2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Wisconsin of all places finally saying "fuck it, we're done with the most boring, competent 8-10 win seasons you've ever seen outside of Iowa City" and money whipping a brash primadonna 5-star transfer would be fucking beautiful.

It's all fun and games until you get frostbite on your throwing hand from passing out drunk in the snow. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Texas is learning how to play the game per TFB

Reveal hidden contents

NIL” Deals and Transfer Recruiting ImpactBy: Super KPosted on: January 24, 2022
TFB

***First, let’s be clear, in my estimation, what’s currently happening in CFB recruiting can hardly be called NIL deals. Plain and simple, this is boosters inducing players to go to school. And while some of that stuff happened before, under the table, it was nothing like what it is now.
***I spoke with a coach late last week and he told me that while he’s been on the road, he has high school coaches now asking for a share of “NIL” money.
***I spoke with a source with some direct knowledge of NIL deals and I wanted to pass some of that along to you.
***Was told that a particular transfer QB from a P5 program had a multiple P5 transfer opportunities. He ended up at a G5 program. Source told me said QB was offered close to seven figures after a booster or two from said G5 got involved. The family simply couldn’t turn that kind of money down.
***There are high school players being offered 400K plus.
***I was told that Texas outbid Tennessee for Wyoming WR transfer, Isaiah Neyor. I don’t know exactly what was offered but was told by a solid source on this that Tennessee had offered him a deal worth 250K and whatever Texas offered couldn’t be countered by Tennessee.
***Remember though, that Texas wasn’t on Neyor in the beginning. You’ll recall that we mentioned there was some back channel work to get Pitt WR, Jordan Addison. Addison never entered the portal so Sark and co couldn’t do what they did with Neyor. But I suspect it’s no coincidence that a day or two after Addison said he wasn’t leaving, he posted…

I also suspect it’s no coincidence it was around that time that Sark and co went after Neyor. I was told Sark wouldn’t take no for an answer.
***Now, I do believe that there are major regulations coming. The sense I’m getting is that a federal bill is in the works. But…
***For now, I bring this up to say that you have to suspend some of your previous understanding of recruitment, especially as it relates to transfers.
***The reality is, you can have a player trending in your direction but you have no idea what’s going to be offered the next day. One coach told me, “I can recruit a kid and land him, wake up in the morning and find out I lost him to the money”.
***We don’t know who is being offered what at all times and that is the point.
***So while we can be first to tell you Mario Williams is visiting or that Texas is in the lead for Ochaun Mathis or that there is a possibility of that Jordan Addison will enter the portal, trying to predict where these kids will go in this current environment is really challenging for everyone, including coaches. Again, a player can have a certain intention and express that to folks we’d normally talk to and the next day a booster steps in and changes the game.

COMMENTS

1. Which now G5 QB could've gotten almost 7 figures?

2. So they're saying Neyor got near Evan Stewart money? That seems questionable.

3. Lol at them outlining all of this and then saying nothing could happen with Addison because he wasn't officially in the portal. That's where schools draw the line!

15 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

1. Which now G5 QB could've gotten almost 7 figures?

2. So they're saying Neyor got near Evan Stewart money? That seems questionable.

3. Lol at them outlining all of this and then saying nothing could happen with Addison because he wasn't officially in the portal. That's where schools draw the line!

They’ve been really really bad at the portal coverage, don’t forget they said the UTEP WR Cowan entered the portal with the intention of coming to Texas only for neither side to ever show interest. 

2 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

Who tf is Bobby Engram and why does Caleb care so much?

Or is this just his version of Tech and Kittley?

Former bad-ass WR with the Bears/Seahawks who moved into coaching and was most recently the TE coach for the Baltimore Ravens.  Now the OC for UW.  

Have no idea what connection he has to Caleb or why they'd be so keen to play for a first time coordinator.

Edited by Hiphopopotamos

8 minutes ago, Askew said:

I wonder how sustainable it is for Saban to continue this trend of bringing in sure-fire starters from the portal and pushing out young studs. Seems faustian, but if anyone can make it work it's him. 

That's not his issue. He'll be gone by the time it catches up to him. Kinda like Sean Payton leaving the saints in cap hell

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Askew said:

I wonder how sustainable it is for Saban to continue this trend of bringing in sure-fire starters from the portal and pushing out young studs. Seems faustian, but if anyone can make it work it's him. 

As long as your results have been there’s fire the past decade pretty sustainable. He’s running that machine like a pro team. 

14 minutes ago, Askew said:

Wheaton's always been a bit of an odd duck. This could just be natural attrition.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 hours ago, texifornia said:

The fuck is a "run-on"? Is this some cheesy James Franklin motivational renaming of walk-on?

holy shit, it is. but it goes back to BoB being their coach lol

Penn State coach Bill O'Brien said he "hates the word walk-on." He's calling the many prep standouts he's recruiting "run-ons" for the energy and zest with which they're accepting preferred walk-on positions.

https://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/2013/02/penn_state_run-ons_a_quick_loo.html

• Haha 5
  • Rage+1 1

16 hours ago, Getafix said:

This is sending people haywire.

(Embody's now - supposedly - with On3.)

user generated

so, we are saying that Wisc hiring a guy who has never called a play at any level and never been an offensive coordinator at any level is the one who got Caleb Williams to leave every other program behind and pick Wisconsin?

this is even more stupid than Evan Stewart picking A&M - you have the option to go to any program in the country, you picked OU initially because you believed in Riley and that he was the one who could make you an NFL top of the draft pick. he leaves for what is arguably a better program/situation, takes a bunch of the coaches with him and you end up leaving to go play for well known QB whisperer Paul Chryst and a guy who has never called a play at any level?

that is certainly a choice.

this whole thing still feels like the guy who doesn't want to be seen as a given to USC and who is doing all of this to increase the NIL offers to get him to go where he wants to go in the first place. this is what - the 2nd school in the last week that went from totally out of it and not a place he had even visited to "THEY ARE RIGHT IN IT AND MAY BE THE LEADERS!"

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

Who tf is Bobby Engram and why does Caleb care so much?

Or is this just his version of Tech and Kittley?

playing and coaching history:

image.png.82d2a6107ffc8eb61fe3046ff61a55dc.png

holy shit, unless they hire Engram as the QB coach (a position he neither played or has ever coached) they do not have a QB coach on the roster? Chryst was evidently the QB Coach+OC+Head Coach last year.

Texas has Milwee. not having an actual QB coach seems like a really bad move all things considered.

what a hilarious sell to the world "yup, Wisc hiring a guy who has never called plays, never been an offensive coordinator and never coached at the college level is the guy who got us to go there!"

11 minutes ago, NoName said:

this whole thing still feels like the guy who doesn't want to be seen as a given to USC and who is doing all of this to increase the NIL offers to get him to go where he wants to go in the first place. this is what - the 2nd school in the last week that went from totally out of it and not a place he had even visited to "THEY ARE RIGHT IN IT AND MAY BE THE LEADERS!"

For clarification - this is not legal, correct? You can't offer NIL deals as incentive to sign? And furthermore, you can't offer NIL deals until they are enrolled?

Unless this is another instance of NIL and bag money being conflated.

Just now, dieucla98 said:

For clarification - this is not legal, correct? You can't offer NIL deals as incentive to sign? And furthermore, you can't offer NIL deals until they are enrolled?

Is this serious?

You also can’t tamper yet everyone does it. Schools are absolutely offering NIL deals that will be signed after they enroll as incentives to sign. If both parties are fine with it, then there’s no one to report the illegality. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

Is this serious?

You also can’t tamper yet everyone does it. Schools are absolutely offering NIL deals that will be signed after they enroll as incentives to sign. If both parties are fine with it, then there’s no one to report the illegality. 

Yes it's serious. I'm curious to the actual rule, not whether or not it's being followed. I'm not that naive.

8 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

is it legal? no. you are totally correct in that NIL can't be offered as an incentive to sign.

will and does it happen? yes.

bag money = dark money

NIL money = legit

Caleb Williams and his family are not morons - why take dark money when you can get it all legal? plus NIL $ begets more NIL $ - especially if you are at USC vs Wisconsin lol

• Hook 'Em 2

29 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

Any corporation/business entity/etc can offer any NIL deal they want to a current college student athlete at any school. They can't make choosing a specific school a condition for that deal... Allegedly

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

This was the news.... JB hunt is a huge Fortune 500 company, but i'm not sure how this will work.

JB Hunt has a market cap of 20 Billion. This will likely be Clark Field Collective level money if that, but I doubt it would be any bigger than that. 

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)