2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

closetojumping

13 hours ago, immamac said:

Cool. I'll just tell that to the IRS with my charitable organization that I'm on the board of and contribute to financially. I'm sure it'll go over real nicely that I'm breaking laws. 

I'm not naive, and this isn't about getting players in trouble it's about stomping on anything relatively in bounds because there are no referees. Imagine you are playing a game with set rules and someone from the audience hires a guy to come take out your best player at the knees and then the audience rushes the field to disrupt play and the opposing team just gets helped by them. 

It's not fun to watch or participate in, it's fucking bullshit for people trying to play the game, just because referees aren't there doesn't mean you just act like a fucking heathen, but this is America and apparently we are barbaric savages who "take what's there for the taking" because our monkey brains can't comprehend following rules without consequences. 

It delegitimizes all the work we have done with donors, charities, players and everyone involved because a bunch of clowns have now marked our above board charity that is fully in bounds as a way to pay players for performance or recruiting ranking or anything else for that matter, when it's about getting players involved with the community and raising significant awareness for charities that people don't know about. 

Everyone can sit here and call me naive and stupid about NIL all you want, but the naive and stupid ones are the ones trampling all over true NIL with pay for play schemes and straight up buying players from rosters who can't match. 

I'm not some altruistic hippie, but holy fuck this is like taking out a PPP loan and getting it forgiven when you didn't have anyone who needed it or for those not in business like taking the covid mortgage payment assistance even though you kept your job and were perfectly capable of paying. 

Both completely illegal and yet not enforced at all so people rampantly abused the system and it didn't work correctly because of that. /Endrant 

Yeah bro, this is why we are all depressed. The University of Texas is going to play by “the rules” and set everything up squeaky clean while the real power players are handing out cash like Lloyd Christmas.

Fun fact - Mathis, a dude that had 4 sacks last season, will make more than everyone but the head coach and OC on the Nebraska staff. 
I knew things would get crazy with the SCOTUS ruling, but even I didn't see this kind of insanity

Not according to the TCU football website.

2021 | JUNIOR
Started all 12 games ... his 4.0 sacks tied for the team lead while placing second with 7.0 tackles for loss ... placed third on TCU with three pass breakups and fifth with 45 tackles ... recorded two sacks as part of three tackles for loss and seven stops at Oklahoma ... had two tackles for loss, including a sack, with a quarterback hurry and pass breakup at Kansas State ... posted six tackles with five solo and two PBUs in the 52-31 win at Texas Tech ... totaled five tackles with a pair of quarterback hurries against SMU ... had TCU's first blocked field goal since 2017 in the West Virginia game.

2020 | SOPHOMORE
Led the Big 12 and ranked 12th nationally in sacks per game at 0.9 ... his team-best 9.0 sacks were the most by a Horned Frog since Mat Boesen had 11.5 in 2017 ... placed second on TCU with 14.0 tackles for loss which ranked third in the Big 12 and tied for 12th in the FBS ... had at least one TFL in nine of 10 games ... placed fourth on TCU with 46 tackles ... started all 10 games, marking his second straight season of starting every contest ... recorded a career-best 3.0 sacks as part of six tackles in the 34-18 win over Texas Tech ... had sacks on each of the Red Raiders' opening two possessions in the game ... closed the season with a career-high nine stops, including 2.0 sacks and a fumble recovery in the 52-10 victory over Louisiana Tech ... had a pair of sacks and forced a fumble that Dee Winters returned 2 yards for a touchdown in the 59-23 win at Kansas ... totaled six tackles, including one for loss, and a quarterback hurry in the 29-22 win over No. 15 Oklahoma State ... also had six stops, with 2.0 for loss and a sack, at West Virginia ... posted five tackles, including one for loss, and a quarterback hurry in the 33-31 win at No. 9 Texas.

2019 | REDSHIRT FRESHMAN
Started all 12 games ... tied for fifth on the team with 40 tackles ... tied for second with 9.0 tackles for loss and third with 2.5 sacks ... equaled a career-high with seven tackles, including 2.5 for loss and 1.5 sacks, against Baylor ... also had seven stops and 2.5 TFLs in the season opener versus UAPB ... totaled six stops at Oklahoma, including a half-tackle for loss, with a quarterback hurry and pass breakup ... recorded his first collegiate sack as part of four stops at Iowa State ... had two quarterback hurries against SMU and Kansas ... closed the season with two tackles for loss among three stops versus West Virginia.

2018 | REDSHIRT
Played in four games and maintained a redshirt season ... totaled three tackles, including one for a loss, in his collegiate debut in the season opener against Southern ... also appeared in wins over SMU, Iowa State and Baylor ... saw fourth-quarter action in the 16-9 victory at Baylor.

Surprised all 4 sacks wasn't against our 5 matadors..

I know this has been covered many times, but once you jump in the portal your roster spot/scholarship is forfeit unless the team wants you back correct? 
It can be, but if the coaches want to recruit them back they hold off on that for a bit.

2 hours ago, WBT said:

What incentive would a player have to sign such a multi-year deal?  Any attempt to lock up players is going to have to be tied to multi-year NIL guarantees.

Same incentive that any pro athlete has to sign a multi-year deal. Do you want $1m/1 year, and the team can cut you loose if you don't perform, or would you rather have $1.5m/2 years for a little more security?

I think the multi-year contracts idea is a pretty good one except I don't see who would enforce it. Player X can't sign a 5 year deal with the Cowboys on Monday and then turn around and sign a deal with the Eagles on Tuesday because NFL rules prohibit that. In the case of college "contracts", who would make and enforce the rules? The NCAA seems to have basically just washed their hands of any sort of governance at this point. I assume that like the IOC, they're just trying to loot and grift as much as they can before they inevitably collapse upon themselves like a dying star.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Deej said:

As soon as we pull this shit, everyone will suddenly care. 

This is definitely part the attitude that has kept Texas underachieving in football for far too long. Alphas don’t think this way. Every university playing in the mud has a line of schools crying foul, but they know nothing is going to happen. Texas hasn’t been truly serious about winning in either sport where the means to do so will lead to the perception that it’s being achieved unfairly. We can blame coaches, schemes, players, or any other individuals, but the fact is, the culture doesn’t have a win at all costs attitude.

If Texas was serious about winning, the focus would have been on exploiting these new rule changes, leading the charge to buy the best players from across the nation, and being the reason new regulations are needed to be put in place. Instead, we’re losing “possible” impact player recruitments to fucking Nebraska, trying desperately to hang on to our only stud members, and getting excited about potential transfers from schools in Florida that I forgot even existed (that we’re probably already behind on).

This shit is hilarious to me. 

• Hook 'Em 9

4 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

These last twenty pages were a blast catching up on! Reminder: you can’t bitch about our donors not paying up if you’re not in burnt ends. We gave you the ability to do something about it for less than a whataburger, do it or stfu about it. Also for the bitch about the donors crowd, Worthy would be wearing red today if it wasn’t for them

we also built a legitimate the very first IRS APPROVED 501c3 so donors can give their money legitimately while receiving a tax break, the players can do some good in their community and earn legit NIL money while doing it. We don’t need any faux NIL deals or a stupid bag game. We just need people to literally email me at rob@hornswithheart.org and tell me how much money you want to give, I’ll do the rest 

I guess what I’m really trying to say is…I should have made a petition

Nobody gives a fuck about the good works players are doing in the community.  It’s a facade.  If you started a fund for the purpose of acquiring the best football players, I would contribute, but that’s not what you’re doing.  You are playing checkers while everyone else is playing chess.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 11

15 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

These last twenty pages were a blast catching up on! Reminder: you can’t bitch about our donors not paying up if you’re not in burnt ends. We gave you the ability to do something about it for less than a whataburger, do it or stfu about it. Also for the bitch about the donors crowd, Worthy would be wearing red today if it wasn’t for them

we also built a legitimate the very first IRS APPROVED 501c3 so donors can give their money legitimately while receiving a tax break, the players can do some good in their community and earn legit NIL money while doing it. We don’t need any faux NIL deals or a stupid bag game. We just need people to literally email me at rob@hornswithheart.org and tell me how much money you want to give, I’ll do the rest 

I guess what I’m really trying to say is…I should have made a petition

I admire what you guys have done and  I’m not not about telling people how to spend their money, but I think the initial focus on this was all wrong because the Texas culture insists on the “do it the right way” approach. 

This was like a schoolyard organized foot race, where Texas got caught trying to play by traditional rules, and the competition just said “on your mark, get set, go” real quick, while Texas was drawing lines in the dirt.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Donors typically give a shit, compliance typically gives a shit, the AD typically give a shit. Can you remind me again of how the Texas OL class fared after announcing the pancake factory? You think getting a 501c3 approved collective is playing checkers? Guess that’s why we have only seen Ohio state, Texas tech, Arkansas etc etc etc all copy legitimately the exact same model. We aren’t playing chess or checkers, we invented a brand new game where if you lose the IRS sends you to fuck you in the butt prison

Yep, we recruited some potentially great players for Riley to steal once he checks on their development next year.

• Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

I admire what you guys have done and  I’m not not about telling people how to spend their money, but I think the initial focus on this was all wrong because the Texas culture insists on the “do it the right way” approach. 

This was like a schoolyard organized foot race, where Texas got caught trying to play by traditional rules, and the competition just said “on your mark, get set, go” real quick, while Texas was drawing lines in the dirt.

This is revisionist history. The only school that got an earlier start than us on NIL was Oregon. 

Don't conflate what other schools are doing now, almost a year out, to what the guys on this board did in 3-6 months. And also don't conflate issues with direction/organization from the coaching staff to poor effort by fans/donors. I'm not saying there are issues on either side, just that the two are not the same. 

Also, literally everyone is playing by the rules in NIL. There are no more "traditional rules" or gentleman's agreements in back rooms. The contracts are subject to state laws and can be PIA'd. The rules are the rules and they are clear. You can read them here

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

This is revisionist history. The only school that got an earlier start than us on NIL was Oregon. 

Don't conflate what other schools are doing now, almost a year out, to what the guys on this board did in 3-6 months. And also don't conflate issues with direction/organization from the coaching staff to poor effort by fans/donors. I'm not saying there are issues on either side, just that the two are not the same. 

Also, literally everyone is playing by the rules in NIL. There are no more "traditional rules" or gentleman's agreements in back rooms. The contracts are subject to state laws and can be PIA'd. The rules are the rules and they are clear. You can read them here

Explain to me why Texas didn’t go out and get top proven, experienced talent at the positions of most need this off-season? Explain why Texas is fending off suitors for their studs instead of being the aggressor towards the nation’s top OL, Edge, and LBs. I’m asking because I truly don’t understand it. It makes absolutely no sense. It’s in brand for Texas.

The organization just brought in the most talented QB since VY, and put him behind an absolutely terrible OL with hope that some freshman will come in a save the day. Let’s hope he lasts that long.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1
  • Drool 1

21 minutes ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

Explain to me why Texas didn’t go out and get top proven, experienced talent at the positions of most need this off-season? Explain why Texas is fending off suitors for their studs instead of being the aggressor towards the nation’s top OL, Edge, and LBs. I’m asking because I truly don’t understand it. It makes absolutely no sense. It’s in brand for Texas.

The organization just brought in the most talented QB since VY, and put him behind an absolutely terrible OL with hope that some freshman will come in a save the day. Let’s hope he lasts that long.

I don't have a ton of answers for you. I just don't want us to tear each other down when it's not warranted. 

I've heard the coaches told the freshmen OL that they wouldn't sign any transfers during their recruitments. Which makes sense to me when the options are guys like Curtis Dunlap, who ended up at Rutgers. Could they have gone back on that later in the spring once we had some guys of our own enter the portal and the depth issues are literally being broadcast on national TV? Maybe. 

On defense I've honestly got no clue what we're doing. 

Recruiting guys to the portal is messy business. I know I wouldn't want to do it and I don't think the folks that are publicly attached to our big initiatives should be the ones doing it either. Maybe that's the piece we're missing, but I'll also add that none of us would know whether we're doing it unless a we did it poorly or we landed a super big fish (and I guess Quinn Ewers doesn't qualify?). Or maybe we would, I dunno. 

Edited by Bodacious Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Recruiting guys to the portal is messy business. I know I wouldn't want to do it and I don't think the folks that are publicly attached to our big initiatives should be the ones doing it either. Maybe that's the piece we're missing, but I'll also add that none of us would know whether we're doing it unless a we did it poorly or we landed a super big fish (and I guess Quinn Ewers doesn't qualify?).

Completely agree here. Needs to be a separate group than the HWH, Burnt Endz, and CFC. 

One that specializes in these 3rd party v 3rd party discussions. Those same people should also be able to pull information from the agents about guys on our roster as well. Shouldn’t be caught flat footed at the last minutes.  

Im so confused about defensive portal activity in general as well. We have done much there to improve the team. As others on here have said does that fall at the feet of PK, Sark, or both? For our defense to be as bad as it was to only add a corner is not ideal. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

You're butthurt because Texas didn't tamper anybody into the portal at LB or Edge. That's on compliance. 

…. 

Your post screams of entitlement. You feel entitled to answers (Explain to ME!!!). You feel entitled to every player in the portal. You feel entitled to players not even in the portal. You feel entitled to have a roster constructed that satisfies all of your idiotic notions, without having all of the facts on scholarships, player evaluations, NIL constraints, etc. It's pretty sad.

Dude, know your audience. You just described the quintessential surly poster. And got mad because, well, we’re unreasonable, unrealistic, and entitled. 

That’s what we do. That’s who we are. Join us. It’s magnificently miserable in here. Just the way we like it. 

Edited by Junior Bonner
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

We got the top QB, the top TE, a top CB and a couple top WRs. Those are all top proven, experienced talent at positions of  need, where we largely got the best player in the portal at each position. Just because you have a fetish for some mythical OL portal player when we have 7 talented freshmen coming, doesn't mean Texas is behind the ball in NIL. Obviously they've decided that the OL they have coming in is the best bet. I can't imagine why Coach Flood didn't consult with Coelenterate Fuccboi before he made that decision. 

As for bitching about Texas fending off suitors... What a dumb fucking complaint  We fended them off because we had our shit together. That's what you need to tell yourself. 

You're butthurt because Texas didn't tamper anybody into the portal at LB or Edge. That's on compliance. Texas missed out on the one decent edge in the portal, and the reason had nothing to do with NIL. 

Your post screams of entitlement. You feel entitled to answers (Explain to ME!!!). You feel entitled to every player in the portal. You feel entitled to players not even in the portal. You feel entitled to have a roster constructed that satisfies all of your idiotic notions, without having all of the facts on scholarships, player evaluations, NIL constraints, etc. It's pretty sad.

You’re a dipshit and have been defending this OL decision from the beginning. I’m not talking about taking what’s in the portal. I’m talking a creating opportunities, like USC, Oregon, and probably numerous other schools are doing. You’re also in the loser mentality of let’s take a look at what’s available, while winners are out creating availability like they have been for years.  I mean, we had Addison’s coach, who he loved and credited for his success, needed WRs, and the guy ends up at USC. It’s hilarious.

Texas could brought OL into the portal just like USC and Oregon are doing and gotten away with it. It has nothing to do with entitlement, I’m moving further and further away from college football and was simply making an observation to which it seems some people think everyone is playing the game equally. I truly laugh at this organizational incompetence, not get butt hurt.

In short, you can choose to continue to support the organizations loser mentality if you want, but don’t get upset at those who actually see the potential of the program and wonder WTF it’s going to take to light the fuse.  Promising recruits you won’t bring in transfers at your weakest most important position is for sure a loser mentality. If only the top performing OL in the country could be bought now?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

5 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Good news is you can do this on your own without having to go through the facade that is charity.

I've done a couple NIL deals with Texas athletes. DM me and I will send you the contracts in mad lib form so that you can just fill in names, amounts, obligations, etc. 

Looking forward to your contribution.

I tried this and things went south real fast when I asked "the player" for a W9.

5 hours ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

This is definitely part the attitude that has kept Texas underachieving in football for far too long. Alphas don’t think this way. Every university playing in the mud has a line of schools crying foul, but they know nothing is going to happen. Texas hasn’t been truly serious about winning in either sport where the means to do so will lead to the perception that it’s being achieved unfairly. We can blame coaches, schemes, players, or any other individuals, but the fact is, the culture doesn’t have a win at all costs attitude.

If Texas was serious about winning, the focus would have been on exploiting these new rule changes, leading the charge to buy the best players from across the nation, and being the reason new regulations are needed to be put in place. Instead, we’re losing “possible” impact player recruitments to fucking Nebraska, trying desperately to hang on to our only stud members, and getting excited about potential transfers from schools in Florida that I forgot even existed (that we’re probably already behind on).

This shit is hilarious to me. 

“Alphas don’t think this way”?  I’m sorry is this a bit or are you being serious?  I’m a little worried you’re being serious. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Recruiting guys to the portal is messy business. I know I wouldn't want to do it and I don't think the folks that are publicly attached to our big initiatives should be the ones doing it either. Maybe that's the piece we're missing, but I'll also add that none of us would know whether we're doing it unless a we did it poorly or we landed a super big fish (and I guess Quinn Ewers doesn't qualify?). Or maybe we would, I dunno. 

Why do you think it is hard to tell your attorney to call a student athlete and ask him who would be the appropriate contact for negotiating a "NIL" deal?

Edited by Bevo

12 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I tried this and things went south real fast when I asked "the player" for a W9.

For future reference - the staff/Belmont has this ready for every player as part of the “Leverage” program. You should reach out to them instead.

5 hours ago, Hornlover said:

It'd be hilarious if X had proof of Lincoln Riley's involvement in tampering, turned him in to the NCAA, and got him suspended for tampering. 

There is no incentive for star players to turn in programs for tampering. Tampering is part of the way Worthy and players of his caliber get paid. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, LTtxfan said:

The 2022 aggy recruiting class will be a target for future tampering in Nov, Dec, and Jan.  My concern is teams will also go after several 2022 freshmen OL that Texas just signed in February...  

This is just how it is now. We’ll win some and lose some from the portal.  The real concern would be having a roster that doesn’t have players other teams tamper with. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

It would take a special kind of idiot to ruin it for all the others that’s for sure. Why would you do something that removes the leverage from players?

Because you're no longer a player?

18 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

The 2022 aggy recruiting class will be a target for future tampering in Nov, Dec, and Jan.  My concern is teams will also go after several 2022 freshmen OL that Texas just signed in February...  

That is a real concern and may be a part of the staff’s calculus in not bringing in any transfer OL barring a one-year OT stud becoming available. These 2022 guys are going to want playing time immediately or they will be looking around this time next year. 

16 hours ago, irishtexan said:

50% help win recruiting battles. 50% peer pressure and being told by everyone that you can't bitch about recruiting if you don't donate. I need to be able to bitch about recruiting.

8 hours ago, RGBIII said:

I feel validated....

30 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

It would take a special kind of idiot to ruin it for all the others that’s for sure. Why would you do something that removes the leverage from players?

a donor could go to the kid and say “hey if you cooperate to fuck over this other school I’ll cut you a check for $200,000” or something along those lines. the kids just want money. they’re willing to bail on their teammates and friends for money. they like money. money would do it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

You’re a dipshit and have been defending this OL decision from the beginning. I’m not talking about taking what’s in the portal. I’m talking a creating opportunities, like USC, Oregon, and probably numerous other schools are doing. You’re also in the loser mentality of let’s take a look at what’s available, while winners are out creating availability like they have been for years.  I mean, we had Addison’s coach, who he loved and credited for his success, needed WRs, and the guy ends up at USC. It’s hilarious.

Texas could brought OL into the portal just like USC and Oregon are doing and gotten away with it. It has nothing to do with entitlement, I’m moving further and further away from college football and was simply making an observation to which it seems some people think everyone is playing the game equally. I truly laugh at this organizational incompetence, not get butt hurt.

In short, you can choose to continue to support the organizations loser mentality if you want, but don’t get upset at those who actually see the potential of the program and wonder WTF it’s going to take to light the fuse.  Promising recruits you won’t bring in transfers at your weakest most important position is for sure a loser mentality. If only the top performing OL in the country could be bought now?

Got it. You're part of the narcissistic, Me Me Me, instant gratification, the only thing that's important is that I get what I want when I want it, crowd. No need to say more. 

If you prefer to just blatantly cheat in every aspect of the sport with no pretence of honor or integrity, there's a team a couple hundred miles east of Austin that you can start rooting for. I'm not really interested in that. 

And yes, I've defended the OL decision. Not because of any alleged promise (which is speculative bullshit), but because it's the right way to build for the long haul. Use this season to build trust and familiarity and experience with the freshmen. Figure out who has what it takes.

3 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

If you prefer to just blatantly cheat in every aspect of the sport with no pretence of honor or integrity,

Go look at every national champion this century and report back to us which method the most successful. And if what @Barbacoa insinuated yesterday is believed to be true then it’s not pretty for your argument. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

That is a real concern and may be a part of the staff’s calculus in not bringing in any transfer OL barring a one-year OT stud becoming available. These 2022 guys are going to want playing time immediately or they will be looking around this time next year. 

Playing time doesn’t speak as loudly as hundreds of thousands of dollars. If they get offered that, and we aren’t willing to run a payroll and match, they will leave. 

it’s going to be weird. We can’t afford (well maybe we can but won’t) to pay every football player 100-500k per year to stay and play.  But 10 other schools can each offer that to one of our players and we potentially lose 10 guys, or are forced to choose which to negotiate with and which not to. 

It’s going to be wild for a few years until the cost of doing business stabilizes and you either meet it or you step back. 

3 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Got it. You're part of the narcissistic, Me Me Me, instant gratification, the only thing that's important is that I get what I want when I want it, crowd. No need to say more. 

You’ve got me figured out, dude. I can only imagine your success if you’re this good at everything.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)