2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

closetojumping

6 hours ago, Bevo14 said:

Some rando brand called Van Leeuwen is the king of ice cream around here. Ridiculously fucking good. 

A firm I'm involved with represents them from a marketing and PR perspective in some regions. They're pretty freaking smart. That said, try helping someone sell Mac'N'Cheese ice cream to the masses. Some tough work.

4 hours ago, Doc Reeves said:

Right, now.

‘Beats’ was an incredibly shitty line of headphones developed by Monster cables, then they got Dr. Dre to pretend to have something to do with the audio when he just sold them his name and said what he liked and didn’t about a few pair of prototypes. Beats were shit but fuck it “we legit” now and sales exploded. Dre then double dealt Monster by making a deal with Apple in the Billions which almost got cancelled because dipshit went on insta and announced it drunk with a buddy despite Apples strict insistence on secrecy. Oops. So now Apple sells Dre ‘Beats’ headphones which are still absolute shit and Dre is fighting over his money with his soon to be ex-wife because Dre didn’t get a prenup- in fucking CA.

They were discussing the Beats/Apple deal this morning on Varney & Co. (Fox Business radio on XM, sue me, they do better work than CNBC for actual business discussions IMO) and they were talking about that deal only making sense for Apple because of the Beats streaming platform and music catalog which could then quickly be transposed onto their existing business assets seamlessly.

Thus, to Apple, that deal made, and still makes, a lot of sense. This was all in the context of why Apple is very unlikely to be legitimately interested in the Peloton deal versus others such as Nike, Amazon and Disney. FWIW.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Thus, to Apple, that deal made, and still makes, a lot of sense. This was all in the context of why Apple is very unlikely to be legitimately interested in the Peloton deal versus others such as Nike, Amazon and Disney. FWIW

Yup. Apple is the best at doing what is best for Apple. They are pretty damn close to being like a Corp pseudo gov. They also make electronics or something.

Edited by Doc Reeves

First job was at Braums sophomore year of high school. The managers were all arab and so was probably half the staff. They'd keep me up there until 130 am on school nights cleaning and doing bullshit while my dad fumed in the parking lot waiting to pick me up and half of them would just hang out in the office. Fuck that place I quit after 2 weeks

3 hours ago, cmontexas said:

First job was at Braums sophomore year of high school. The managers were all arab and so was probably half the staff. They'd keep me up there until 130 am on school nights cleaning and doing bullshit while my dad fumed in the parking lot waiting to pick me up and half of them would just hang out in the office. Fuck that place I quit after 2 weeks

Your name in Arabic translates to "Weak American."

The ice cream still sucks.

4 hours ago, cmontexas said:

There’s no way this story is true. No one has ever cleaned a Braum’s. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Gave up beer two years ago.

I'm on a long-term diet, man.  
I say long-term because after two years I've only lost 33lbs.  

From 220lbs to 187lbs.  

Been hovering at 187-188 for two weeks now.  arghh.

But it was a nice, sudden drop from 192-194lbs.

I learned how to drink hard liquor from an Armenian (shout out to a semi-Armenian Sarkisian) and that was Stoli vodka.

And by learn, I mean I learned how to out-drink everybody.

So, it being low carb, I now drink nothing but Stoli.  I'll mix it with some other low carb stuff when I drink, which is only like once a week anymore.

Borrrringggggg

diets suck ass.

getting healthier is kinda cool though.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, ATXbronco said:

So, it being low carb, I now drink nothing but Stoli.  I'll mix it with some other low carb stuff when I drink, which is only like once a week anymore.

Borrrringggggg

diets suck ass.

So..., Monday nights are the night I see.

Edited by nunna yo bizness
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, ATXbronco said:

Gave up beer two years ago.

I'm on a long-term diet, man.  
I say long-term because after two years I've only lost 33lbs.  

From 220lbs to 187lbs.  

Been hovering at 187-188 for two weeks now.  arghh.

But it was a nice, sudden drop from 192-194lbs.

I learned how to drink hard liquor from an Armenian (shout out to a semi-Armenian Sarkisian) and that was Stoli vodka.

And by learn, I mean I learned how to out-drink everybody.

Borrrringggggg

diets suck ass.

WHY? Tequila, Whiskey, Vodka, Gin and Run all have 0 carbs. If it is about Carbs, why not pour Tequila or Bourbon. Something with some actual flavor. 

15 hours ago, Tree Fidy said:

Beard proves coaching matters. Let’s get this $hit straight on the football field.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/college-basketball-rankings-gonzaga-no-1-in-preseason-ap-top-25-poll-ahead-of-no-2-ucla-no-3-kansas/

started preseason #5. I would say Beard is sadly making good on a Longhorn tradition. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Meh.  That was all hype - we turned over almost our whole roster, and had to incorporate a lot of high level transfers + old players into a brand new scheme and coaching.

The potential is there.  Which is what preseason polls are.  This team is not #5 but is a top 15 squad. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 2/7/2022 at 1:08 PM, closetojumping said:

A firm I'm involved with represents them from a marketing and PR perspective in some regions. They're pretty freaking smart. That said, try helping someone sell Mac'N'Cheese ice cream to the masses. Some tough work.

They were discussing the Beats/Apple deal this morning on Varney & Co. (Fox Business radio on XM, sue me, they do better work than CNBC for actual business discussions IMO) and they were talking about that deal only making sense for Apple because of the Beats streaming platform and music catalog which could then quickly be transposed onto their existing business assets seamlessly.

Thus, to Apple, that deal made, and still makes, a lot of sense. This was all in the context of why Apple is very unlikely to be legitimately interested in the Peloton deal versus others such as Nike, Amazon and Disney. FWIW.

I don't see Amazon buying Peloton.  Amazon doesn't do "premium" products well.

On 2/7/2022 at 1:08 PM, closetojumping said:

Fitness, via Apple Watch, is part of Apple's branding not Amazon or Disney's.  How can Peloton be integrated with Apple Watch fitness and what would the ROI be are the questions for Apple.  Nike producing daily interactive streaming content would be way outside their traditional apparel and sporting goods. 

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

1 hour ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

I don't see Amazon buying Peloton.  Amazon doesn't do "premium" products well.

1 hour ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Fitness, via Apple Watch, is part of Apple's branding not Amazon or Disney's.  How can Peloton be integrated with Apple Watch fitness and what would the ROI be are the questions for Apple.  Nike producing daily interactive streaming content would be way outside their traditional apparel and sporting goods. 

Just to be clear, I was passing on what the analysts were saying about suitors, not providing my own take. Generally speaking, I am not great at understanding large publicly traded company behaviors when it comes to M&A.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Scholz said:

At least the Maryland losses don't seem so bad anymore.  So there's that.

The good thing about the Maryland game is that I sat in front of the Maryland cheerleaders and someone in the group (tickets came from the AD) kept handing me free beer.

Maryland.thumb.png.c5d8beda90e9504d62d128a076b4a5b5.png

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 1

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)