2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

closetojumping

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

He doesn't say that he's going to try and give edge another go, although you can try and imply that if you want

Fuck me for just reading the headline.  He also says he wants to 'get below 300' which is fine as long as he's still carrying 290-295.  Any lower than that and I'd worry he's lost the speed advantage he had as a 'big guy'.  I was worried he was looking to transform himself into a 270 pound Edge.

17 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Obviously Edge is still a take if one comes available, but if we can get Mathis I like where we are. According to this interview, Alfred Collins is going to lose weight this offseason and try to give Edge another go. 

https://www.hookem.com/story/sports/football/2022/01/19/texas-football-alfred-collins-says-theres-still-room-improvement/6562135001/

Reveal hidden contents

Like Texas football coaches and teammates, Alfred Collins endured a disappointing 5-7 season. It included a six-game losing skid, the longest since 1956.

But Collins is remaining a Longhorn. He said he has no plans to enter the transfer portal and find greener pastures elsewhere. Label the Cedar Creek alum an optimist.

“(The season) didn’t go as planned, but I feel like it’s up from here,” Collins said last week in the library of Creek Creek Middle School, which he attended years ago and where his mother, Benita, currently teaches seventh grade mathematics. “That’s how I’m looking at it.”

That type of positive attitude in the face of adversity could be contagious.

Collins, a 6-foot-5, 295-pound defensive end, believes that improvement will come by “just perfecting the craft and the defensive scheme,” which was introduced by the new staff.

Eyes on Texas: Working in silence is Alfred Collins’ mantra, but time to raise the volume

The defense ranked only No. 114 of out 130 Football Bowl Subdivision teams against the run, allowing 201 yards a game. In terms of sacks, it was tied for 98th with 1.67 a game.

“I feel once we get to know the scheme even better, it’ll allow us to get pressure on the quarterback and stop runs,” Collins said.

Collins, a sophomore, played in all 12 games and started four after an injury to Jacoby Jones. He finished the season with 25 tackles (15 solo) and two sacks.

“Obviously, (my season) could have been better,” he said. “There’s still room for improvement. I have a lot of work to do, get stronger, work on my pass rush.”

Collins played at more than 300 pounds but said he intends to remain under that weight.

“I don’t like being over 300,” he said. “It makes me slower.”

Collins didn’t relax during the semester break. He spent nearly every day at HT Fitness on Highway 21 in Cedar Creek lifting weights.

“I want to work on my explosiveness and quickness,” he said.

Upon his return to campus, Collins plans to meet with Torre Becton, the director of sport performance, to set up a regimen in the weight room.

“Get with the experts,” Collins said. “I believe in him and what he has to say.”

Bohls:My preseason Texas predictions were off the mark — just like the football team

Texas defensive end Alfred Collins was selected first-team academic All-Big 12 for his freshman year, which requires a 3.2 GPA. This past fall, the sophomore said he earned a 3.4 GPA.

The Texas coaching staff signed eight defensive linemen to enter as freshmen, more than any position. Collins relishes the competition.

“I love it,” he said. “It’ll make me step my game up. I don’t want any freshman coming in and taking my spot. They may try to take my spot, but I don’t want that to happen. So that’s going to make me elevate my game.”

If Collins has a breakout junior season, he said he would consider entering the NFL draft.

"I want to have a great season this year,” he said. “If I can stay one more year and better my (NFL) stock, then I will. That’s the ideal. If not, I’ll stay (for a fourth year).”

In the classroom, Collins was selected first-team academic All-Big 12 for his freshman year, which requires a 3.2 GPA. Last fall, he said he earned a 3.4 GPA.

At age 20, Collins hasn’t yet taken his road test for a driver’s license. He’s heard the wait for the test is six months because of the COVID-19 pandemic. He didn’t appear too concerned about it, though.

His only concern at the moment is being an improved version of himself on the football field.

7 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

With Coburn, Sweat and Murphy returning plus the dudes we have coming in how is he gonna get the quantity of snaps he needs to make an impact?

Well, two of the guys you just listed are NTs that play a completely different position than Collins. On top of that, Coburn sucks, Murphy still has a lot of developing to do. Right now we have 5 experienced DL who will likely get snaps, including Collins. It won’t be that hard to get him snaps at DL. 

On top of that, even if he slims down, he’ll still be a 295 lb guy trying to play edge. That’s not ideal. He needs to play inside where his quickness is more of a factor. He doesn’t bend the corner well enough to be a consistent threat at edge. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Well, two of the guys you just listed are NTs that play a completely different position than Collins. On top of that, Coburn sucks, Murphy still has a lot of developing to do. Right now we have 5 experienced DL who will likely get snaps, including Collins. It won’t be that hard to get him snaps at DL. 

On top of that, even if he slims down, he’ll still be a 295 lb guy trying to play edge. That’s not ideal. He needs to play inside where his quickness is more of a factor. He doesn’t bend the corner well enough to be a consistent threat at edge. 

Agreed. Just because he's losing weight doesn't mean edge. Ojomo weighs 286 per his UT bio. We need some portal edges and then move Collins back to DT.

45 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Obviously Edge is still a take if one comes available, but if we can get Mathis I like where we are. According to this interview, Alfred Collins is going to lose weight this offseason and try to give Edge another go. 

https://www.hookem.com/story/sports/football/2022/01/19/texas-football-alfred-collins-says-theres-still-room-improvement/6562135001/

Hide contents

Like Texas football coaches and teammates, Alfred Collins endured a disappointing 5-7 season. It included a six-game losing skid, the longest since 1956.

But Collins is remaining a Longhorn. He said he has no plans to enter the transfer portal and find greener pastures elsewhere. Label the Cedar Creek alum an optimist.

“(The season) didn’t go as planned, but I feel like it’s up from here,” Collins said last week in the library of Creek Creek Middle School, which he attended years ago and where his mother, Benita, currently teaches seventh grade mathematics. “That’s how I’m looking at it.”

That type of positive attitude in the face of adversity could be contagious.

Collins, a 6-foot-5, 295-pound defensive end, believes that improvement will come by “just perfecting the craft and the defensive scheme,” which was introduced by the new staff.

Eyes on Texas: Working in silence is Alfred Collins’ mantra, but time to raise the volume

The defense ranked only No. 114 of out 130 Football Bowl Subdivision teams against the run, allowing 201 yards a game. In terms of sacks, it was tied for 98th with 1.67 a game.

“I feel once we get to know the scheme even better, it’ll allow us to get pressure on the quarterback and stop runs,” Collins said.

Collins, a sophomore, played in all 12 games and started four after an injury to Jacoby Jones. He finished the season with 25 tackles (15 solo) and two sacks.

“Obviously, (my season) could have been better,” he said. “There’s still room for improvement. I have a lot of work to do, get stronger, work on my pass rush.”

Collins played at more than 300 pounds but said he intends to remain under that weight.

“I don’t like being over 300,” he said. “It makes me slower.”

Collins didn’t relax during the semester break. He spent nearly every day at HT Fitness on Highway 21 in Cedar Creek lifting weights.

“I want to work on my explosiveness and quickness,” he said.

Upon his return to campus, Collins plans to meet with Torre Becton, the director of sport performance, to set up a regimen in the weight room.

“Get with the experts,” Collins said. “I believe in him and what he has to say.”

Bohls:My preseason Texas predictions were off the mark — just like the football team

Texas defensive end Alfred Collins was selected first-team academic All-Big 12 for his freshman year, which requires a 3.2 GPA. This past fall, the sophomore said he earned a 3.4 GPA.

The Texas coaching staff signed eight defensive linemen to enter as freshmen, more than any position. Collins relishes the competition.

“I love it,” he said. “It’ll make me step my game up. I don’t want any freshman coming in and taking my spot. They may try to take my spot, but I don’t want that to happen. So that’s going to make me elevate my game.”

If Collins has a breakout junior season, he said he would consider entering the NFL draft.

"I want to have a great season this year,” he said. “If I can stay one more year and better my (NFL) stock, then I will. That’s the ideal. If not, I’ll stay (for a fourth year).”

In the classroom, Collins was selected first-team academic All-Big 12 for his freshman year, which requires a 3.2 GPA. Last fall, he said he earned a 3.4 GPA.

At age 20, Collins hasn’t yet taken his road test for a driver’s license. He’s heard the wait for the test is six months because of the COVID-19 pandemic. He didn’t appear too concerned about it, though.

His only concern at the moment is being an improved version of himself on the football field.

200.gif

Edited by Bigbend1812
Dark mode. Fuck me
  • Haha 1

Moody Fong'd to us 

Spoiler

Fired in a 247Sports Crystal Ball for Texas to land former Alabama linebacker Jaylen Moody out of the Transfer Portal after talking to a source with knowledge of the situation. Sounds like this could be done in the next day or two.

BamaOnLine’s Charlie Potter had the story on Jan. 13 that Moody entered the portal.

Moody played in all 15 games this season as a reserve inside linebacker and special teams contributor in helping the Tide return to the National Title game. He registered 15 tackles throughout the season and an interception in the season opener against Miami. A native of Conway, S.C., Moody appeared in 55 games over his four seasons in Tuscaloosa, recording 44 career tackles. He will have one year of eligibility left.

The Longhorns have already landed three this cycle form the portal in quarterback Quinn Ewers, defensive back Ryan Watts and tight end Jahleel Billingsley.

Moody was a late riser in the 2018 recruiting class and chose the Crimson Tide over Arkansas, Ole Miss and Clemson.

• Hook 'Em 9

4 minutes ago, Teryor said:

Moody Fong'd to us 

Reveal hidden contents

Fired in a 247Sports Crystal Ball for Texas to land former Alabama linebacker Jaylen Moody out of the Transfer Portal after talking to a source with knowledge of the situation. Sounds like this could be done in the next day or two.

BamaOnLine’s Charlie Potter had the story on Jan. 13 that Moody entered the portal.

Moody played in all 15 games this season as a reserve inside linebacker and special teams contributor in helping the Tide return to the National Title game. He registered 15 tackles throughout the season and an interception in the season opener against Miami. A native of Conway, S.C., Moody appeared in 55 games over his four seasons in Tuscaloosa, recording 44 career tackles. He will have one year of eligibility left.

The Longhorns have already landed three this cycle form the portal in quarterback Quinn Ewers, defensive back Ryan Watts and tight end Jahleel Billingsley.

Moody was a late riser in the 2018 recruiting class and chose the Crimson Tide over Arkansas, Ole Miss and Clemson.

Dwyane Wade Reaction GIF by NBA

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

He is not an edge guy (3 tech in 4 man line or 3i in 3 man front), but he could probably get away with it in true Elko fashion. I just dont think Texas has the depth to go to a  4 man line. 

Mathis...Ojomo and Collins are guys that can get away with playing DE, but it is not their ideal fit. 

Coburn, Sweat and Murphy can play interior. 

Broughton and Welch did not look ready.. 

6 guys is not enough to play Elko style defense. You really need at least a 2 deep on the interior, especially since Coburn has not shown the ability to maintain stamina past the first 10 plays. 

I am kind of at a loss, as to the proper DL for this team. There isnt enough proven depth to go to a true 4 man line. You have 3 guys at the nose (Sweat, Coburn, Murphy), 2 at DT (Ojomo, Collins(Murphy looks like he could play here as well)), 1 at SDE Mathis, and then it is bunch of  young players at that WDE/OLB spot. Maybe I am forgetting people. 

Edited by Codaxx

31 minutes ago, Teryor said:

Moody Fong'd to us 

Reveal hidden contents

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

He is not an edge guy (3 tech in 4 man line or 3i in 3 man front), but he could probably get away with it in true Elko fashion. I just dont think Texas has the depth to go to a  4 man line. 

Mathis...Ojomo and Collins are guys that can get away with playing DE, but it is not their ideal fit. 

6 guys is not enough to play Elko style defense. You really need at least a 2 deep on the interior, especially since Coburn has not shown the ability to maintain stamina past the first 10 plays. 

I am kind of at a loss, as to the proper DL for this team. There isnt enough proven depth to go to a true 4 man line. You have 3 guys at the nose (Sweat, Coburn, Murphy), 2 at DT (Ojomo, Collins(Murphy looks like he could play here as well)), 1 at SDE Mathis, and then it is bunch of  young players at that WDE/OLB spot. Maybe I am forgetting people. 

I think we're ok on the interior. Edge is the weakest position on the roster imo (some talent but young and inexperienced). Mathis is an absolute must get. Maybe Sorrel and Ovie take a step forward. Or one of the other young guys shows up ready to go.

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

I can think of 5 people I’ve met that attended Tenn. 4 of them are absolutely this stupid.

I have done some business in Knoxville, and Tennessee actually has a pretty nice campus. It looks a lot like Texas if you took UT and put the campus in Waxahachie or some similarly sized shitty town. 

Edited by Vertigo

Just now, Tex-19 said:

Moody sounds like a special teams ace, culture builder, and possible although not surefire contributor at LB. I'll take it.

Everything I've been able to find from Bama fans, including preseason videos talking about the LB camp battle suggests that he will be good if given the opportunity to play. He could just be a victim of being behind a bunch of 5 stars. He was the definite starter if To' Too didn't transfer there.

27 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Mathis is a plug and play starter at DE, then you have Sorrel and Harris who are both second year edges, plus Finkley should be ready for some snaps. But it certainly wouldn’t hurt to get another edge defender. We’ve been painfully thin at that spot for about a decade. 

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, Gidnik said:

how does a LB average less than a tackle a game over a 55 game career? 

16 minutes ago, NoName said:

plays a lot of ST

15 minutes ago, Fud said:

By being a backup 

I'm not sure if it isn't obvious yet, but the answer to your question is that he averaged less than a tackle a game by not playing actual LB in most of those 55 games. 

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

"Bunch of young players" solves your problem there. Sorrel looked pretty good, as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

I think we're ok on the interior. Edge is the weakest position on the roster imo (some talent but young and inexperienced). Mathis is an absolute must get. Maybe Sorrel and Ovie take a step forward. Or one of the other young guys shows up ready to go.

that is really the issue. Mathis takes care of 1 spot, but depending how you want to look at it the WDE/OLB spot is an unknown. Sorrel, Ovie, and Freshman. Coaches grabbed 3 at that spot in Finkley, Tapp, and Burke. Texas is rolling the dice that someone among that group can offer decent play. 

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

that is really the issue. Mathis takes care of 1 spot, but depending how you want to look at it the WDE/OLB spot is an unknown. Sorrel, Ovie, and Freshman. Coaches grabbed 3 at that spot in Finkley, Tapp, and Burke. Texas is rolling the dice that someone among that group can offer decent play. 

You’re still leaving out Harris, and it’s also possible we add someone in May, so it’s a little early to say they’re rolling the dice for sure, but edge is a pretty scarce position in the portal so Im not getting my hopes up. 

Watched Harold Perkins interview where he chatted up Florida while getting paid by aggy right before watching Moody's video above. Even if Moody doesn't come to Texas his approach to Football makes me think he has more of chance at the NFL than Perkins. Who knows, but my orange tinted sunglasses like having him Fong'd to us.

• Hook 'Em 3

Ole Miss and OU 247 on Dart

Ole Miss

"***I'll continue to update Jaxson Dart and Michael Trigg together. I know everyone wants to know when to expect an announcement on these guys. All I can tell you is that people who would 100% know what is happening are also waiting. Like I reported yesterday, I knew Ole Miss was visiting Dart yesterday and honestly thought an announcement might come from it, but still waiting. I've tried to be careful in general — but especially on this one — to not be swayed by media going up and down with what they feel is happening. I'm just telling you what I hear which hasn't changed from day one. There is confidence they will get a good outcome on both players but nobody has ever said it's a done deal. I have heard more more specific details from their weekend visit that is also reason to be optimistic. Now this is just opinion but the fact that Oklahoma media has been more up and down compared to what I have been hearing also gives me a better feeling about it. I just can't tell you 100% this is happening, and probably would never go that far on anyone anyway, but a lot of people will be surprised if this doesn't end positively. It would be nice to have more reporting from the players' side of this to round things out and you should take that into consideration here, but this is what we have for now."

OU

"

Here is what I know up to this point:

A well-connected source told me that Coach Venables is at Dart's house still or at least was when we spoke around 10pm central time. They hadn't heard anything more and even told OUinsider, "Nothing has been said to anyone about a decision yet with them." The source obviously was speaking of Jaxson Dart and Mike Trigg. I still hadn't heard if they visited Trigg yet, but as far as Dart goes, this in-home has been going on for quite some time tonight.

We are working on this as best as we can. I would call OU 'cautiously optomistic' right now and with the longevity of the in-home, I guess things could be moving in a positive direction. That would be assuming things, though, and with no context or confirmed information to back it up. A source I spoke with seemed to honestly be a bit shocked the in-home was still on-going.

On the flip side, I haven't heard of anything from the Ole Miss side of things, but I will add that they were still confident earlier today. But much like eveyrone else, they also didn't know what the final verdict would be just yet.

The Rebels had their in-home earlier today, as well.

More if/when we get some extra information."

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

You’re still leaving out Harris, and it’s also possible we add someone in May, so it’s a little early to say they’re rolling the dice for sure, but edge is a pretty scarce position in the portal so Im not getting my hopes up. 

and Harris, but again that is more of an unknown. I am not saying nobody will step up, but highlighting the fact that there is not a proven player at the position. Sanders would have been huge here

Edited by Codaxx

6 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Watched Harold Perkins interview where he chatted up Florida while getting paid by aggy right before watching Moody's video above. Even if Moody doesn't come to Texas his approach to Football makes me think he has more of chance at the NFL than Perkins. Who knows, but my orange tinted sunglasses like having him Fong'd to us.

Define "more of chance at the NFL"... Are you really saying that you think Moody will get drafted higher than Perkins or have a longer career in the NFL?

5 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

For those wondering about Jalen Moody not starting at Alabama - these are the players who started ahead of him the last three years at MIKE  and WILL:  Christian Harris, Dylan Moses, and Henry To'oTo'o

From the outside looking, it's difficult to tell if they felt comfortable with him potentially starting on 2021 but couldn't say no once Toto came on the market, or if they didn't feel comfortable rolling with Moody and were always going to find a transfer or have a younger guy pass him up. Maybe ex Bama staffers at Texas would know, but I'd feel better about it if they were defensive guys. Seems like if he were really good, he'd have forced his way into more snaps and production though 

So TLDR: who the fuck knows? 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

For those wondering about Jalen Moody not starting at Alabama - these are the players who started ahead of him the last three years at MIKE  and WILL:  Christian Harris, Dylan Moses, and Henry To'oTo'o

Yeah pretty crazy. Not saying I have a clue but even if Moody was a future 3rd round pick he'd be on the bench.

If it's true that he was the clear next man up for Bama at LB, then I really like this pickup.

Just now, Fud said:

From the outside looking, it's difficult to tell if they felt comfortable with him potentially starting on 2021 but couldn't say no once Toto came on the market, or if they didn't feel comfortable rolling with Moody and were always going to find a transfer or have a younger guy pass him up. Maybe ex Bama staffers at Texas would know, but I'd feel better about it if they were defensive guys. Seems like if he were really good, he'd have forced his way into more snaps and production though 

So TLDR: who the fuck knows? 

Fair point but also..Bama's bar for him starting should be very different from ours right now. I would gladly take him if he can just be an average performer at that spot this year. Saban doesn't need to settle for average.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Fair point but also..Bama's bar for him starting should be very different from ours right now. I would gladly take him if he can just be an average performer at that spot this year. Saban doesn't need to settle for average.

We should know first hand that being a bunch guy behind first rounders doesn't necessarily mean you're good

I doubt anyone has a great feel for how good he is other than current Bama defensive staffers 

21 minutes ago, Creasy Bear said:

Define "more of chance at the NFL"... Are you really saying that you think Moody will get drafted higher than Perkins or have a longer career in the NFL?

That he will actually make it. The Laissez-faire approach Perkins has to his recruiting suggests he has similar approaches to several facets of his life. Perkins appears to be full on chasing the $$. I could see this causing a massive flame out when he tries to lean on his athleticism if he approaches his game the same way he did the recruiting process.

Moody has appeared to work his ass off throughout the process, never complained and accepted his role at times. I could certainly see Moody accepting a depth role in the NFL over Perkins.

Granted I could be reading way to much into the two interviews and be off my rocker.

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Cool. Time for Stone (or Sideshow Bob) to show out

We really need to open a spot for Laramie. From what I understand, he is real close with Tunmise. Tunmise didn't see action last year and in my estimation is a portal candidate. Meanwhile, if we could get Tunmise to lose some weight, he could become a fierce DE for us. I'm not big on package deals, but this one could really work in our favor.

37 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Moody is also 4 years more mature at this point. That is a big gap at 18 years old. 

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)