2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

1 minute ago, Tex-19 said:

You realize they have more than one field and can also have people doing stuff on the side while it's not their turn, right? Or instead of having four guys in line for each individual/group drill, cut it down to 2 guys in line and just have more lines.

Yes...I do realize that. When you are doing full 11 v 11 team stuff that require all 10 coaches, 1st and 2nd team units and the scout team to be involved, you are pretty limited in who and what you can send off to the side to do whatever else. 

If creating more lines for individual drills is what is holding us back, then my optimism for the season just increased significantly. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PatSolitanojr said:

No one cares but I don't believe this at all. NIL is about paying players to play football for your school when they would have gone elsewhere. 

Of course it is. All of these NIL collectives had to come up with some bullshit narrative they could parrot to justify what they want, which is to pay players more money than other schools so those players will suit for the good guys. If its fan driven, its because fans want to win. Charitable endeavors will have zero to do with winning, but acquiring more talent than your competition should have a sizeable impact. If you posed the following question to people donating to NIL Collectives and the choice was mutually exclusive, what do you think the donors would prefer: 

By donating to this NIL collective your desire is that...

a.) we will be getting players involved with the community and raising significant awareness for charities that people don't know about

b.) we will be winning more football games

18 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

We just had 0 players drafted.

It was always going to be a shit year in the draft. We had our hopes resting on upperclassmen like Casey Thompson, Joshua Moore, Derek Kerstetter, Denzel Okafor, DeMarvion Overshown, Keondre Coburn and BJ Foster to try to play well enough to play themselves onto an NFL teams draft board.

We should have all seen this coming a year ago.

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Yes...I do realize that. When you are doing full 11 v 11 team stuff that require all 10 coaches, 1st and 2nd team units and the scout team to be involved, you are pretty limited in who and what you can send off to the side to do whatever else. 

If creating more lines for individual drills is what is holding us back, then my optimism for the season just increased significantly. 

Not to mention that 11 on 11 doesn't mean just 22 kids. Situational substitutions, getting looks at other guys period. There are going to be far more than 22 kids getting in on 11 on 11s. Also, it's important to pay attention to how other kids are coached just as much as the way you are. This is a dumb thing to argue about IMO. 

Edited by UncleBuck

4 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

This is hysterical. We're in the wild west of pay for play and tampering but the NCAA is "busting" Nebraska because an analyst did some coaching. Which also happens at every school.

Yeah but it's funny because it happened to Nebraska and we don't have to worry about it because there isn't any coaching going on here.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, 6th Street said:

I imagine our NIL program will be much broader in scale and scope once Sark is gone after 2023 and we bring in a more successful HC. At this point it feels like throwing good money after bad under this staff. 

Here's the problem, we can't get the next guy we want without showing the commitment to winning. Thats why stuff like the Pancake Factory is so important. It exists independent of who the coach is. The best coaches will go to the places that are doing what it takes to win. 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

This is hysterical. We're in the wild west of pay for play and tampering but the NCAA is "busting" Nebraska because an analyst did some coaching. Which also happens at every school.

It makes sense. They’re trying to save face by enforcing the rules they can enforce without getting overturned by the courts. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

Here's the problem, we can't get the next guy we want without showing the commitment to winning. Thats why stuff like the Pancake Factory is so important. It exists independent of who the coach is. The best coaches will go to the places that are doing what it takes to win. 

That's fair, but I mean we'll probably start doing some A&M like crypto NIL payments for recruits and USC style poaching once we get the right coach in place. Right now the investments feel somewhat constrained given lack of confidence in the current staff. 

• Hook 'Em 2

31 minutes ago, Blotto said:

How is that any different than when those same boosters were giving money under the table for decades. The NIL push simply legitimized the ability to pay players whatever is necessary while also enabling the "crowdsourcing" of funds to access even more money. In other words, when it was all done under the table, it wasn't practical for every fan who might want to kick in $100 to contact the right intermediary, get the payer paid, etc... Now, we have "legitimate" NIL collectives openly soliciting funds to pay players. They can hide behind whatever bullshit semantics that want about "charitable endeavors", but the only thing that really matters is how much money they can raise to get player "X" to their campus, and keep player "X"  from going to another campus. Pretending this is anything other than pay for play is fucking ridiculous. The willingness of players to switch schools for more money is hard to ignore. 

And as soon as another school's NIL contingent decides they want to pay more than Player "X's" going NIL Deal, there's not a lot you can do to stop it other than pony up more cash. Its worse than the "road to true professionalization" because at least in the pros, you have contracts that enforce who has the right to your services. The model that was decided upon for the NCAA is a fucking joke. I don't blame the players, if I was a college player I would grab as much as the system allows me to grab, as there is no guarantee I'll ever get to the pros. 

The number of coaches that will meet USC on the field that wont also have examples of players transferring into their program in a similar fashion will be zero. Maybe the $ figures wont be as high, and the players quite as well-known, but if you arent competing in the NIL free for all, chances are your program would never be on USCs schedule to begin with. Its how the game is played now. Everyone knows the rules.....there are no rules (or damn few). 

Oh look, a great example of someone who thinks HWH is just like every other collective and is bullshit, because other collective are scamming pieces of shit. 

28 minutes ago, PatSolitanojr said:

No one cares but I don't believe this at all. NIL is about paying players to play football for your school when they would have gone elsewhere. 

Weird that nothing about Burnt Ends or Pancake Factory has anything to do with football other than the criteria for selection, because that's what the biggest demand was for and what has the most visibility and impact. 

14 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Of course it is. All of these NIL collectives had to come up with some bullshit narrative they could parrot to justify what they want, which is to pay players more money than other schools so those players will suit for the good guys. If its fan driven, its because fans want to win. Charitable endeavors will have zero to do with winning, but acquiring more talent than your competition should have a sizeable impact. If you posed the following question to people donating to NIL Collectives and the choice was mutually exclusive, what do you think the donors would prefer: 

By donating to this NIL collective your desire is that...

a.) we will be getting players involved with the community and raising significant awareness for charities that people don't know about

b.) we will be winning more football games

For me and everyone else on the board of HWH it's about A with a nice side effect of hopefully B. For Burnt Ends it is all about getting WAY MORE ACCESS into a position group in the form of interviews and appearances than this community has ever gotten before. 

If you've been sitting on the sidelines and just watching NIL go down from the internet (pretty much everyone) then things like Burnt Ends and Pancake Factory automatically just get associated with buying players. It's fucking stupid and not the point at all. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

That's fair, but I mean we'll probably start doing some A&M like crypto NIL payments for recruits and USC style poaching once we get the right coach in place. Right now the investments feel somewhat constrained given lack of confidence in the current staff. 

Yep. It's a huge problem. At the very least, people want to see that Sark can win here before they pony up. I think many felt like they were up to participate under a guy like Meyer. Guess how they feel after 6 straight losses including a loss at home to fucking Kansas? 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Maybe that plays a factor, but I have a tough time believing the number of practice reps is the reason Ovie Oghoufo couldn't set the edge or why Vernon Broughton stood directly vertical after every snap or why BJ Foster was scared of contact.

You can have only have 22 players on a field when you are doing team drills so not sure what else you are wanting unless you think the tempo is crap and guys are playing grab ass between snaps.

It's not 1986. Sadly, you and Sarkisian appear to be on the same page (it's used against Texas heavily in recruiting (Jimbo/aggy as well)). Modern structured NCAA practices feature a constant stream of activity for the entire roster and almost no down time. Texas players are getting percentages of reps compared to the competition. If you don't think that's a factor in how a team performs, how many variations on an install get done, how player development happens, if you don't think players will improve more by taking 50 quality reps instead of 10 in the same time period, I don't know what to tell you. If you think 80+ players actively repping in a 5 minute session vs. 22 or even 44, while 60+ stand and watch and do nothing in that same time period, again ... not sure what to tell you.  Not to mention giving the coaches the opportunity to see the players more and perhaps have a better gauge on who should be getting more game reps (so perhaps we don't replicate having Brockermeyer playing for 500 snaps while Jaylan Ford stands on the sidelines - despite outperforming him a fraction of the snaps/gm). Again, this is just a jumping off point, but yeah - miss me with expecting the defense to improve by having the same coaches, with the same scheme, practicing the same way, with most of the same players ....  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, golfclap said:

It's not 1986. Sadly, you and Sarkisian appear to be on the same page (it's used against Texas heavily in recruiting (Jimbo/aggy as well)). Modern structured NCAA practices feature a constant stream of activity for the entire roster and almost no down time. Texas players are getting percentages of reps compared to the competition. If you don't think that's a factor in how a team performs, how many variations on an install get done, how player development happens, if you don't think players will improve more by taking 50 quality reps instead of 10 in the same time period, I don't know what to tell you. If you think 80+ players actively repping in a 5 minute session vs. 22 or even 44, while 60+ stand and watch and do nothing in that same time period, again ... not sure what to tell you.  Not to mention giving the coaches the opportunity to see the players more and perhaps have a better gauge on who should be getting more game reps (so perhaps we don't replicate having Brockermeyer playing for 500 snaps while Jaylan Ford stands on the sidelines - despite outperforming him a fraction of the snaps/gm). Again, this is just a jumping off point, but yeah - miss me with expecting the defense to improve by having the same coaches, with the same scheme, practicing the same way, with most of the same players ....  

who knows, maybe we only give up 49 to Kansas.

1 minute ago, golfclap said:

Give me a fucking break. Our practice structure is not being used against us "heavily in recruiting by A&M".

Any team who uses our practice structure as a negative recruiting pitch is beyond stupid. We just lost to fucking Kansas.

• Haha 2

Also I wanna make it clear that Sark is currently getting a high level of support relative to the rest of cfb. Its just only for one side of the ball, and it isnt competitive with the few programs that are actively engaged in trying to buy a championship. Ewers didnt just fall into our lap. The Arch Manning project is massive. We just arent going all the way to win, and Im wondering if our staff has made the decision to focus our support on offense, because thats what we feel like we can do well, and distributing support equally on both sides of the ball wont get us any closer anyways, so might as well try to be elite on offense. 

• Hook 'Em 4

9 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Give me a fucking break. Our practice structure is not being used against us "heavily in recruiting by A&M".

Any team who uses our practice structure as a negative recruiting pitch is beyond stupid. We just lost to fucking Kansas.

Why the fuck are you arguing this point?  Negative recruiting hits on all the broken shit

15 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

Yep. It's a huge problem. At the very least, people want to see that Sark can win here before they pony up. I think many felt like they were up to participate under a guy like Meyer. Guess how they feel after 6 straight losses including a loss at home to fucking Kansas? 

I disagree with the board and with alumni on this line of thought. I think if you give me enough money, I can build a NC caliber team at Tulane. I don't even know who the coaches are, but if you bring in enough talent there are few coaches who can't win.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I disagree with the board and with alumni on this line of thought. I think if you give me enough money, I can build a NC caliber team at Tulane. I don't even know who the coaches are, but if you bring in enough talent there are few coaches who can't win.

See Orgeron, Ed. 
see also Coker, Larry. 
See also, Miles, Leslie. 
see also Smart, Kirby

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

Also I wanna make it clear that Sark is currently getting a high level of support relative to the rest of cfb. Its just only for one side of the ball, and it isnt competitive with the few programs that are actively engaged in trying to buy a championship. Ewers didnt just fall into our lap. The Arch Manning project is massive. We just arent going all the way to win, and Im wondering if our staff has made the decision to focus our support on offense, because thats what we feel like we can do well, and distributing support equally on both sides of the ball wont get us any closer anyways, so might as well try to be elite on offense. 

Go on...

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

See Orgeron, Ed. 
see also Coker, Larry. 
See also, Miles, Leslie. 
see also Smart, Kirby

I don't know if you are agreeing with me or disagreeing. Orgeron never had great support by LSU standards and if someone would have helped him keep his staff together, he would still be winning. And he is a complete dumbass. Kirby Smart is a great DC and is well supported by alumni. He won one and will probably win a few more if he can beat Alabama and Georgia continues to pay top dollar. We would be ecstatic to get some of Georgia's backups.

42 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Where are you getting data on number of Texas practice reps vs other schools number of practice reps ??

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I don't know if you are agreeing with me or disagreeing. Orgeron never had great support by LSU standards and if someone would have helped him keep his staff together, he would still be winning. And he is a complete dumbass. Kirby Smart is a great DC and is well supported by alumni. He won one and will probably win a few more if he can beat Alabama and Georgia continues to pay top dollar. We would be ecstatic to get some of Georgia's backups.

Regardless of the coach LSU does what LSU can to get talent there imo. 

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Regardless of the coach LSU does what LSU can to get talent there imo. 

Nah, they have lost tons of guys to other SEC schools because of money. They've done more than us, though, so that's something. But when they have a coach they don't like, money flow decreases.

Edited by Bevo

Mike Roach:

I spent most of last night and this morning chasing a rumor that Texas defensive back Jahdae Barron could be headed to the NCAA Transfer Portal in search of a more lucartive NIL deal. We heard last night that it sounded like Barron would stay at Texas, but a source I spoke with today told me it's not dead. We've got an eye on the portal to see if anyone pops up, but names could show up until tomorrow afternoon as long as they were entered before the deadline.

Interesting twitter tidbit - FCS sack leader and recent portal entrant Isaiah Land (who every Texas coach and support staff member has recently followed) is from Loganville Georgia - which is also the hometown of Kenyatta Watson Sr. & Jr. 

Land's most frequent twitter interactions/mentions are with his coach, but his second most are from Watson Sr.

• Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Mike Roach:

I spent most of last night and this morning chasing a rumor that Texas defensive back Jahdae Barron could be headed to the NCAA Transfer Portal in search of a more lucartive NIL deal. We heard last night that it sounded like Barron would stay at Texas, but a source I spoke with today told me it's not dead. We've got an eye on the portal to see if anyone pops up, but names could show up until tomorrow afternoon as long as they were entered before the deadline.

All of this info they get, but they gotta wait until tomorrow afternoon to find out like the rest of us? That's no fun!

55 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

Everytime I talk to @Scipioand he mocks me for my limited football intelligence I always come back to this point:

In college football it's often case "who has the best QB" that wins the game.  Or, "how has the best QB and play makers".  Absent Alabama the answer (if Ewers is good) to that program will be "Texas" in every game we play.  I feel like that will matter, a lot.  

• Hook 'Em 5

Here's what Anwar said: 

I can confirm that Texas receiver Marcus Washington is expected to formally enter the transfer portal. Inside Texas was the first to report the news.

Washington is not officially listed in the portal. However, barring a last-minute decision to remain in Austin, Washington will leave the Longhorns.

In addition, Texas cornerback Jahdae Barron is considering entering the portal. His decision has not been finalized and there is a chance he will stay at Texas.

We will keep you posted.

3 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Interesting twitter tidbit - FCS sack leader and recent portal entrant Isaiah Land (who every Texas coach and support staff member has recently followed) is from Loganville Georgia - which is also the hometown of Kenyatta Watson Sr. & Jr. 

Land's most frequent twitter interactions/mentions are with his coach, but his second most are from Watson Sr.

Watson Sr is at Florida State now in some sort of high school relations role. Wonder if that is where Land is headed.

Also, it can't be said enough how badly Herman screwed up with Kenyatta Watson and his dad.

• Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Mike Roach:

Roach chasing rumors:

Chris Pratt Running GIF by Parks and Recreation

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Here's what Anwar said: 

I can confirm that Texas receiver Marcus Washington is expected to formally enter the transfer portal. Inside Texas was the first to report the news.

Washington is not officially listed in the portal. However, barring a last-minute decision to remain in Austin, Washington will leave the Longhorns.

In addition, Texas cornerback Jahdae Barron is considering entering the portal. His decision has not been finalized and there is a chance he will stay at Texas.

We will keep you posted.

Someone  help me out with this.  For this to work Barron would have already had to submit his name to be entered into the portal (prior to May 1) - but Texas is waiting the 48 hours before doing so in the hope they can get him to rescind the request, no?

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Someone  help me out with this.  For this to work Barron would have already had to submit his name to be entered into the portal (prior to May 1) - but Texas is waiting the 48 hours before doing so in the hope they can get him to rescind the request, no?

Correct

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

That’s was such a quick departure I don’t recall what happened.

Watson redshirted in 2019 but played quite a bit in the last regular season game against Texas Tech and looked pretty good. Then the staff purge happened and Valai came in to coach the CB's. Watson then had some sort of injury that Herman blew off (surprise surprise) and his dad got pissed off. Then the season started and Watson barely played despite all of the coaches knowing they needed to keep him around since he was one of the few young promising DB's on the roster. He portaled right after the TCU game that we lost.

Complete mismanagement all around by our staff and it's not often I take the side of the helicopter dad.

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Everytime I talk to @Scipioand he mocks me for my limited football intelligence I always come back to this point:

In college football it's often case "who has the best QB" that wins the game.  Or, "how has the best QB and play makers".  Absent Alabama the answer (if Ewers is good) to that program will be "Texas" in every game we play.  I feel like that will matter, a lot.  

We didn’t play around with Ewers and we got Sark his QB. We are making an impressive run at Manning. Those two would pay dividends for Sark no doubt. I think it’s important we remind ourselves there are donors out there making it happen at the most important position on the field. It goes back to reading a roster. Maybe we really have just said screw it we are gonna build Sark the best offense in the country and hopefully the defense can give us the 30% output we need from them to win big games. 

• Hook 'Em 5

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)