2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

2 minutes ago, Radical Larry said:

conversation i had with an african american colleauge about hiking the wilderness.

him: what, so you just walk around in the woods doing what?

me: hiking

him: yea, but what are you doing?

him: for what?

me: it's cool. it's being in nature. beautiful scenery.

him: can't you just drive through there?

caleb williams aint hiking no appalachian trail.

• Haha 6

25 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

conversation i had with an african american colleauge about hiking the wilderness.

him: what, so you just walk around in the woods doing what?

him: yea, but what are you doing?

him: for what?

me: it's cool. it's being in nature. beautiful scenery.

him: can't you just drive through there?

caleb williams aint hiking no appalachian trail.

I'll just walk the earth. What'cha mean walk the earth? You... - Movie  Fanatic

58 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

This was the news.... JB hunt is a huge Fortune 500 company, but i'm not sure how this will work.

This is the wildest part of the new NIL landscape. If they really care enough, one billionaire can put any random school on the same level as a UT, A&M, etc. 

• Hook 'Em 4

13 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

This is the wildest part of the new NIL landscape. If they really care enough, one billionaire can put any random school on the same level as a UT, A&M, etc. 

If walmart gets heavily involved then I don't know many programs that could compete with that kind of cash.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

If walmart gets heavily involved then I don't know many programs that could compete with that kind of cash.

Walmart is a public company and can't be directly pouring millions of dollars into one school's sports with no real ROI. The Waltons however can do whatever they want with their own wealth. 

Michael Dell would be UT's closest equivalent. Or maybe Elon decides he wants to fuck with people and support UT lol.

The biggest variable is how much these people care though. The Waltons could throw in $1mm a year bc it's chump change but they don't really care about Arky sports, while the Double Eagle bros at Tech could put in $20mm a year bc they're desperate. We're talking monopoly money for these people, so it's really just about who wants to play the game.

9 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

We have Musk in Austin and Taylor Hamm in College Station. Let's not give the crown to Arkansas yet. 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Walmart is a public company and can't be directly pouring millions of dollars into one school's sports with no real ROI. The Waltons however can do whatever they want with their own wealth. 

Michael Dell would be UT's closest equivalent. Or maybe Elon decides he wants to fuck with people and support UT lol.

The biggest variable is how much these people care though. The Waltons could throw in $1mm a year bc it's chump change but they don't really care about Arky sports, while the Double Eagle bros at Tech could put in $20mm a year bc they're desperate. We're talking monopoly money for these people, so it's really just about who wants to play the game.

This is pretty insane way of looking at it:

image.png.1919e0efadfb710f7e159fb4e8c4222c.png

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Who needs Michael Dell or Elon Musk when we’ve got GreenspointTexas and his Nursing money at our disposal

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

This is pretty insane way of looking at it:

image.png.1919e0efadfb710f7e159fb4e8c4222c.png

People seem to really underestimate the money in Arkansas. The Stephens bankers, Dillard's, the chicken folks, a bunch of other groups that got rich around the Bentonville system for Walmart, etc. It's a long list. My BIL went to HS and college in Arkansas and became buddies with a lot of the heirs. His wife is part of Arkansas royalty replete with multiple family tangents and members having their own wikipedia pages and public images. It's interesting to see up close. They're certainly an alumnibase with deep enough pockets to do whatever they like.

I've said this a bunch, but every decent-sized school that gives a shit will wind up with their own major NIL initiatives shortly, and that's going to start dwarfing anything under the table. Expect more Texas stuff as well, for sure. We'll see things boil down to 20-30 schools with big pools across football and throw in a handful of schools with specific big NIL programs for key sports based on their history. I think Texas and a very select few others will be able to do it across the entirety of their programs for both male and female athletes. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

People seem to really underestimate the money in Arkansas. The Stephens bankers, Dillard's, the chicken folks, a bunch of other groups that got rich around the Bentonville system for Walmart, etc. It's a long list. My BIL went to HS and college in Arkansas and became buddies with a lot of the heirs. His wife is part of Arkansas royalty replete with multiple family tangents and members having their own wikipedia pages and public images. It's interesting to see up close. They're certainly an alumnibase with deep enough pockets to do whatever they like.

I've said this a bunch, but every decent-sized school that gives a shit will wind up with their own major NIL initiatives shortly, and that's going to start dwarfing anything under the table. Expect more Texas stuff as well, for sure. We'll see things boil down to 20-30 schools with big pools across football and throw in a handful of schools with specific big NIL programs for key sports based on their history. I think Texas and a very select few others will be able to do it across the entirety of their programs for both male and female athletes. 

That would imply to me that for the 20-30 schools that you suggest, there is basically a level playing field moving forward.  Right now you have some schools that are earlier to market with plans, and others that are continuing to pay under the table, but in 2-3 years, most schools should have their shit together and NIL dollars looking pretty simliar between schools.  Then it gets back to more traditional recruiting pitches--the school itself, resources, location, development, etc, etc.

Or maybe that's just wishful thinking by me because we should do fairly well when NIL is normalized.

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Yeah, Tyson is pretty big business with Tyson, Jimmy Dean, Hillshire Farm, BallPark, Wright, Aidell's and State Fair brands. The market cap is $33 billion and I think John Tyson is worth a couple billion.

6 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Yeah, Tyson is pretty big business with Tyson, Jimmy Dean, Hillshire Farm, BallPark, Wright, Aidell's and State Fair brands. The market cap is $33 billion and I think John Tyson is worth a couple billion.

[Cool story bro] Used to do some work for Tyson Brands. The flights directly into Springdale were oftentimes outside budget parameters because of the overflow Walmart consultants flying into Fayetteville and Springdale direct, so I had to fly to Tulsa and drive.  There was a Tyson vending machine in the Tulsa airport that served chicken sandwiches. Blew my mind - can't imagine how many people shit their brains out in airplanes and in rental cars thinking that was a novelty item. [Cool story bro]

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jamaal.25 said:

They are revolutionizing NIL, yet announcing it via Myspace?.. On par for Arkansans, I suppose.

Apparently Twitter has a thing called spaces now. So he was saying his (Twitter) space which is why it wasn't all one word.

Basically this new organization is a consortium that companies can donate money to fund, and athletes can sign deals with it and receive money for doing charitable work for nonprofits in Arkansas. Basketball player JD Notae is the first to sign so he will receive compensation for doing work with Samaritan's Feet which is a local nonprofit. Hard to tell how much of an impact this will cause but it all depends on if other companies want to jump in to help fund it.

Seems like something that could easily be copied by other schools though. The Waltons generally don't give a crap about Arkansas sports but the charitable side may change things and it would be hard to top if they did get involved. 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

lots of money in Ark...not that much (historically) in NW Ark. it is a huge reason why they played LSU at War Memorial for so long and the boosters in LR had considerable power before Jeff Long was around.

this isn't related to that but the LR Touchdown club appears to have used a mug shot for Matt Jones on their calendar for this year and i find it funny

image.png.62172a995f925c88c2c58b9fef40b988.png

Spoiler

TD-Club-lineup-792x1024.jpeg

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Gohogs14 said:

Apparently Twitter has a thing called spaces now. So he was saying his (Twitter) space which is why it wasn't all one word.

Basically this new organization is a consortium that companies can donate money to fund, and athletes can sign deals with it and receive money for doing charitable work for nonprofits in Arkansas. Basketball player JD Notae is the first to sign so he will receive compensation for doing work with Samaritan's Feet which is a local nonprofit. Hard to tell how much of an impact this will cause but it all depends on if other companies want to jump in to help fund it.

Seems like something that could easily be copied by other schools though. The Waltons generally don't give a crap about Arkansas sports but the charitable side may change things and it would be hard to top if they did get involved. 

Could be copied by other schools? lulz

It was just copied by Arkansas from Horns with Heart.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Getafix said:

This is sending people haywire.

(Embody's now - supposedly - with On3.)

user generated

about a week after Williams entered the portal, someone - don't recall who, maybe Feldman? - opined on Twitter that CW should consider and might end up at Wiscy and listed various rationales.

3 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Tell me you don't know a nurse without telling me you don't know a nurse. 

Username and all.  I have nurses on both sides of my family.  WE don't really discuss the shit they go through, and yes, Covid does suck for them.  Bad of me to say that.  But, I've heard, at least in California, they get quite a bit of bonus pay for working now.  Maybe they were lying, I didn't ask for a W2 

24 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

They do well, as do regular nurses. Covid been bery bery good to them.

14 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Tell me you don't know a nurse without telling me you don't know a nurse. 

Obviously the phrasing part was a snafu, but in all seriousness, the impact of corona has led to significantly higher pay requirements for quality RNs. I know this because of the payroll I see every other week full of nurses and shit has gotten real for those of us paying the bills. Also, medical supplies, holy fucking shit with the pandemic and inflation. Anyway … where were we?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NoName said:

lots of money in Ark...not that much (historically) in NW Ark. it is a huge reason why they played LSU at War Memorial for so long and the boosters in LR had considerable power before Jeff Long was around.

this isn't related to that but the LR Touchdown club appears to have used a mug shot for Matt Jones on their calendar for this year and i find it funny

image.png.62172a995f925c88c2c58b9fef40b988.png

Reveal hidden contents

TD-Club-lineup-792x1024.jpeg

Can we start another fund for former players so they don't have to take speaking engagements in fucking Arkansas? 

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Jamaal.25 said:

It was a joke, bud. But glad you feel smarter now. It's not often a razorback can feel this euphoria

Hey there were OU fans who legitimately thought it was being announced on MySpace lol, I didn't know about the Twitter thing until recently.

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)