2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

closetojumping

2 hours ago, RGBIII said:

Dont visit that site on a work computer

shaggy is gone, 404 not found.

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

You dickhead. Yes, though, I am going to write one before that game. If the "Why Alabama Gargles Balls This Year" post from Shaggy can be found, I'll link to that at the end of it.

https://web.archive.org/web/20191115082140/http://www.shaggytexas.com/board/showthread.php/180930-2017-Alabama-Is-Going-To-Gargle-Your-Balls

1 hour ago, Fud said:

The bolded part isn't true based on yards per play, although perhaps you're using a different statistic 

2014 (Koetter): 8th

2015 (Shanahan): 11th

2016 (Shanahan): 1st

2017 (Sarkisian): 5th

2018 (Sarkisian): 5th

2019 (Koetter): 15th

Not to mention the offense actually improved in both scoring and total yardage in his second year (from 15th to 10th, 8th to 6th). The offense's biggest issue was the running game and red zone offense (kinda important?). You can put a lot of that on Sark, and also on what was one of the more overrated offensive rosters in the league, IMO. The team's overall biggest issue was having one of the shittiest defenses in the league. That team has been a fuck show of unreasonable expectations ever since the Pats came back and tea-bagged them in the Super Bowl. 

Edited by UncleBuck

45 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

If only Mack hadnt been so decisive about turning an elite spread Texas offense into some sort of bullshit halfbreed I formation 90's Alabama offense we might be on a different trajectory.  I also don't necessarily agree that Sark hasn't done anything different to fix known issues. His 22 recruiting class and transfer additions this year seem to close many but not all of the current and future roster holes. If the defense blows yet again this year and PK comes back for the following season, then I think you might be on to something. 

Maybe the killer attitude can be developed from a sense of confidence if we have a great season or two.  I'm going to hope for that in one hand and shit in the other and throw whichever one fills up first at my aggy neighbors front door.  I just hope he doesnt run me over in his car for it.

Examples:

a) Extreme lack of effort from some players was very evident but did not switch out guys till almost the end of the season.

b) Play calling kept falling back to comfort zone by his own words. Did nothing about changing his routine to help stop committing same error by his own words.

c) Knew the defense was broken but said he would only get involved until after the end of the season.

d) etc.., etc..

You have to be decisive can't just let it ride until the end of the season before getting involved and making decisions.

tenente-dike.png

9 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

1) I don't think you can "develop" a killer instinct. You've either got it or you don't.

2) I hope the Neyor stuff ends up being bullshit. I would rather have Neyor than Hall and his baggage, regardless of potential. 

If neyor is leaving because he’s scared to compete then he’s exactly the type of entitled player that we don’t need

• Hook 'Em 3

It's frustrating watching Baylor knock it out of the park on two straight hires with  Rhule and Aranda while we continue to flounder under Strong, Herman, and now Sark. Even LSU wasn't playing around and paid top $ for a proven winner in Brian Kelly, while we went dumpster diving for Seven Loss Steve.

Edited by 6th Street
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 3

4 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Even LSU wasn't playing around and paid top $ for a proven winner in Brian Kelly

Didn't 99% of this board NOT like the idea of Kelly coaching at Texas when rumors of such had been swirling during Tom's Great Dead Man Coaching Tour?

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

It's frustrating watching Baylor knock it out of the park on two straight hires with  Rhule and Aranda while we continue to flounder under Strong, Herman, and now Sark. Even LSU wasn't playing around and paid top $ for a proven winner in Brian Kelly, while we went dumpster diving for Seven Loss Steve.

I am not sure that Texas coudl handle that. Rhule cleaned it out and went to the ultimate underclassmen team. I really wish Sark would have been that cut throat. To be honest neither Aranda or Rhule have produced more than 1 good season. There was a time when Herman won 10 games in season 2 and predictions of grandeur were abundant. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NoName said:

to be clear, Neyor liked ONE Florida tweet

here are his recent follows:

image.thumb.png.79e13d44a4b715da43557e124dab7be7.png

lol

...this is classic idiots overreacting with no smoke behind it.

FCB saying he checked in with a source and Neyor is happy where he is and no one expects any move.

• Hook 'Em 2

39 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I am not sure that Texas coudl handle that. Rhule cleaned it out and went to the ultimate underclassmen team. I really wish Sark would have been that cut throat. To be honest neither Aranda or Rhule have produced more than 1 good season. There was a time when Herman won 10 games in season 2 and predictions of grandeur were abundant. 

That one good season from Aranda last year includes a Big 12 championship and is better than anything we've put together since 2009.

Regarding all the comments about whether Sark is running a tight enough ship, and in celebration of 4/20, we apparently have a few young high potential guys on the team more interested in sitting around and getting high than working hard on the field.

• Drool 1

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Regarding all the comments about whether Sark is running a tight enough ship, and in celebration of 4/20, we apparently have a few young high potential guys on the team more interested in sitting around and getting high than working hard on the field.

Kids these days!

11 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I don't see the problem

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Didn't realize today's date. Stopped in at a weed store in Boulder and there was a line. Rookie mistake. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Fud said:

The bolded part isn't true based on yards per play, although perhaps you're using a different statistic 

2014 (Koetter): 8th

2015 (Shanahan): 11th

2016 (Shanahan): 1st

2017 (Sarkisian): 5th

2018 (Sarkisian): 5th

2019 (Koetter): 15th

I was merely going off of memory from looking at whatever I was looking at in January of 2021, so the reality is I could have taken the thought in my head at the time of something like "well, that didn't blow anyone's skirt up given their talent" and 15 months later being "he wasn't Kyle Shanahan, who might actually be an offensive genius, and then he got fucking worse from there." 

Regardless, my statement wasn't meant to mislead, just to show the continuity of my thoughts on him without coaching under a legend. So, retract the "it got worse in year 2 part" and I'm fine with "things didn't turn north again and he was summarily fired."

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Mack Brown would have locked down Bryce Anderson in March.   Not all of those supposedly favorable recruitments we failed to close early  last year were because of bags and villainous rivals doing things out of our control. 

Agree with this fully. There were multiple recruitments that Mack closes in the 2022 cycle where Sarkisian did not. That said, Mack Brown and Bobby Bowden are probably the two best pure recruiters in our lifetimes, so it's a tough ask to be at that level. Anderson was just a total fuck-up as a recruitment right up until the end. They offered a chance to have Sarkisian come back in and make one more pitch to the mother in December and Sarkisian passed on the offer because he was mad about things earlier in the cycle with them. PJ Locke? I think helped set it up.

I still view Anderson as a prime candidate to be an early exit out of BCS and I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't wind up in Austin then. If he plays early, nevermind.

1 hour ago, UncleBuck said:

Didn't 99% of this board NOT like the idea of Kelly coaching at Texas when rumors of such had been swirling during Tom's Great Dead Man Coaching Tour?

I passed on info that Kelly's agent and Texas were talking in December of 2020 from someone that every poster on this board would believe. The info came from several people in the agent realm. It was immediately panned as a possibility by the posters on the thread with the notion that Kelly was happy at Notre Dame and would never leave there. Others shit on it because they felt like Kelly was an asshole and would be a bad fit at Texas. I believe that was all in the Urban Meyer Or Bust thread, but I could be off.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I was merely going off of memory from looking at whatever I was looking at in January of 2021, so the reality is I could have taken the thought in my head at the time of something like "well, that didn't blow anyone's skirt up given their talent" and 15 months later being "he wasn't Kyle Shanahan, who might actually be an offensive genius, and then he got fucking worse from there." 

no - you were right he was fucking terrible. 

The offense's scoring output, under Sarkisian's guidance, dropped from 33.8 points per game (leading the NFL in 2016 (Shanahan as OC) to 22.1 points per game in 2017 (Sarkisian). In 2018, the offense's scoring improved to 25.9 points per game.

Edited by golfclap

5 minutes ago, golfclap said:

no - you were right he was fucking terrible. 

The offense's scoring output, under Sarkisian's guidance, dropped from 33.8 points per game (leading the NFL in 2016 (Shanahan as OC) to 22.1 points per game in 2017 (Sarkisian). In 2018, the offense's scoring improved to 25.9 points per game.

And yet in 2015, under Shanahan, the Falcons averaged 21.2 pts per game. Was Shanahan a terrible coach in 2015?

• Hook 'Em 6

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Regardless, my statement wasn't meant to mislead, just to show the continuity of my thoughts on him without coaching under a legend. So, retract the "it got worse in year 2 part" and I'm fine with "things didn't turn north again and he was summarily fired."

Agree with this fully. There were multiple recruitments that Mack closes in the 2022 cycle where Sarkisian did not. That said, Mack Brown and Bobby Bowden are probably the two best pure recruiters in our lifetimes, so it's a tough ask to be at that level. Anderson was just a total fuck-up as a recruitment right up until the end. They offered a chance to have Sarkisian come back in and make one more pitch to the mother in December and Sarkisian passed on the offer because he was mad about things earlier in the cycle with them. PJ Locke? I think helped set it up.

I still view Anderson as a prime candidate to be an early exit out of BCS and I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't wind up in Austin then. If he plays early, nevermind.

I passed on info that Kelly's agent and Texas were talking in December of 2020 from someone that every poster on this board would believe. The info came from several people in the agent realm. It was immediately panned as a possibility by the posters on the thread with the notion that Kelly was happy at Notre Dame and would never leave there. Others shit on it because they felt like Kelly was an asshole and would be a bad fit at Texas. I believe that was all in the Urban Meyer Or Bust thread, but I could be off.

Yeah I remember the same on Kelly. He was in a group of other options after Urban that included Sarkisian as kind of a throw in name late. I don't like Brian Kelly, I think he is a disingenuous charlatan who is as big of an asshole as Herman in some respects. But as much as I don't like him and think him to be an overrated coach, I will say that he would have been a much better fit in Austin than in Baton Rouge. I think he just committed Sepuku with a golden kitana. 

• Hook 'Em 1

in what fucking universe is going 19-20 and immediately leaving for the NFL and then having the next guy go 2-7 his first year knocking it out of the park . If we had that kind of track record you would be in here bitching about how some other team just knocks it out of the park. Go gargle some Baylor balls someplace else

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

And yet in 2015, under Shanahan, the Falcons averaged 21.2 pts per game. Was Shanahan a terrible coach in 2015?

Don't be this fucking stupid - intentional ignorance is fucking tiresome and I have less than zero patience for that silly bullshit. Sarkisian took over a team that led the league in scoring, ATL scored 540 points under Shanahan and the very next season under Sarkisian they scored 353. Read that a couple of times. Shanahan has gone on to prove that he is an excellent coach both as OC and HC, while Sarkisian continues to strive to achieve mediocrity. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Don't be this fucking stupid - intentional ignorance is fucking tiresome and I have less than zero patience for that silly bullshit. Sarkisian took over a team that led the league in scoring, ATL scored 540 points under Shanahan and the very next season under Sarkisian they scored 353. Read that a couple of times. Shanahan has gone on to prove that he is an excellent coach both as OC and HC, while Sarkisian continues to strive to achieve mediocrity. 

When you’re at the top of the mountain there’s nowhere else to go but down.  🤷‍♂️ 

8 minutes ago, golfclap said:

or maybe Dan Quinn just fucking sucks

20 minutes ago, golfclap said:

The only stupid part of my post was willingly engaging with you and expecting you to use critical thinking when formulating a response. 

Perhaps PPG in and of itself is a bad metric for evaluating an OC? Perhaps there were personnel differences? Maybe, since they were coming off a shitty 2015 when they were 21st in PPG, they got an easy schedule in 2016. Maybe, coming off of a Super Bowl, they had a much tougher schedule in 2016. Perhaps Matt Ryan was ultra lucky in 2016. Or perhaps he wasn't healthy. Or maybe Dr Evil stole his mojo. 

Sarkisian's first season with the Falcons, he scored 353 pts. Shanahan's first season with the Falcons they scored 339 points. Read that a couple of times. It still doesn't mean whatever you think it means. 

Boiling down the performance of a single coach to one metric is stupid.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

Don't be this fucking stupid - intentional ignorance is fucking tiresome and I have less than zero patience for that silly bullshit. 

You are giving him permission to be slightly less fucking stupid. Are you sure that’s a good idea?

• Haha 1

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)