2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

closetojumping

1 minute ago, quigley said:

I think that's what Caleb and Mario Williams were doing.

For sure. The token visits also give him more NIL negotiating leverage.

1 minute ago, Octavian said:

I mean… if we match or beat the USC offer, he gets to play in a Sarkisian offense with Quinn Ewers throwing to him, Xavier Worthy on the other side, Bijan Robinson in the backfield. I’m not sure we’re really lacking for anything vs. USC here except maybe California women/weed/weather.

If we matched then sure it could happen esp with Marion. But would we really match $2-3 mil? Seems highly doubtful. And don't forget USC has some good selling points too - Caleb Williams, Riley offense, Mario, Hollywood, etc. 

My totally uninformed prediction - he takes 3-4 visits including us and Alabama. We offer him something like $1 mil. Alabama makes it interesting. He ends up at USC as expected all along.

11 minutes ago, chad.ihrig said:

We wouldn’t pony up $600k for Mathis, by all accounts the biggest position of need. Why the hell would we pay Addison $3M or whatever is being reported for a position of well, greed?
Other than the ‘eff LR’ vibe.

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just think about how much easier Addison is to pitch to someone. It’s why we haven’t had issues getting $$$ together to keep Worthy, to get Neyor, to get Ewers, to make a competitive bid to Manning. Our donors know Sark can coach offense, so they may jump on board with the idea of let’s build the best offense we can and see what happens. 

I mean it does sound like C Williams has been talking to Addison for a long time so we may not have a real shot, but if we do I can see our donors matching his other offers.

The $$$ issue with us is are people willing to donate to just general needs for the team? Not as much. Are they willing to donate to something sexy like reuniting Addison with Marion and pairing him with Worthy? Possibly. That would likely be the best WR duo in Texas history. If you donated, you could tell your other rich buddies you helped make that happen.

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

Just think about how much easier Addison is to pitch to someone. It’s why we haven’t had issues getting $$$ together to keep Worthy, to get Neyor, to get Ewers, to make a competitive bid to Manning. Our donors know Sark can coach offense, so they may jump on board with the idea of let’s build the best offense we can and see what happens. 

I mean it does sound like C Williams has been talking to Addison for a long time so we may not have a real shot, but if we do I can see our donors matching his other offers.

The $$$ issue with us is are people willing to donate to just general needs for the team? Not as much. Are they willing to donate to something sexy like reuniting Addison with Marion and pairing him with Worthy? Possibly. That would likely be the best WR duo in Texas history. If you donated, you could tell your other rich buddies you helped make that happen.

Yeah- it’s going to be like baseball up in here. You get some base level shit at big time U for the guys in spots 6-25 in a class on the roster (major league minimum), the top 5 in every class get a nice signing bonus, and then you perform and hit FA after year 1 or 2 and go to the draft in year 3. Smart GM’s (head coaches) will be able to value difference makers that are actually worth WAR and work to sign those guys, and the collectives doing shit like 50k-100k to everyone on scholarship needs to work to fill out the rest of the roster and keep the depth that you want to keep in the program here until they get their chance and get paid the big bucks. 
I think UT won’t act like the dodgers but rather like the Cubs. Big market team content to cash checks and not get really serious about competing at the top of the market most of the time. But maybe, when the stars line up make the push to put it over the top. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, chad.ihrig said:

We wouldn’t pony up $600k for Mathis, by all accounts the biggest position of need. Why the hell would we pay Addison $3M or whatever is being reported for a position of well, greed?

giphy.gif

It helps that Addison is about 10 times the football player Mathis is, and that Addison could score 20+ touchdowns in this offense.

• Hook 'Em 2

34 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

there is a school of thought that the way to fix the system is for us to go scorched earth and win like motherfuckers.   

"oh, what? wait, you mean you guys like rules and shit?  Well I'll be a monkey's uncle! Get over here you little rascals(gives noogie to aggy). Lets grab a beer and have a talk."

Lets Do This GIF by National Geographic Channel

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

It helps that Addison is about 10 times the football player Mathis is, and that Addison could score 20+ touchdowns in this offense.

We would also have a real shot to have the first WR and RB taken which would be huge for recruiting

• Hook 'Em 4

27 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

Anybody have a read on the tax implications on NIL? In theory if we are within 10% of USC then we are equal or greater in value. Since it is being paid for their likeness I assume they would not be taxed like pro athletes based on where each game is played. 

6 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Anybody have a read on the tax implications on NIL? In theory if we are within 10% of USC then we are equal or greater in value. Since it is being paid for their likeness I assume they would not be taxed like pro athletes based on where each game is played. 

It is not pay for play, sir.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Pretty much everyone on here assumed that Washington was processed - but IT at least has made it seem that this was Washington's decision.

I don’t think he was forced out like Harrison. I’m sure the staff would have wished Washington and Dixon had stayed. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The 2022 aggy recruiting class will be a target for future tampering in Nov, Dec, and Jan.  My concern is teams will also go after several 2022 freshmen OL that Texas just signed in February...  
Guarantee you there are seeds already being planted in the minds of some of them, I'd be shocked if the whole lot make it to the '23 season wearing burnt orange. Of course same goes for nearly everyone aggy reeled in..not just one position group.

Just now, ousux said:
7 hours ago, LTtxfan said:
The 2022 aggy recruiting class will be a target for future tampering in Nov, Dec, and Jan.  My concern is teams will also go after several 2022 freshmen OL that Texas just signed in February...  

Guarantee you there are seeds already being planted in the minds of some of them, I'd be shocked if the whole lot make it to the '23 season wearing burnt orange. Of course same goes for nearly everyone aggy reeled in..not just one position group.

For schools like Texas getting them on campus is the biggest thing. Once we have them we will almost always have the opportunity to match any offer they receive. Schools like Pitt and the like will have a tough time once their stars start asking for a bump in pay

11 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Looks like barbacoa is already doing work!

7 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

Was just told the staff has been way ahead on this one thanks to Marion. We are in the mix boys.

I Dont Believe You Will Ferrell GIF

But I am sure USC would love for anyone to believe that to avoid tampering charges or an investigation of some sort, even one into the collective that put an insane number in front of the kid. I do not foresee any single current Texas collective coming anywhere near that number for 1 dude after we just took two others from the portal and had to pay to keep one out of them. Zero chance, prove me wrong

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, ousux said:
7 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

At some point schools may start realizing they're better off waiting until after year 1 to offer big money to guys. Because if you get them out of high school, you have to re-up every single year to keep them (if they're good). If you poach them after their freshman year, they no longer have that free transfer which pretty much kills any leverage they have to re-up.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, RGBIII said:

But I am sure USC would love for anyone to believe that to avoid tampering charges or an investigation of some sort, even one into the collective that put an insane number in front of the kid. I do not foresee any single current Texas collective coming anywhere near that number for 1 dude after we just took two others from the portal and had to pay to keep one out of them. Zero chance, prove me wrong

I like this strategy!

confused dan james GIF by Much

3 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

I know everyone is talking about USC, but I told you guys the other night that Bama thinks they're getting him. He's been the guy that I've heard alluded to as the prime example of their approach on tampering, for months. So the USC stuff might be right, but I don't think this one is fait accompli. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

I know everyone is talking about USC, but I told you guys the other night that Bama thinks they're getting him. He's been the guy that I've heard alluded to as the prime example of their approach on tampering, for months. So the USC stuff might be right, but I don't think this one is fait accompli. 

Could def see it....either way it wont be Texas

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Coming to DKR this fall!/clickbait headline

17 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

Was just told the staff has been way ahead on this one thanks to Marion. We are in the mix boys.

So, it would be so aggy to pay Evan Stewart $1,000,000 and then watch as we pay $4,000,000 for the top WR in the country, only to see Evan Stewart transfer after catching 6 passes next year.  I mean, seriously, this is Charlie Brown U constantly having the football pulled away at the last minute- this absolutely needs to happen. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

It’s CFC that’s on it. You’d know better than me if they’re capable of matching but I was just told by a mutual friend that we are indeed in the mix. 

5 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

No your fucking holistic thought process is the defeatist attitude. Look at every fucking national champion since 2000, they're all dirty programs. Doing anything but what they're doing is literally gimping yourself to be face fucked by the competition who is going above and beyond at all cost. 

If thats the answer then whats the point of even being a Texas fan? If all you care about is winning then pick whatever team wins and if everyone is cheating then whats the point of watching

1 hour ago, chad.ihrig said:

giphy.gif

Because Mathis wasn't that good?

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

If thats the answer then whats the point of even being a Texas fan? If all you care about is winning then pick whatever team wins and if everyone is cheating then whats the point of watching

College football is just a battle of resources. That’s a battle we can win, and I would take great pleasure in seeing us do so. 

• Hook 'Em 8

Just now, Barbacoa said:

College football is just a battle of resources. That’s a battle we can win, and I would take great pleasure in seeing us do so. 

Since when has Texas ever set the market on anything? The narrative is Texas is a  bunch of elitist rich fucks that buy everything but the truth is they are a bunch of miserly old fucks that want to keep their money by not overpaying. As for the rest I'm just trying to figure out the line where it stops being worth it so far the only consensus seems to be don't be a rape factory.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2022 at 11:21 AM, GreenspointTexas said:

Im an idiot, but how in the fuck do we not have NIL money for every player/recruit on the team lined up? Better yet, how are we getting beat by other schools at this? Fucking clown show

Waiting for your cash, buddy. If we weaponized the small cash contributions of our donor base, we'd be sitting pretty. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

If we matched then sure it could happen esp with Marion. But would we really match $2-3 mil? Seems highly doubtful. And don't forget USC has some good selling points too - Caleb Williams, Riley offense, Mario, Hollywood, etc. 

In a heartbeat. Top WRs make up for a lot of deficiencies elsewhere. The risk/reward ratio even at that price is going to be hard to beat.

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)