2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

closetojumping

24 minutes ago, RabidM said:

So will whiffing on Mathis cause us to overpay for Land?  I mean, we're pretty fucking desperate and it's too late to recruit someone to the portal who isn't a grad transfer.  We're pretty fucked if we don't get Land.  Odds of a late grad transfer hitting the market seem... low.

I'm assuming Land would play off-the-ball LB for UT because he's too small to be an Edge player. But who would he start over at LB? 

3 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

People keep talking about how Mathis only had 4 sacks this past season. I'd like to how many QB hurries & TFLs he had.

Believe he had 12 TFLs this past season. Dude was the number one portal guy for a reason. I'd have taken him. I'm just not sure going up into 7 figures for him was the right call for Texas..

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Believe he had 12 TFLs this past season. Dude was the number one portal guy for a reason. I'd have taken him. I'm just not sure going up into 7 figures for him was the right call for Texas..

He was the number 1 available portal guy last week. He was the number 25 overall ranked portal player according to 247. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Mathis had 7 TFLs and 4 sacks. 

Had 9 sacks and 14 TFLs the year before. 

He was #2  EDge guy behind Verse

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Mathis had 7 TFLs and 4 sacks. 

Had 9 sacks and 14 TFLs the year before. 

I had read he had 26 TFL the past two seasons, and 14 last year. Couldn't find this year's number, so did the math. Guess that 26 number was wrong. 

*26 is the career number, nm

Edited by UncleBuck

Just now, Barbacoa said:

We had to lock Worthy down a while back. Programs have been coming after him since the season, especially Oregon. Don’t know if we had to re up due to some mega offer recently but I’d be surprised. 

Anyone else find it interesting that Phil Knight is tampering with players from Nike's #1 college revenue source (and I'm sure other Nike schools)? Quite the conflict of interests for a publicly held company. Dude needs to focus his tampering on Adidas and UA schools and lay off his moneymakers. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Hornlover said:

I think it would be interesting to poll Burnt Ends members, and ask them "Why do you donate to Burnt Ends?"

I'm guessing that the response rankings would be something like this:

1. To help Texas win recruiting battles - 50%

2. To reward the players - 30%

3. For that sweet Burnt Ends flair - 8%

4. For the lulz - 7%

5. "getting WAY MORE ACCESS into a position group in the form of interviews and appearances" - 5%

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I underestimate how many people really want to listen to Juan Davis on a podcast.

50% help win recruiting battles. 50% peer pressure and being told by everyone that you can't bitch about recruiting if you don't donate. I need to be able to bitch about recruiting.

• Haha 5

4 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

I had read he had 26 TFL the past two seasons, and 14 last year. Couldn't find this year's number, so did the math. Guess that 26 number was wrong. 

Have to wonder what was the reason for the drop. Secondary was banged up and safety play took a nose dive. 

Edited by Codaxx

6 hours ago, immamac said:

This is just false. There are literally laws in the state of Texas governing this, just because everyone is breaking the law doesn't mean the law doesn't exist. 

It looks like there are some compelling civil suits for things such as 'tortious interference in contract.'

56 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Siap...

Jeff Howe:  There’s been a lot of buzz regarding Xavier Worthy and potential massive NIL deals being offered for him to head elsewhere. However, I was told this afternoon that Worthy is “unequivocally, 100-percent staying” at Texas.

“He’s not leaving,” the source told me. “You can take that to the bank.”

He did.

• Like 1

I see that this thread has turned into a shit storm. No surprise. 

If you think things are bad now, with Crawford and Barron, get ready for full-on mass hysteria and complete chaos and anarchy. And as of right now, Texas is not going to fare well. The dismantling has begun. 

The big step to eventually solve this is probably a union and a collective bargaining agreement. We probably will have it in a few years after USC and a few other schools have sufficiently raped us and most other schools. 

Just now, Dbeasy said:

If you think things are bad now, with Crawford and Barron, get ready for full-on mass hysteria and complete chaos and anarchy. And as of right now, Texas is not going to fare well. The dismantling has begun. 

The big step to eventually solve this is probably a union and a collective bargaining agreement. We probably will have it in a few years after USC and a few other schools have sufficiently raped us and most other schools. 

Day Valentine GIF

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Bill Murray Reaction GIF

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Have to wonder what was the reason for the drop. Secondary was banged up and safety play took a nose dive. 

Press clippings took his foot off the gas

Whenever he decides to enter his name in the NFL Draft, there's a good chance that Mathis could be a top two round pick if not higher

https://www.si.com/college/westvirginia/football/players-to-watch-tcu-defense

Here are decision details from mom...

https://www.djournal.com/sports/national/steven-m-sipple-why-ochaun-mathis-mom-trusted-nu-chinanders-wisdom-and-toures-rise/article_67e21f1c-6c85-5a43-9742-d8fff52cd675.html

"Ochaun's big brother (Bruce) is on the autism spectrum, and Nebraska was so accommodating to that fact," Daniels said. "They included him in everything with Ochaun. I was like, 'Wow, no other program has ever done that.' I could see the happiness it brought Ochaun because him and his brother are so very close."

5 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

What's the incentive for the players to form a union or collectively bargain? They are getting more than they thought they would right now.

2 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

What's the incentive for the players to form a union or collectively bargain? They are getting more than they thought they would right now.

Just look at pro sports. I can envision lock-outs, schools suspending their programs, etc. I realize this sounds pretty difficult to believe. 

4 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Remember when ctj said something was going to happen before the portal closed to make this place turn into a bunch of hemorrhaging vaginas?

He mentioned like 8 guys. The first 4 were obvious bread. The second 4 were defensive linemen like Sweat, Coburn, and Broughton.

6 minutes ago, pacman said:

I suspect Nebraska is full of individuals on the spectrum such as Scott Frost, so I am not surprised.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, pacman said:

It probably didn't hurt that the Nebraska head coach is on the autism spectrum as well.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Just look at pro sports. I can envision lock-outs, schools suspending their programs, etc. I realize this sounds pretty difficult to believe. 

I feel like the probability of a Union is mixed. On one hand, superstar players and highly-rated guys buried in the depth chart likely have their earnings capped if they unionize. On the other hand, the 60-80 guys on the roster who don’t meet that bar probably get a lot more value by having the ability to collectively pressure schools, sponsors etc.

27 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Remember when ctj said something was going to happen before the portal closed to make this place turn into a bunch of hemorrhaging vaginas?

16 minutes ago, Bevo said:

He mentioned like 8 guys. The first 4 were obvious bread. The second 4 were defensive linemen like Sweat, Coburn, and Broughton.

In the 2023 portal thread, he said 25 were leaving. In the spring practice thread he said some of the ones leaving would cause people here to "shit themselves in agony".

I went to Costco and bought 140 rolls of toilet paper this weekend, so I'm prepared to shit myself in agony.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Js1 said:

What if this was actually the better hire, but Texas fans saw "Stoops" and lost their minds and our campaign to get this hire scuttled before it could happen actually led to this moment in time? 

I saw us actually beat ou and Stoops got fired at halftime because his D was such a dysfunctional shitpile. Nah. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I saw us actually beat ou and Stoops got fired at halftime because his D was such a dysfunctional shitpile. Nah. 

If he'd gone to UT, it would've kept him from going to FAU where he led the Owls to #75 DFEI. Now he works for his brother.

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)