HVAC help needed

got quoted 22k to replace my AC system for XV20i Trane + TAM9 Air Handler
Someone HALP?

Want to know why?

•Steel - Spot price up 14% since May; up 100% since Dec
•Aluminum - Spot price up 2% since May; up 32% since Dec
•Copper - up 25% since Dec
•Airfreight – up 43% over prior year
Ocean rate up 2x to 3x higher than prior year driven by increased US imports, port congestion, and a lack of available container ships

I’d also be curious the lead time to install? I can’t get those units quickly.

8 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Want to know why?

•Steel - Spot price up 14% since May; up 100% since Dec
•Aluminum - Spot price up 2% since May; up 32% since Dec
•Copper - up 25% since Dec
•Airfreight – up 43% over prior year
Ocean rate up 2x to 3x higher than prior year driven by increased US imports, port congestion, and a lack of available container ships

I’d also be curious the lead time to install? I can’t get those units quickly.

10-14 weeks. The parts cost isn't the issue they can be had for far cheaper. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Unless a lot has changed, you’re wasting money with a 20 SEER.

Should I get the 18? The most important thing to me is doing the variable speed/compression I think that will make a huge difference for us since I like it cold (like 68, but my wife won't let me set below 72) 

If anyone has HVAC recommendations in Austin I'm all ears. 

11 minutes ago, immamac said:

Should I get the 18? The most important thing to me is doing the variable speed/compression I think that will make a huge difference for us since I like it cold (like 68, but my wife won't let me set below 72) 

If anyone has HVAC recommendations in Austin I'm all ears. 

You should be able to get variable speed with any SEER rating.  Variable compression is probably getting toward diminishing returns, and frankly mechanically frightens me.

I think mid-high teens SEER is the sweet spot unless you get a pretty serious rebate from some program.

• Like 1

I’d get something like a 16 SEER unless there’s a hell of a rebate or it makes it close to a wash. You just won’t save that much money over the life of the unit. At least, when I was messing with them you didn’t.

I’d be scared to death of a variable compression or whatever.

• Hook 'Em 1

I have a friend in the commercial HVAC world - he can get me a Daikin system with variable speed compressor for a really good price. Going to do that with their top of the line handler and thermostat. 

It will be less than half the cost installed and have the same SEER rating and a 12 year warranty with labor coverage.

On 7/14/2021 at 7:17 PM, TwiceHorn said:

You should be able to get variable speed with any SEER rating.  Variable compression is probably getting toward diminishing returns, and frankly mechanically frightens me.

I think mid-high teens SEER is the sweet spot unless you get a pretty serious rebate from some program.

I had a Bosch variable speed installed last summer.  It’s great so far and near silent outside, crazy efficient. 

On 7/12/2021 at 4:02 PM, gyroprotagonist said:

yes, treat the new one (and obviously the installed one) as if it has a charge.  for the 3 contact ones, just use an insulated screwdriver and connect the common (usually marked with a C) contact with 1 of the other contacts.  repeat for the other contact.  For a 2 contact just connect both to discharge.

you can't short out a capacitor in the sense you are talking about.

So after watching a YouTube video on how to do this, I went ahead and replaced one that went out on my home unit. It took MAYBE 10 minutes and was working again. What a fucking racket the AC guys are charging 100s for. 

The only issue is getting the part, you have to order on Amazon, I am going to order a extra one just to have on hand. Seriously anyone can do this repair and it is one of the most common issues. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

got quoted 22k to replace my AC system for XV20i Trane + TAM9 Air Handler
Someone HALP?

I have a licensed guy (close to 10 years experience) who has done work for Shagg²ers. Mostly a sole practitioner, low overhead.

Send me a PM if you want his info.

Tag me here if you do send a PM as notifications seem to get lost & I do most of my Shag² stuff via TapaTalk.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

I have a licensed guy (close to 10 years experience) who has done work for Shagg²ers. Mostly a sole practitioner, low overhead.

Send me a PM if you want his info.

Tag me here if you do send a PM as notifications seem to get lost & I do most of my Shag² stuff via TapaTalk.

Send me a PM. I have a friend who works for HTS. Got me a Daikin FIT 4T complete system with premium air purifier, air quality sensor and the latest and greatest thermostat that handles the 2 way communication for the variable speed compressor. 4700 taxed and shipped. I figured I could find someone to help me install it or install it for 3-4K labor and then parts. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

We have 2, 24 year old units that we’ve kept going but it is time to replace them with brand new everything, new ducts, new plenum, and an additional return for our room over the garage that is hot AF.

Carrier has had two price increases lately with another one coming 1/1/22. Is a 2-stage AC and a variable speed furnace worth $2k per unit? Both the performance and comfort units will be 16 SEER from what we have which are probably 10-12. I suppose we will live in the house for another 10+ years but who knows what may happen.

12 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

AustinVines messaged me & I gave him the contact info for José.

He better not take up too much of Jose's time. I have had difficulty finding someone to redo a facade and Jose said he could do it if I couldn't find anyone else.

On 11/26/2021 at 12:57 PM, Bevo said:

He better not take up too much of Jose's time. I have had difficulty finding someone to redo a facade and Jose said he could do it if I couldn't find anyone else.

I have other guys that can do that as well (depending on what type of work it actually is... we talking fascia here?  Stucco facade?)... of course my $$ is higher than his because he's the type of crew I sub out to.

7 minutes ago, ROFL BOX said:

I have other guys that can do that as well (depending on what type of work it actually is... we talking fascia here?  Stucco facade?)... of course my $$ is higher than his because he's the type of crew I sub out to.

Block construction of a very small building with stone over the block. It needs a small porch removed. And the front changed to something like below with just one window on each side instead of 2:

https://henryscheinequipmentcatalog.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Untitled-3.jpg