2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

closetojumping

20 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Former bad-ass WR with the Bears/Seahawks who moved into coaching and was most recently the TE coach for the Baltimore Ravens.  Now the OC for UW.  

Have no idea what connection he has to Caleb or why they'd be so keen to play for a first time coordinator.

Mike Farrell said that Engram is a long-time family friend of the Williams. Makes at least a little sense now

4 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

This is the wildest part of the new NIL landscape. If they really care enough, one billionaire can put any random school on the same level as a UT, A&M, etc. 

the German soccer team I randomly ended up following did exactly that.  SAP founder bought them and took them from semi pro all the way up to the top league over like 15 years by overspending on salaries relative to the league they played in, earn promotion, repeat. 

14 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

the German soccer team I randomly ended up following did exactly that.  SAP founder bought them and took them from semi pro all the way up to the top league over like 15 years by overspending on salaries relative to the league they played in, earn promotion, repeat. 

Oh Hoffenheim - they don't even play in Hoffenheim anymore because the town has like 3 people in it, they built their new stadium in the bigger town of Sinsheim down the road. It's like if Texas State had a donor move them to San Antonio.

imago03688408h.jpg

9 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Oh Hoffenheim - they don't even play in Hoffenheim anymore because the town has like 3 people in it, they built their new stadium in the bigger town of Sinsheim down the road. It's like if Texas State had a donor move them to San Antonio.

imago03688408h.jpg

Are y'all talking about quiddich again?

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

eh, no.  Hoffenheim is 5km away by googlemaps, but more like 2km between the edge of either. Hoffenheim is part of Sinsheim.  More like if a Texas State donor moved them to Kyle.

Hoffenheim (German pronunciation: [ˈhɔfn̩haɪ̯m] (audio speaker iconlisten)) is a village in Rhein-Neckar-Kreis, Baden-Württemberg, Germany. It belongs to the municipality of Sinsheim and, as of 2020, it has a population of 3,191.

Sorry - I grew up about an hour from there and that simply didn't sound accurate at all.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, texifornia said:

imago03688408h.jpg

I know. My tepid fandom stemmed from attending a match there when we were in Germany and looking to catch a match near us and that one fit the bill.  They won, too. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mittens said:

eh, no.  Hoffenheim is 5km away by googlemaps, but more like 2km between the edge of either. Hoffenheim is part of Sinsheim.  More like if a Texas State donor moved them to Kyle.

So they'd be a team wearing maroon at Kyle Field? No need for duplicates, we can get rid of the beta version where the dev forgot to include female cheerleaders.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

Arkansas student athletes now the exclusive spokespeople for Jerryworld parking spots.   Come park at Jerryworld.  Best $125 you ever spent.  

The players go out to the stadium and paint their spots like those stupid senior spots in HS and they auction off the spots for the season.

2 hours ago, Mittens said:

Sorry - I grew up about an hour from there and that simply didn't sound accurate at all.

If I make a post concerning The Great Red Spot on Jupiter, someone on Surly will let me know they either grew up there or live there now. It's a given. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Obviously the phrasing part was a snafu, but in all seriousness, the impact of corona has led to significantly higher pay requirements for quality RNs. I know this because of the payroll I see every other week full of nurses and shit has gotten real for those of us paying the bills. Also, medical supplies, holy fucking shit with the pandemic and inflation. Anyway … where were we?

Is this another form of your humor?

Complaining about nurses' salaries during a pandemic? Forest-trees???

Fyi, everyone is paying the bills.

Your knowledge of this appears limited, but think about this next time you complain about "someone not knowing what they're talking about" on a topic.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, quigley said:

Your knowledge of this appears limited, but think about this next time you complain about "someone not knowing what they're talking about" on a topic.

IMG_9971.GIF

• Haha 8

3 hours ago, quigley said:

spacer.png

I think he’s just stating a fact as evidenced by the below:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/nurse-salaries-rise-as-demand-for-their-services-soars-during-covid-19-pandemic-11637145000

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/covid-travel-nurses/2021/12/05/550b15fc-4c71-11ec-a1b9-9f12bd39487a_story.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/high-pay-for-covid-19-nurses-leads-to-shortages-at-some-hospitals-11630253483

Also, I’m not sure your statement that “everyone pays the bills” is valid here. Hospitals/hospital administrators pay the bills. My boss’ wife is a hospital admin in NYC and she’s said that a lot of Northeast hospitals have struggled to be profitable because of problems with labor retention and wage inflation. I would imagine that’s the case in many places around the country. When hospitals aren’t profitable and they start closing, that’s a problem for everybody.

Maybe you should think about this the next time you complain about someone’s knowledge being limited.

• Hook 'Em 4

5 hours ago, quigley said:

Are you a robot? The OU version of Randolph Duke (minus about 75 IQ points)? Have you just been binge-reading RD posts, thus losing precious IQ points?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Octavian said:

spacer.png

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/nurse-salaries-rise-as-demand-for-their-services-soars-during-covid-19-pandemic-11637145000

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/covid-travel-nurses/2021/12/05/550b15fc-4c71-11ec-a1b9-9f12bd39487a_story.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/high-pay-for-covid-19-nurses-leads-to-shortages-at-some-hospitals-11630253483

Also, I’m not sure your statement that “everyone pays the bills” is valid here. Hospitals/hospital administrators pay the bills. My boss’ wife is a hospital admin in NYC and she’s said that a lot of Northeast hospitals have struggled to be profitable because of problems with labor retention and wage inflation. I would imagine that’s the case in many places around the country. When hospitals aren’t profitable and they start closing, that’s a problem for everybody.

Maybe you should think about this the next time you complain about someone’s knowledge being limited.

No CR

2 hours ago, Octavian said:

@Tex Pete I encourage both of you to dig just ONE millimeter deeper on the problem. Yes, nursing salaries are going up. That isn't the problem.

Complaining about nurses salaries is problem #1, especially now, when thousands of nurses have died from on the exposure caring while they were caring for people.Early in 2020, in NYC, is a particularly instructive example of why you either pay for nursing or people die. Staff shortages, among other shortages, wrecked NYC hospitals. This is why death rates (case fatality rates) specifically in NYC at that time are higher than at any other point in the pandemic. And your care suffered whether you had the infection or not because there wasn't staffing for other standard services because those services were redirected for care of infected people.

Problem #2 is that hospitals in the NE didn't lose money during 2020 and 2021 because Federal funds bailed them out so that's how we all pay for it. Ask your wife's boss. And nursing salaries in the NE cities, relative to cost of living are worse than other parts of the country at baseline. Ask you wife's boss about these staff. And why was it a necessity that hospitals make money specifically in during this time when other industries didn't? Hospital closures have accelerated with with increasing corporate ownership in the space. It's because of thinking about shareholders, not patients.

When you're sick you'd gladly pay for someone to care for you. Hopefully there are nurses trained and available to do this. Paying them for their board skills, now in a time when they risk illness and death, is the least we can do.

Edited by quigley
  • Hook 'Em 8
  • Fuck You 2

14 minutes ago, quigley said:

@Tex Pete I encourage both of you to dig just ONE millimeter deeper on the problem. Yes, nursing salaries are going up. That isn't the problem.

Complaining about nurses salaries is problem #1, especially now, when thousands of nurses have died from on the exposure caring while they were caring for people.Early in 2020, in NYC, is a particularly instructive example of why you either pay for nursing or people die. Staff shortages, among other shortages, wrecked NYC hospitals. This is why death rates (case fatality rates) specifically in NYC at that time are higher than at any other point in the pandemic. And your care suffered whether you had the infection or not because there wasn't staffing for other standard services because those services were redirected for care of infected people.

Problem #2 is that hospitals in the NE didn't lose money during 2020 and 2021 because Federal funds bailed them out so that's how we all pay for it. Ask your wife's boss. And nursing salaries in the NE cities, relative to cost of living are worse than other parts of the country at baseline. Ask you wife's boss about these staff. And why was it a necessity that hospitals make money specifically in during this time when other industries didn't? Hospital closures have accelerated with with increasing corporate ownership in the space. It's because of thinking about shareholders, not patients.

When you're sick you'd gladly pay for someone to care for you. Hopefully there are nurses trained and available to do this. Paying them for their board skills, now in a time when they risk illness and death, is the least we can do.

Lol. “Skin deep”.

1. The primary cause of high death rates was the city running out of ICU bed capacity/ventilators - you can ask literally any nurse in NYC and they would tell you that. Hiring 5,000 nurses wouldn’t have helped at that point.

2. Yes, Congress approved $300B for hospital aid but this went in concentrated amounts to profitable hospital chains that didn’t need it and ran out. A lot of hospitals still closed in 2020/2021, particularly in rural areas, because the funding didn’t get allocated to them.

This isn’t the hospital/COVID/nurse pay thread so if you feel the need to continue, feel free to DM me.

(No CR)

• Drool 1

20 minutes ago, quigley said:

Jesus he's observing that nurses are more expensive, not saying he's getting cheated or anything. One can be annoyed at the impact on rising costs on one's personal finances without hating nurses or thinking they're not worth it.

• Hook 'Em 3

46 minutes ago, quigley said:

I don’t think anyone is complaining about nurse salaries.  Do you have a crush on ctj?  You’re always all over his shit and it’s cluttering up the board

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, quigley said:

Dude, you are looking like a bigger idiot every additional post you make. Just stahp. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, gurt said:

we're basically turning into European soccer where a random oligarch decides a team is going to be good now.

A pretty good comparison in multiple ways. The Super SEC (or whatever comes out of it) is basically akin to the Super League. Except it's actually going to end up happening, because this is America and money rules everything.

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)