2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

31 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

I'm pleased with the new WR. I'm also pleased everyone else is in a good mood over this. So when do we start bleeding in our panties over lack of LB and DE transfers? Asking for a friend.

Well, we supposedly lead for Mathis, so if we close that one out, that’ll be your DE/Edge.

Moody is the LB transfer. I can’t garner any excitement about him, I think he’s a JAG, but I guess JAG is still better than Brockemeyer.

21 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Worthy, Whittington, Neyor, Billingsley, Dixon, Washington, Omerie, Ja'Tavion Sanders, etc

Personal opinion:

Worthy- Do everything guy. Should rarely leave the field

Whittington- Needs to stay healthy. Has shown the ability to go over the middle of the field and be pretty reliable on 3rd down. He's probably the WR3 after Worthy and Neyor right now.

Neyor- Outside WR. Can do a little bit of everything. Probably not using him on jet sweeps or in the misdirection game like we use Worthy.

Dixon- One trick pony right now. He's fast and has shown not much else. Apparently struggled with the playbook last year per IT which is a red flag. Entering his 3rd season now so if he still isn't making noise after the spring the writing is probably on the wall.

Billingsly- Flex TE/redzone nightmare. Will probably use him a lot like we used Cade Brewer while Helm probably takes over the in-line TE role.

Washington- Can do a little bit of everything except stretch the field. I bet Marrion will really like him so he'll get some PT. Luckily we don't need to count on him to catch 30+ passes.

Omeire- Still hasn't played a college snap. Two knee surgeries. Doesn't really fit a typical WR profile for Sark. I'm not holding my breath. 

Sanders- He needs to watch what Billingsly does and replicate it.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 7

39 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

I'm pleased with the new WR. I'm also pleased everyone else is in a good mood over this. So when do we start bleeding in our panties over lack of LB and DE transfers? Asking for a friend.

The quicker the better. It’s a prerequisite to landing one

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Personal opinion:

Worthy- Do everything guy. Should rarely leave the field

Whittington- Needs to stay healthy. Has shown the ability to go over the middle of the field and be pretty reliable on 3rd down. He's probably the WR3 after Worthy and Neyor right now.

Neyor- Outside WR. Can do a little bit of everything. Probably not using him on jet sweeps or in the misdirection game like we use Worthy.

Dixon- One trick pony right now. He's fast and has shown not much else. Apparently struggled with the playbook last year per IT which is a red flag. Entering his 3rd season now so if he still isn't making noise after the spring the writing is probably on the wall.

Billingsly- Flex TE/redzone nightmare. Will probably use him a lot like we used Cade Brewer while Helm probably takes over the in-line TE role.

Washington- Can do a little bit of everything except stretch the field. I bet Marrion will really like him so he'll get some PT. Luckily we don't need to count on him to catch 30+ passes.

Omeire- Still hasn't played a college snap. Two knee surgeries. Doesn't really fit a typical WR profile for Sark. I'm not holding my breath. 

Washington - Can do a little bit of everything except catch the ball

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

10 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Personal opinion:

Worthy- Do everything. Should rarely leave the field

Whittington- Needs to stay healthy. Has shown the ability to go over the middle fo the field and be pretty reliable on 3rd down.

Dixon- One trick pony right now. He's fast and has shown not much else. Apparently struggle with the playbook last year per IT which is a red flag. Entering his 3rd season now so if he still isn't making noise after the spring the writing is probably on the wall.

Omeire- Still hasn't played a college snap. Two knee injuries. Doesn't really fit a typical WR profile for Sark. I'm not holding my breath. 

Washington will most likely back up Neyor on the outside and Brennan Thompson will probably back up Whittington at first with Dixon backing up Worthy. We should run mostly 11 and 12 personnel this year. Enough blockers for Bijan plus Billingsly as a flex TE that can stretch the field with Neyor and Worthy on the outside and JWhit working the middle is suddenly very interesting. Helm and Davis as our in line blockers should be good if they continue to progress over the spring. Provided our line shows a big improvement with the influx of talent, we could easily have one of the top offenses in the B12 this year with even average QB play.

Edited by Vertigo

4 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Provided our line shows a big improvement with the influx of talent, we could easily have one of the top offenses in the B12 this year with even average QB play.

Um...

I actually think they'll be a bit better due to another year with Flood, but expecting true freshmen to change much of anything about an offensive line is a fool's errand.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Um...

I actually think they'll be a bit better due to another year with Flood, but expecting true freshmen to change much of anything about an offensive line is a fool's errand.

Dude. I’m a Texas fan. I’ve been on a fool’s errand for 13 years… 

Edited by Junior Bonner
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Just now, texifornia said:

Um...

If you don't think some combination of Devon Campbell (allegedly), Kelvin Banks, Cole Hutson, or Cam Williams are not going to be starting at some point next year I don't know what to tell you. They will be starting because they will be better than guys who have been in the program for multiple years. This is not a bad thing.  I am not saying they will be the new hogs immediately, but they will upgrade the line in a tangible way. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

If you don't think some combination of Devon Campbell (allegedly), Kelvin Banks, Cole Hutson, or Cam Williams are not going to be starting at some point next year I don't know what to tell you. They will be starting because they will be better than guys who have been in the program for multiple years. This is not a bad thing.  I am not saying they will be the new hogs immediately, but they will upgrade the line in a tangible way. 

Why is it that Texas is the only major school where it seems like we need a couple of years to get our recruits up to speed, excluding Worthy and Bijan? Not saying they won’t experience some struggles along the way, especially when we play quality Dlines, but I’m expecting these guys to play a lot early and play well. 

I tried to search but couldn't find anything.  Did someone previously post (I believe) PFF advanced metrics that supported the case of Neyor being a baller?
Lot of touches to distribute between Bijan, X and now Neyor.
Wyoming didn't throw as much (37% of plays, ranked 123rd in country;  we were are 45% and 82/130) but he commanded similar attention from his QB.
X got 28.6% of team receptions, 36.3% of yards and 41.4% of touchdowns.
Neyor got 27.2%, 41.5% and 80.0% while at Wyoming.  

So you’re saying you’re worried about the pass distribution numbers.

6 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

They may be starting. But there's not a lot of evidence to support the fantasy of them coming in and playing well. And only Hutson is an early enrollee. So that's another data point suggesting they're not gonna be ready.  

2 minutes ago, Theo Aquacates said:

Why is it that Texas is the only major school where it seems like we need a couple of years to get our recruits up to speed, excluding Worthy and Bijan? Not saying they won’t experience some struggles along the way, especially when we play quality Dlines, but I’m expecting these guys to play a lot early and play well. 

Because you don't pay attention to other schools that go through the exact same growing pains the same way you pay attention to Texas.

• Hook 'Em 5

4 minutes ago, Theo Aquacates said:

Well, as far as the O/D lines are concerned, Texas isn’t the only major school who needs years for the position to develop. The lines  are a grown man position. Physically, a 21/22yr old who’s been in a collegiate S&C program for years is just going to over power a young buck

Edited by The Deuce

12 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

While I know you were staying, “This is not a bad thing,” in reference to potentially more talented freshman replacing less talented upperclassmen, I’d argue that it is a bad thing. 

Part of the ongoing issue with Texas Football is the pattern of relying on freshman significantly contributing at multiple spots along the offensive line. That’s not a favorable nor viable solution for most programs. There will be growing pains, no matter how much potential they have. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Holy shit the OL takes today are out there. Very few OL are ready to play at a solid level their TR FR years, even the highly rated ones. 

32 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

You’re out of your mind if you think having 4 non-EE true freshman starting next year would be anything but a bad sign. We’ll be fortunate to have two of the 7 guys we took become decent starters next year. 

24 minutes ago, Theo Aquacates said:

Every good school gives their OL years to develop. Part of the reason we’ve sucked is because we’re such a mess at OL that we force guys to play early. The plan should always be for OL to ride the bench for 1-2 years unless they’re so good you can’t keep them off the field. We might have a couple of those this year in Banks and Campbell. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Holy shit the OL takes today are out there. Very few OL are ready to play at a solid level their TR FR years, even the highly rated ones. 

You’re out of your mind if you think having 4 non-EE true freshman starting next year would be anything but a bad sign. We’ll be fortunate to have two of the 7 guys we took become decent starters next year. 

Every good school gives their OL years to develop. Part of the reason we’ve sucked is because we’re such a mess at OL that we force guys to play early. The plan should always be for OL to ride the bench for 1-2 years unless they’re so good you can’t keep them off the field. We might have a couple of those this year in Banks and Camp elk. 

image.gif.bfafe685471f10ca4839a60ab6974047.gif

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

If Williams picks LSU it’s about money. 

If "USC" is motivated and needs to spend, they can find money to spend with anyone

This mostly feels like drumming up drama before making an announcement, and/or making USC donors commit more money to the NIL pot as the deadline approaches 

This is why Riley is an idiot for not just sticking with Dart in the first place 

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

While I know you were staying, “This is not a bad thing,” in reference to potentially more talented freshman replacing less talented upperclassmen, I’d argue that it is a bad thing. 

Part of the ongoing issue with Texas Football is the pattern of relying on freshman significantly contributing at multiple spots along the offensive line. That’s not a favorable nor viable solution for most programs. There will be growing pains, no matter how much potential they have. 

In regards to freshman surpassing/replacing players already in the program, I’d say it should only be considered a bad thing if the returning player didn’t improve their skill set. If players are being developed and improving, but still get surpassed, then you tip your cap to the superior talent and roll with them

27 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Big NO to that and the one that’s probably most ready to play isn’t on your list.

9 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Every good school gives their OL years to develop. Part of the reason we’ve sucked is because we’re such a mess at OL that we force guys to play early. The plan should always be for OL to ride the bench for 1-2 years unless they’re so good you can’t keep them off the field. We might have a couple of those this year in Banks and Camp elk. 

Yeah, we won't have more 2 (at most) freshman starting. Angilau and Majors are locks to start. Hayden Conner or Campbell can't be any worse than some of the guard play we've seen the last few years. The tackle spots will be two of Banks, Karic or Jones. I know Christian Jones has looked bad at times and is a whipping boy for a lot of fans, but I actually thought he looked better last year than 2020 (low bar, I know) so if he takes another step forward (very possible, for the first time in a decade I saw the OL improve as the season went along) he should be good enough to get by in this conference. Again, we don't need need the OL to be superhuman. If they are simply average we take a big step forward as an offense. I thought they played average in a handful of the losses last year and we pissed away the win in other phases.

Also, it's not going to matter who we trot out against Will Anderson and Dallas Turner so that argument is just wasting time.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Against those two edge monsters for Alabama? Yeah, I really wish Banks was here this spring.

Yeah and Quinn isn't built to absorb those big blindside hits that Jones gives up by whiffing on blocks. There are times where Jones is not even out of his stance and the edge rusher has blown by him.

28 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Against those two edge monsters for Alabama? Yeah, I really wish Banks was here this spring.

They would abuse him too. They are both top 5 picks in the NFL draft. It's not going to matter who we put out there. It could be Jones, a freshman or a portal guy. Won't matter. We will have to do our best to scheme around them.

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

They may be starting. But there's not a lot of evidence to support the fantasy of them coming in and playing well. And only Hutson is an early enrollee. So that's another data point suggesting they're not gonna be ready.  

If what we trotted out onto the field last year is our floor, then that just means they are better than the floor. We can always go back to the floor if one of those guys turtles up like Karic did last year. To @texifornia point, the line should be at least moderately better in general due to another offseason with Flood, but if Devon Campbell comes in off the street and is a clear upgrade over a starter, then that would mean he would have to consistently perform better to stay on the field. We now have options instead of being stuck with guys who are getting turnstiled all game. 

3 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

If what we trotted out onto the field last year is our floor, then that just means they are better than the floor. We can always go back to the floor if one of those guys turtles up like Karic did last year. To @texifornia point, the line should be at least moderately better in general due to another offseason with Flood, but if Devon Campbell comes in off the street and is a clear upgrade over a starter, then that would mean he would have to consistently perform better to stay on the field. We now have options instead of being stuck with guys who are getting turnstiled all game. 

But you’re the one saying 4 will play while also assuming 4 of them will be better than what we have, which is just circular reasoning. 

It would be amazing if 4 true freshman supplanted current starters. That’s just not going to happen, though.

I don’t know if a single HS recruiting class has ever produced 4 OL starters in their first year outside of maybe massive injury issues. 

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)