Tell Me About The Houston Oilers

ButtFumble

46 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

Lol motherfucker there’s something called the internet dipshit; you’re on it now. That’s where I get attendance numbers; it took all of 20 seconds.

Im not Superfan but I’m tired off hearing all of these credit card millionaires talk about what huge fans they were back in the day. From the point of view of a person who grew up in West Texas and started buying season tickets the day he moved to Houston, you motherfuckers are all full of shit about your fandom. You went to the games when they were good, you completely bailed when they weren’t. Cowboys fans had way more loyalty than you, and you want to pin it all on Bud fucking Adams…

so you're saying if Bud Adams didn't exist, the Oilers still would have left?

Of course we'll never know, but for all of the opportunities H-town has as a sports town, attendance ain't one of em.

Personally, I loved the Cowboys AND the Oilers and never gave a fuck about people who didn't like it.

47 minutes ago, slorch said:

Of course we'll never know, but for all of the opportunities H-town has as a sports town, attendance ain't one of em.

Personally, I loved the Cowboys AND the Oilers and never gave a fuck about people who didn't like it.

I didn't love the Cowboys but I didn't hate them either. I kinda liked 'em. If you tell a young Houstonian that now you might as well be professing loyalty to North Korea or some shit. It's nuts. 

47 minutes ago, slorch said:

If the City of Houston/Harris County had dug in with a different owner and insisted in 1995 that a stadium with no real luxury suites, with no parking or concession revenue (that was all controlled by Drayton shitbag McLane) was a good deal? Fuck yes, they would have left. Drayton and Bob Lanier were in lockstep about how the Dome was a great place for football and baseball; almost the day the Oilers signed their deal for Tennessee both of those fuckholes started squawking about what a shithole the Dome was and how if Houston didn’t get its shot together he was going to move to DC.

Don’t get me wrong, Bud Adams was a shithead. That’s doesn’t mean he was wrong about his stadium deal…

• Hook 'Em 1

Bud Adams bought the Oilers for $25,000, attempted to extort the county, before shipping the team to Tennessee. A few years later, the County happily funded a new stadium for a different team.

He died in 2013 and is buried in Forest Park Westheimer Cemetery. Caretakers there complain that so many people have pissed on his grave that they’re having a tough time keeping it dry enough for people to dance on it.
These were given to me by a friend... actually more of an acquaintance... I don't know remember where these came from. 81a52e97ca1ab987b5344f4b2b7e1e15.jpg62ea112edf7d7bfef8d04b1b11696015.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Most of y’all here are good fans. But when a team leaves town it says more about the fans and city than the owner.

Imagine the cowboys or giants moving. No way. Real fans there.

Right like the Oakland Raiders or the St. Louis Rams fans. Fairweather fans they are.

Edited by UDontKnow
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

Cowboys moved to Arlington

yea from Irving  😁

15 hours ago, tchookem said:
15 hours ago, UDontKnow said:
Right like the Oakland Raiders or the St. Louis Rams fans. Fairweather fans they are.

Yeah, those Browns fans never showed up.

The Browns fans showed up to try and stop the team from leaving like 30,000 strong

The Oilers fans showed up about a dozen strong to help bud GTFO town

image.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, markstanco said:

Most of y’all here are good fans. But when a team leaves town it says more about the fans and city than the owner.

I guess they weren't real fans when Lamar Hunt relocated to Kansas City.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Bud knew what he was doing -- his crypt is about ten feet from the caretaker's cottage at Forest Park...Like the tattletale who had his desk right by the teacher's in school. Pissing / shitting on his grave would not be easy both because you might get caught in the act and then escape would be difficult. 

I defend him now, but only because I can see now in retrospect he was right, and the McNairs are so much worse. So yeah, I get wanting to piss on his grave...Just telling you it requires some commando logistics. 

Catheterization anyone?

11 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

The Browns got to keep their laundry. Not the same. 

The city of Cleveland and a large chunk of their season ticket holders threatened a class action lawsuit that resulted in (a) the city getting to keep the name, uniforms, records, etc, with the city - the Ravens were/are officially considered by the NFL to be an expansion franchise (b) a guarantee that the NFL would grant them a team by the 1999 season…

they had the greatest uniforms in the NFL and one of the worst owners.  I was a season ticket holder after college and going to games were great - except the fucking ingress and egress into the Dome because Bud fucking Adams and the Oilers would not allow tailgating.  So everyone tried to time their arrival in time for kickoff.  Which meant half the stadium never saw kickoff because of the huge traffic fuck up.  Same way for after the game.  I'm not a McNair fan at all, but they have created an A+ tailgate environment.  Getting in an out of a Texas game is a breeze because of that.

Plus the team had Bum and Earl fricking Campbell, and a cast of characters - Dante, Mauck, Stabler, etc.  Dante threw Dale Robertson (Houston Post sportswriter) out of the team locker room at fall camp - literally threw him through the door - great stuff. 

spacer.png

Saw The Snake down at least ten drinks at the Bennigans at Baybrook Mall the might before a game one-time. Just sat there by himself and got blasted.  He lived in Nassau Bay on the water at the time. He also owned his own bar later near Almeda Mall - The Diamondback Saloon.

Went to an impromptu party in some field one night with thousands of Oilers fans after a road victory.  To this day I have no idea where it was.  A radio station hosted it.  Just grabbed a girl and we drove down some dirt road and until we found it and started partying.

Danced on the tables of Sam's Place the night they beat the Steelers in the wildcard game with Matthews and John Schumacher.  Also went to The Men's Club with Shumacher and Gregg Bingham one night.  Bingham had on shorts so they would not let him in, so he went out to his car and found a pair of sweats in the trunk.  This was after we all attended the Bill Williams Capon Dinner (another great event in Houston that is no longer around).

Edited by MAROON
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

You do know that Bud Adams and the Oilers didn’t control anything related to parking (and therefore tailgating) at the Dome right? You know that since its inception, that was owned by the HSA, which was owned by the owner of the Astros, right?

Of course you do, you’re a knowledgeable Houston pro football fan.

Bud Adams had zero authority over the parking lot of where his football team played. This was the case from the day the Oilers moved to the Dome.

But I’m sure you know that. CSB yo…

Edited by Ignatius

I loathe Bud Adams and I feel anger towards anyone defending him. Fuck that guy. 

Stalin, Hitler, and Bud Adams are in a room and you've got a gun with two bullets. What do you do? 

Shoot Bud Adams twice.

The only thing I regret is that Tennessee didn't win a Super Bowl the day after he died. Fuck that guy.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 7/3/2021 at 5:32 PM, Ignatius said:

Fans gave up on the Oilers a full season before negotiations with Nashville began, basically as soon as the game against KC ended. People complained about Adams breaking up the team, but 1994 was the first year of the cap and the Oilers were going to be millions over. Keeping it intact wasn’t an option. Funny, the initial cap was like $34MM; Patrick Mahomes would kill that alone today.

Houston also bailed on the Luv Ya Blue Oilers after the playoff loss against Oakland and stayed away for 8 years. The Oilers won a playoff game in 1987 for the first time in years, and won their 1988 opener on the road. Their home opener the next week against Oakland drew 33K. Band-fucking-wagon…

Horse shit.  He did not have to dismantle the team like he did.  He gutted it.  He did not have to.  He could have kept Moon and let Carlson go.  And restructure other deals.  There was no reason.  The asshole told the team before the season if they did not make the Super Bowl he was going to blow it all up.

The Oilers almost always sold out home games since my granddad's company would buy out the last couple thousand shitty upper deck seats so the Oilers would not be blacked out.  Adams was such a tight asshole he wouldn't allow tailgating and did his best not to make it a good fan experience.

He blackmailed the City in 1987 for $70 million in renovations over a threat to move to Jacksonville.  In 1989 he claimed the Astrodome was the best stadium in the country.  It wasn't until the Rams moved to St. Louis and saw the deal they got that he started blackmailing the city again.

And the stadium he wanted to build -- it would have sucked.  It would have been a multipurpose Football/Basketball stadium. So think the Alamodome.  We were better off not doing Bud's plan as it would have been obsolete by now and we would have ended up spending a lot more than what was spent on NRG (which is a great venue).  And Bud, being the dickhead he was, didn't even bother to talk to Les Alexander about the proposal.

My family bled Oilers.  We had a Star-Columbia Suite on the 50 yard line, home team side as well as 8 seats on the Loge 50 yard line first row right in front of Bob Lanier (those were actually the best seats in the Dome for watching the game)..  We were at basically every game during the Moon era. My granddad knew all the principals, was heavily involved through his chairmanship of the Greater Houston Partnership, and damn near all of the fault lies with that asshole Bud Adams.

It makes me sick because I don't give a damn about the Texans.  I loved the Oilers.  The 1993 team should have gone to the Super Bowl.  Defense, after about 3-4 games, was the most dominant in the league under Buddy Ryan.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

On 7/9/2021 at 5:02 PM, Ignatius said:

You do know that Bud Adams and the Oilers didn’t control anything related to parking (and therefore tailgating) at the Dome right? You know that since its inception, that was owned by the HSA, which was owned by the owner of the Astros, right?

Of course you do, you’re a knowledgeable Houston pro football fan.

Bud Adams had zero authority over the parking lot of where his football team played. This was the case from the day the Oilers moved to the Dome.

But I’m sure you know that. CSB yo…

Bud was the one who did not want tailgating as he thought it would hurt his concession sales.

On 7/3/2021 at 4:24 PM, Ignatius said:

Lol motherfucker there’s something called the internet dipshit; you’re on it now. That’s where I get attendance numbers; it took all of 20 seconds.

Im not Superfan but I’m tired off hearing all of these credit card millionaires talk about what huge fans they were back in the day. From the point of view of a person who grew up in West Texas and started buying season tickets the day he moved to Houston, you motherfuckers are all full of shit about your fandom. You went to the games when they were good, you completely bailed when they weren’t. Cowboys fans had way more loyalty than you, and you want to pin it all on Bud fucking Adams…

Sounds like you missed all the fun.

On 7/3/2021 at 7:01 PM, MaybeACoordinator said:

Bud knew what he was doing -- his crypt is about ten feet from the caretaker's cottage at Forest Park...Like the tattletale who had his desk right by the teacher's in school. Pissing / shitting on his grave would not be easy both because you might get caught in the act and then escape would be difficult. 

I defend him now, but only because I can see now in retrospect he was right, and the McNairs are so much worse. So yeah, I get wanting to piss on his grave...Just telling you it requires some commando logistics. 

Two words.  Pee balloons. 

On 7/9/2021 at 9:08 PM, Reese Bennett said:

I loathe Bud Adams and I feel anger towards anyone defending him. Fuck that guy. 

Stalin, Hitler, and Bud Adams are in a room and you've got a gun with two bullets. What do you do? 

Shoot Bud Adams twice.

The only thing I regret is that Tennessee didn't win a Super Bowl the day after he died. Fuck that guy.

Replace "Bud Adams " with "Art Modell" and you've nailed the sentiments of all of Ohio outside of Hamilton County and Browns fans worldwide. And I'd shoot Modell thrice.

On 7/3/2021 at 10:44 PM, markstanco said:

Yeah. It says that the city will not take its tax dollars and use it to subsidize a billion dollar industry. The cities who bend to those teams are suckers.

On 7/3/2021 at 8:07 PM, Ignatius said:

If the City of Houston/Harris County had dug in with a different owner and insisted in 1995 that a stadium with no real luxury suites, with no parking or concession revenue (that was all controlled by Drayton shitbag McLane) was a good deal? Fuck yes, they would have left. Drayton and Bob Lanier were in lockstep about how the Dome was a great place for football and baseball; almost the day the Oilers signed their deal for Tennessee both of those fuckholes started squawking about what a shithole the Dome was and how if Houston didn’t get its shot together he was going to move to DC.

Don’t get me wrong, Bud Adams was a shithead. That’s doesn’t mean he was wrong about his stadium deal…

The Astrodome was a shithole, but it was our shithole and I loved it. Kind of like the Cotton Bowl.

• Hook 'Em 4

I think there are plenty of fuck yous to go around around for Lanier, Bud and Unca Dray. And fuck it, the Rodeo too. I don't know how they fuck up Houston football but somehow they must, because the Oilers / Texans are the only two franchises with such an unbroken streak of suckiness, and they just happen to be the only franchises who are not the top dogs in their stadium. Correlation, causation, blah blah blah, but since I don't like the Rodeo I am going to go ahead and blame them. It sucks that this stupid relic of a past that never even existed in Houston is our signature yearly get-down party time...There is absolutely nothing remotely cool about it. And somehow it ruins pro football here, I just know it. 

15 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I think there are plenty of fuck yous to go around around for Lanier, Bud and Unca Dray. And fuck it, the Rodeo too. I don't know how they fuck up Houston football but somehow they must, because the Oilers / Texans are the only two franchises with such an unbroken streak of suckiness, and they just happen to be the only franchises who are not the top dogs in their stadium. Correlation, causation, blah blah blah, but since I don't like the Rodeo I am going to go ahead and blame them. It sucks that this stupid relic of a past that never even existed in Houston is our signature yearly get-down party time...There is absolutely nothing remotely cool about it. And somehow it ruins pro football here, I just know it. 

It's about political power and the rodeo has it in spades. No one in their right mind would cross the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo.

18 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

It's about political power and the rodeo has it in spades. No one in their right mind would cross the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo.

I believe it is the source of all big-time corruption in Harris County. The whole deal is a vast cover-up for the road builders and developers. Fuck the rodeo seven ways from Sunday and 52 positions in a one night stand. 

My best friend in elementary school was an only child and his parents had four season tickets in the south end zone.  Second row.  Great seats.  I got the nod to join probably 50% of the time from 1988 - 1994 or thereabouts.  Lots of fun and watched some great teams.  That same friend's dad had grown up with Bo Orlando's family in Pennsylvania.  Bo and his family would come over to their house for parties, cookouts, etc.  GREAT dude and was always friendly, throwing the ball in the yard with us and whatnot.  

In 94, my dad's company had a pretty sweet deal with the Oilers that included, among other things, tickets to an away game.  He had a big client lined up to take on that trip that cancelled the Friday afternoon before the game.  Not able to find a replacement client on short notice, he took me.  Freaking awesome trip.  Flew on the team charter plane.  Rode on the team bus.  Stayed at the team hotel.  We saw Bo at the hotel.  He recognized me and my dad, so we ended up going to dinner with all the defensive backs the night before the game.  Good dudes, but you could tell they were checked out.  This was mid way through the season, and I think they had only won one game to that point.  After dinner, most of them went out on the town.  The Oilers lost to a bad Raiders team at the Coliseum the next day.  

That 94 team was dog shit.  And, they didn't care.  Totally mailed it in all season.  It was the beginning of the end of my favorite team.  I still can't root for the Texans.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I went early to a game when I was around 10 years old and walked down to the corner over the field where the running backs were warming up and playing catch. Earl had his back to me and missed a pass (no surprise) and it bounced up to me in the first row. When he turned and saw me holding the ball he turned back casually and picked up another one and resumed his warm up.

I played with that fucking ball on the golf course until it came apart at the seams.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I believe it is the source of all big-time corruption in Harris County. The whole deal is a vast cover-up for the road builders and developers. Fuck the rodeo seven ways from Sunday and 52 positions in a one night stand. 

The men who ran HLSR for decades, men like Louis Pearce and Tommie Vaughn, were about as fine of human beings as you would ever know.

Even if you take the whole tailgating and relocation thing off the table entirely Bud Adams was a deplorable human being.

I remember walking out of the Astrodome and past Lamar Hunt after the 1993 debacle against Montana and I knew my favorite team was dead.  It was one of the worst feelings I've ever had.  Thank god the Rockets won the next two NBA Championships.

Unfortunately I can't embed the next two...

Earl Campbell: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS4jMv-VuoM

Warren Moon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpIP-YQvvwg

• Haha 1