2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

2 hours ago, MH BEVO said:

Do they not have realistic expectations? Are they just turning up their noses if SHSU reaches out?

My guess is that players that hang around in the portal for a long time fall into 3 general buckets:

1. What you said. They hit the portal and sit down by their mailbox waiting for the Bama offer to come in. Well, if not Bama, at least Arizona State. OK maybe not Arizona State, but definitely Tulane is gonna call any day now. Hmm, it's April already and all I have is this letter from SHSU, what's going on?
  2. Dudes that have discovered that they really just don't like football that much, or recognize that even if they love it, college FB is the end of the line for their career. They're probably just trying to figure out their academic situation, see if they can find a place that's pretty chill that will pay them to finish up their degree.
  3. Guys that can play but don't have any particularly outstanding skills. Depth for FBS programs, essentially. "Replacement level" in the parlance of baseball. They may be realistic about their value or they may not (see group 1). Programs with needs will be sifting through these guys filling holes once spring ball is over.

1 hour ago, Fud said:

DBs Ohio State has lost to the portal since December

Craig Young to Kansas
Ryan Watts to Texas
Sevyn Banks to LSU
Jahsen Wint to ?
Lejond Cavazos to UNC
Bryan Shaw to USC
Andre Turrentine to ?

I know brevity is part of your brand, and I respect it, but if you want to elaborate beyond that and tell us who they still have, who besides Watts you think hurts them by losing them, what their board looks like for 2023 recruiting and what you think of their depth chart, we’d all love to read it. Similarly, since you follow their sites more than many of us, if you want to tell us what you think is driving attrition, that would be awesome too. Did Coombs wave the deuce? I thought he was sticking but this winter/spring has been a personal blur for me. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I know brevity is part of your brand, and I respect it, but if you want to elaborate beyond that and tell us who they still have, who besides Watts you think hurts them by losing them, what their board looks like for 2023 recruiting and what you think of their depth chart, we’d all love to read it. Similarly, since you follow their sites more than many of us, if you want to tell us what you think is driving attrition, that would be awesome too. Did Coombs wave the deuce? I thought he was sticking but this winter/spring has been a personal blur for me. 

I haven’t followed them closely lately, I just noticed that they had a high number of DBs transferring out, including several who’ve had first team snaps. I figure it’s the DB/DC change; Coombs went to Cincinnati 

His buyout is $18 million. He would probably lose that if he took a head coaching job.
As an analyst for Texas? Thats quite the contract he has lol.

Idk the details of his contract with the frogs, but I dont think his agent would allow him to sign anything that prevented him from taking another HC job in the event of him being fired...which is how it went down iirc.

1 minute ago, ousux said:

As an analyst for Texas? Thats quite the contract he has lol.

Idk the details of his contract with the frogs, but I dont think his agent would allow him to sign anything that prevented him from taking another HC job in the event of him being fired...which is how it went down iirc.

I think he quit. 

Per something I posted in the roster thread on the football board:

Total Scholarship Players for 2022 = 91
New 2022 Players =33

A minimum of 6 players must transfer to get down to a scholarship number of 85.
In order to get to 36 new players, 3 more players could be brought in so we can expect as many as *9 players to transfer out*.

Assuming Ochaun Mathis joins the team, that puts Texas at 92 scholarships and 34 new players. So at least 7 would have to transfer and they could only bring in 2 more players based on the numbers Sark has mentioned in his Press Conferences.

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

New 2022 Players =33

In order to get to 36 new players, 3 more players could be brought in so we can expect as many as *9 players to transfer out*.

Assuming Ochaun Mathis joins the team, that puts Texas at 92 scholarships and 34 new players. So at least 7 would have to transfer and they could only bring in 2 more players based on the numbers Sark has mentioned in his Press Conferences.

So, you are worried about the numbers?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

New 2022 Players =33

Calculate Figure It Out GIF by Originals

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, texastough said:

I think its worth noting that players don't have to "transfer out" since in the days of NIL players can be on "scholarship" without using an official 'ship

You can only carry 105 on your roster in the offseason, so there is a cap of sorts on this 

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, texastough said:

I think its worth noting that players don't have to "transfer out" since in the days of NIL players can be on "scholarship" without using an official 'ship

Don't take this as a certitude, since I don't have all of the information around what's going on with NIL at Texas, but from the stuff I have either heard or been a part of, there's not a huge appetite around playing walk-on games so far. A one-off during this particular cycle wouldn't shock me though. And I could just not be privy to someone working this kind of plan.

Something worth noting is that all of this is new to the staffs and admins at Texas too. The schools with the skids greased because they're used to buying players and uncles and such have a temporary advantage in terms of knowing how to coordinate with a staff. Nobody anywhere around UT AD or NIL wants to step on their dicks or do harm, so it's a slower learning process. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Don't take this as a certitude, since I don't have all of the information around what's going on with NIL at Texas, but from the stuff I have either heard or been a part of, there's not a huge appetite around playing walk-on games so far. A one-off during this particular cycle wouldn't shock me though. And I could just not be privy to someone working this kind of plan.

Something worth noting is that all of this is new to the staffs and admins at Texas too. The schools with the skids greased because they're used to buying players and uncles and such have a temporary advantage in terms of knowing how to coordinate with a staff. Nobody anywhere around UT AD or NIL wants to step on their dicks or do harm, so it's a slower learning process. 

I was just thinking that if I were an NIL sponsor, the last place I would want my money going is to a guy who they are stripping a scholarship from because there are better guys in front of him. Now if we asked an incoming freshman last minute to reclassify until January and we worked out something for a semester to soften the blow, then sure, maybe. 

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Wait, I thought they were all dickless?

We've been 0 for 2 on Louisiana D-Lineman since Malcolm Roach. I'm trying to remember the name of the other guy we had before Warren. He played like QB in high school at 260 pounds and was trucking people and Herman ran him off after like 2 months.

Hopefully Tapp gets us back on track.

EDIT: Just remembered the other guy....Mike Williams

Edited by Hookem2147

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

A one-off during this particular cycle wouldn't shock me though. And I could just not be privy to someone working this kind of plan

i think this makes sense for someone in a situation like Cole Lourd > Texas but how often does that really happen?

5 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Another one gone from the vaunted 2019 Signing Class. Does anybody have the list of remaining players from that class?

Nevermind, I did it myself.

2019 Longhorns Recruiting Class - Ranked #3 Overall  - 26 Freshman Enrollees, 2 Transfers. 

Remaining Players:

Jordan Whittington
Marcus Washington
David Gbenda
Braden Liebrock
Roschon Johnson
Isaiah Hookfin
T'Vondre Sweat

• Rage+1 3

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

We got lucky with the burnt ends that our walk on is actually awesome (Hatter) but we will probably eliminate that moving forward in the next couple of iterations, there is too large of a mercenary aspect without any tangible benefit for Surly or Texas

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Nevermind, I did it myself.

2019 Longhorns Recruiting Class - Ranked #3 Overall  - 26 Freshman Enrollees, 2 Transfers. 

Remaining Players:

Jordan Whittington
Marcus Washington
David Gbenda
Braden Liebrock
Roschon Johnson
Isaiah Hookfin
T'Vondre Sweat

You might as well remove Liebrock and Hookfin.

16 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

We've been 0 for 2 on Louisiana D-Lineman since Malcolm Roach. I'm trying to remember the name of the other guy we had before Warren. He played like QB in high school at 260 pounds and was trucking people and Herman ran him off after like 2 months.

Hopefully Tapp gets us back on track.

EDIT: Just remembered the other guy....Mike Williams

I don’t think he was run off… he was tampered with by LSU

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

Yeah, did a quick google search once I remembered the name. Don't think he has done anything at LSU. I do recall him quitting the team in the middle of the 2018 season. 

According to Tiger Rant he basically showed up there in the spring and then quit the team in the fall. 

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)