2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

10 hours ago, westexhorn said:

couldnt beat out current starter i think

Yep.

Recruited to UGA to play tackle, the 6-foot-7, 330-pound sophomore has been unable to unseat either left tackle Broderick Jones or right tackle Warren McClendon through four weeks of spring practice. Mims did not show up for practice last Thursday and did not participate in the Bulldogs’ scrimmage at Sanford Stadium this past Saturday

A couple other nuggets from this article

Clay Webb, a fourth-year junior from Oxford, Ala., and another former 5-star prospect, also has informed the Bulldogs he intends to transfer.

The 6-3, 290-pound Webb was expected play center at Georgia, but he has sat behind Sedrick Van Pran and Warren Ericson.

And this one too

Georgia will be significantly over the 85 scholarship limit when the remaining incoming freshmen of the 2022 signing class join the team by the first of June. The Bulldogs will need to be under by the time they enroll for summer semester.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-bulldogs/amarius-mims-other-georgia-o-linemen-headed-into-transfer-portal/L6D57D2VPRGUVDA627QWE2DZEQ/

I keep seeing we had good YPC, and the o'line was improving as the season went on.
That's good but I think the most important thing for an offensive line is being able to get the 1 or 2 yards needed for a 1st down when the opponent knows you are going to run.
Don't think we've been very good at that.
I don't have any stats to back that up other than my drunken memory of many failures trying to make short yardage first downs.  

802b6f89ba6419c30b28161d363baeb4.png

Ranked #43 in Power Success Rate, which is 3rd/4th downs less with 2 yards or less to go resulting in 1st or TD.
  • Hook 'Em 5

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Hahahah. I’m going to assume his big problem was Herman but the fact he quit the team in the middle of a game BJ Foster style is still somewhat of a red flag to me. Didn’t someone say last week he was a jag at UCLA?

He injured his shoulder at Texas. Yancy and Herman accused him of faking the injury. He was legitimately injured and transferred. I believe @Sbbruin said Johnson was better in coverage than the run. 

Just now, Schulz2.0 said:

He injured his shoulder at Texas. Yancy and Herman accused him of faking the injury. He was legitimately injured and transferred. I believe @Sbbruin said Johnson was better in coverage than the run. 

Got it. I remember reading about the Herman and Yancy stuff a few pages back..

Would be a nice depth piece for sure but would prefer someone who is more of a run stuffer. I guess beggars can’t be choosers.  

On 4/10/2022 at 8:12 AM, Hookem2147 said:

If taking Mims causes someone like Neto to hit the portal a week after he gets on campus that’s a one for one trade I’ll happily make.

You think Neto hitting the portal would be a one for one?  No other ramifications whatsoever?  Really?  

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

You think Neto hitting the portal would be a one for one?  No other ramifications whatsoever?  Really?  

I was using that as an example. If getting Mims means we lose one of the current tackles on campus or one of the freshman OL besides Banks or Campbell, that's a trade you probably make considering Mims upside.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I was using that as an example. If getting Mims means we lose one of the current tackles on campus or one of the freshman OL besides Banks or Campbell, that's a trade you probably make considering Mims upside.

I would think so too. Mims coming from a year in the GA strength program as a former 5 star should easily be able to lock down a spot at one of the tackles. Not being able to unseat the entrenched starters at Georgia is not necessarily a red flag. I say you put him on the right side and let Kelvin Banks run the left side. If that means Jones or Karic get their panties in a wad then I would be able to live with that. That said I still don't see it happening. 

8 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I was using that as an example. If getting Mims means we lose one of the current tackles on campus or one of the freshman OLoh, i kn besides Banks or Campbell, that's a trade you probably make considering Mims upside.

Oh, i know what you meant. And id agree, except for the example you used. 

Neto transferring would impact his brother and cousin in all probability. 

Im not aware of any connections the other incoming Oline have thatd be impacted by their immediate transfer. 

Other than a bad look for other recruits, trading an incoming freshman for a experienced former 5 star, yeah, you take that all day. 

11 minutes ago, Big Woodrows said:

Bobby Burton confirmed we're pursuing Agiye Hall and that Texas has a "better than average" chance of landing him

Does Texas really want "Agiye" ??

Agiye Hall suspended by Alabama for team rules violation

Mike Rodak, al.com  4 days ago

Alabama coach Nick Saban said wide receiver Agiye Hall is suspended from the team and indicated the suspension could be permanent.

AAVY9ff.img?h=491&w=874&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

© Ben Flanagan/al.com/TNS Wide receiver Agiye Hall during the Walk of Champions. pregame  ahead of the Crimson Tide's kickoff against New Mexico State Saturday, Nov. 13, 2021.

“He is suspended from the team for violations of some team rules, whether they’re academic or whatever, it doesn’t really matter,” Saban said Wednesday. “Everybody has a responsibility and obligation to respect the principles and values [of the program] and do what they need to do — they’re all there to help them be more successful, so to respect those and do those is always really helpful.”

Asked what Hall could do to earn his way back to the team, Saban said Hall already had that opportunity once and, “I don’t know what his plans are for the future.”

Agiye Hall removed from Alabama roster; ‘news to me,’ he tweets

Hall, a freshman last season, was removed from Alabama’s online roster Tuesday. He later quote-tweeted a report about his removal and wrote, “news to me , but fs [for sure].”

Hall was a top-50 recruit in the 2021 class who starred during the 2021 spring game and saw playing time in the season opener against Miami, catching one pass. Saban said later in September that Hall was getting “better and better” and expressed optimism that he would contribute soon.

“We try to get our guys to understand that that dependability is really important in their life for them to be successful, as well as in school to be successful, as well as in football to be successful,” Saban said Sept. 22.

But the playing time for Hall, who attended multiple high schools in the Tampa area, did not come. He tweeted apparent frustration with his playing time after a blowout October win at Mississippi State.

“I’ve said this before that there’s players that have talent, but they have to learn how to use it,” Saban said days later. “And they have to use it in an effective way, in a way they practice. It’s up to the player to impress the coaches that they can be trusted to go into game and do what they’re supposed to do.”

Hall was not in uniform the following week against Tennessee.

“What we do with our players on our team is really kind of our business, and we’re encouraging guys to do the right thing, whether it’s personally [or] academically,” Saban said after that game. “We have protocols that when guys miss so many things, they don’t get to play in a game. That’s always been a rule around here.”

Hall, though, returned to appear in a November game against New Mexico State and then saw time in each of the Tide’s two College Football Playoff games. That included early-game snaps before Jameson Williams’ injury against Georgia, then increased playing time the rest of that national championship loss.

Hall caught only two of eight targets against Georgia for 52 yards, including a 28-yard gain, but dropped a would-be touchdown pass from Bryce Young. Weeks later, Saban lamented how three young Alabama receivers did not take advantage of injuries to Williams and John Metchie but did not specifically name any.

7 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

Oh, i know what you meant. And id agree, except for the example you used. 

Neto transferring would impact his brother and cousin in all probability. 

Im not aware of any connections the other incoming Oline have thatd be impacted by their immediate transfer. 

Other than a bad look for other recruits, trading an incoming freshman for a experienced former 5 star, yeah, you take that all day. 

Maybe, but in reality they don't impact one another. True freshmen offensive linemen are unlikely to play. 5 star linemen with experience are not very likely to finish their eligibility before turning pro. So at most the starting left tackle would play 2 years and if that is too long for a freshman to play left tackle, well that is a problem with the freshman.

54 minutes ago, Big Woodrows said:

Bobby Burton confirmed we're pursuing Agiye Hall and that Texas has a "better than average" chance of landing him

9 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

So weird 

Of the 130 Div I schools, the average chance of landing him is around 0% .

If Texas has a 20% chance of landing him - that's still "better than average".

Edited by Hornlover

24 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Campbell, Banks, Umeozulu, and Williams aren't coming to Texas to RS. They are likely on the 2 deep the minute they step foot on campus. It's hilarious that you guys continue to bitch about Texas not bringing in a portal guy to take away from those dudes PT.

I'm not one of the people bitching, but I'm curious why you think it is hilarious that people are?

18 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Campbell, Banks, Umeozulu, and Williams aren't coming to Texas to RS. They are likely on the 2 deep the minute they step foot on campus. It's hilarious that you guys continue to bitch about Texas not bringing in a portal guy to take away from those dudes PT.

It is hilarious that you think a high school player can immediately come in and start at left tackle and be highly successful against D1 defenses. It is also funny that you think a 2 year rental has much of an impact on fall incoming freshmen.  A starting caliber left tackle, defensive end, and linebacker will increase our win total by at least 2 games. And freshmen linemen can provide depth instead of redshirting, anyway. We have seven guys coming in and not all seven are going to start. Maybe none of them will. But, for damn sure some of them can be better than Max Merrill or whatever walk-ons are on the second team.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Bevo said:

It is hilarious that you think a high school player can immediately come in and start at left tackle and be highly successful against D1 defenses. It is also funny that you think a 2 year rental has much of an impact on fall incoming freshmen.  A starting caliber left tackle, defensive end, and linebacker will increase our win total by at least 2 games. And freshmen linemen can provide depth instead of redshirting, anyway. We have seven guys coming in and not all seven are going to start. Maybe none of them will. But, for damn sure some of them can be better than Max Merrill or whatever walk-ons are on the second team.

Ya got 4 games to find out.

I really don’t understand the whole Mims vs. incoming freshmen argument. In what world is a guy who has two years of college under his belt not a better option than a freshman? The guy is huge, clearly making progress based on what his coaches have said, and was behind an AA which warranted him not getting playing time. If you’re Flood, I’d have to think this is a no brainer. If anything, this gives the guys who are projects (like Cam Williams) more time to develop into the high ceiling guys they could be.

• Hook 'Em 2

43 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I'm not one of the people bitching, but I'm curious why you think it is hilarious that people are?

I think it's more asinine than hilarious. Unless you can find a 2-3 year starter at OL in the portal, with equal or better upside to Banks, Campbell, etc.,  you are basically sacrificing a better chance at a playoff run in 2023 or 2024 for an extra win or two in 2022. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Octavian said:

I really don’t understand the whole Mims vs. incoming freshmen argument. In what world is a guy who has two years of college under his belt not a better option than a freshman? The guy is huge, clearly making progress based on what his coaches have said, and was behind an AA which warranted him not getting playing time. If you’re Flood, I’d have to think this is a no brainer. If anything, this gives the guys who are projects (like Cam Williams) more time to develop into the high ceiling guys they could be.

I don't recall hearing anybody say "No, don't bring on Mims" . I think there's been universal agreement so far that we should go after him. I'm not sure if he's interested in Texas, though.

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Are things still trending Texas with Mathis?

I haven't heard much to the contrary. Nebraska making a run with some NIL attached seems to be the only thing to overcome, and he is giving us a month to get it lined up if it wasn't already in place.

Edited by Vertigo

9 minutes ago, TXRed said:

Anything worth reading in this update?

— I spoke to sources today regarding TCU transfer EDGE Ochaun Mathis. Mathis is fresh off of a visit to Nebraska and it sounds like the Cornhuskers made a strong push for him. Shortly after returning home from Lincoln, Mathis tweeted that he would make his announcement at the end of this month. This race has mostly been Texas way out in front, but Nebraska is making it interesting. Still, after speaking to a source today near Mathis, their confidence remains on the Longhorns. The biggest factor they have going for them is their relative proximity to Mathis’ family and the fact that his mother could see him play often. Mathis hasn’t given anyone near him an indication of where he’s leaning, but those we talk to still feel Texas will be the pick.

— 247Sports’ Chris Hummer reported that UCLA transfer linebacker Caleb Johnson is focused on Texas and Miami as possible transfer destinations. If that name sounds familiar to you, it’s because Johnson signed with Texas out of JUCO in the 2019 class. He then left Texas mid-season and transferred to UCLA in January of 2020. While with the Bruins, Johnson started 17 of 18 games and accumulated 89 tackles and 2 interceptions. I checked with a source at Texas and there is indeed interest from the Longhorns who are looking to add depth at the inside linebacker position. While Johnson left the program in an awkward way previously, he hasn’t had any experience with this staff, so I don’t see that as a factor. The Longhorns have been looking to add bodies at the linebacker position via the Transfer Portal. Previous target Josh White recently committed to Baylor, and Texas has been kicking the tires on a few other prospects. We will continue to follow up to see what shakes out here.

— I checked with sources regarding Georgia offensive tackle transfer Amarius Mims. Texas has been in contact and is working to get the former elite recruit on a visit. I’ve reached out to Mims but haven’t heard anything back yet. Florida State has been one school mentioned heavily for the former five-star offensive tackle along with Miami. If the Longhorns get Mims on campus, they certainly have an appealing depth chart for Mims who is seen as a prospect with first round talent.

— I’ve checked around regarding Alabama transfer wide receiver Agiye Hall and haven’t found much there. Hall doesn’t really talk and sources at Texas have been tight-lipped about it. It does make sense for the Longhorns as Jeff Banks led his recruitment and he could help add another dimension to the Texas offense. We will continue to monitor sources for any chatter there.

— We’ve reported a few visitors for this weekend, and we can add another to the list. Montgomery (AL.) Catholic Prep running back Jeremiah Cobbtells 247Sports he will be in Austin for the weekend. Cobb holds 31 offers currently and has two Auburn predictions in on the 247Sports Crystal Ball. Cobb doesn’t claim an offer from Texas yet, but that could change after the visit.

• Hook 'Em 4

40 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

I think it's more asinine than hilarious. Unless you can find a 2-3 year starter at OL in the portal, with equal or better upside to Banks, Campbell, etc.,  you are basically sacrificing a better chance at a playoff run in 2023 or 2024 for an extra win or two in 2022. 

Now this is a stupid take. What’s wrong with a one year rental who starts next year while the freshman can wait until they are ready? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)