Tokyo Olympics 2021

shadow_operative

31 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Allen, Wood and Drummond are better players than Javale.  Isn’t Mitchell Robinson basically Javale except not over the hill?  That’s an odd choice if they didn’t get turned down a bunch before having to settle.

Mitchell Robinson has been out most of the yr due to injury.   I doubt he nor the Knicks want his first minutes back at the Olympics.  Especially with him wanting to get paid soon.

15 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Isn't Javale like a 12th man?  Seriously when's the last time he was in a rotation?

Last year? He averaged 7 and 5 in 46 games. He didn't play a lot with Denver, though. He's still a passable big guy off the bench he just doesn't really fit with a lot of modern NBA lineups.

39 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Isn't Javale like a 12th man?  Seriously when's the last time he was in a rotation?

Last yr with LA.  He played 15 mins/gm in 46 gms this yr with CLE and DEN.   Not trying to clown but some of this shit is easy to look up.

Edited by d2o

1 minute ago, d2o said:

Last yr with LA.  He played 15 mins/gm in 46 gms this yr with CLE and DEN.   Not trying to clown but some of this shit is easy to look up.

23 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Last year? He averaged 7 and 5 in 46 games. He didn't play a lot with Denver, though. He's still a passable big guy off the bench he just doesn't really fit with a lot of modern NBA lineups.

1 minute ago, d2o said:

Ok, I guess I was trying to ask if this guy is really a viable option.  15 minutes a game in 46 games with Cle and Den?  I guess that qualifies as being in a rotation. 

Just now, closetohumping said:

Ok, I guess I was trying to ask if this guy is really a viable option.  15 minutes a game in 46 games with Cle and Den?  I guess that qualifies as being in a rotation. 

He's an active big who can blk shots, rebound and catch lobs.  He was prolly also geographically close to Vegas and his agent got to him fast.  Not anyone's first choice but they are WAAAAYYY past first choices at this point.  

1 minute ago, d2o said:

He's an active big who can blk shots, rebound and catch lobs.  He was prolly also geographically close to Vegas and his agent got to him fast.  Not anyone's first choice but they are WAAAAYYY past first choices at this point.  

Shit man.  I guess this is what we're down to.  How about a college guy? 

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

Shit man.  I guess this is what we're down to.  How about a college guy? 

I doubt any college guy (especially a big) would contribute as much as Javale will honestly.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Doesn't matter. We have 10 guys and we need 12. Javale is fine. He might play 10-12 mpg if that. 

Although it would be nice we aren't plucking a star off the list. These guys are all multimillionaires. They aren't just sitting around all day in game shape in the off-season waiting to play basketball. LeBron usually doesn't touch a basketball for weeks after the season ends. Guys like Durant that live and breathe basketball and would play for free are ironically kind of the exception.

Like I said - get a couple warm bodies and let's roll. We don't have time to go back to the drawing board. 

Our starting lineup is probably:

Lillard

Booker

KD

Dray

Bam

Tatum, Grant, Khris, Jrue, Lavine off the bench. Javale will get some run, too. 

We will still easily be the best team in Tokyo. I'm not penciling in gold but I'd take us over the field.

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Are the guys from Milwaukee and Phoenix even going to have a practice before the Olympics start if the Finals goes to game 7?   I’d be skeptical that they’re all actually going to show and would try to get some contingencies in place if someone decides to withdraw.   Having to go to Japan with no break at all and knowing you’re probably going to be end of the rotation since you haven’t been with the team might cause at least one of them to say fuck it.

It never really made sense that they would go.    Considering how they need playmaking and defense I can't see how Jrue wouldn't be playing big time immediately

13 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Are the guys from Milwaukee and Phoenix even going to have a practice before the Olympics start if the Finals goes to game 7?   I’d be skeptical that they’re all actually going to show and would try to get some contingencies in place if someone decides to withdraw.   Having to go to Japan with no break at all and knowing you’re probably going to be end of the rotation since you haven’t been with the team might cause at least one of them to say fuck it.

They’ll be in shape and it’s not that many games. Plus, they’ll get a chance to play hero for a team that is starving for anything positive. 

if i had just finished this long-ass, post-bubble, shortened-offseason campaign which either ended in a finals loss or a championship win, you couldn't pay me to immediately hop on a plane to Japan just go either win gold (oh wow, the most stacked team won) or to lose in embarrassing fashion. i'm on a beach somewhere with a drink in one hand and a beautiful woman's fat ass in the other, not in got damn Tokyo only further exhausting myself for these goofy-ass olympics. 

The guys impregnating strippers on the beach don't get to where Khris Middleton and Jrue Holiday are with the same talent level imo.

We'll see if they end up making the trip but they're definitely not entitled and coddled like most American stars. 

Lame that many American players got offended they weren't the first choice and got butthurt (Ja Morant).

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Loch Ness Monster said:

The guys impregnating strippers on the beach don't get to where Khris Middleton and Jrue Holiday are with the same talent level imo.

We'll see if they end up making the trip but they're definitely not entitled and coddled like most American stars. 

Lame that many American players got offended they weren't the first choice and got butthurt (Ja Morant).

Bam was left off last year and used that disappointment to become a fucking terror. Mistakes are made with roster selection all the time. When it’s your turn, don’t be a little bitch. Either politely say no, or play. Emoting on social media is a professional athletes worst friend. But these dudes are basically teenagers, so I guess it comes with the territory.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kermit said:

All three Finals players showed up to Tokyo. Respect. That’s badass. 

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

wow. good for them. and good for us. that's pretty selfless of them. 

Were y'all thinking they wouldn't? They're all healthy. That would be PR suicide. 

8 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Were y'all thinking they wouldn't? They're all healthy. That would be PR suicide. 

under normal circumstances, sure. but 2020 was the covid/bubble year, and then after having a shortened offseason we saw every star player in the league just fall apart physically. the playoffs are taxing, these guys are hurting, and i wouldn't blame them at all if they said they needed time to recover and be with their family. 

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

i wouldn't blame them at all if they said they needed time to recover and be with their family. 

If they said that last minute then I would have totally held it against them. That would be Bush league. If they had said they were opting out after making the Finals I would understand. But we were 4, 5 games into the Finals and the expectation was still that they were coming. At that point if you back out you are really fucking your country over. 

Just now, Hook1997 said:

These refs aren’t giving nba flop calls..  That diving save to a instant 3 was killer for France.  How are we losing to France in freaking basketball?

Because they’re pretty good. How is this a question people still ask? 

7 minutes ago, Kermit said:

Because they’re pretty good. How is this a question people still ask? 

Because pretty good shouldn’t beat the US in basketball?   They have lost how many games in the last Olympics 20 years?   That’s why.   

Edited by Hook1997
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Hook1997 said:

Because pretty good shouldn’t beat the US in basketball?   They have lost how many games in the last 20 years?   That’s why.   

In case you haven’t been paying attention, we’re just pretty good too.

Called it in the Olympics thread.

Have been watching FRA v USA.  This is going to be close.  What I've realized from watching a few Olympic basketball games now is the NBA is soft as hell.  The driving, flopping, foul seeking and so forth behavior is clearly not rewarded in international play.  Hopefully USA learns fast and plays accordingly, else that bronze medal may be in our future.

Edited by Esque
  • Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

I hear you but France was eight in power rankings of teams coming in, just above Japan….   Even this team shouldn’t of lost to them.

I agree we shouldn’t have lost, I’m just not surprised. Jrue has to start. Zach needs to go back to Chicago. KD needs to understand his importance to the team and stay the fuck out of foul trouble, even if that means giving up baskets, and Lillard needs to forget his horrible second half. If it wasn’t for a tired ass Jrue, this game would’ve been extremely ugly.

Edited by Kermit