ESPN Has NBA Coverage Issues

Patrick Bateman

2 hours ago, Brothahorn said:
5 hours ago, Kermit said:
He also had some pretty offensive comments about a certain Japanese baseball player.

He apologized, kissed ass and vowed to accuse others of racism daily.

When does Stephen A Smith accuse others of racism? If you've followed his history he's much more in line with your frame of thinking politically than what you're suggesting.  It's a lazy take like when people used accuse Jason Whitlock of the same thing back in the day without even reading anything he ever wrote.  

21 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

When does Stephen A Smith accuse others of racism? If you've followed his history he's much more in line with your frame of thinking politically than what you're suggesting.  It's a lazy take like when people used accuse Jason Whitlock of the same thing back in the day without even reading anything he ever wrote.  

Lazy is not looking both ways before trying to cross the street, champ.

Because Brady didn't go to the Obama Whitehouse.

“Why do I feel like if George W. Bush or Bill Clinton or somebody was president, why do I feel like Tom Brady would have been there then? Is it just me? Is it just me? I haven’t heard anybody but me mention it either. I haven’t heard anybody but yours truly mention this.”

Because he didn't like the way Chip Kelly ran the team.

“Chip Kelly makes decisions over the last couple of years that, dare I say, leave a few brothers feeling uncomfortable,” Smith said. “I think that’s fair to say. I mean, we’re sitting here looking at some of the decisions that Chip Kelly makes and I’m like what is up? What’s up with that? I mean, it’s like you’ve got to be his kind of guy, you know? And I’m like, well, Riley Cooper’s your kind of guy?”

MLB

If this were the NBA, or it (MLB) had the same populace as the NBA or the same black populace as the the NFL, you tryin’ to tell me we’re supposed to sit here and believe that no player would have been punished, that all players would have been granted immunity? This is the problem. This is the year 2020, and we still see the disparity, the discrepancy that exists. If I’m a … if you’re a black person out there, because I’m a black man, and obviously I speak to a lot of black people, I’m here to tell you somethin’ right now: we feel that this is BS. We feel if this was a multitude, if the league was a majority black league, there’s no way in hell that black players would have been granted immunity.

NETS

Smith, who said he "love[s]" Nash, complained that black former players don't get the kind of opportunity that Nash is getting by joining a Nets team that — if healthy — could compete for a championship next season.

There's more if you care to look. Don't co-sign bullshit, just because. You'll end up covered in bullshit.

SAS is nothing more than a modern Mantan Moreland. He just uses his mouth instead of his eyes.

And I wouldn't insult Whitlock by putting him in the same class as SAS. Whitlock is still a real journalist(at times).

Edited by Brothahorn

11 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Jason Whitlock is the absolute worst. 

He's A1 garbage, but that didn't stop people from seeing a black man and immediately dismissing him with lazy takes pretending he's Al Sharpton despite the fact that even Clay Travis thinks he's too far gone to the right.  

On 7/8/2021 at 9:55 PM, Catdaddyhorn said:

To add to what you quoted from the same article:

"Ratings are only a fraction of the NBA's audience

Armchair TV ratings experts often cast aside the nuances of an inherently flawed metric that is increasingly under fire (i.e., the exclusion of regional network simulcasts, and Nielsen only began including out-of-home viewership — an expected double-digit numbers increase — in October, when sports bars were mired in a pandemic), they also ignore the fact that TV ratings account for a fraction of the NBA's media consumption. 

The NBA reaches a billion people in more than 215 countries across the world, and roughly three quarters of its viewers are outside the U.S., boosted by the popularity of Antetokounmpo, Embiid, Nikola Jokic, Luka Doncic, four of the top six vote-getters in the MVP race. Global viewers on League Pass for the playoffs are up 18% from last year and 24% from 2019, per the NBA. None of them are included in Nielsen ratings.

Neither is the majority of the NBA's 56 million Instagram followers, an audience that generated 6.55 billion views and counts about twice the following of the NFL, NHL and MLB combined. The league is approaching 9 billion lifetime views on YouTube — again, almost as many as the three other major American sports leagues combined. Nearly 70% of the NBA's social media followers are outside the U.S."

It's interesting that the NBA's ratings are such a hot topic among a certain group of people.  It's almost as though they have a vested interest in NBA ratings going in a certain direction.  

This is great info but I live in America. You might as well talk up EPL ratings from Scotland. 

On 7/9/2021 at 7:31 AM, PittsburghTiger said:

I think the numbers would be better but, I think one thing the Covid pandemic showed people is that there is a lot out there that matters, much more than watching TV sports. No CloakRoom here but I also think that there are a lot of people who may not be as vocal as the Bron is a Commie Crowd but, they just don't care as much as they used to when they grew up watching Magic, Bird, Kareem, Jordan, Duncan, etc.

And, younger people don't have the attention span to, on a consistent basis, watch 2+ hours of basketball a night.

This is such a stupid take. Jesus dude. 

Sorry if I'm gravedigging. Hadn't kept up with this thread over the summer.

6 hours ago, ztejas said:

This is such a stupid take. Jesus dude. 

Sorry if I'm gravedigging. Hadn't kept up with this thread over the summer.

Which part do you take issue with? People finding other things to do instead of watching sports? Or the age issue? The group of guys I ran with as a kid, we all played basketball and watched the NBA and NCAA religiously, none of us pay much attention to the NBA anymore and I am probably the only one in the group that pays much attention to college hoops. I don't think it is an outlandish statement to make to say that people find other things to do.

How many sporting events have you attended, from high school events up to professional, where you see a little kid with his parents at a game and he barely watches because he is on his phone playing games? I've seen a lot of that.

I found a story on MarketWatch from 2017 and it broke down a bit of the numbers. Baseball had just 7% of its audience in the 18-under group. The NFL had 9% of its viewers in the 18-under group. The NBA had 11% of its viewers in the 18-under group.

These are not the worst numbers for TV sports, tennis, golf, NASCAR and skating are way worse.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-sports-with-the-oldest-and-youngest-tv-audiences-2017-06-30

The biggest growth potential, however, comes from soccer. Major League Soccer’s average audience of 308,000 last year is small by just about any standard, but up nearly 20% from a decade earlier. Fox Sports 1’s MLS average of 188,000 is similarly tiny, but more than double what the former Fox Soccer drew during its last year of MLS broadcasts in 2011. Most tellingly, the 696,000 that the MLS drew to five Fox network-television broadcasts last year was the league’s highest viewership ever — on any channel. 

MLS viewers are an average of just 40 years old, and 15% are younger than 18. The only other leagues with that kind of following among kids are also soccer related: The English Premier League (43 on average, 10% under 18), international soccer like Fox and ESPN’s UEFA Champions League coverage (39 on average, 13% under 18) and Mexico’s Liga MX (39 on average, 17% under 18).

----------

This from 2020.

https://morningconsult.com/2020/09/28/gen-z-poll-sports-fandom/

The millennial generation’s coming-of-age coincided with massive growth in the North American sports industry. Between 2010 and 2018, the North American sports market grew more than 40 percent from $49.9 billion to $71.1 billion, according to PricewaterhouseCoopers, fueled primarily by skyrocketing media rights and sponsorship revenue.

With more access than ever to a wider range of competitions, the men and women born between 1981 and 1996 developed an insatiable appetite for live sports, lifting leagues, teams, networks and brands to unprecedented heights.

New research, however, indicates the next wave of consumers — Generation Z — is much less enthusiastic about sports. According to a Brookings Institution analysis of Census Bureau population estimates, those born between 1997 and 2012 accounted for 20.3 percent of the U.S. population as of July 2019.

Gen Z’s relative disinterest in sports is reflected in its viewing habits: While 42 percent of all adults, and 50 percent of millennials, said they watch live sports at least once a week, only 1 in 4 individuals ages 13-23 said the same. In addition, Gen Zers were twice as likely as millennials to say they “never” watch live sports.

Edited by PittsburghTiger

13 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

He's A1 garbage, but that didn't stop people from seeing a black man and immediately dismissing him with lazy takes pretending he's Al Sharpton despite the fact that even Clay Travis thinks he's too far gone to the right.  

Whitlock and Travis were such a perfect partnership.  Both seem completely disingenuous but found their niche and make bank.

• Hook 'Em 1