2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

closetojumping

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

Watson redshirted in 2019 but played quite a bit in the last regular season game against Texas Tech and looked pretty good. Then the staff purge happened and Valai came in to coach the CB's. Watson then had some sort of injury that Herman blew off (surprise surprise) and his dad got pissed off. Then the season started and Watson barely played despite all of the coaches knowing they needed to keep him around since he was one of the few young promising DB's on the roster. He portaled right after the TCU game that we lost.

Complete mismanagement all around by our staff and it's not often I take the side of the helicopter dad.

Apparently the kid needed surgery for his injury and Herman allegedly accused Watson Jr of being lazy when the kid was actually hurt. 

That said, it doesn't appear that Watson Jr has played since transferring to GT.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4426710/kenyatta-watson-ii

3 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

We didn’t play around with Ewers and we got Sark his QB. We are making an impressive run at Manning. Those two would pay dividends for Sark no doubt. I think it’s important we remind ourselves there are donors out there making it happen at the most important position on the field. It goes back to reading a roster. Maybe we really have just said screw it we are gonna build Sark the best offense in the country and hopefully the defense can give us the 30% output we need from them to win big games. 

8 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

HS teammates with Bijan. Signed to play in PK's defense. Doesn't look like he really played on Defense last year., prob special teams

Washington's starting CBs last year just went in the first and second round of the draft.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, UncleBuck said:

Not to mention that 11 on 11 doesn't mean just 22 kids. Situational substitutions, getting looks at other guys period. There are going to be far more than 22 kids getting in on 11 on 11s. Also, it's important to pay attention to how other kids are coached just as much as the way you are. This is a dumb thing to argue about IMO. 

I read that Alabama has done split practices.  

Not sure exactly sure how it works,  but something to the effect of first team types for 2 hours and then another 2 hour session for the others.  Pretty sure the coaches don't like it but it makes sense.  

I had hoped Sark would have used something like that for us. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

I read that Alabama has done split practices.  

Not sure exactly sure how it works,  but something to the effect of first team types for 2 hours and then another 2 hour session for the others.  Pretty sure the coaches don't like it but it makes sense.  

I had hoped Sark would have used something like that for us. 

I find it hard to believe they pull that off considering the limits in place for how much practice time you can have.

i guess rules don’t matter really though.

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I find it hard to believe they pull that off considering the limits in place for how much practice time you can have.

i guess rules don’t matter really though.

I think it works because all the players are not on the field at the same time.  

They have a practice with the 1st group,  then the 2nd group comes out.  

Edited by Laga4
  • Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Watson Sr is at Florida State now in some sort of high school relations role. Wonder if that is where Land is headed.

Also, it can't be said enough how badly Herman screwed up with Kenyatta Watson and his dad.

Wouldn’t even have to leave Tallahassee

13 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

This doesn’t seem promising

2 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

I think it works because all the players are not on the field at the same time.  

They have a practice with the 1st group,  then the 2nd group comes out.  

I thought the limit centered around the amount of time the coaches were out on the field, but who knows.

2 hours ago, NoName said:

fuck off with this trash take.

this should *NEVER* come back unless the same thing is in place for coaches - position coach up to HC.

allowing for free movement of coaches (often just because the other job is slightly better/offers more money) but not players is shit. there is finally a system in place to let kids do what coaches have been doing literally since day 1. it's the right thing and the right move.

I've got no issue adding a buyout clause to the players NIL then if you want to make them equal.

29 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Washington's starting CBs last year just went in the first and second round of the draft.

And let me guess: PK's defense didn't look like a *hot bucket of ass with those two guys out there....

*hot sounds better here. 

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, immamac said:

Oh look, a great example of someone who thinks HWH is just like every other collective and is bullshit, because other collective are scamming pieces of shit. 

Weird that nothing about Burnt Ends or Pancake Factory has anything to do with football other than the criteria for selection, because that's what the biggest demand was for and what has the most visibility and impact. 

For me and everyone else on the board of HWH it's about A with a nice side effect of hopefully B. For Burnt Ends it is all about getting WAY MORE ACCESS into a position group in the form of interviews and appearances than this community has ever gotten before. 

If you've been sitting on the sidelines and just watching NIL go down from the internet (pretty much everyone) then things like Burnt Ends and Pancake Factory automatically just get associated with buying players. It's fucking stupid and not the point at all. 

I think it would be interesting to poll Burnt Ends members, and ask them "Why do you donate to Burnt Ends?"

I'm guessing that the response rankings would be something like this:

1. To help Texas win recruiting battles - 50%

2. To reward the players - 30%

3. For that sweet Burnt Ends flair - 8%

4. For the lulz - 7%

5. "getting WAY MORE ACCESS into a position group in the form of interviews and appearances" - 5%

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I underestimate how many people really want to listen to Juan Davis on a podcast.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I thought the limit centered around the amount of time the coaches were out on the field, but who knows.

Harbaugh straight-up took his team to Florida and practiced at IMG Academy in order to get around the rules. There are always loopholes the savvier coaches know to exploit.

3 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

I think it would be interesting to poll Burnt Ends members, and ask them "Why do you donate to Burnt Ends?"

4. For the lulz - 7%

5. "getting WAY MORE ACCESS into a position group in the form of interviews and appearances" - 5%

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I underestimate how many people really want to listen to Juan Davis on a podcast.

The first one should be in the 90% range. I just want Texas to pay our players more than anyone else, I really don’t care how. If they want the Wild West, we should be giving it to them and will follow future rules and regulations assuming they are actually going to be enforced. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Barbacoa said:

The first one should be in the 90% range. I just want Texas to pay our players more than anyone else, I really don’t care how. If they want the Wild West, we should be giving it to them and will follow future rules and regulations assuming they are actually going to be enforced. 

Don't let immamac hear you. He might kick you out of the club. Its supposed to be all about the charity. It is definitely not pay for play. Lulz

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

4. For the lulz - 7%

yeah i do it for the flair

51 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

We didn’t play around with Ewers and we got Sark his QB. We are making an impressive run at Manning. Those two would pay dividends for Sark no doubt. I think it’s important we remind ourselves there are donors out there making it happen at the most important position on the field. It goes back to reading a roster. Maybe we really have just said screw it we are gonna build Sark the best offense in the country and hopefully the defense can give us the 30% output we need from them to win big games. 

Look, that's a winning strategy.  And it's fun for fans!  Also- if we start winning that makes the pitch for everyone, irrespective of money, easier.  Also, if we can get the offense up to being a top 5 offense in the country and we can go 9-3 or 10-2 and point to "we would have been CFP good if only we could fix this defense" that should get us motivated to invest in that side of the ball.

If Sark is an offensive genius/QB whisperer par excellence it makes sense to invest in what he's good at, lean into making it big time, and figure that if it becomes big time we can fix the rest of that shit later.  No reason that can't work at a place like Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

This is what's so messed up about it to me. There's really no practical/economic value tied to these deals because it's all just coming from (wealthy) fans who aren't even in the program.

I think you are underestimating the power of emotional fandom though. A lot of pro sports owners don't give a shit about profits, they just want the pride of winning a trophy. They'll spend for decades to get there.

Welcome to the world of European soccer.

🏆

“Football is life.”

• Hook 'Em 2

Lack of confidence in Sark among the BMDs has been discussed, but to me our NIL activity points to PK much more than Sark. We can put together a giant deal for Arch, who’s still in high school, but we can’t come up with $600k for Mathis or $200k for Barron? To me that’s the money guys saying why throw gold money after bad with a defensive coordinator that’s not going to get results anyway. 

Since NCAA won't do anything, its  time for our Legislature to lock this NIL shit down.   Here is my proposal:

1.  Any individual, corporation,  or entity offering a graduate (or 1.5+ year enrollee) of a public Texas high school a NIL deal to entice them to attend an out of state college or transfer from a Texas public institution, and that student participates in D1 football, basketball or baseball can now be sued by any Texas citizen for up to $50k each.   

2.  If that individual, corporation, or entity refuses to pay a legal judgement, they are bared from operating in the state of Texas or can have any assets within the state seized. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

Since NCAA won't do anything, its  time for our Legislature to lock this NIL shit down.   Here is my proposal:

1.  Any individual, corporation,  or entity offering a graduate (or 1.5+ year enrollee) of a public Texas high school a NIL deal to entice them to attend an out of state college or transfer from a Texas public institution, and that student participates in D1 football, basketball or baseball can now be sued by any Texas citizen for up to $50k each.   

2.  If that individual, corporation, or entity refuses to pay a legal judgement, they are bared from operating in the state of Texas or can have any assets within the state seized. 

I bet this happens!

4 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Lack of confidence in Sark among the BMDs has been discussed, but to me our NIL activity points to PK much more than Sark. We can put together a giant deal for Arch, who’s still in high school, but we can’t come up with $600k for Mathis or $200k for Barron? To me that’s the money guys saying why throw gold money after bad with a defensive coordinator that’s not going to get results anyway. 

We don't know much about the Barron details yet, but with Mathis I don't think that's what they're saying. Adding quality players to your defense will help the team, regardless of what you think about the DC. With Mathis, you're talking about getting into an unexpected last minute bidding war into the $1M+ range for a one year rental who had 4 sacks last season. 

1 minute ago, Horn Dog said:

If you are looking for a way to get a good chunk of the top 100 players in Texas HS football to transfer to the IMGs of the world, that would be a good way to do it. 

So will whiffing on Mathis cause us to overpay for Land?  I mean, we're pretty fucking desperate and it's too late to recruit someone to the portal who isn't a grad transfer.  We're pretty fucked if we don't get Land.  Odds of a late grad transfer hitting the market seem... low.

5 minutes ago, RabidM said:

So will whiffing on Mathis cause us to overpay for Land?  I mean, we're pretty fucking desperate and it's too late to recruit someone to the portal who isn't a grad transfer.  We're pretty fucked if we don't get Land.  Odds of a late grad transfer hitting the market seem... low.

But 4 sacks

Siap...

Jeff Howe:  There’s been a lot of buzz regarding Xavier Worthy and potential massive NIL deals being offered for him to head elsewhere. However, I was told this afternoon that Worthy is “unequivocally, 100-percent staying” at Texas.

“He’s not leaving,” the source told me. “You can take that to the bank.”

4 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Siap...

Jeff Howe:  There’s been a lot of buzz regarding Xavier Worthy and potential massive NIL deals being offered for him to head elsewhere. However, I was told this afternoon that Worthy is “unequivocally, 100-percent staying” at Texas.

“He’s not leaving,” the source told me. “You can take that to the bank.”

🤣

• Haha 1

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)