2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

8 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

So when we physically whipped OU, OSU and Baylor for a half, that wasn't because of S&C but when we lost the leads it was because of S&C?

Drawing Motivation GIF

9 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Also, practice structure? 

This team does FAR less reps than any of our competitors and practices in a very old school style. FAR less. There are more guys watching drills and practice than actively practicing at any given time, even when broken down in positional drills. that is not modern college football. 

Look, if you think this team is as physical as the teams under Herman and if you think that there isn't a S&C problem - that's cool - but we will for sure agree to disagree until the end of time. 

• Hook 'Em 3

30 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Well played.  I went to the correct "UT"; my wife graduated from TN, though.  Most of the friends that I left in Knoxville were engineers, so I wasn't dealing with the bottom of the barrel while there.  

I will say this...  There is a definite imbalance in perception between what the two fan bases think of one another.  It would have never occurred to me to consider TN any type of rival because of the initials.  Matter of fact, I went to the TN v Arky Cotton Bowl game as a kid and loved the Vol fans - partially due to my hatred for Arkansas.  The second I stepped foot in Knoxville, I was subjected to "We're the real UT" on just about a daily basis.  I mean FAR more than one would expect even knowing there might be a bit of conflict of interest.  

I should have known what I was getting into at my first tailgate.  I got into an argument with a group (3 women; 2 men) who were under the impression that the Lady Vol basketball team would beat any college men's team.  And I'm talking double digits.  I believe it was the fall after Arizona beat KY.  They were adamant that the Lady Vols would have beat either team.

How much White Lighting had those morons had?

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Just like they felt good about what they had last year and let Baylor grab an all-conference center in the transfer portal that we desperately needed? Idk if you even watched last season, but we’re past the point of giving the staff the benefit of the doubt.

When your extremely shitty OL loses one of its best starters and the staff only brings in true freshman, it’s a problem. 

shit is there another all conference Center available or did Baylor take that one again?

14 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Just like they felt good about what they had last year and let Baylor grab an all-conference center in the transfer portal that we desperately needed? Idk if you even watched last season, but we’re past the point of giving the staff the benefit of the doubt.

When your extremely shitty OL loses one of its best starters and the staff only brings in true freshman, it’s a problem. 

This is where I am at. I get that with a seven player class in total at the position numbers are where they want to be but I would process at least one player after the spring and get one true starter in the portal. I wasn’t thinking that way previously but that’s when I was mistaken about there being a hard limit on transfers. Essentially outside of interior defensive line and running back every position should be upgraded with a transfer if possible.

Realistically if we got 5-6 starters from the portal that would be amazing if they hit the key groups. But at some point we are going to have to also scheme better and improve players on our own roster. Offensive line is the one position where more experience and coaching can have a real effect unlike some other positions. It is at least possible that another year for some of these players will yield better results than 2021. 

45 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

So when we physically whipped OU, OSU and Baylor for a half, that wasn't because of S&C but when we lost the leads it was because of S&C?

Two quick questions. Do you know that the C in S&C stands for conditioning? And do you know what conditioning means?

Because routinely losing leads in the second half pretty directly  points to a conditioning issue. Your statement is literally the worst way to make the point you’re trying to make.

Edited by Lonestar88
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

This is where I am at. I get that with a seven player class in total at the position numbers are where they want to be but I would process at least one player after the spring and get one true starter in the portal. I wasn’t thinking that way previously but that’s when I was mistaken about there being a hard limit on transfers. Essentially outside of interior defensive line and running back every position should be upgraded with a transfer if possible.

Realistically if we got 5-6 starters from the portal that would be amazing if they hit the key groups. But at some point we are going to have to also scheme better and improve players on our own roster. Offensive line is the one position where more experience and coaching can have a real effect unlike some other positions. It is at least possible that another year for some of these players will yield better results than 2021. 

this coming season will be Majors 3rd year in the program, no?  Does that count for something or does it need to be upgraded immediately. Hudson/Robertson need a RS year

5 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

this coming season will be Majors 3rd year in the program, no?  Does that count for something or does it need to be upgraded immediately. Hudson/Robertson need a RS year

Majors can absolutely get better with another offseason and camp. That’s doesn’t mean we sit by and not try to get another player from the portal. But absolutely every single player in that group that is not severely limited physically can improve. 

If we land Mathis, Neyor, Moody, and Bini, I think we still have room for two more, be it late additions to the class or transfers. I think at that point you wait for difference making best players available regardless of position, aside from QB or RB. Or maybe an elite younger guy from 2021 or a 2022 who's already made it to campus who we missed on the first time around. 

38 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Herman's teams were undisciplined, with physically weak offensive lines who couldn't run the ball outside of Ehlinger hero ball and had running backs and WR's who looked and moved like LB's by their 3rd year on campus. If the S&C was so good Yancy McKnight wouldn't be unemployed for the second straight offseason. Herman mastered the late score to make thorough beatings looks like close defeats (Maryland 2017, OSU 2018, OU 2019, Baylor 2019). His teams were whipped plenty of times and I don't give out lollipops for playing through the whistle. We played through the whistle against Kansas after trailing by 21 at half this year if we want to hang our hat on that.

The "physicality" of Herman's teams was definitely overrated but this is just silly. Look at every single bowl game we played under Herman; the common theme is that we were physical as hell and wore down the opponent over the course of the game. When Sark makes a bowl game of his own we can revisit this argument.

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

confusion-chess.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Cool.  That's not where LSU listed him on the depth chart in 2019 or 2020.

2019:

image.png.c0544df21ee8693681d318284e248621.png

2020:

image.png.01ac27effd7ca703860bbd2e860b725c.png

LSU based out of an odd front (3 man line) where the OLB was a standup edge player, so Ray Thornton was an edge player for them too.

Lulz.  Another gem from Volnation...

Sark: "Hey...look what I did somewhere else with an O that was loaded at everyone spot....oh, don't worry about what I did here last year....that was just 1st year issues"

Heup: "Hey...look what I did here last year with whatever talent I inherited...my best WR was a 2* just like you...and oh yeah, he's back so defenses won't be able to focus on you...and our QB is back...honestly, why are you even thinking about the other UT"

• Haha 3

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - If You Ain't Tamperin', You Ain't Tryin'
3 minutes ago, AlamoHorn210 said:

We're going to spend the entire offseason talking ourselves into believing career backups from the SEC are the missing piece to our defense again, aren't we?

no. we are going to move on to the man in the longhorn pullover at the basketball game last night with CDC

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Shonen said:

LSU based out of an odd front (3 man line) where the OLB was a standup edge player, so Ray Thornton was an edge player for them too.

In the 2019 depth chart I would assume OLB/EDGE is the position K'Lavion C was playing/listed at.  Thornton was not listed as his backup - he's listed as the starter on the other side - but maybe he was flipping over and backing him up.  In the 2020 depth chart they list out 2 DTs and 2 DE's and have Thornton backing up Baskerville at OLB.

30 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

At this point I am tired of worrying about the OL every year. It has been a consistent probably for the better part of 2 decades. I am happy to give up some wins in 2022, if it means they continue to stock OL recruits. Only way to fix the problem long term is to continue load up on the younger classes. Grad transfers will help, but that is a short term fix. You are not going to bat 1.000 every year fishing OL out of the portal. I'd be a huge portal fan, if I thought Texas had a chance at the playoffs next year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

no. we are going to move on to the man in the longhorn pullover at the basketball game last night with CDC

I'm thinking we see Alabama pull Sarkisian's staff's pants down, then publicly and brutally buttfuck the entire staff on national tv in the second weekend. I'm thinking something that would make Jodie Foster's character in The Accused think the Texas staff got it bad, like 65-10. That begins the process of cycling out the staff, with Kwiatkowski being driven to the city limits and thrown out of a slow rolling vehicle headed north, and Patterson is then named the "interim" DC for the remainder of the year.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 4

35 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

Worthy, Billingsly, Neyor, Whittington and Thompson sounds pretty good to me, although I would prefer Rice, Irvin, Moss and Megatron as well.

Great, TE, Not here yet, always hurt, true freshman. 
If we got Neyor in the portal that would be 2 guys I trust at WR. Better than the 1 currently that we have, and sark doesn’t play a ton of 4 and 5 WR sets, but going into a year without 3 proven WR seems light- especially with a 1 (or 1.5) man WR class coming in. 
They should be looking to take 2 portal WR. The room is in that bad a shape. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

Just now, closetojumping said:

I'm thinking we see Alabama pull Sarkisian's staff's pants down, then publicly and brutally buttfuck the entire staff on national tv in the second weekend. I'm thinking something that would make Jodie Foster's character in The Accused think the Texas staff got it bad, like 65-10.

Because Saban's terrified of us.  He knows what's coming.  Am I doing this right?  Is this thing on?

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Scholz said:

Because Saban's terrified of us.  He knows what's coming.  Am I doing this right?  Is this thing on?

Huh. I guess that's the aggie way to see it. Mostly, I think it's just the fact that Nick Saban is an Imp of Satan and enjoys violently buttfucking other grown men in public against their will. It might help keep him young, along with feeding on the fresh blood of small children.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

shit is there another all conference Center available or did Baylor take that one again?

There have been a ton of good OL in the portal again this year. Guys that would be immediate starters and upgrades. Ole Miss got a western Kentucky OL who was all conference, UVA had multiple good OL transfer and there’s many more. We haven’t gone after them. 

40 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

in the era of the portal, there’s no fucking reason to go into next year hoping on a whim that Majors finally learns to anchor as your only real option at Center. Grab a transfer OL so you have more than option at finding a quality starter at one of the most important positions in the offense. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I'm thinking we see Alabama pull Sarkisian's staff's pants down, then publicly and brutally buttfuck the entire staff on national tv in the second weekend. I'm thinking something that would make Jodie Foster's character in The Accused think the Texas staff got it bad, like 65-10. That begins the process of cycling out the staff, with Kwiatkowski being driven to the city limits and thrown out of a slow rolling vehicle headed north, and Patterson is then named the "interim" DC for the remainder of the year.  

And this is the second best result we could hope for long term for the program, probably, behind us winning. 

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Huh. I guess that's the aggie way to see it. Mostly, I think it's just the fact that Nick Saban is an Imp of Satan and enjoys violently buttfucking other grown men in public against their will. It might help keep him young, along with feeding on the fresh blood of small children.

sad alex jones GIF

• Haha 7

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Gotta admit, I did not have "CTJ outed as a Q member" on my offseason bingo card.

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Maybe we will beat them by 55.

2 minutes ago, Daichee Bell said:

Coaching?

If we get those transfers, I won’t consider talent or depth to be an overarching concern; these will be the 5 questions going into the season (in order):

1. How good can Quinn Ewers be in 2022?

2. How good can an OL be when the 2 deep will be made up of 5 experienced holdovers from last years shitty unit combined with 5 highly touted true freshmen?

3. Can our coaches effectively utilize the talent and depth in the front 6-7?

4. Can the veteran DBs hold things down until the inexperienced depth asserts itself?

5. Can the kicker be good enough to keep from costing us a game?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Great, TE, Not here yet, always hurt, true freshman. 
If we got Neyor in the portal that would be 2 guys I trust at WR. Better than the 1 currently that we have, and sark doesn’t play a ton of 4 and 5 WR sets,  it going into a year without 3 proven WR seems light- especially with a 1 (or 1.5) man WR class coming in. 
tbey should be looking to take 2 portal WR. The room is in that bad a shape. 

I'd rather have 2 portal edges than 2 WRs if we had to choose. I think one good portal WR is ok when combined with Worthy, JWhitt when healthy, Billingsley as a TE/WR hybrid, and possible step ups from Dixon and Washington (both of whom should be ok as depth guys imo). Then wild cards like Thompson, Alexis, and Omeire. So your main receiving options would basically be Worthy, JWhitt, Portal guy, and Billingsley, with the rest as backups. I can live with that for sure.

Meanwhile at edge we have 2-sack Ovie, out of position Collins, and a bunch of guys who've basically never played (Sorrell being the most notable so far). We have to land Mathis but then you're still starting Ovie and with very little depth. Need 2 there.

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

the world is thinking Bama is going to blow Texas out. Their defense got much better over the course of the year and they are bringing back a good chunk of the starters. They have a Heisman QB. Texas will set the record for the largest home dog in Texas history in week 2. 

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

With or without chokehold?

2 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

the world is thinking Bama is going to blow Texas out. Their defense got much better over the course of the year and they are bringing back a good chunk of the starters. They have a Heisman QB. Texas will set the record for the largest home dog in Texas history in week 2. 

and then Bama will cover.

• Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

I'd rather have 2 portal edges than 2 WRs if we had to choose. I think one good portal WR is ok when combined with Worthy, JWhitt when healthy, Billingsley as a TE/WR hybrid, and possible step ups from Dixon and Washington (both of whom should be ok as depth guys imo). Then wild cards like Thompson, Alexis, and Omeire. So your main receiving options would basically be Worthy, JWhitt, Portal guy, and Billingsley, with the rest as backups. I can live with that for sure.

Meanwhile at edge we have 2-sack Ovie, out of position Collins, and a bunch of guys who've basically never played (Sorrell being the most notable so far). We have to land Mathis but then you're still starting Ovie and with very little depth. Need 2 there.

I'm hoping Marion can work magic with Washington and Dixon. Washington was an All-American in high school, played in the AA game. Dixon was higher rated than most of the WRs we have been anxious to pull out of the portal. Maybe a developmental coach will be the difference.

CHIEF

• Like 1

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)