2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

Bobby

The recruitment of Jordan Addison, the Biletnikoff Winner and Pitt transfer, continues.

As previously reported, Inside Texas has learned that Addison has narrowed his decision to Texas and USC.

Some close to Addison, as recently as yesterday, were pushing a possible return to Pitt as a third option, but Addison is said to have moved on from that possibility.

I’m not going to sit here and say definitively which school Addison will choose. I don’t know the answer to that.

However, I can say without question that there is growing confidence in Austin and around the Texas program.

Some may try to compare this recruitment to that of Ochaun Mathis, the former TCU defensive end who selected Nebraska after most believed for a long time he would naturally pick the Longhorns.

But, in this instance, Texas feels more like Nebraska, the dark horse nobody took seriously until the very end.

Nobody gave the Horns a real shot at Addison and just assumed Addison would be going to USC once he entered his name in the portal given the behind the scenes discussions with Caleb Williams and Williams’ father prior to that.

But Texas is very much in this. Sarkisian’s success getting the ball to multiple talented receivers is resonating with Addison, as is Addison’s prior relationship with receivers coach Brennan Marion, and his feeling from being around the team.

Earlier this week, I was told to look for a timeline of Thursday for a decision. But this could easily carry into the weekend and early next week.

Addison and those are around him are being thorough. And he understandably feels no immediate pressure from a timeline perspective but does want to get to work with his future team as soon as possible. Both Texas and USC return to work in the next two weeks or so.

Eric Nahlin: 

These are touchy and difficult recruitments to cover that are susceptible to swings. We’re very confident things have gotten quite interesting in recent days. If your read is, he’ll simply go to the school that motivated him into the portal, your read is broken. While that is often the case in these recruitments, largely due to pre-existing relationships, that’s a bad assumption here.

The midweek visit last week should have been a good reminder who the strongest relationship was between, and that’s Addison and Brennan Marion. “He just visited to do his old coach a solid,” wasn’t the case. That visit threw a major kink in USC’s plans and Addison left UT with the impression he was not going to make a rushed decision. Any first-mover advantage USC had appears to be gone as of earlier this week.

As far as not making a quick decision, Addison held true to his word and since the USC visit, dialogue between Addison picked up right where it left off from his visit. This isn’t him stringing things out for appearances sake. If that was the case, he’d just wait to announce for USC rather than still being fully engaged in the recruiting process with Texas. Given his relationship with Marion, do you think he’d string him along?

We’re not going to make a prediction, at least not yet, because of the unknown associated with these recruitments. What we do know with certainty is Texas remains motivated and the midweek confidence from last week, that was premature in some circles, seems to be rising with the people who do matter as we get closer to resolution.

One final word, don’t waste your time trying to piece together nonsense on social media. To their credit, and to the environment Steve Sarkisian has fostered, the players are staying on Addison, but social media isn’t a reliable indicator of where things truly stand.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Some close to Addison, as recently as yesterday, were pushing a possible return to Pitt as a third option, but Addison is said to have moved on from that possibility.

Pitt's coach is technically close to Addison, yes.

23 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Eric Nahlin:  We’re not going to make a prediction, at least not yet, because of the unknown associated with these recruitments. What we do know with certainty is Texas remains motivated and the midweek confidence from last week, that was premature in some circles, seems to be rising with the people who do matter as we get closer to resolution.

6glypa.gif

6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

247 and the JMU 2021 roster list him at 5-foot-10, so he may be even a little bit shorter than that. I doubt Texas pursues.

JMU already 404'd him on their roster https://jmusports.com/404-1.aspx?url=%2froster.aspx%3frp_id%3d17790%26 . Their coaching staff must not take too kindly to entering the portal. 

Edited by MuellerHorn

1 minute ago, MuellerHorn said:

247 lists him at 5-foot-10. I doubt Texas pursues.

I tried looking on JMU's roster, but they already 404'd him https://jmusports.com/404-1.aspx?url=%2froster.aspx%3frp_id%3d17790%26 . Their coaching staff must not take too kindly to entering the portal. 

Man, I don’t care if a guy is 5’8 or 6’4. If he can diagnose, tackle and take proper angles I will take him in a heartbeat on this team.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

As a grad transfer I think he's worth looking at.

6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Man, I don’t care if a guy is 5’8 or 6’4. If he can diagnose, tackle and take proper angles I will take him in a heartbeat on this team.

Again, I'm going off of what I think the coaching staff will do. At his size, I doubt they're going to spend a spot on a one-year rental that is potentially limited athletically/size wise and isn't guaranteed to beat out Overshown or Ford. For the same reason, I don' think Texas would be an attractive landing spot to Diamonte. He wants to trade up and start.

If the coaches think otherwise, then great. Go for it.

Edited by MuellerHorn

Again, I'm going off of what I think the coaching staff will do. At his size, I doubt they're going to spend a spot on a one-year rental that is potentially limited athletically/size wise and isn't guaranteed to beat out Overshown or Ford. For the same reason, I don' think Texas would be an attractive landing spot to Diamonte. He wants to trade up and start.

We are 1 injury away from being completely butt fucked at that position.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

We are 1 injury away from being completely butt fucked at that position.

Look, I'm not saying don't pursue LBs. There have been plenty in the portal, but the coaches haven't thought they'd be worth a roster spot/would upgrade the position. This is the same conversation posters have had ad nauseam regarding the OT position. However, we'll see when it comes to this one.

Edited by MuellerHorn

5 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

I doubt they're going to spend a spot on a one-year rental that is potentially limited athletically/size wise and isn't guaranteed to beat out Overshown or Ford.

If anything I think this makes them more inclined to pursue. He’s a one year rental who doesn’t clog up the depth chart or make it less attractive to younger guys/recruits. If he contributes great if he doesn’t he is off the roster in 8 months. We have open spots considering some of the misses we’ve had in the portal and the supply is getting limited at what is available.

Maybe he was recruited into the portal by another team or isn’t interested in competing for snaps considering he’s going to be a senior, but we would be dumb to not at least kick tires and see if he’s interested.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

Look, I'm not saying don't pursue LBs. There have been plenty in the portal, but the coaches haven't thought they'd be worth a roster spot/would upgrade the position. This is the same conversation posters have had ad nauseam regarding the OT position. However, we'll see when it comes to this one.

OT is completely different because of the talent we've brought in through 2022 class. LB is a whole other animal that doesn't have the same kind of talent coming in via 2022 class.

4 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

If the coaches think otherwise, then great. Go for it.

It sounds like you’re worried about the numbers.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HornsofBevo said:

Definitely not winning a championship this year no matter who we add at this point but adding Addison and better line play should be enough help us win the BIg12 at least and have an outside chance of making the playoffs. That would be a monumental achievement.

You just said we're not winning a championship no matter who we add, yet adding Jordan can help us win the Big 12. Make up your mind. 

• Fuck You 1

17 hours ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Oh it's so funny to be seeing you after so long
And with the way you look I understand
That you were not impressed but I heard
You let that little friend of mine
Take off your party dress

Addison, I know this world is killing you
Oh, Addison, my aim is true

12 minutes ago, Junior Bonner said:

I’m feeling very confident about Addison. Except when I don’t. Then I feel sad. Or kind of “well, bye!” But it’s trending upward now. Then back downward. It’s a volatile, stable situation, filled with turmoil. And peace. 

angry marlon brando GIF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

13 hours ago, Sandbagging Steve said:

I was scrolling from the bottom of the page when I read this and immediately considered an argument. I then noticed the poster's name.  

Mutombo GIFs | Tenor

if you haven't put him on ignore...what are you even doing with your life?

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Garth Brooks ruined country music. Just took a big, heaving, steaming grumpy all over something beautiful. I agree he should not be used as the C&W example. 

You and @BurntOrange&White should get together and go bowling. Just leave the rape van and incel rage against women at home where it belongs. 

wtf! you're confusing me with @Orange&White again

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

247 and the JMU 2021 roster list him at 5-foot-10, so he may be even a little bit shorter than that. I doubt Texas pursues.

JMU already 404'd him on their roster https://jmusports.com/404-1.aspx?url=%2froster.aspx%3frp_id%3d17790%26 . Their coaching staff must not take too kindly to entering the portal. 

London Fletcher was 5’10”

His film looks pretty good. We have any better prospects? 

6 minutes ago, Junior Bonner said:

London Fletcher was 5’10”

His film looks pretty good. We have any better prospects? 

We all can cherry pick outliers for any argument. All I was saying is that I'm not sure they'll pursue due to body type. However, if they deem him to be an upgrade, that's great - they should pursue. Even if they do, I'm still skeptical he goes anywhere where he's not an instant starter.

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

We all can cherry pick outliers for any argument. All I was saying is that I'm not sure they'll pursue due to body type. However, if they deem him to be an upgrade, that's great - they should pursue. Even if they do, I'm still skeptical he goes anywhere where he's not an instant starter.

For the record, I’ve never touched anyone’s cherry… 

3 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Eric Nahlin: 

One final word, don’t waste your time trying to piece together nonsense on social media. To their credit, and to the environment Steve Sarkisian has fostered, the players are staying on Addison, but social media isn’t a reliable indicator of where things truly stand.

Translation: Don't use social media for recruiting information. The only true, reliable source of information comes from us $9.95ers. 

1 hour ago, SimkinsMan said:

We're chasing the best WR in the country and Surly is having a pissing contest over country music pissing. I would expect nothing less from this band of degenerate malcontents.

So...you've got friends in low places? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

Seems your thought process was a little off.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1