Your 2021 and now 2022 directors cup champions.

SDG

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Js1 said:

We did finish a spot ahead of Stanford 

It might hurt us in the end but I don't think it impacts us based on the Directors' Cup Updates projections. 

I think we were even projected to finish lower than 7th as his projections are based on rankings and we were ranked 8th or 9th going into the meet. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

4 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

It feels like this years Directors' Cup may come down to our tennis teams because both are kind of volatile. They could lose in the 2nd round or make deep runs to the national title match. 

Men's tennis has the talent to win it all, and anything short of final 4 would be a disappointment. Women's tennis is more like a sweet 16 or elite 8 team.

4 minutes ago, BevoBae said:

Men's tennis has the talent to win it all, and anything short of final 4 would be a disappointment. Women's tennis is more like a sweet 16 or elite 8 team.

I'm far from a tennis expert but I definitely think the women's team has a higher ceiling than that. 

Our last 3 losses have been by 1 point to top 4 teams and isn't that with a roster that's been battling injuries? Not sure about the team's health currently though. 

Texas men’s tennis team has a lot more depth right now than the womens team. If Zeynalova can get healthy, the womens team should be elite 8 caliber. For the men’s tennis team, they do have a roster to win it all, but they haven’t been consistent this year. 

On 3/31/2024 at 2:12 PM, perfectchaos007 said:

Texas men’s tennis team has a lot more depth right now than the womens team. If Zeynalova can get healthy, the womens team should be elite 8 caliber. For the men’s tennis team, they do have a roster to win it all, but they haven’t been consistent this year. 

So……TBD.

Baseball - Stanford is terrible.  Texas is at least a tournament team.  Advantage Texas
WTEN - Stanford 5, Texas 8.  Advantage Stanford/mostly a push. 
MTEN - Texas 5, Stanford 18.  Advantage Texas
Softball - Texas and Stanford are both in the top 8.  Likely a push unless one misses OKC and the other does not. 
Outdoor T&F Men - Texas is ranked 4, Stanford is not ranked.  Big advantage Texas
Outdoor T&F Women - Texas is ranked 7, Stanford is not ranked.  Big advantage Texas

I think Texas has the advantage if Stanford missing the NCAA baseball tournament and does not score any points/very few points in outdoor T&F.  Men's tennis is also in Texas' favor, while women's tennis and softball is a push. 

7 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

How about now that we beat Abilene Christian?

We are 50 in RPI and still have 3 more Big 12 series against top 30 RPI teams. Unless we go 0-9 in them, I think we are more likely than not to make the tournament. 

7 hours ago, Js1 said:

We are 50 in RPI and still have 3 more Big 12 series against top 30 RPI teams. Unless we go 0-9 in them, I think we are more likely than not to make the tournament. 

Up to 45 in RPI after last night. 

Predicted RPI has us finishing #33 in RPI which would definitely get us in. 

Texas finishes 5th in the final WBB coaches poll, which is good for 75 points. Stanford finishes 8th, good for 70.5 points. Actually don’t know how they finished 8th, they should have finished outside the top 8 for not making the elite 8. Oregon State got screwed finishing 11th 

7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Texas finishes 5th in the final WBB coaches poll, which is good for 75 points. Stanford finishes 8th, good for 70.5 points. Actually don’t know how they finished 8th, they should have finished outside the top 8 for not making the elite 8. Oregon State got screwed finishing 11th 

I thought points were based solely on how far they go in the tournament, not polls

Del Conte's first few hires have been insane. 

1) Schaefer WBB---3 elite 8s in 4 years and ranked #2 in next year's preseason poll. 

2) White Softball---Best finish in our history a couple years ago and #1 in RPI this season. 

3) Floreal T/F----Already a couple national titles.

4) Berque Tennis---National title as an interim coach and in the mix for another title this season. 

All these programs are in national title contention. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Del Conte's first few hires have been insane. 

1) Schaefer WBB---3 elite 8s in 4 years and ranked #2 in next year's preseason poll. 

2) White Softball---Best finish in our history a couple years ago and #1 in RPI this season. 

3) Floreal T/F----Already a couple national titles.

4) Berque Tennis---National title as an interim coach and in the mix for another title this season. 

All these programs are in national title contention. 

I think there was another hire that made the four-team national championship playoff in a pretty major sport.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

I think there was another hire that made the four-team national championship playoff in a pretty major sport.

Yeah, I was talking about initial hires and I'm also not sure Del Conte was really the person responsible for the Sark hire. 

I would say Del Conte's only questionable hire so far is RT but that was really weird circumstances. 

Beach volleyball (Metzger) and men's swimming/diving (Bowman) are undetermined but I'm pretty sure both were widely considered good hires. The problem in those two sports is beach volleyball is a new program so it may take a few years to produce results and it's going to be almost impossible to match what Reese did at Texas. 

14 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

14 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Yeah, I was talking about initial hires and I'm also not sure Del Conte was really the person responsible for the Sark hire. 

It always cracks me up when people want to credit Del Conte with the Sarkisian hire. Was he involved? Sure. Was he pulling the strings? No. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It always cracks me up when people want to credit Del Conte with the Sarkisian hire. Was he involved? Sure. Was he pulling the strings? No. 

Oh, I'm not trying to credit him.

But, he's the one who will get the public credit/blame.

8 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Oh, I'm not trying to credit him.

But, he's the one who will get the public credit/blame.

When in-person with someone and something brings up CDC and hiring Sarkisian, I just nod and act like, sure, there went CDC getting shit done again.