2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Didn't you see the bowl game?  Lincoln Riley was holding that offense back.  

Well yeah. He spent all season reading bios on the usc roster, low key directing recruiting efforts, and meeting with usc boosters.  And then on Saturdays he would hunt down his ou visor and call a few plays. 

7 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Who the fuck cares where the coaches are from?  So they know where the mess hall is on Day 1 - big damn deal.  This continues to read like fan-fic.  Lincoln Riley was an outsider who was holding back OU's greatness - they needed to get back to the OU way and hire the DC who was fired by the former DC they hired as coach who was now acting as interim Head Coach.  Because he has OUDNA - even though he played for Kansas St.

This is almost as ridiculous as typing out that 'Caleb Williams was willing to walk-on at OU'.  I mean - did you actually believe that?

7 minutes ago, Mantis Toboggan, MD said:

OU’s offense is not going to be better without Lincoln Riley. No chance.

5 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Didn't you see the bowl game?  Lincoln Riley was holding that offense back.  

The 2021 offseason has been full on weirdo fan fic. 

1 hour ago, quigley said:

First, based on what people in Norman are saying, I'll be surprised if Williams comes back. OU should be tampering the hell out of Dillon Gabriel.

I've asked you all for other serious ideas as to where he'll go, and the options you've presented illustrate the point that staying at OU makes a lot of sense for Williams. There are about 120 schools he could transfer to and start immediately. But only about 2-3 that make sense for him. This is because the other teams are significantly worse that OU or have unstable coaching situations. If he goes to somewhere other than ND, Wisconsin, or I guess Ole Miss (is Kiffin stable anywhere, ever?), it will be a big departure for a family that, heretofore, has made logical, calculated decisions.

If there ever was a plug and play new head coach and staff, this is just about as close as it gets. The offensive coaches (though I don't like all of the hires) are all from OU or OU alums. Venables history at OU is known, and the new coaches on defense it appears will all have ties to OU. Even if Venables is terrible, OU isn't going to fire him soon.

No doubt that OU underachieved this year, but they still finished 11-2 and will have about 7 starters returning on both sides of the ball at present. If Williams comes back, that number could go up to 9 on offense (only losses Hayes-OG, Hall-FB). Based on several factors, Williams returning next year will mean OU's offense next year will be significantly better:
- Simpler scheme
- OL that keeps 4/5 starters and won't be ridiculously fat
- Williams own year 1 to year 2 improvement
- Better RB (Brooks, surprisingly, may stay; but they'll get 1-2 top 10 RB coming in for the 2022 class regardless; they worked on RB pass game a little for the bowl game so maybe they'll work on blitz pick up for next yr?)
- WR only loses Hazelwood, who wasn't good at OU. Simmons didn't develop the room. Gundy will get a chance to see if he can coach them up.

There is scuttlebutt that there is about to be some massive portaling from OU. Just looking at the depth chart, I'd imaging there will be some high upside DBs in the portal. Some above average LB could also look to move. OU is left with bread on the DL, and could lose 1-2 there too. On offense, they could push out a couple of non-factor OL out from an already depleted OL room. The biggest losses would be from the WR group. Woods has said he's coming back, but Mims has been non-committal, and Mario Williams could leave too. OU would be need a big name portal QB to be considered a good spot for portal WR.

OU's offense will be better due to simpler scheme? Come on now.. 

Also, if Williams goes, I would imagine that Wease and Mims would both be on portal watch. What WR wants to stick around after their HC/OC, position coach, and both starting QBs leave?

Williams could be the last straw for a bunch of guys. Venables might have a full blown rebuild on his hands next season if things don't break the right way. 

This is why you don't overreact to bowl games. Oregon was down like 40 scholarship players and now OU fans think Riley was the problem because they beat a mediocre team without half their roster. 

Half of us did the same thing with Casey Thompson last year lol

Side note I remember when there was a rumor that sark could bring Bryce Young with him and some Texas fans were still on the Casey bandwagon lol.

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Who the fuck cares where the coaches are from?  So they know where the mess hall is on Day 1 - big damn deal.  This continues to read like fan-fic.  Lincoln Riley was an outsider who was holding back OU's greatness - they needed to get back to the OU way and hire the DC who was fired by the former DC they hired as coach who was now acting as interim Head Coach.  Because he has OUDNA - even though he played for Kansas St.

You may not be as exasperated if you actually read what I wrote. I didn't say Riley was holding them back. Please see below where I spell it out, again.

1 hour ago, Mantis Toboggan, MD said:

OU’s offense is not going to be better without Lincoln Riley. No chance.

@Pato del Muerto

If Williams doesn't come back, I agree with you that OU's offense is likely worse next year.

If Williams does return, I think OU's offense will likely be better next year. OL was not good. Just getting the OL to not be fat would be a big start. The RB and WR will likely be better. The Briles scheme is certainly simpler than Riley's. You may not like it, but QB growth is greatest from starter year 1 to year 2.

I will take a Venables defense over a Grinch defense every day. Brent's defenses in Norman and at Clemson give you an almost 20 year history of why.

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

This is why you don't overreact to bowl games. Oregon was down like 40 scholarship players and now OU fans think Riley was the problem because they beat a mediocre team without half their roster. 

I agree with you about bowl games being meaningless, especially OU's last two vs Oregon and Florida. That's why I didn't reference the bowl AT ALL in my post. OU should've beaten the Ducks much worse last night. The Sooner DL was mush vs the run and pass. OU's most consistent CB was torched multiple times. The OL looked even more out of shape.

The positives I did take from it were that Williams was more willing to check down and was more on time with his throws. OU still didn't get Mims very involved, but one of the freshman WR (Farooq) looked OK.

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

OU's offense will be better due to simpler scheme? Come on now.. 

Also, if Williams goes, I would imagine that Wease and Mims would both be on portal watch. What WR wants to stick around after their HC/OC, position coach, and both starting QBs leave?

Williams could be the last straw for a bunch of guys. Venables might have a full blown rebuild on his hands next season if things don't break the right way. 

Please see above RE: scheme.

Now back to portal talk!

RE: WR portaling. I agree, and I even mentioned in the post you quoted that they may have an exodus of WR even if Williams stays. Quoting myself:

"The biggest losses would be from the WR group. Woods has said he's coming back, but Mims has been non-committal, and Mario Williams could leave too. OU would be need a big name portal QB to be considered a good spot for portal WR."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RE: rebuild. Williams staying or going and who replaces him is the key variable. If Williams stays, OU should be a top 10 team next year. If Williams goes, but OU gets Dillon Gabriel, then the Sooners may still be a top 10 team. If Williams goes and the WR room clears out because OU's starting a freshman, then OU's going to obviously regress. Even in worst case, I think OU's going to still going to be okay (8-9 wins pre-bowl), because the floor is high. Details below.

Offense - Woods, Mims, and Mario Williams are the only WR I care about right now. Woods has said he's staying for a 6th year (Covid year). Wease has to show me more before I'd get to worked up if he leaves. The RB room will probably be better (they must block better though). The OL should be better because of conditioning alone.

Defense - The DL being a mess was anticipated and confirmed last night. They're recruiting HS and portal guys right now. The LB are probably okay but could be hit by portal losses. Venables history as a LB guru may prevent an exodus here. The DB room could see a bunch of people portal. They have talent here that has been poorly coached and deployed. If the new hire is Jay Valai, as feared, this could be bad. If it is Steve Clinkscale, as hoped by me, this could be a huge upgrade.

Edited by quigley

8 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I don't think Williams is leaving ou. He's the top dog there and he's a special talent. He's very young, but you can see he has all the tools. BV should be sucking his dick to keep him. 

Not hard to negative recruit veer and shoot’s ability to get you ready for the NFL. If I were Riley, I’d cast a lot of doubt on the benefit of wasting 2 years in that system. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, quigley said:

First, based on what people in Norman are saying, I'll be surprised if Williams comes back. OU should be tampering the hell out of Dillon Gabriel.

I've asked you all for other serious ideas as to where he'll go, and the options you've presented illustrate the point that staying at OU makes a lot of sense for Williams. 

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Professor Chesney said:
Watching the 4-6 poorly shot plays from this video, Neyor will Cleary improve UT’s WR talent level.

Elle Woods What Like Its Hard GIF - Elle Woods What Like Its Hard Legally  Blonde - Discover & Share GIFs

Come on, if you can fucking catch the ball, you immediately improved our WR talent level. 

• Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

Per 247 - the kid had Ivy League offers.  Then committed to Tech before decommiting and going to play for Fitzgerald at Northwestern.  Clearly has the grades - maybe academics are important enough that he doesn't want to go play at the diploma mill in his hometown?

4 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Per 247 - the kid had Ivy League offers.  Then committed to Tech before decommiting and going to play for Fitzgerald at Northwestern.  Clearly has the grades - maybe academics are important enough that he doesn't want to go play at the diploma mill in his hometown?

This guy or the Colorado Safety please.

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)