Tokyo Olympics 2021

shadow_operative

Called it in the Olympics thread.
Have been watching FRA v USA.  This is going to be close.  What I've realized from watching a few Olympic basketball games now is the NBA is soft as hell.  The driving, flopping, foul seeking and so forth behavior is clearly not rewarded in international play.  Hopefully USA learns fast and plays accordingly, else that bronze medal may be in our future.

Our only shot is if Russ Tyler and his boys can get to Tokyo to teach them how to play like the real team USA.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/16/2021 at 1:57 PM, ztejas said:

Doesn't matter. We have 10 guys and we need 12. Javale is fine. He might play 10-12 mpg if that. 

Although it would be nice we aren't plucking a star off the list. These guys are all multimillionaires. They aren't just sitting around all day in game shape in the off-season waiting to play basketball. LeBron usually doesn't touch a basketball for weeks after the season ends. Guys like Durant that live and breathe basketball and would play for free are ironically kind of the exception.

Like I said - get a couple warm bodies and let's roll. We don't have time to go back to the drawing board. 

Our starting lineup is probably:

Lillard

Booker

KD

Dray

Bam

Tatum, Grant, Khris, Jrue, Lavine off the bench. Javale will get some run, too. 

We will still easily be the best team in Tokyo. I'm not penciling in gold but I'd take us over the field.

this aged well.  can we beat the czech republic to get out of the group round?

Fucking peacock premium app. Took me 15 minutes to get it figured out and buy the stupid sub that I'll use twice. But I was annoyed so I wasn't going to miss the game.

They were up like 8 points with 2.5 minutes left. It was a confluence of bad luck and dumbassery. Book could not look more out of sorts. Lost his man on what wasn't even a switch. Bricked wide open looks. Fournier with a couple of ridiculous shots off of scramble drills/loose balls. KD played good D on Rudy and forced a bad shot and France gets rewarded with a diving oob save to a wide open Fournier for 3. The aforementioned 3 missed wide open 3s on a single possession. Lillard being pushed down by the hand of god on an inbounds play and falling down. Missed FTs. Jrue was the best player on the floor for USA. That probably shouldn't happen. Also tough to play small ball 5s against a team like that. I guess JaVale isn't in shape yet?

This team should cruise in the next two group games. It's going to be a challenge to win gold but I still think they can do it. This one was a little flukey to me. But yes they need to find their offensive footing. 

18 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Worst thing about Pop is he's an asshole that talks down to anyone that dares to question him.

Bro, you just had Tim Duncan for two decades, get over yourself.

I don’t know.  Compared to any other legendary hoops coach - looking at K and Phil - I’ll take Pop every single day.  He’s less of an asshole than those guys and a better coach.

The world has caught up.  Need to have a set team and not adding/subtracting players every week.  

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I don’t know.  Compared to any other legendary hoops coach - looking at K and Phil - I’ll take Pop every single day.  He’s less of an asshole than those guys and a better coach.

The world has caught up.  Need to have a set team and not adding/subtracting players every week.  

no chance I take Pop over K and Phil.  Pop has plenty of hardware to put him in the top 10 coaches of all time and I appreciated the way he worked with lesser players but he got really lucky with the draft and Duncan/Robinson situation.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

There’s no way their minds were in the right place with the big SEC news.  

I heard all the talk from Durant pregame was how the pods might shake out and if aggy was gonna be a complete bitch and vote "no".

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

no chance I take Pop over K and Phil.  Pop has plenty of hardware to put him in the top 10 coaches of all time and I appreciated the way he worked with lesser players but he got really lucky with the draft and Duncan/Robinson situation.

Come on!  Phil?!  Had MJ/Pip then Kobe/Shaq!!

I’ll give you K.  He just annoys me.  

20 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

Came here to post this. Some of the blame has to fall on Pop. He needs to fucking hang it up

Pop at this stage in his career seems to be coasting - and maybe you’re right about him calling it.  That being said teamUSA missed a fuckton of wide open shots.  Embarrassing 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

We will still easily be the best team in Tokyo. 

I mean we are. On paper at least. I didn't mean "we will assuredly play the best basketball in Tokyo". I figured when I said I'm not penciling in gold I made that clear. 

Just now, ztejas said:

I mean we are. On paper at least. I didn't mean "we will assuredly play the best basketball in Tokyo". I figured when I said I'm not penciling in gold I made that clear. 

I don't think we are EASILY the best TEAM in tokyo, even on paper.

We may have the best collection of players, but those players make a shit team. Three of their guys just got in last night and two of those guys played major minutes. I get that Pop is going to get a lot of the blame, and deservedly so, but the players need to put in their big boys pants. And they need to lock Zach Levine in his room.

Edited by Kermit

8 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I don't think we are EASILY the best TEAM in tokyo, even on paper.

You are arguing with something I said with a new data point in your favor, so congrats. Apologies if I was trying to find some confidence in this roster - a roster which I have mainly derided since it was made public. 

And yes - they are still easily the best team on paper. If you let them play 30 games together they would spank everyone by 30 points. Unfortunately that isn't reality. They are likely still favorites to win gold. We'll see what happens - I knew it was possible for them to drop a game - as should everyone who watched them drop 2 straight in exhibition play. They may or may not drop another one. 

If I'm wrong about anything it will be that I thought Durant would be good enough to overcome the dumbassery of all of the chuckers we are running out at the guard and wing spots - but I'm not sure Durant is enough to do that. Especially when he's in foul trouble the entire game. 

Edited by ztejas

They blew a lead by jacking up 3's instead of going for easy buckets. The team is lacking any leadership as talented as Durant is he's not a leader like Lebron or Kobe or Wade or even Chris Paul, he's not gonna yell at guys to get in position and play better. There was way too much laughing on the sideline, they simply aren't taking this seriously. 2008 we were out for redemption and our rightful place on top and once again have gotten complacent.

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

You are arguing with something I said with a new data point in your favor, so congrats. Apologies if I was trying to find some confidence in this roster - a roster which I have mainly derided since it was made public. 

And yes - they are still easily the best team on paper. If you let them play 30 games together they would spank everyone by 30 points. Unfortunately that isn't reality. They are likely still favorites to win gold. We'll see what happens - I knew it was possible for them to drop a game - as should everyone who watched them drop 2 straight in exhibition play. They may or may not drop another one. 

If I'm wrong about anything it will be that I thought Durant would be good enough to overcome the dumbassery of all of the chuckers we are running out at the guard and wing spots - but I'm not sure Durant is enough to do that. Especially when he's in foul trouble the entire game. 

I was just commenting that your comment aged well.  after they lost the 2 exhibition games it was obvious we wouldn't easily be the best team in Tokyo.  could they still win it and prove they are the best team?  sure they could.   US sending Durant and Dame and a bunch of scrubs is not going to easily be the best team anymore.  25 years ago sure. Durant and Dame could win it with the UT Intramural champs then, not now.

21 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

They blew a lead by jacking up 3's instead of going for easy buckets. The team is lacking any leadership as talented as Durant is he's not a leader like Lebron or Kobe or Wade or even Chris Paul, he's not gonna yell at guys to get in position and play better. There was way too much laughing on the sideline, they simply aren't taking this seriously. 2008 we were out for redemption and our rightful place on top and once again have gotten complacent.

agreed.  should they take is seriously?

7 minutes ago, Drew said:

Little over a minute to go in the first quarter of Slovenia/Argentina and the score is Luka 17, Argentina 17.

Just unreal.

Edit: okay it’s 17-19 now.

What fucking channel is this on. God damn is trying to follow this shit live frustrating. 

11 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

Turns out nbc has a legal stream   https://stream.nbcolympics.com/basketball-mens-prelim-game-5

Luka and friends: 84

Argentina : 58

2:12 left in the 3rd.

The stream is only free for 30 minutes....Mine will cut out probably mid-4th qrt.  Screw these jack-wagons.

Edited by 0xdeadbeef

I love Luka's competitive streak. After getting mauled multiple times while driving to the basket, with no calls, he get the ball at half court, lets the defender get all up in his face and then puts a hard shoulder in the dudes chest and puts him on his ass.  When ref called the foul, he give the ref a thumbs up. 

He's got that fire that Jordan and Kobe had... and that KD, Harden, Steph and so many other great players just don't have.

• Like 2

Except idiots today call that “bitching and whining”. Luka isn’t some soft euro and he keeps proving that.

You’re absolutely right. He has the fire and competitive nature of MJ/Kobe. He don’t take no shit.

On 7/25/2021 at 9:04 AM, Dirk X West said:

Yeah, ithe equation is: France is pretty good and they sent their best possible team (or close) and we didn't send our best possible team. 

Not that you are doing it, but it sounds aggyish to make excuses. They kicked our ass. If we don't like it then we need to play better. If Lebron doesn't want to play that is his loss. Next man up.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Not that you are doing it, but it sounds aggyish to make excuses. They kicked our ass. If we don't like it then we need to play better. If Lebron doesn't want to play that is his loss. Next man up.

Dude LeBron is too busy hooping with the Tune squad!

If we don't win gold or even medal, is it really that big of a deal? What exactly do we have to prove? We know that we have the best players in the world and have proved it on multiple occasions. If we wanted/put our best out there this would be no competition. Other countries need that juice. We don't.

43 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

If we don't win gold or even medal, is it really that big of a deal? What exactly do we have to prove? We know that we have the best players in the world and have proved it on multiple occasions. If we wanted/put our best out there this would be no competition. Other countries need that juice. We don't.

Wow we aren’t even an SEC program yet and already running with “we didn’t want to be there so who cares if we lose” type excuses. 

We’ll fit right in! 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

I agree; we don't even have our 4th or 5th most optimal team configuration in Tokyo. Who cares. If we can't care enough to get a team out there that wants to win, why should we care if they win or lose?

6 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

Yes.

• Haha 2