I am making some serious assumptions like Hookfin and Merrill are not contributors next year and only Banks and Campbell are college ready at this point. Is there any chance we process another 1-2 linemen after the spring? I’m thinking crashing a motorcycle is not a great way to secure a roster spot. 

I would think so right? Any one that portals now, and especially OL can be replaced and not count against the numbers (up to 7) right? 

10 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Neto might be college ready as well

5 hours ago, Junior Bonner said:

Incorrect. "It will apply at the end of the first term (students who depart on or after the earlier of the last day of the school's fall term or Dec. 15, 2021, which is the first day of the early National Letter of Intent signing period)."

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/general-di-council-approves-one-year-waiver-of-football-scholarship-limits

But, as CTJ and others have repeatedly pointed out, don't worry about the numbers. We'll be fine.

Regardless of the specific cutoff, we already had 7+ portal entrants so our initial counter cap is the constraint not the 85. That's why Champ Lewis couldn't sign on Wed and may be Blueshirted. Comes in for the fall but doesn't play and gets added as a '23 counter (unless he chooses another school by Feb) 

2 minutes ago, Shonen said:

Regardless of the specific cutoff, we already had 7+ portal entrants so our initial counter cap is the constraint not the 85. That's why Champ Lewis couldn't sign on Wed and may be Blueshirted. Comes in for the fall but doesn't play and gets added as a '23 counter (unless he chooses another school by Feb) 

Correct. But Don’t forget about early entrants. Some of those enrolling early will be counted against last year. And that number is not easily identifiable because some of those from last year counted against the year before, etc. etc.

Edited by Junior Bonner

22 minutes ago, Viper said:

I would think so right? Any one that portals now, and especially OL can be replaced and not count against the numbers (up to 7) right?

We already had 7+ portal, so any more does nothing for us other than ensure we can take a full 25 next cycle.

11 hours ago, Shonen said:

returning seniors like Overshown and Jamison not being factored into the 85 cap helps, but the bigger constraint was always going to be the initial counter cap in a given signing cycle which the NCAA only increased by up to 7 on a 1:1 for any portal attrition for the cycle through 12/15/21. That would mean 32 for us plus any we could count back to '21 for unused initial counters in that cycle which is where the 33 number came from.

I think it only counts for players who'd otherwise be out of eligibility. Overshown and Jamison would be able to play even without the extra covid year, so they don't count, I believe 

16 hours ago, immamac said:

If Casey was in the portal from somewhere like OU or USC or LSU would we be freaking out to take him? 
there’s your answer. 

same holds true with Wiley. For those of you who were blind Gunnar Helm can block, not quite as good as Cade yet, but he’s the heir apparent there. All 3 of juan JT and Brayden can block better than Wiley and all 3 are faster. 

I'm all on the Helm train. Kid is legit. 

Know this is probably nothing (Sark liked it) but not my favorite thing to see from X's mom

When you’re digging into player’s mom’s tweets to find something to worry about, probably just time to put the phone/laptop away for a little while.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 3

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)