2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

closetojumping

3 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

How are they still delusional enough to think they can hold onto their little LHF fiefdom for donations? I knew that was a problem initially, but I assumed after seeing the reality of NIL that even they wouldn’t be clueless enough to believe all the money could keep flowing through the athletic department in an era where basically everyone can pay players EXCEPT the athletic department.

That’s so stupid they can’t even possibly be rationalizing it to themselves no matter how much they want to believe it’s true.  That’s just straight up deciding to be greedy.

Oh well.  I’m sure we have enough motivated outside capital to work around them, but in the unlikely event we don’t, good luck to the AD raising money for a football program that isn’t competitive because the AD has proven too greedy to facilitate recruiting like every other school. 

You fix the football team, you fix the donations to upgrade/improve facilities.

• Hook 'Em 6

4 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

Sometimes they land sometimes they bomb.  I took a chance.  Sucks to hear the AD looking at this as competition though.  That’s incredibly obtuse of them.  I would think those greedy motherfuckers would see this as an opportunity to make even more money and ask y’all to help with weaponizing basketball and baseball as well. 

Do you or did you expect anything different from a school that values profits over results?

3 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Addison would obviously be sick as fuck but would definitely prefer we use that money on the top DE or LB that would listen to us, which would be all of them at that price.

Are there any rumors that some top flight defenders will appear in the portal tonight?

6 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

How are they still delusional enough to think they can hold onto their little LHF fiefdom for donations? I knew that was a problem initially, but I assumed after seeing the reality of NIL that even they wouldn’t be clueless enough to believe all the money could keep flowing through the athletic department in an era where basically everyone can pay players EXCEPT the athletic department.

That’s so stupid they can’t even possibly be rationalizing it to themselves no matter how much they want to believe it’s true.  That’s just straight up deciding to be greedy.

Oh well.  I’m sure we have enough motivated outside capital to work around them, but in the unlikely event we don’t, good luck to the AD raising money for a football program that isn’t competitive because the AD has proven too greedy to facilitate recruiting like every other school. 

I’m not sure you’ve met our athletic department.  Here’s a pic for future reference:

hqdefault.jpg

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Yeah, but that’s a pretty extreme example of whistling past the graveyard and short term thinking.  Like if Johnson & Johnson decided not to recall poisoned Tylenol because the profits would be higher that quarter if they kept selling Tylenol another few weeks.

hqdefault.jpg

25 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Addison would obviously be sick as fuck but would definitely prefer we use that money on the top DE or LB that would listen to us, which would be all of them at that price.

They aren't in the portal, Addison is. You want to make this team better, you go get Addison.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Really well said.  #2, I've contended, has always been the easy button for special situations and one offs.  You need $5,000,000 to sign arch?  You get 50 guys together to pay $100,000 each for an exclusive autograph or some such shit. Or one guy buys 10 of them and 2 guys buy 5 and 30 guys buy one.  Whatever.  I'd like to see some powder dry for that kind of thing, but the vast majority of the stuff always makes sense in the collective approach that y'all got going.

I remember back to that meeting when I was asking- what would it take to try to sign WR #2 from the portal, and I was thinking 100k or some such.  And I knew this was going to go the way it did. But it honestly has 1 more zero on it than I thought it would.  Which is a lot taking things from mid 5 figures to mid 6 figures for dudes that aren't even all conference and from mid 6 figures to mid 7 figures for guys that are award level winning types. 

I remember you asked "Would $50,000 be enough to kick this thing off?" and I said: "Uh, no, not anywhere close. Wouldn't make a dent." 

I do still think the concept you espoused, for what you specifically could do, still has value and should be something you're pursuing and trying to earmark a specific position as you do so. Layer cake.

On a serious note- if that is the target and you want to have any chance of reaching that it means that what- someone has to come to the table with at least 25 million?  Typically I think the rule in fundraising is that you aren't going to more than 4X your biggest donation.

I love UT sports. I can't imagine how much money I'd have to be worth (likely there is no amount) where I'd kick in 25,000,000 to a slush fund to pay players at UT. With $25,000,000.00 you can actually look for and solve some real world problems other than- why has UT football sucked for 12 years?   

I don't think fundraising rules of thumb will work as well as thinking about it from a pure capital raise to get a business off the ground perspective. 

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

You can enjoy posting funny clips all you want, but I've spent more time writing documents, at meetings, lining up charities, on the phone and on fucking zoom calls in the last 6 months on this shit, for fucking free, than you can possibly know. And quite honestly probably an amount that I'd be embarrassed to publicly admit. And you know what that helped get us? The first of it's kind program in the country to compensate Texas athletes for supporting and bringing awareness to charitable endeavors. So yeah, maybe I get a little hangry what a bunch of guys on what is supposedly the most educated fan site around can't bother to read or understand NIL rules get critical of what we've accomplished when most of them won't even do the equivalent of wiping the cheeto dust off their fingers and onto their sweatpants to help Texas get out of this shitpile of fandom we're all enduring. 

This isn't English. Get your shit together and at least proofread for a fucking second.

50 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

And to think, CTJ just tries to pass you off as a shitty developer. 

Incorrect, sir. I've told this board already that this guy is going to make more money in 2022 than Steve Sarklossian and I stand by that position. That ain't because he's involved with programming. Dude couldn't write a line of code if you had a gun pointed at his head.

40 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yeah that's tough. I mean, usually with fundraising people get to play up to the ego and say shit like- you will get platinum level recognition, or you will go out in an email, or you will get back stage access, or or or.  With this you get, nothing, to speak of. I mean, I'm not naive enough to think that if you cough up money to make something happen that doesn't come with the implication that you will get some access at high levels, but what about the dude that might chip in 10k if he gets to be part of a 20 person dinner at Sark's house and tell all his friends that and snap pictures.  You don't get that kind of access or swag or anything and that's got to make it even tougher I'd think.

For our group, no one wants anything other than to lay the foundation for the long term success of UT athletics. So there isn't even the need to "get" something from anyone, other than program production. It's still been a fucking beating for folks. I do believe other orgs for other schools will face this challenge and I am betting that this is a problem in a very big way for some current UT big money who's told various efforts that they aren't interested.

11 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Yeah, but that’s a pretty extreme example of whistling past the graveyard and short term thinking.  Like if Johnson & Johnson decided not to recall poisoned Tylenol because the profits would be higher that quarter if they kept selling Tylenol another few weeks.

It's totally off-topic and such, but one of the intriguing things to me in the stuff I've read around what Johnson & Johnson did is how hard they struggled with the decision to pull everything. They did it and they deserve a ton of credit, but it really is one of those things that seems obvious in hindsight but was "brave" and difficult to do during the crisis in real time.

Another example of that which also fascinates me is the new guy's decision at the FAA to ground all air traffic on 9/11 as quickly as he did. First day on the job, early in the day worried about new guy pranks, and terrible, unprecedented shit starts happening. Seems obvious to ground the planes now. At the time, not only had that never been done, they'd never fully contemplated it. Crazy.

• Hook 'Em 3

I love UT sports. I can't imagine how much money I'd have to be worth (likely there is no amount) where I'd kick in 25,000,000 to a slush fund to pay players at UT. With $25,000,000.00 you can actually look for and solve some real world problems other than- why has UT football sucked for 12 years?   

Well you’re never gonna make your first billion with that fucking attitude…

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Anything aimed at the fucking NIL folks around is flatly idiotic

I’m not sure what I portrayed as aiming at NIL folks, as I’m mostly aware of their limitations and I apologize if it came across that way. I respect the hell out of everyone for putting these together. It’s the compliance and complacency of those in power, as it’s always been, that has limited the program’s ability to take advantage of this situation. You can gloss it over to, I don’t give a fuck, but my points are valid. I’ll add you to the Texas Against Tampering committee.

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)
57 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

That kind of shit goes on all the time and has been for decades.  Bean counters.

59 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I remember you asked "Would $50,000 be enough to kick this thing off?" and I said: "Uh, no, not anywhere close. Wouldn't make a dent." 

I do still think the concept you espoused, for what you specifically could do, still has value and should be something you're pursuing and trying to earmark a specific position as you do so. Layer cake.

I don't think fundraising rules of thumb will work as well as thinking about it from a pure capital raise to get a business off the ground perspective. 

This isn't English. Get your shit together and at least proofread for a fucking second.

Incorrect, sir. I've told this board already that this guy is going to make more money in 2022 than Steve Sarklossian and I stand by that position. That ain't because he's involved with programming. Dude couldn't write a line of code if you had a gun pointed at his head.

For our group, no one wants anything other than to lay the foundation for the long term success of UT athletics. So there isn't even the need to "get" something from anyone, other than program production. It's still been a fucking beating for folks. I do believe other orgs for other schools will face this challenge and I am betting that this is a problem in a very big way for some current UT big money who's told various efforts that they aren't interested.

It's totally off-topic and such, but one of the intriguing things to me in the stuff I've read around what Johnson & Johnson did is how hard they struggled with the decision to pull everything. They did it and they deserve a ton of credit, but it really is one of those things that seems obvious in hindsight but was "brave" and difficult to do during the crisis in real time.

Another example of that which also fascinates me is the new guy's decision at the FAA to ground all air traffic on 9/11 as quickly as he did. First day on the job, early in the day worried about new guy pranks, and terrible, unprecedented shit starts happening. Seems obvious to ground the planes now. At the time, not only had that never been done, they'd never fully contemplated it. Crazy.

The part about “for o our group nobody cares, but…” is super interesting to me and I suspect that might be a problem with our big money guys for sure, especially with our admin being antagonistic to the whole thing. 
think about the BMD who isn’t plugged into anything other than TEXAS succeeding. He can give $1,000,000 to the longhorn foundation and have cdc suck his dick in the skybox, or give it to Clark Field and have the admin shit on that decision. 
Puts the struggle in perspective. 

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

You can enjoy posting funny clips all you want, but I've spent more time writing documents, at meetings, lining up charities, on the phone and on fucking zoom calls in the last 6 months on this shit, for fucking free, than you can possibly know. And quite honestly probably an amount that I'd be embarrassed to publicly admit. And you know what that helped get us? The first of it's kind program in the country to compensate Texas athletes for supporting and bringing awareness to charitable endeavors. So yeah, maybe I get a little hangry what a bunch of guys on what is supposedly the most educated fan site around can't bother to read or understand NIL rules get critical of what we've accomplished when most of them won't even do the equivalent of wiping the cheeto dust off their fingers and onto their sweatpants to help Texas get out of this shitpile of fandom we're all enduring. 

i tried... but the fucking chee-to dust doesn't just wipe off... it doesn't even wash off right away...  

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

The part about “for o our group nobody cares, but…” is super interesting to me and I suspect that might be a problem with our big money guys for sure, especially with our admin being antagonistic to the whole thing. 
think about the BMD who isn’t plugged into anything other than TEXAS succeeding. He can give $1,000,000 to the longhorn foundation and have cdc suck his dick in the skybox, or give it to Clark Field and have the admin shit on that decision. 
Puts the struggle in perspective. 

He's gonna get more time with the coaches and players if he's giving to Clark Field.  if you have all the money you need, you wanna hang with Eltife and CDC or get pics hang with Ewers, Sark, Beard, Patterson, Bijan, Worthy, or back in the day Durant, Bamba, etc. they know your money is directly affecting getting kids to campus.

This is why the AD no likey this NIL stuff.

12 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

He's gonna get more time with the coaches and players if he's giving to Clark Field.  if you have all the money you need, you wanna hang with Eltife and CDC or get pics hang with Ewers, Sark, Beard, Patterson, Bijan, Worthy, or back in the day Durant, Bamba, etc. they know your money is directly affecting getting kids to campus.

Well then maybe it is a good thing that a good percentage of our alumni base don't give two shits about sports. They can do the capital raises and the rest of the BMDs do the player stuff. 

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

Some people like shit named after themselves. It sucks that we are in an either or paradigm with this instead of a both/and. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Is that Red thing legit?  
That’s literally amazeballs. 
I mean, I guess it would be pretty cool to have the best WR room and maybe the best RB room  (4 deep anyway in Texas history), but it’s odd to think we’d have all that, plus a 5 star rated 1.000 generational talent at QB and the team prognosis seems to be- fuck off we are likely to only win 8 games and that’s if we are lucky. 
Strange times man. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2