2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

closetojumping

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

Don't be this fucking stupid - intentional ignorance is fucking tiresome and I have less than zero patience for that silly bullshit. Sarkisian took over a team that led the league in scoring, ATL scored 540 points under Shanahan and the very next season under Sarkisian they scored 353. Read that a couple of times. Shanahan has gone on to prove that he is an excellent coach both as OC and HC, while Sarkisian continues to strive to achieve mediocrity. 

image.thumb.jpeg.b4453d8c643dcf8d3131ae18ac2e6cc9.jpeg

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I was merely going off of memory from looking at whatever I was looking at in January of 2021, so the reality is I could have taken the thought in my head at the time of something like "well, that didn't blow anyone's skirt up given their talent" and 15 months later being "he wasn't Kyle Shanahan, who might actually be an offensive genius, and then he got fucking worse from there." 

Regardless, my statement wasn't meant to mislead, just to show the continuity of my thoughts on him without coaching under a legend. So, retract the "it got worse in year 2 part" and I'm fine with "things didn't turn north again and he was summarily fired."

Agree with this fully. There were multiple recruitments that Mack closes in the 2022 cycle where Sarkisian did not. That said, Mack Brown and Bobby Bowden are probably the two best pure recruiters in our lifetimes, so it's a tough ask to be at that level. Anderson was just a total fuck-up as a recruitment right up until the end. They offered a chance to have Sarkisian come back in and make one more pitch to the mother in December and Sarkisian passed on the offer because he was mad about things earlier in the cycle with them. PJ Locke? I think helped set it up.

I still view Anderson as a prime candidate to be an early exit out of BCS and I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't wind up in Austin then. If he plays early, nevermind.

I passed on info that Kelly's agent and Texas were talking in December of 2020 from someone that every poster on this board would believe. The info came from several people in the agent realm. It was immediately panned as a possibility by the posters on the thread with the notion that Kelly was happy at Notre Dame and would never leave there. Others shit on it because they felt like Kelly was an asshole and would be a bad fit at Texas. I believe that was all in the Urban Meyer Or Bust thread, but I could be off.

Wouldn’t think you’d intentionally mislead anyone, just talking ball, and as I said, red zone and running game were terrible, which is pretty important regardless of your ppg and ypg etc… Your criticisms are more than valid.

As for the Kelly stuff, I’m just going off on memory. Trying to think back, but I don’t remember being terribly down on the idea, but as the thread said, it was “UM or bust” so we all had tunnel vision going on. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

I love seeing the U keep grabbing talent on D knowing that they have aggie early in the year and the shit show that the offense will be under a first year QB and no established TE in the Jimbo experience on O.

aggy is going to take the L there. I think Cristobal is a little overrated but he coaches circles around Jimbo.

17 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

I love seeing the U keep grabbing talent on D knowing that they have aggie early in the year and the shit show that the offense will be under a first year QB and no established TE in the Jimbo experience on O.

They've landed quiet a few transfers.

https://247sports.com/Season/2022-Football/TransferPortal/?institutionkey=24013

Miami also will have a pretty good QB this year.

33 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

aggy is going to take the L there. I think Cristobal is a little overrated but he coaches circles around Jimbo.

Not a huge fan of Cristobal. I’ll never forget watching his run the ball and lose the game on a fumble. That said he is dirty as fuck and a good recruiter, so Miami will get a major talent upgrade. Also a bad ass OL coach 

26 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Not a huge fan of Cristobal. I’ll never forget watching his run the ball and lose the game on a fumble. That said he is dirty as fuck and a good recruiter, so Miami will get a major talent upgrade. Also a bad ass OL coach 

He can build a program and hire good assistants, but he sucks at game management 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, closetojumping said:
  Hide contents

I definitely think he's softer than the archetypical winning Head Ball Coach. I think he adjusts for shit in games. He's got too favorable of a view of west coast talent. He's weak with his coaching and analyst personnel when it comes to cutting dead weight.

You can say what we are all thinking.  He needs to lose the man tits.  

Gary Patterson isn't here because Sark wanted him or because PK may suck and Gary will become DC.  Patterson is here because CDC thinks Sarks probably needs help in quite a few areas of evaluating the defense and he's most likely hedging having Sark's replacement ready if he shows up drunk or we have another 5-7 loss season.  This is great for Patterson because he can stay involved in football and slide in and take over if thing go south.   With that said, I'm not sure replacing Sark with another HC that didn't make a bowl game 2 years in a row is really a solution either.  My 2 cents on some of the Patterson posts.
As for Sark, the dude can put together an offense and call plays.  We need to use him to his strengths and keep him off the bottle if he's still partaking.  Then you ask Patterson to make suggestions to PK and/or bring in another DC that can handle that side.  At this point, we need to try to put together a similar setup as Riley at ou where he had Grinch handle all aspects of the defense and Riley mainly calling plays.
Unless he just really likes Austin and enjoys semi-retirement, fatty Patty will have HC offers after next season, maybe during. I think he's just doing his buddy CDC a solid by being around to quietly light a fire under Sarks ass...and I'm ok with that, but not him taking over the team permanently.

maybe someone here has good color on it, but I always considered him a players coach. Perhaps my view of him is off. 
He is to a point, but he also gives zero fucks about the feelings of opposing players and coaches. He has the old school "imagine the fool lined up in front of you wants to fuck your girlfriend and steal your car" mentality, and we need much more of that.

16 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Regarding all the comments about whether Sark is running a tight enough ship, and in celebration of 4/20, we apparently have a few young high potential guys on the team more interested in sitting around and getting high than working hard on the field.

Let them enjoy the holidays... 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, ousux said:
20 hours ago, victory88 said:
Gary Patterson isn't here because Sark wanted him or because PK may suck and Gary will become DC.  Patterson is here because CDC thinks Sarks probably needs help in quite a few areas of evaluating the defense and he's most likely hedging having Sark's replacement ready if he shows up drunk or we have another 5-7 loss season.  This is great for Patterson because he can stay involved in football and slide in and take over if thing go south.   With that said, I'm not sure replacing Sark with another HC that didn't make a bowl game 2 years in a row is really a solution either.  My 2 cents on some of the Patterson posts.
As for Sark, the dude can put together an offense and call plays.  We need to use him to his strengths and keep him off the bottle if he's still partaking.  Then you ask Patterson to make suggestions to PK and/or bring in another DC that can handle that side.  At this point, we need to try to put together a similar setup as Riley at ou where he had Grinch handle all aspects of the defense and Riley mainly calling plays.

Unless he just really likes Austin and enjoys semi-retirement, fatty Patty will have HC offers after next season, maybe during. I think he's just doing his buddy CDC a solid by being around to quietly light a fire under Sarks ass...and I'm ok with that, but not him taking over the team permanently.

His buyout is $18 million. He would probably lose that if he took a head coaching job.

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)