2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

But you’re the one saying 4 will play while also assuming 4 of them will be better than what we have, which is just circular reasoning. 

It would be amazing if 4 true freshman supplanted current starters. That’s just not going to happen, though.

I don’t know if a single HS recruiting class has ever produced 4 OL starters in their first year outside of maybe massive injury issues. 

I believe he said "some combination of these 4 guys are going to start at some point next year". That's very different than saying all 4 will be starting together. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

But you’re the one saying 4 will play while also assuming 4 of them will be better than what we have, which is just circular reasoning. 

It would be amazing if 4 true freshman supplanted current starters. That’s just not going to happen, though.

I don’t know if a single HS recruiting class has ever produced 4 OL starters in their first year outside of maybe massive injury issues. 

I said some combination of the 4 will start, not that all of them would start. That could be 1 or 2 guys, but those 4 guys look to be the most ready to come in and contribute. 

Edited by Vertigo

2 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

I believe he said "some combination of these 4 guys are going to start at some point next year". That's very different than saying all 4 will be starting together. 

Just now, Vertigo said:

I said some combination of the 4 will start, not that all of them would start. That could be 1 or two guys, but those 4 guys look to be the most ready to come in and contribute. 

Reading is hard. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Um...

I actually think they'll be a bit better due to another year with Flood, but expecting true freshmen to change much of anything about an offensive line is a fool's errand.

Well with all this talent at the skill position, and a QB that doesn't hold the ball for 10 seconds, the OL is going to look a lot better because everything else is not a shitshow anymore.

17 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

If what we trotted out onto the field last year is our floor, then that just means they are better than the floor. We can always go back to the floor if one of those guys turtles up like Karic did last year. To @texifornia point, the line should be at least moderately better in general due to another offseason with Flood, but if Devon Campbell comes in off the street and is a clear upgrade over a starter, then that would mean he would have to consistently perform better to stay on the field. We now have options instead of being stuck with guys who are getting turnstiled all game. 

If your plan for improving the OL is to start multiple true freshman, you're in fucking trouble.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

This can be fixed. That's piss poor footwork with no leg planted and thus no strength to combat the bull rush. Hopefully that type of thing Flood can fix, or Banks is already better at, if at least as strong. 

well it was the second game of the season and people have been saying the line got better by the end of the year ...

18 hours ago, Constant said:

It’s probably because Texas has had 7 WR’s drafted since 2000. Only 1 one of those a 1st round pick. 

17 hours ago, Constant said:

Well, I think the proof shows it’s pretty relevant. Texas has very little history developing talented WR into professional football players. 

This is as smart as the A&M blowhards who said Derrick Johnson shouldn't go to Texas because A&M had better recent linebackers. Or as smart as Adrian Peterson going to Oklahoma to win a national championship.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

This is as smart as the A&M blowhards who said Derrick Johnson shouldn't go to Texas because A&M had better recent linebackers. Or as smart as Adrian Peterson going to Oklahoma to win a national championship.

Whether it’s objectively smart matters less than whether recruits think it is. Players with NFL aspirations want to go to a school that has a recent history of putting guys in the league for their position. 

Edited by Redmen62

Just now, Redmen62 said:

Whether it’s smart matters less than whether recruits think it is. Players with NFL aspirations want to go to a school that has a recent history of putting guys in the league for their position. 

I didn’t realize this was such a controversial position. OU has a hard time getting premier DB’s for the same reasons. 

27 minutes ago, Redmen62 said:

Whether it’s objectively smart matters less than whether recruits think it is. Players with NFL aspirations want to go to a school that has a recent history of putting guys in the league for their position. 

You mean recruits like the top 100 four star in the transition class or one of the top transfer portal WRs who both came to Texas? Or was it the four star top 100 receiver who signed this year? 

Texas's WR history has zero to do with why our top WR target this year didn't sign with Texas. 

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Moody was a jag. Better guys will be available after the spring. This will end up being a blessing 

I hope we find someone better. 

FWIW, the comments on Bama 247 - from subscribers and mods - were almost entirely positive, and voiced the expectation that he would at least content for a starting spot.  Here are a couple of mod responses to the skeptics = 

image.thumb.png.f8496ec5abcd0ce03df34edec3d978e8.png

image.thumb.png.88034e539d52d4daf4f3974b2200e3fd.png

So given

- our situation

- Bama's seeming willingness to at least take him back

- and NIck Saban's ruthlessness w/ jettisioning deadweight

it's hard to see this as a positive.

FYI, they say he could put his name back in after Spring, so that could still happen.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Getafix said:

I hope we find someone better. 

FWIW, the comments on Bama 247 - from subscribers and mods - were almost entirely positive, and voiced the expectation that he would at least content for a starting spot.  Here are a couple of mod responses to the skeptics = 

image.thumb.png.f8496ec5abcd0ce03df34edec3d978e8.png

image.thumb.png.88034e539d52d4daf4f3974b2200e3fd.png

So given

- our situation

- Bama's seeming willingness to at least take him back

- and NIck Saban's ruthlessness w/ jettisioning deadweight

it's hard to see this as a positive.

FYI, they say he could put his name back in after Spring, so that could still happen.

I’m not discounting their opinions, but I think Saban values the fact he plays on pretty much every special teams unit and is a good player there more than he does his LB skills. I’m sure he laid out some sort of plan to get him additional defensive reps which is why he’s staying. 

This might be the sunshine pumper in me talking, but with the number of blowout games Bama has had the last 4 years you would think he would have more than 44 career tackles or whatever if he highly thought of as a defensive player. A guy who Saban has big plans for in 2022 doesn’t enter the portal the day after the national championship imo.

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

I’m not discounting their opinions, but I think Saban values the fact he plays on pretty much every special teams unit and is a good player there more than he does his LB skills. I’m sure he laid out some sort of plan to get him additional defensive reps which is why he’s staying. 

This might be the sunshine pumper in me talking, but with the number of blowout games Bama has had the last 4 years you would think he would have more than 44 career tackles or whatever if he highly thought of as a defensive player. A guy who Saban has big plans for in 2022 doesn’t enter the portal the day after the national championship imo.

Yeah - why the fuck would we want that?

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

After the past 2 years, Saban would be wise to hang on to every healthy LB he has. The special teams skills are a nice plus as well. 

I’m sure Saban sold Moody on being the first man off the bench, you’ll get plenty of tape BS. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

23 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I think Saban also values the fact that they play us early next season.

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)