2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

closetojumping

Even if this is a guess, Texas needs to stop pussy footing around and back up the fucking brink trucks.
If the BMDs don't want to pony up tell the media, "We [Texas] couldn't afford it" and then watch as it never happens again

Edited by OnAComputer
  • Hook 'Em 7

Yesterday's TFB:

Regarding Mathis, obviously...

From the moment that it became public news that Mathis would be entering the Transfer Portal, he has been linked to Texas and his former Head Coach at TCU, Gary Patterson. Understand that Mathis didn’t receive a Texas offer out of high school and really didn’t have a ton of interest coming out. When he hit the portal, he got a lot of attention and was able to let suitors know what he was looking for.

Well, if you take a look at the tweet above I think it’s pretty clear that the two teams left standing (Texas and Nebraska) are going to have to decide who wants him the most and who is willing to meet his requirements. Despite the TCU noise this week, which I believe was/is just suspense being created by the young man, I would still find myself surprised if he isn’t on campus in Austin this summer as an official member of the program.

This is what college football is now. You have to have to a coach who can manage the portal and NIL scene. Many coaches aren't prepared to do it. Many good coaches aren't prepared to do it. 

Gut punch. Part of me wants to say that some of this is out of the coaches control but they are smart enough to know what this is all about. Either change it or watch as we continue to lose kids to programs who don't care about 'rules'

9 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

This is what college football is now. You have to have to a coach who can manage the portal and NIL scene. Many coaches aren't prepared to do it. Many good coaches aren't prepared to do it. 

Gut punch. Part of me wants to say that some of this is out of the coaches control but they are smart enough to know what this is all about. Either change it or watch as we continue to lose kids to programs who don't care about 'rules'

This was the #1 need on the team. You just cant miss. #Garyisadoubleagent

3 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

You just cant miss.

Well it sounds like we did miss, which means we either need to go recruit a kid off another team into the portal (what every other team in our position would do) or we can just sit here and feel sorry for ourselves.

Edited by Hookem2147

IT 

We have some fun quick hitters this morning, ranging from Big Cigar intel on NIL and team, El Portal Motel, and why Texas didn’t pursue a portal offensive lineman so we can put that trope to bed (he said naively). We’ll also put one rumor to bed about a Texas freshman that is making its way around the internet. 

NIL

You may have seen the Oklahoma release stating each Sooner player will be compensated $50k for the upcoming season. There is some skepticism in Texas circles, to put it kindly, those funds are actually raised. The thinking is the Sooners are headline chasing in order to help recruiting while also applying pressure to increase support from the donor base. Giving credence to UT donor skepticism, one OU board moderator is even suggesting fans not donate towards those OU fundraising efforts.

Texas has as much donor support as any school in the country, and is ahead on NIL initiatives in many regards, but even money for the entire roster is not raised….yet. Things are improving rapidly on the fundraising side as Horns With Heart’s new 501(c)(3) status is driving increased interest, to the point we should soon be hearing another big announcement from them.

You’ve read in these pages UT’s efforts are to be above board and enduring. That continues apace, especially with the Dallas contingent moving in coordination.

Ochaun Mathis

If NIL discussion is the macro view of the Wild West, the recruitment of TCU transfer Ochaun Mathis is the micro view, and it’s more blurry.

Sources on all three sides of this recruitment have at least some optimism: that’s Texas, Nebraska, and TCU.

There seems to be much more discussion around Texas and Nebraska, even in Mathis’ circle, but we’ve heard things out of Fort Worth that have us paying attention.

Behind the scenes, we’re hearing of a frenetic recruitment with too many cooks in the kitchen. 

Our best sources on the UT side still think Texas will win out, but there’s more uncertainty than a week ago, and certainly palpable confidence in Lincoln, Neb.. One thing the Cornhuskers may have in their favor is offering Mathis the chance to pin his ears back more often and play a more traditional defensive end role in their system.

We’ll work toward an update later today ahead of Mathis’ announcement tomorrow.

Texas Portalers

It’s been quiet this week, with only Myron Warren and Jaden Hullaby announcing their intentions to transfer. Given Steve Sarkisian met with players this week, and the deadline for immediate eligibility is fast approaching on May 1st, we assumed more activity. To be clear, we don’t want that activity, but it’s a necessary part of the sport and Texas is well above the scholarship limit while still trying to add another player or two.

Those meetings Sark had with players were said to be very frank and went well beyond football and into the classroom and S&C. Each player knows without question where he stands with the coaches and within the program.

We have heard of a few players mulling transferring in the next day or two, but we’ll let that play out naturally.

OL and the portal

One of the more nauseating things to read on the board is ‘why haven’t the coaches landed an offensive lineman out of the portal?’

It’s two-fold, and it’s been written many, many times. The staff feels it landed an exceptional class in which two freshman will eventually start this season, maybe even immediately. Also, the portal is filled with JAG O-line options. Texas was willing to take two but had no shot at either. One followed Billy Napier to Florida, the other followed his wallet back to his own apartment in Athens.

In short, the staff views the freshmen as better options than the randos who have been in the portal.

• Hook 'Em 2

47 minutes ago, OnAComputer said:

Even if this is a guess, Texas needs to stop pussy footing around and back up the fucking brink trucks.
If the BMDs don't want to pony up tell the media, "We [Texas] couldn't afford it" and then watch as it never happens again

People have tried to get involved. You have to actually build reserves for these situations ahead of time. This staff simply won’t engage consistently. I really don’t understand it because in other situations we have pulled the model off successfully (Neyor is a great example). I think the most likely explanation is they just don’t have their shit together. Sark has been told multiple times he is fucking up on this front. I just don’t see where he thinks his support is from.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, Barbacoa said:

People have tried to get involved. You have to actually build reserves for these situations ahead of time. This staff simply won’t engage consistently. I really don’t understand it because in other situations we have pulled the model off successfully (Neyor is a great example). I think the most likely explanation is they just don’t have their shit together. Sark has been told multiple times he is fucking up on this front. I just don’t see where he thinks his support is from.

Admin/compliance side? 

28 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

An edge setting DE was more of a priority than replacing the Casey Card Experience?

I have never been know as a Casey fan, but I think the edge is far and away the #1 problem on the team. QB was #1 on the offense. 

28 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Well it sounds like we did miss, which means we either need to go recruit a kid off another team into the portal (what every other team in our position would do) or we can just sit here and feel sorry for ourselves.

They went 0-2 on Sanders and Mathis. You cant recruit another kid into the portal. You have until May 1 to get in the portal and be eligible for next year. The bigger issue is not that they missed on Mathis, it is that they pretty much put all their cards into Mathis 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

Just taking a guess, but it is there a big gap between the Defensive side and the Offensive side? This is not to say they are bad, but I do not see any recriuiting killers on the defensive side. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Admin/compliance side? 

I could be getting bad info, but I’ve been told twice now that we are ok to play the game. Not in some crazy A&M way, but if we want a player from the portal it shouldn’t be a problem. I’d have to think anyone would be satisfied with who told me this personally. I have tried multiple times to put a group together for just one player, but people aren’t convinced it’s safe. There has to be clear messaging that the culture has changed in that regard. It’s just not who we are yet I guess, yet we have these incredible packages ready to go for Qbs and receivers. I don’t get it. It’s fucking frustrating though. We could be doing a lot better.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

this is gong backwards now. 

He was always going to be one of the more likely to transfer considering his lack of presence and possible lack of conditioning. He also wasn't recruited by this staff.

I wasn't sure where he would fit on the team even if his body/mind were right.

If we see Byron Murphy hit, then there's a problem.

8 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

How can you not have your shit together for this situation when the dude has been in the portal for almost 4 months.

• Rage+1 2

Just now, Atticus said:

He was always going to be one of the more likely to transfer considering his lack of presence and possible lack of conditioning. He also wasn't recruited by this staff.

I wasn't sure where he would fit on the team even if his body/mind were right.

If we see Byron Murphy hit, then there's a problem.

This wasnt unexpected, but based on the Mathis news this is the one position I am OK stacking bodies and praying something come out. Based on the personnel that is on hand. I am thinking the staff needs to seriously consider a 3-3-5 or 3-2-6. 

I could be getting bad info, but I’ve been told twice now that we are ok to play the game. Not in some crazy A&M way, but if we want a player from the portal it shouldn’t be a problem. I’d have to think anyone would be satisfied with who told me this personally. I have tried multiple times to put a group together for just one player, but people aren’t convinced it’s safe. There has to be clear messaging that the culture has changed in that regard. It’s just not who we are yet I guess, yet we have these incredible packages ready to go for Qbs and receivers. I don’t get it. It’s fucking frustrating though. We could be doing a lot better.

Seems like Sark only cares about the offense.  Defensive portal moves that would improve our depth and team overall seem to be an afterthought. Hopefully the guys like you communicate and others will learn what it’s all about once we reach the SEC and they can see how it’s done. It’s going to have to change or it will be struggle bus central there when we try to compete recruiting wise with one arm tied behind our back. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Seems like Sark only cares about the offense.  Defensive portal moves that would improve our depth and team overall seem to be an afterthought. Hopefully the guys like you communicate and others will learn what it’s all about once we reach the SEC and they can see how it’s done. It’s going to have to change or it will be struggle bus central there when we try to compete recruiting wise with one arm tied behind our back. 

OR maybe there's a problem with the messaging. He's had Mathis is multiple times. At some point he's got to believe in what the defense is doing, and what his role will be in it andalsoletsseewhatthefarmersgethiminNILetc... It's not hard for Sark to sell the offense, obviously. 

(btw, before I get novel'd, this isn't to say Sark isn't responsible, with who he has hired on defense etc...)

Edited by UncleBuck

From the Nebraska 247 board:

Ochaun's NIL package is NOT associated with the University of Nebraska. 

FNBO, Ameritas, Woodhouse Auto Group, Ernie's in Ceresco, and a property management group out of Lincoln/Omaha have put together a total compensation package allegedly worth around $620,000.

Should have hired Lane if we were going to hire a fired USC coach who got revived by the Saban coaching rehab. 

I love how aggressively he has attacked the portal. 

I wonder how much PK’s system and use of edge players has played a role in this. 

Doesn’t matter tho, this is still losing to Frost and a 3-9 Nebraska team. 

20 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Admin/compliance side? 

No.

19 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I have never been know as a Casey fan, but I think the edge is far and away the #1 problem on the team. QB was #1 on the offense. 

Incorrect.

15 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Just taking a guess, but it is there a big gap between the Defensive side and the Offensive side? This is not to say they are bad, but I do not see any recriuiting killers on the defensive side. 

Bo Davis is a recruiting stud. The issues are above him.

13 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

I think you should keep working on your guys to get involved and if they ever grow a set of fucking balls, just reach out to one of the connects and show them you're serious. 

The problem here isn't a lack of NIL or will from people connected into the program. The problem is simply at the top of the program and on the defensive leadership side,

I’m at a loss at this point. Hopefully @closetojumping will come in here and tell me to stop peeing my pants, but I think he’s more likely to say we hired a B team coach and we are getting B team results. 

I am not here to assuage anyone's concerns about Seven Loss Steve and his merry band of fuck-ups on the defensive staff. Texas getting beat at a need position by a program with an even more putrid stench of death on it than our own is a laughable failure, should it occur. Steve Sarklostagain playing the role of Scott Frost hiding in the girlfriend's closet (Mathis) while Scott Frost shows up as Lawrence Phillips and beats the shit out of her and drags her into his program by her hair is not a good look, should we not land the transfer.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

FNBO, Ameritas, Woodhouse Auto Group, Ernie's in Ceresco, and a property management group out of Lincoln/Omaha have put together a total compensation package allegedly worth around $620,000.

And here I was, worried that we'd be having to compete against Berkshire Hathaway, and Omaha Steaks. 

• Haha 1

Just now, FreeHorn said:

Should have hired Lane if we were going to hire a fired USC coach who got revived by the Saban coaching rehab. 

I love how aggressively he has attacked the portal. 

I wonder how much PK’s system and use of edge players has played a role in this. 

Doesn’t matter tho, this is still losing to Frost and a 3-9 Nebraska team. 

Kwiatkowski having his front 4 play some spineless game of catch & release all of last season isn't helping Texas on the defensive side in any way, shape or form. Other staffs in film review last year were rewinding footage repeatedly and laughing with their players about the Texas DL's ineptitude. I'm guessing that's also an effective approach when recruiting transfers at those spots as well.

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Thats nice compensation for a 1year rental on a really good (but not great) player.

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

This is nonsensical. We were worse at edge last year than QB, but adding one good edge doesn’t improve the team anywhere near as much as QB. Our biggest need by far was finding a good QB. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, closetojumping said:

Kwiatkowski having his front 4 play some spineless game of catch & release all of last season isn't helping Texas on the defensive side in any way, shape or form. Other staffs in film review last year were rewinding footage repeatedly and laughing with their players about the Texas DL's ineptitude. I'm guessing that's also an effective approach when recruiting transfers at those spots as well.

I knew it was a problem just didn’t know how bad the problem was in regards to recruiting. The guys I know swear next year will be different and that our back seven played a role in the way we deployed our DLine. 

They gotta let them attack, and if we are not starting Byron Murphy you might as well fire PK now. Everybody around the programs knows he is the best DT and yet we continue to play other guys ahead of him. 

Bo can recruit and coach but I’m starting to think his philosophy just doesn’t match what PK wants out of the DLine guys. 

2 minutes ago, FreeHorn said:

The guys I know swear next year will be different and that our back seven played a role in the way we deployed our DLine. 

2 minutes ago, FreeHorn said:

Bo can recruit and coach but I’m starting to think his philosophy just doesn’t match what PK wants out of the DLine guys. 

So uh.......which is it?

9 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

This is nonsensical. We were worse at edge last year than QB, but adding one good edge doesn’t improve the team anywhere near as much as QB. Our biggest need by far was finding a good QB. 

Interesting. Offense finished 2nd in the Big 12 and defense finished 8th in pts allowed

Offense was 25th in pts per Drive compared to 90th for the defense

But yeah sure, the offense is the bigger issue. 

Edited by Codaxx

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)