2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

closetojumping

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Sure.  But who the hell knows.  Maybe we have someone gets super pissy about SC and decides to make a "power move".  I mean, I can't believe we would be talking about paying a guy more than he might make as something like the 5th pick in next years draft, but here we are I guess. It really is nuts.  It makes me think that if this year goes well we could get Bijan to stay for his senior year.  
I mean- if the top running back isn't even a 1st rounder anymore, and we are willing to shell out $5,000,000 for a year to a heisman level skill position player why not Bijan?  The year he'd have as a senior in college would be less wear and tear on his body than as an NFL rookie and he'd make more money in college.   I don't suggest that it will happen this way, but I guess I wouldn't rule it out.  

That thought has occurred to me as well. Probably not Bijan, but with NFL teams looking to later rounds to get a RB, it wouldn't be ridiculous for a guy with a draft grade to stay in school for another year for more NIL money. As noted, the wear and tear would be slightly less. Hell, if I was a stud RB, I might cash out after college. With 8 figures in the bank and no further chance of injury or brain damage, I'd call it good. Of course, that kind of thinking would probably lead me to not being a stud RB.

• Hook 'Em 2

I mean, all of our 9.95ers knew that Ryan Watts was going to Texas days before his name entered the portal (more than 48 hours in fact if I remember right) and to my knowledge Watts never committed to Joseph/Gideon at either OU or OSU since neither coached at those places. 

Hall apparently got suspended for shopping around before he actually entered the portal, and considering we were always the favorite it's hard to see how we didn't contact both of these dudes illegally. 

Or more accurately "technically" legally on our part, but also true on a lot of the other schools parts too. I do think we're chicken shit still though when it comes to tampering relatively. I really wish we just poached a freshman AA OT or DE or LB or something from like a Wake Forest. 

We really could have recruited better options into the portal and we chose not to for whatever reason.
Welp, someone forgot to include prepaid burner phones in the athletics budget.

Getting Jamison off the field/out of a starter role should be a priority
I hate to say it, but based on last year's body of work and letting zay get inside on that spring game TD, Jamison should just be returning kicks.
  • Hook 'Em 1

LVBS may end up at blOU. Not ideal. He’s caught 44/518 in 16 games, including pac12 Covid fuckery. 

He has all the tools to be really good. Not fast but his hs tape was awesome. Massive catch radius for his size. He’d be a great J-Whitt contingency plan and we need depth with eligibility and developmental upside. Chasing Addison to play 1 season with a first year qb in a new system behind a line with 1-2 (3) true freshman on it feels like a bad idea for everyone involved. If we’re seriously going to add to that room again, get a guy who can grow here. Addison would be great, but…I mean come on. 

23 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

LVBS may end up at blOU. Not ideal. He’s caught 44/518 in 16 games, including pac12 Covid fuckery. 

He has all the tools to be really good. Not fast but his hs tape was awesome. Massive catch radius for his size. He’d be a great J-Whitt contingency plan and we need depth with eligibility and developmental upside. Chasing Addison to play 1 season with a first year qb in a new system behind a line with 1-2 (3) true freshman on it feels like a bad idea for everyone involved. If we’re seriously going to add to that room again, get a guy who can grow here. Addison would be great, but…I mean come on. 

Disagree. You have a chance to add one of the best returning players in CFB you take it everytime. Having a 1st year QB only strengthens that argument when he has the arm talent to get the ball to his receivers. 

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

We're recruiting high school WR's for their 'developmental upside' - we don't necessarily need the portal for that, and I really don't care who OU might add in the portal. 

I can't see any reason why we'd turn down the opportunity to add the best WR in college football even if it is a one year rental.  I'm in favor of getting Ewers all the receivers so he can put up 4k yards in the air to go with Bijan's 1k on the ground.

Edited by Hiphopopotamos

Just now, Hiphopopotamos said:

We're recruiting high school WR's for their 'developmental upside' - we don't necessarily need the portal for that, and I really don't care who OU might add in the portal. 

I can't see any reason why we'd turn down the opportunity to add the best WR in college football even if it is a one year rental.  I'm in favor of getting Ewers all the receivers so he can put up 4k yards in the air to go with Bijan's 1k on the ground.

If you don’t want to add Addison you’re a certified fuckwhit who should eabod. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, NorLa Horns said:

Sooner or later hes gonna lose this bet. 

But sadly, i think thats his game. He wants everybody to see him fist himself. 

We can all now puke at the thought. 

100 tokens on Chaturbate and you can see it tonight. 

25 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

If you don’t want to add Addison you’re a certified fuckwhit who should eabod. 

Brilliant. Let’s go blow booster wads on a one year rental for a season where 10 wins is a goddamn miracle. This defense will lose games. Now explain to your bankroll how this perceived loss is just a predictor of future gains. 

<niccagecrazyeyes.gif>

We have not hit on hs prospects, that’s the point. Again, Addison would be great, but I’m not confident this team wins 9 games with or without him. If he transferred here and we performed poorly, that’s a negative data point in recruiting future stars in seasons where we might be competitive. 

3 minutes ago, Ricky&#x27;s one-hitter said:

Brilliant. Let’s go blow booster wads on a one year rental for a season where 10 wins is a goddamn miracle. This defense will lose games. Now explain to your bankroll how this perceived loss is just a predictor of future gains. 

<niccagecrazyeyes.gif>

We have not hit on hs prospects, that’s the point. Again, Addison would be great, but I’m not confident this team wins 9 games with or without him. If he transferred here and we performed poorly, that’s a negative data point in recruiting future stars in seasons where we might be competitive. 

You’re fucking stupid. We haven’t hit on HS prospect because our old WR coach was dog shit. 

52 minutes ago, BurntOrange&amp;White said:

If you don’t want to eat chocolate cake for every meal you're a certified fuckwit who should eabod

17 minutes ago, Ricky&#x27;s one-hitter said:

Brilliant. Chocolate cake is delicious, but you can't just eat cake. You need a balanced diet for a healthy body. 

12 minutes ago, BurntOrange&amp;White said:

You’re fucking stupid. Chocolate cake is fucking delicious. How fucking stupid are you to say cake tastes bad. 

FIFY

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, Ricky&#x27;s one-hitter said:

<niccagecrazyeyes.gif>

Dude- you are overthinking this. We would have the best RB room in college football, the best WR room in college football and a 1.000 QB and a 5

star TE, with a great offensive coordinator playing against a dogshit schedule. 

I’m in no way saying our defense won’t blow chunks, but you are taking about an offense that will average 50 a game (non Alabama portion of the schedule) and will put up 60 every third or fourth game. Like- the defense will need to get a turnover or 2 and make them kick 3 figgies and we should be fine. You are seriously underestimating what having that kind of offensive firepower will do. And I know- offensive line blah blah blah. If you are looking at Zay, Neyor, Whittington and Addison, with Bijan in the back field I don’t particularly care what our offensive line looks like- it will be good enough to light up the scoreboard. We don’t play anyone other than Bama who would be able to exploit that issue.
Also- I think the line can aspire to average. 

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Dude- you are overthinking this. We would have the best RB room in college football, the best WR room in college football and a 1.000 QB and a 5

I’m in no way saying our defense won’t blow chunks, but you are taking about an offense that will average 50 a game (non Alabama portion of the schedule) and will put up 60 every third or fourth game. Like- the defense will need to get a turnover or 2 and make them kick 3 figgies and we should be fine. You are seriously underestimating what having that kind of offensive firepower will do. And I know- offensive line blah blah blah. If you are looking at Zay, Neyor, Whittington and Addison, with Bijan in the back field I don’t particularly care what our offensive line looks like- it will be good enough to light up the scoreboard. We don’t play anyone other than Bama who would be able to exploit that issue.

That much talent at skill positions hides an offensive lines deficiencies because defenses will have to be honest. 

• Hook 'Em 4

18 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

Steve Buscemi Reaction GIF

I mean- we averaged over 30 with Casey  Thompson gimped throwing to 1 receiver that wasn’t dogshit, with abysmal TE play and a really good RB room. I don’t think you have any conception of how bad we were at WR and QB last year because your head is so far up your ass in wailing and gnashing of teeth over the offensive line. 
it’s not happening bc we are not getting Addison I’m sure, but even without him I fully expect us to average over 40 a game in the non Alabama portion of our schedule. A team like Alabama will capitalize on our poor offensive line and stick it up our ass. They are a one of one on our schedule that can do that with our skill talent. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ricky&#x27;s one-hitter said:

<niccagecrazyeyes.gif>

I can’t tell if the regard you are arguing with is honestly regarded or just creating his own schtick like futureman. We scored a shit pile of points at will against everybody but Iowa state,and still lost all those games. We let Kansas score 60 ffs. If we spend $3 milly on Addison and go 6-6 then shut the fucking doors, it’s over. What we should do is spend that $3 mill on some defensive players for the love of god. 

1 minute ago, WinningIsHard said:

I can’t tell if the regard you are arguing with is honestly regarded or just creating his own schtick like futureman. We scored a shit pile of points at will against everybody but Iowa state,and still lost all those games. We let Kansas score 60 ffs. If we spend $3 milly on Addison and go 6-6 then shut the fucking doors, it’s over. What we should do is spend that $3 mill on some defensive players for the love of god. 

There are no defensive players currently in the portal of his level. Stupid point is stupid. 

• Hook 'Em 4

I’ll be shocked if we perform anywhere close to the Mac Jones alabama team in QE’s first year in the system. If we do, Ewers is likely the first overall pick after his second season and we are in the hunt for the CFP that year too. 

…if he doesn’t get poached by Oregon

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

We scored fewer that 25 points in half (6) our games last season and 5 of our losses were by one score - that isn't happening in 2022 (non-Alabama schedule). 

May 1st has come and gone and no school is going to approve a waiver for a top defensive player.  Addison is by far the best player available in the portal and it would be idiotic not to go after him.

Edited by Hiphopopotamos
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

This was the OU model until they hired Grinch. It was good enough to win them the conference every year. Good for me until we get used to some success and demand more.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, BurntOrange&amp;White said:

There are no defensive players currently in the portal of his level. Stupid point is stupid. 

there were good players in the portal early on and we didnt go all in on getting them.  its not a stupid point.  we averaged 14 points per game in the second half. we should have been 100% all in on every offensive and defensive lineman that was worth a fuck.  unless we are just going to sacrifice 2 seasons until this recruiting class is ready.  if youre too stupid to see that then youre the idiot. 

1 minute ago, UTEE97 said:

This was the OU model until they hired Grinch. It was good enough to win them the conference every year. Good for me until we get used to some success and demand more.

Absolutely correct. 
top 5 type teams with studly defensive lines would pack our shit in. We don’t play anyone like that in our conference. It’s a stupid fear. If we score 50+ all the time we aren’t going 6-6. It’s all a moot point though as we aren’t signing Addison. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Brilliant. Let’s go blow booster wads on a one year rental…………

I’d assume there are no guarantees for games played on the NIL deals since you cannot pay for play, right?

So how would the money guys feel about getting only 9-10 games out of these guys. The players like the cash but opting-out still is on the table. You’d also think these feel less loyal to their new team.

8 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Quick recap - these are names that have been mentioned by some 9.95'ers as Texas 'possibly' having interest in:

WR Jordan Addison - Biletnikoff winner.  Best WR in football.  Linked to USC and apparently working out with Alabama QB Bryce Young in California. Texas has his old WR coach and Barbacoa says we are 'engaging in the pursuit'.

WR Tarique Milton - Iowa St deep threat whose role in the offense has diminished the last two years.  5th year COVID Senior.  Would be a nice guy to have in case of injury to one of our top 4.  Entered the portal back in Nov 21.

Edge Isaiah Land - FCS leading sacker in 2021.  Kind of a one-trick pony who does that one trick (rushing the passer) really well.  Texas leading sacker had 2 sacks last year - this is obviously a position of need.  Entire coaching and support staff currently stalking him on twitter.

S Marvin Grant - RS Junior from Purdue who started for the first time in 2021 and was a breakout player.  76 tackles and 3 PBU's.  Purdue fans were not happy about this transfer.

LB Lorenzo McCaskill - ultra productive player from ULL who has started last two years there.  RS Senior who has racked up 239 tackles in his 4 years at ULL.  Spent one year at JUCO before transferring to ULL.  Has been in the portal since January.

Any others?

If Quavaris Crouch receives a waiver, we should be all over that.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Absolutely correct. 
top 5 type teams with studly defensive lines would pack our shit in. We don’t play anyone like that in our conference. It’s a stupid fear. If we score 50+ all the time we aren’t going 6-6. It’s all a moot point though as we aren’t signing Addison. 

We scored 50 against Kansas, didn’t we?

• Haha 3
  • Rage+1 2

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

We scored 50 against Kansas, didn’t we?

Not in regulation. And we were a TO factory. 
mid we would have scored 42 every game last year we’d have gone 10-2. I suspect that averaging 45 ish a game this year would have us win somewhere between 9 & 11 games in the regular season.

closer to 11 the less variance there is (I.e scoring between 40 and 50 every game. Closer to 9 if we score 70 a coupe times and 30 a couple times. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Absolutely correct. 

To go along with this, outside of Alabama and Georgia, I’m not sure these athletes exist in droves anywhere.

I also believe there is an underappreciation for the quality of defenders/defenses in the Big 12 last year. Tied for 3rd in draft picks amongst conferences, many of which were defensive guys. And you had 3 teams get no one drafted not including Kansas.

I’d argue that our Oline has faced the best collection of pass rushers outside of Bama and Georgia. Many of those rushers have moved on to the NFL. We should be at least moderately prepared for Bamas defensive pressure.

1 minute ago, Had Enough said:

To go along with this, outside of Alabama and Georgia, I’m not sure these athletes exist in droves anywhere.

I also believe there is an underappreciation for the quality of defenders/defenses in the Big 12 last year. Tied for 3rd in draft picks amongst conferences, many of which were defensive guys. And you had 3 teams get no one drafted not including Kansas.

I’d argue that our Oline has faced the best collection of pass rushers outside of Bama and Georgia. Many of those rushers have moved on to the NFL. We should be at least moderately prepared for Bamas defensive pressure.

Agreed with all up to the last sentence. That game gonna be ugly. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Not in regulation. And we were a TO factory. 
mid we would have scored 42 every game last year we’d have gone 10-2. I suspect that averaging 45 ish a game this year would have us win somewhere between 9 & 11 games in the regular season.

closer to 11 the less variance there is (I.e scoring between 40 and 50 every game. Closer to 9 if we score 70 a coupe times and 30 a couple times. 

I’m on record here and damn near every other thread defending the coaches, the schemes, and how awful tom herman left this roster. I don’t think scoring more points with last years team would have guaranteed anything, they were mentally weak and a metric shit ton of them were just pure losers. We were up 28-7 blOwU game and finished by giving up 25 points to one of the shittier Oklahoma teams I’ve ever seen top to bottom. I watched a Kansas qb boat race our defense for like a 50 yard TD run. I could be just being a bitch and 45 points was the magic number for 10 wins but I seriously doubt it. 

Agreed with all up to the last sentence. That game gonna be ugly. 

I’m making no declaration on the Bama game. I’ll be hopeful with managed expectations so I don’t get my feelings hurt. And that hope comes from an Auburn team that had em beat and an Ag team that scored 10 straight late to win. And we have players and a play caller that can get us some quick hitting plays to negate that pass rush.

But as I sit here, we might need to get a K out the Portal. For when we need that 50 yarder to beat Bama.