2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

9 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Needs:

OL, in the no shit department.

LB and Jack … still.  After taking 4 transfers this year, we are playing Luke Brockermeyer and Jett Bush.  Maybe next year someone needs to have veto power over Pete K’s and Choate’s portal offers so we actually address the issue instead of burning another half dozen scholarships on guys who will sit behind walk ons.  

WR - I guess, but they were actually open if our QB and OL could execute better.  I still don’t think our starters are really that bad here.  I’d rather sign Evan Stewart, Jordan Hudson and Brenen Thompson, but we will need the portal if we don’t close on our elite high school targets this year.  

QB -  If someone good becomes available, I would not pass them up to avoid hurting Card’s feelings.

What game did you watch? There was about a dozen plays where Card was running around the backfield like a chicken with his head cut off waiting on a receiver to come open. The drops and overthrows certainly didn't help though. 

27 minutes ago, TankedBevo said:

What game did you watch? There was about a dozen plays where Card was running around the backfield like a chicken with his head cut off waiting on a receiver to come open. The drops and overthrows certainly didn't help though. 

I watched the game where guys were running free and he couldn’t cut it loose or saw it late. His eyes dropped to the rush a lot.

11 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

He didn’t get the ball out on time when they were open, and there were plenty of plays when they weren’t open because Arkansas dropped 8 into coverage.   The WRs aren’t going to be open downfield when it’s 3 on 8.  When that happens Card has to either run or check down - on time and decisively in both cases - and he didn’t.  And sometimes he was pressured before he could do anything regardless. Thompson did run and hit the check down when they dropped 8, and we scored on two drives.

We do need someone bigger who can go up and make a play on the ball downfield - not someone big and slow like Malcolm Epps, but someone explosive like Quentin Johnston (thanks for blowing that one, Herman).

You have to hit the check down when they play like that. Those are essentially free 3-4 yards a pop and forces the defenses to play those. 

10 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Needs:

LB and Jack … still.  After taking 4 transfers this year, we are playing Luke Brockermeyer and Jett Bush.  Maybe next year someone needs to have veto power over Pete K’s and Choate’s portal offers so we actually address the issue instead of burning another half dozen scholarships on guys who will sit behind walk ons.  

WR - I guess, but they were actually open if our QB and OL could execute better.  I still don’t think our starters are really that bad here.  I’d rather sign Evan Stewart, Jordan Hudson and Brenen Thompson, but we will need the portal if we don’t close on our elite high school targets this year.  

QB -  If someone good becomes available, I would not pass them up to avoid hurting Card’s feelings.

Mostly agree with you on WR. Worthy is true Frosh who will only get better as well.

Don't think we need a QB unless someone portals out. Card still has a very promising future, he just showed his inexperience and got flustered this weekend.

Obviously agree on OL and LB/Jack

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

He didn’t get the ball out on time when they were open, and there were plenty of plays when they weren’t open because Arkansas dropped 8 into coverage.   The WRs aren’t going to be open downfield when it’s 3 on 8.  When that happens Card has to either run or check down - on time and decisively in both cases - and he didn’t.  And sometimes he was pressured before he could do anything regardless. Thompson did run and hit the check down when they dropped 8, and we scored on two drives.

We do need someone bigger who can go up and make a play on the ball downfield - not someone big and slow like Malcolm Epps, but someone explosive like Quentin Johnston (thanks for blowing that one, Herman).

Yeah, Card played scared the whole game even before he wa s getting hit, and he scrambled outside the pocket way too often against 3 man rushed when he had plenty of time. Casey was so much more confident and decisive. That was the biggest difference and why Casey needs to start moving forward. 

it would certainly be nice to have Quentin Johnston, but Worthy easily could’ve had 100+ yards on 3-4 catches if Card could get the deep ball anywhere near him. 

44 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

I watched the game where guys were running free and he couldn’t cut it loose or saw it late. His eyes dropped to the rush a lot.

Yep. He played scared from the first snap. That environment was too big for him, which is another reason why I always thought Casey should start the season. Between that factor and the Casey transfer risks, I figured Card must have been so much better than Casey in practice to start game 1, but I have a very hard ti believing that at this point. Either way, Casey keeps showing he can get it done in games. You have to start him moving forward or you’ll lose him and the locker room. 

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

Troy Omeire might be that guy. Emphasis on “might.”

20 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah, Card played scared the whole game even before he wa s getting hit, and he scrambled outside the pocket way too often against 3 man rushed when he had plenty of time. Casey was so much more confident and decisive. That was the biggest difference and why Casey needs to start moving forward. 

Bingo.

On 9/13/2021 at 9:57 AM, Burt Macklin said:

It's not even close. And when Casey DOES scramble, it's a decisive move. He just sees the field much better than Card right now.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/13/2021 at 9:57 AM, Burt Macklin said:

it would certainly be nice to have Quentin Johnston, but Worthy easily could’ve had 100+ yards on 3-4 catches if Card could get the deep ball anywhere near him. 

Yep. He played scared from the first snap. That environment was too big for him, which is another reason why I always thought Casey should start the season. Between that factor and the Casey transfer risks, I figured Card must have been so much better than Casey in practice to start game 1, but I have a very hard ti believing that at this point. Either way, Casey keeps showing he can get it done in games. You have to start him moving forward or you’ll lose him and the locker room. 

It's not possible to simulate big game environments with a hostile opponent, on the road, in practice.  Casey has maturity and composure, stuff that doesn't show up as well in practice.  Card's just not there yet.

Kinda like going from the driving range to the golf course. I hit it so well on the range...what the fuck happened?

On 9/12/2021 at 10:48 PM, longhornmatt said:

Needs:

I would hope by next season our younger guys can step up at the LB position at least.

2 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

I read that Day is sticking with stroud even though he has an injury to his shoulder. Let’s start whispering in Kyle McCord’s ear. @WhatTheBuck you’re a team player, let’s get this done. Lol

It looks like McCord is going to start against Akron. Day said Stroud will only be available in an emergency this weekend.

5 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Don't you think Stroud would hit the portal if this transpired? How does this development lead to Ewers entering the portal? Apologies if I missed the sarcasm and the opportunity to trigger @UncleBuck.

I mean we can twist it any way we want. Who is next up to take snaps if McCord falters? Ewers? Does Ewers want that or not want that? What was he told during his recruitment? If McCord is great, will Quinn get a shot to win the job next year?

2 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

I mean we can twist it any way we want. Who is next up to take snaps if McCord falters? Ewers? Does Ewers want that or not want that? What was he told during his recruitment? If McCord is great, will Quinn get a shot to win the job next year?

The good news is that I'm sure we can find a better looking truck than what those Ohio fucks gave him to drive around.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ricky Butler said:

Uh. This guy --> https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/roster/jack-miller/

IIRC, Quinn has been #4 in the order of succession (Stroud, McCord, Miller, and then Ewers) since he stepped foot on campus.

• Hook 'Em 1

I am sincerely sad that Ewers' transition into CFB has been so hard. I was so hoping that he would suddenly love dirty snow, fat chicks, and the smell of smoldering couches. I sure hope everything works out for him up there in that foreign land he voluntarily chose to live in. Good fucking luck, mullet boy.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Yah, I seend 'em.

Just so you know, if I ever get the balls to do an open mic comedy thing, that shit naming line is gunna be the first thing I say. So, thanks.

I feel like the real Geoff Ketchum would have no choice but to sue you for theft. The same way he threatened to sue twitter for that fucking handle. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Haha 2

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)