2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

closetojumping

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

UGA's defense is different than ours and asks for more physicality out of their Nickel, so they tend to use more safety types there. PK usually uses smaller guys who can cover better, like Cook.  Brini's 6'2, 210, and coverage isn't his strongest suit, so he may not be as good of a fit at Nickel for us.

We have a lot of positions up in the air in the secondary right now so I expect they'll move different guys around to see what works. After watching them trot out Foster and Schooler for so many snaps last year, whether or not they actually identify the best combo will be the big question.

You might be right but I thought PK wanted a bigger guy at star? Like Harold Perkins or Jacoby Matthews. We just didn't have a guy like that last year. 

Idk the scouting report on Brini. Stats seem fairly balanced - 38 tackles (8th on team) and 8 PDs (t-2nd on team) - but obviously those stats don't tell much.

Who knows. Definitely nickel or S. Coaches might not even know yet, might just need to see how everything fits together.

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

We have a lot of positions up in the air in the secondary right now so I expect they'll move different guys around to see what works. After watching them trot out Foster and Schooler for so many snaps last year, whether or not they actually identify the best combo will be the big question.

Along with DC duties, it appears GP has been a position coach for LBs, DBs and Safeties in the past.  

What positions on defense do folks expect Gare to really help with the most at Texas??

7 minutes ago, ousux said:
13 minutes ago, Theo Aquacates said:
I would be satisfied if I never have to hear the name BJ Foster on this message board again. 

Or Schooler. One of the most meh transfers in recent memory.

His brother was on the all conference team

22 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

You might be right but I thought PK wanted a bigger guy at star? Like Harold Perkins or Jacoby Matthews. We just didn't have a guy like that last year. 

Idk the scouting report on Brini. Stats seem fairly balanced - 38 tackles (8th on team) and 8 PDs (t-2nd on team) - but obviously those stats don't tell much.

Who knows. Definitely nickel or S. Coaches might not even know yet, might just need to see how everything fits together.

I think that was just a sales pitch for Perkins who's an absolute athletic freak. That hasn't been PK's MO. Myles Bryant and Elijah Modlen were all conference Nickels for PK at UW and both were like 5'10, 185. Cook weighed 190ish last year. Plugging in a 6'2, 210 lb guy would be a change for him.  We'll see. There's a lot of moving parts. I could see about 5 different starting combos in the secondary being possible. 

20 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Along with DC duties, it appears GP has been a position coach for LBs, DBs and Safeties in the past.  

What positions on defense do folks expect Gare to really help with the most at Texas??

The hope is that his biggest impact is in changing the scheme, but I don't think anyone really knows exactly what GP's role is at this point. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I think that was just a sales pitch for Perkins who's an absolute athletic freak. That hasn't been PK's MO. Myles Bryant and Elijah Modlen were all conference Nickels for PK at UW and both were like 5'10, 185. Cook weighed 190ish last year. Plugging in a 6'2, 210 lb guy would be a change for him.  We'll see. There's a lot of moving parts. I could see about 5 different starting combos in the secondary being possible. 

The hope is that his biggest impact is in changing the scheme, but I don't think anyone really knows exactly what GP's role is at this point. 

He also rolled down a safety in to the box at Washington, which he did little of last year. I didn’t see much similarities to PK’s Washington defenses to the defense last year. I wonder if We should be thinking how would Gary use Brini, instead of how PK would use him 

4 minutes ago, pacman said:

Brini in Fayetnam per Arky

Recent Twitter follows are Ark coaches

Texas coaches are confident 

The Twitter follows are not new. Its been that way for at least the past 48 hours. But if he's really in Fayetteville right now he gone, he's already visited them before

Edited by RaysBoomBoomRoom

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)