2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

12 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

I'm confused to if this kid was originally from Wisconsin (Middleton) or Arizona (Scottsdale). If he has any ties to Arizona, then have Bijan open and close the recruitment!

Bio on ourlads says played played first three years of HS in Arizona (Saguero HS) and then moved to Wisconsin.

43 minutes ago, TriStone said:

An OL from Wisconsin?  Yes motherfucking please!

supposedly he got passed up by a 2 year younger player and never lived up to his potential.  do we take him still? i guess better to take a chance and add some bodies to compete than what we have now.

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, westexhorn said:

supposedly he got passed up by a 2 year younger player and never lived up to his potential.  do we take him still? i guess better to take a chance and add some bodies to compete than what we have now.

I prefer we use those transfers on OL that have more eligibility than just a 1 year rental unless the rental is bonified. 

32 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I prefer we use those transfers on OL that have more eligibility than just a 1 year rental unless the rental is bonified. 

a 1 year rental for a guy who has been in Wisconsin's OL program for 4 years seems like a good idea to me. He could be a swing interior lineman if he doesn't win a job outright. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Vertigo said:

a 1 year rental for a guy who has been in Wisconsin's OL program for 4 years seems like a good idea to me. He could be a swing interior lineman if he doesn't win a job outright. 

Dude has bounced around to both sides of the ball, was injured last year....I don't think he's worth the spot. If he was a legitimate starter wanting to transfer then yes.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Dude has bounced around to both sides of the ball, was injured last year....I don't think he's worth the spot. If he was a legitimate starter wanting to transfer then yes.

How many 'legitimate starters' do you think are in the portal? You have to take a risk on potential and be able to develop that potential. The obvious hope is a transfer player will develop and contribute much faster than a high school recruit. The OL is in such bad shape that the Wisconsin kid is a must at this point.

12 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

How many 'legitimate starters' do you think are in the portal? You have to take a risk on potential and be able to develop that potential. The obvious hope is a transfer player will develop and contribute much faster than a high school recruit. The OL is in such bad shape that the Wisconsin kid is a must at this point.

He's far from "a must at this point". 

Entering the portal in October is like firing your coach in October. The only reason you do it is to either to extricate yourself from an untenable situation, or to get out in front of everybody else cause you don't want to be left without a date to the prom.

If the Wisconsin dude is in the portal now, it's probably because he sucks and is hoping he can get picked up before other more legitimate options enter the portal. There's months til the end of season, and there are only 32 roster spots to fill. 

15 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

He's far from "a must at this point". 

Entering the portal in October is like firing your coach in October. The only reason you do it is to either to extricate yourself from an untenable situation, or to get out in front of everybody else cause you don't want to be left without a date to the prom.

If the Wisconsin dude is in the portal now, it's probably because he sucks and is hoping he can get picked up before other more legitimate options enter the portal. There's months til the end of season, and there are only 32 roster spots to fill. 

Panic takes usually work out, that is what my stock trading has taught me. 

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

Surely he's better than Tope.

Tope has 1 thing going for him that the Wisconsin version of Larry Allen doesn't. He's on the 2021 roster. Unless Kayden can rectify that, there's no need to run out and tie yourself to Wisconsin's backup center, until you can see what else is out there. 

2 hours ago, SarkAfterDark said:

This kid is not a take and its ridiculous for anyone to think he is. There is no point in reaching for guys that won’t make an immediate impact. 

OU got good run from Robert Congel this year.
He's a guy who (I think)
initially walked on at A&M, and then played some there
then transferred to a terrible Arizona team, played a lot there
then portaled OU and started 3 games at center.

Low ceiling, medium floor
Good take, one year rental

OU's also seems to be benefiting from taking Wanya Morris
Top 100 recruit from Tennessee
Portaled to OU this year and has played in most games until Kansas
High ceiling, low floor
Will be in the mix to start at OT for what should be a good OU OL next year.
Good take, 2-3 year player

38 minutes ago, quigley said:

OU got good run from Robert Congel this year.
He's a guy who (I think)
initially walked on at A&M, and then played some there
then transferred to a terrible Arizona team, played a lot there
then portaled OU and started 3 games at center.

Low ceiling, medium floor
Good take, one year rental

OU's also seems to be benefiting from taking Wanya Morris
Top 100 recruit from Tennessee
Portaled to OU this year and has played in most games until Kansas
High ceiling, low floor
Will be in the mix to start at OT for what should be a good OU OL next year.
Good take, 2-3 year player

What does any of that have to do with my post? I am not arguing against taking OL via the portal, I am arguing against adding another jag to our OL room. The Oregon OL would be a take if he wanted to come here. 

Edited by SarkAfterDark

1 hour ago, nycHorn said:

Roach

Spoiler

— As I reported over the weekend, I thought this offseason would be massive for the NCAA Transfer Portal and I expected Texas to be aggressive in addressing needs there. When asked about the subject of offensive linemen in the portal, my thought was that quality prospects at the position don't typically transfer. That changed today when Kingsley Suamataia entered his name into the portal. The former five-star from Orem (Utah) signed with Oregon last year, and the timing of his transfer is a big surprise. Suamataia was a target of Alabama with primary recruiters assigned as Jeff Banks and Kyle Flood at the time. I'd expect Texas to look into things and start some preliminary work on him. Offensive line is a major position of need, and Suamataia could be an instant impact in Austin. BYU might be a big favorite for the Utah native as well, but it appears that a potential solution to Kyle Flood's problems is now available.

— This could be an aberration, or I might have underestimated what would be available in the portal. While players like Suamataia don't usually appear there, we could see more and more due to the conditions of the last year and a half. Because of COVID and the way the 2021 class played out with no real visits, the thought from most is that we could be in for a wild offseason in the portal. For Steve Sarkisian and his staff, expect them to take advantage and add portal players to plug whatever holes they might need to plug.

31 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

What does any of that have to do with my post? I am not arguing against taking OL via the portal, I am arguing against adding another jag to our OL room. The Oregon OL would be a take if he wanted to come here. 

Was in reference to the dude from Wisconsin. I'm saying that the portal can be for high upside plays (Wanya Morris, Kingsley) and 1-year roster fillers (Congel, Wisconsin dude).

OU hasn't taken at jag who's got more than a year of eligibility left to date.

Edited by quigley
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, quigley said:

Was in reference to the dude from Wisconsin. I'm saying that the portal can be for high upside plays (Wanya Morris, Kingsley) and 1-year roster fillers (Congel, Wisconsin dude).

OU hasn't taken at jag who's got more than a year of eligibility left to date.

The Wisconsin kid is a jag, we don't need more jags in our OL room. 

• Like 1

If the Wisconsin kid can beat out any of the current OL starters (any of the 5 positions), he's a take. I suspect given his size that he might be an upgrade over Majors at C.

Now with the kid from Oregon (who is originally from Utah) who entered the portal today, this ridiculous view of players who enter the portal during the season sucking can be put to bed. Players enter the portal at various times and for various reasons. A responsible and diligent coaching staff will do their homework and kick the tires on all legitimate recruits for areas of need. Given the current state of our OL (including current OL recruiting), an average player in the portal might very well end up being an upgrade. 

54 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

this ridiculous view of players who enter the portal during the season sucking can be put to bed. 

You missed the part where I said "either to extricate yourself from an untenable situation, or ...".  In this case, homesickness is allegedly the untenable situation. 

In the case of the Wisconsin kid -  he grew up in Wisconsin, played his senior year of HS football in Wisconsin, his father and brother played at the University of Wisconsin. He's not leaving due to extenuating circumstances. He's jumping in the portal now, cause he's a jag.

Edited by Hornlover

13 hours ago, Teryor said:

Roach

Reveal hidden contents

— As I reported over the weekend, I thought this offseason would be massive for the NCAA Transfer Portal and I expected Texas to be aggressive in addressing needs there. When asked about the subject of offensive linemen in the portal, my thought was that quality prospects at the position don't typically transfer. That changed today when Kingsley Suamataia entered his name into the portal. The former five-star from Orem (Utah) signed with Oregon last year, and the timing of his transfer is a big surprise. Suamataia was a target of Alabama with primary recruiters assigned as Jeff Banks and Kyle Flood at the time. I'd expect Texas to look into things and start some preliminary work on him. Offensive line is a major position of need, and Suamataia could be an instant impact in Austin. BYU might be a big favorite for the Utah native as well, but it appears that a potential solution to Kyle Flood's problems is now available.

— This could be an aberration, or I might have underestimated what would be available in the portal. While players like Suamataia don't usually appear there, we could see more and more due to the conditions of the last year and a half. Because of COVID and the way the 2021 class played out with no real visits, the thought from most is that we could be in for a wild offseason in the portal. For Steve Sarkisian and his staff, expect them to take advantage and add portal players to plug whatever holes they might need to plug.

Not sure how you overcome the homesick problem vs BYU if that really is his reason. Too bad bc this would be an awesome pickup.

1 minute ago, Tex-19 said:

Wonder who would take him at this point. Was already seen as a headcase and this would just confirm it. Jimbo probably wouldn't care I guess.

At this point, probably A&M, SMU, TTU, OU, LSU, Georgia, Clemson, USC...  just to name a few off the top of my head.

1 minute ago, Tex-19 said:

Even UGA cut him loose. That's saying a lot. He actually signed there originally..

Yeah, but they also welcomed Arik Gilbert with open arms.

I'd imagine the way he's looked so far at TCU is enough for many schools to overcome his other alleged issues.

2 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Bama WR Agiye Hall's Twitter activity is pretty interesting - a lot of Likes about leaving Bama, but the juicy part is multiple likes about Xavier Worthy and one about what he could do at UT

On the year 1 catch for 10 yards... which is infinitely better that Dumas's freshman season.😂

6 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Bama WR Agiye Hall's Twitter activity is pretty interesting - a lot of Likes about leaving Bama, but the juicy part is multiple likes about Xavier Worthy and one about what he could do at UT

Just took a look at his hudl, the kid can fly. 

giphy.gif

Edited by Vertigo
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

I know LSU is offering Evans a serious bag. I gave my TCU buddies a heads up and they basically laughed at me since it took a serious bag to get him there. Will be a fun text thread if he transfers out. 

Not to sound like a grumpy old man, but in my day, when you bought a recruit they would stay bought. The kids these days . . .

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 6

5 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

I know LSU is offering Evans a serious bag. I gave my TCU buddies a heads up and they basically laughed at me since it took a serious bag to get him there. Will be a fun text thread if he transfers out. 

This would mean the coach has already been secured right? Why pay a huge bag to Evans then send him to play for a Charlie Strong level hire

1 minute ago, Barbacoa said:

LOL. I wonder if this is what ultimately kills the bag game for high schoolers. Nothing stopping them from taking the bag and then jumping for another bag after a year or two.

It may take a few years, but with NIL I don't think there's any doubt that college football is about to have full-on free agency.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Sir Ulrich said:

This would mean the coach has already been secured right? Why pay a huge bag to Evans then send him to play for a Charlie Strong level hire

That was about a month ago. There's lots of places he could end up. Just saying, I think the word was out that he could be had. A&M wouldnt shock me for instance. 

31 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

This would be a big one..

This would be a big one...for my own personal amusement, absolutely.

15 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

This. 

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)