Tokyo Olympics 2021

shadow_operative

4 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

KD plays in 24 and 28 if he wants to. No reason he shouldn’t get the 12th roster spot at 39 if he’s still playing. With what he did this year, and at FIBA in 2010 he should have a roster spot until he’s retired. 

KD just hit 50% on contested 3s in the NBA playoffs. The international line is 20 inches shorter. As long as he can shoot, he can play.

31 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

I have been very critical of Popovich as Olympic Head Coach, but even I know better than to criticize after the man just coached the team to the gold medal. Come on Kendrick, stop it!

Coward deleted it...... Internet is written in pen, Perk.  You're one of the primary reason, OKC never won a ship, you gimp.

19 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I would bet KD is still the best American player in 2024.   That won’t be some kind of ceremonial / charity roster spot if he plays again.  We will need him.  What a beastly performance.

They need to get some big men ready for 2024.   This was a weirdly vulnerable team inside and on the glass.  A team should not be able to nearly beat Team USA in the gold medal game because Rudy Gobert was their focal point on offense and we had no answer.

https://www.ranker.com/list/best-current-nba-centers/ranker-nba

Ignore the rankings. See the list of American centers. And then see how many are worth a damn.

Where does this put Durant medal wise for Longhorns? I doubt that many Horns have 3 or more gold medals. Maybe a handful. 

So Ian Crocker has 3 g, 1 s, 1 b

Brendan Hansen has 3 g, 1 s, 2 b

Sanya has 4 g, 1 b

Piersol one ups with 5 g, 2 s (this has to be the most)

Pretty cool company. I'm sure I'm forgetting some - especially from older games. 

Rick Carey has 3 g.

Feel free to add.

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

2021 San Antonio Spurs olympic medals: 2

2022 San Antonio Spurs olympic medals: 1

2021 Dallas Mavericks olympic medals: 0

You should get your licks in now. I’m neither Mavs nor spurs so I’m neutral. Being a spurs fan the last 35 or so years must be incredible. 
the Mavs are going to shit all over y’all for the next decade+ (if Luka stays/is healthy) 

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

You should get your licks in now. I’m neither Mavs nor spurs so I’m neutral. Being a spurs fan the last 35 or so years must be incredible. 
the Mavs are going to shit all over y’all for the next decade+ (if Luka stays/is healthy) 

I’m still waiting on him to actually win a playoff series.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yeah if they win 3 titles in an incredible next decade with Luka they'll just be 

Crunches numbers 

Still one title short.

5 minutes ago, Kermit said:

I’m still waiting on him to actually win a playoff series.

He’s what 22?  And the team around him is a 13 seed if you remove him from the roster?  
getting him is the hard part. Building around him can be screwed up, sure, but I think Cuban will eventually get it right. 
I mean- I’m a rockets guy (and a KD guy) so it’s not like I want it to happen that way, but all signs sure as shit point to that for them and I have no idea what the way back to relevancy for y’all is. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, ztejas said:

Yeah if they win 3 titles in an incredible next decade with Luka they'll just be 

Crunches numbers 

Still one title short.

Sure. But that sounds like a yankees fan talking about 27 rings when it’s 1 ring this century. 
it’s an incredible legacy y’all have. But it’s not relevant to the next 10 years. 

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I have no idea what the way back to relevancy for y’all is. 

A phenomenal culture, fanbase and ownership group and a head coach that will likely step away when it's appropriate. Also some of the best professional basketball history as a franchise in the world. 

Maybe we end up being the next Ajax of the NBA. I'll take it. 

Sure. But that sounds like a yankees fan talking about 27 rings when it’s 1 ring this century. 
it’s an incredible legacy y’all have. But it’s not relevant to the next 10 years. 

We have a more recent title than Dallas does. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

A phenomenal culture, fanbase and ownership group and a head coach that will likely step away when it's appropriate. Also some of the best professional basketball history as a franchise in the world. 

Maybe we end up being the next Ajax of the NBA. I'll take it. 

All that stuff hurts you in my mind. It keeps you picking in the 10-16 range. As a rockets fan that went through that for half a decade it isn’t fun. Not great at all Bob. 

All that stuff hurts you in my mind. It keeps you picking in the 10-16 range. As a rockets fan that went through that for half a decade it isn’t fun.

Bro stop. Houston never did and never will love the Rockets as much as San Antonians love the Spurs. We won't pick in the high lottery forever. But we have a much richer history than the Rockets.

Gervin was a monster and should have made a Finals. DRob won MVP in '94 or '95 and we were always winning 50 games and making the playoffs. We won our first title in '99 and our 5th in '14. And were still an elite contender up until '17. How many generations of memories is that? That shit is lasting. The only other teams that rival us in terms of being relevant in every era are the Celtics and Lakers. 

We have lasting tradition and bleed for our team. I'm not even from San Antonio. Don't compare us to the fkn Rockets, bro.

10 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Bro stop. Houston never did and never will love the Rockets as much as San Antonians love the Spurs. We won't pick in the high lottery forever. But we have a much richer history than the Rockets.

Gervin was a monster and should have made a Finals. DRob won MVP in '94 or '95 and we were always winning 50 games and making the playoffs. We won our first title in '99 and our 5th in '14. And were still an elite contender up until '17. How many generations of memories is that? That shit is lasting. The only other teams that rival us in terms of being relevant in every era are the Celtics and Lakers. 

We have lasting tradition and bleed for our team. I'm not even from San Antonio. Don't compare us to the fkn Rockets, bro.

As I said- it’s incredibly amazing to be a spurs fan for 35 years. All that is conceded. It’s not a shot at all. It’s the idea that it’s incredibly unlikely to lead to title contending relevance without the cornerstone piece, and it’s hard to get that not drafting in the top 3 or being a Miami, LA or NY FA destination.  
the spurs are the class organization of the NBA without a doubt. But you can’t turn chicken shit into chicken salad in the league without a top 5/10 guy and I don’t see their roadmap to getting one. 
Dallas fucking backed into that with stupidity from the Kings and hawks. 

5 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

As I said- it’s incredibly amazing to be a spurs fan for 35 years. All that is conceded. It’s not a shot at all. It’s the idea that it’s incredibly unlikely to lead to title contending relevance without the cornerstone piece, and it’s hard to get that not drafting in the top 3 or being a Miami, LA or NY FA destination.  
the spurs are the class organization of the NBA without a doubt. But you can’t turn chicken shit into chicken salad in the league without a top 5/10 guy and I don’t see their roadmap to getting one. 

So first more like 40-45 years, second, I think it's funny that that many years of repeated good luck is more likely than something underlying that carries the team.

It's not a weird phenomenon. Look at the Packers or Celtics or Cardinals. 

I mean seriously... we JUST missed the playoffs for the first time in 2 decades and now it's "yeah yall have no path back you're fucked". Like, alright dude. We'll see.

Edited by ztejas

14 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Dallas knew Luka would be great and wanted him for that reason. It may have taken some luck to get him, but that's hardly "backing into" it.

10 minutes ago, ztejas said:

So first more like 40-45 years, second, I think it's funny that that many years of repeated good luck is more likely than something underlying that carries the team.

It's not a weird phenomenon. Look at the Packers or Celtics or Cardinals. 

I mean seriously... we JUST missed the playoffs for the first time in 2 decades and now it's "yeah yall have no path back you're fucked". Like, alright dude. We'll see.

Maybe this is the misconception... when I’m talking relevance I’m not talking playoff contention. As a spurs fan you know what relevance is. It’s contending for titles. Y’all had that throughout the 90’s, 2000’s and much of the 2010’s. You haven’t had it since Leonard bitched out.  My bet is Dallas has it before y’all do. Whatever the stakes are is fine by me. 
let’s out a pin in this and celebrate KD’s greatness and mock Dame if the spirit moves. 

2 minutes ago, Dirk X West said:

Dallas knew Luka would be great and wanted him for that reason. It may have taken some luck to get him, but that's hardly "backing into" it.

Oh they identified him as great and that’s to their credit. But it wouldn’t have happened without colossal stupidity from the Kings and Hawks. One could argue the Kong’s and Hawks are always ready to be stupid I guess. 

Maybe this is the misconception... when I’m talking relevance I’m not talking playoff contention. As a spurs fan you know what relevance is. It’s contending for titles. Y’all had that throughout the 90’s, 2000’s and much of the 2010’s. You haven’t had it since Leonard bitched out.  My bet is Dallas has it before y’all do. Whatever the stakes are is fine by me. 
let’s out a pin in this and celebrate KD’s greatness and mock Dame if the spirit moves. 

That’s a safe bet when one team has Luka Doncic and the other has Luka Samanic. 

8 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Maybe I'll pick up the Spurs thread another time. I'm, uh... tired and other shit.

I've celebrated KD enough. For the past 15 years. He owes us a title with Brooklyn as far as I'm concerned. Gold medals are great. The Ws titles were great. But seriously... go stake your GOAT claim. There's a path to it now. 

That said - a dude who by age 29 was a top 20 player ever somehow later peaking at close to 33 post achilles tear is absolutely insane. He really may make people question if he was the GOAT when it's all said and done. What if he's even better at 34? He's a freak and bleeds for the game. 

Just... yeah, wow. We can celebrate him. But I want more. I'm a selfish stan. We can talk about your greatness but go keep backing it up or taking it up another level.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Which www basically my point and I thought stunningly obvious, but Z wanted that to be an affront so...  it wasn’t. 

Bro. Kermit is a borderline masochistic Spurs fan. I'm not much better at times. And I thought you were dropping the Spurs convo - not continuing to prod me on it. Also all of us Spurs fans* disagree on the Spurs thread all the time. 

I like you bro. I like the Texas Triangle rivalry. But don't try and get a rise out of me to create entertainment (which ironically is what is happening) - it gets annoying on the basketball board and I have multiple dicks on ignore because of it. 

Edited by ztejas

9 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

I would bet KD is still the best American player in 2024.   That won’t be some kind of ceremonial / charity roster spot if he plays again.  We will need him.  What a beastly performance.

They need to get some big men ready for 2024.   This was a weirdly vulnerable team inside and on the glass.  A team should not be able to nearly beat Team USA in the gold medal game because Rudy Gobert was their focal point on offense and we had no answer.

2024 is a long way away. Chet Holmgren got this. 

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

If getting Trae Young is stupidity, then sign me up for stupidity. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, hobbes2702 said:
2 hours ago, Irieguy said:

Kind of like saying banging a 9.5 is less awesome than banging a 10. Both are pretty awesome. 

Michael Jordan and Charles Barkley are both pretty awesome but I know which I’d rather have. 

Y'all  are weird.

• 2 weeks later...