Tokyo Olympics 2021

shadow_operative

4 minutes ago, Kermit said:

This one sucks as Grant has been one of the better defenders on the team.

Agreed. Just saw a tweet that Beal is out for the games. No word yet on Grant.

I would love to see Ja or LaMelo get a call. Actually I have not really watched those guys on the other end of the floor. I feel like the BB replacement needs to be a playmaker first, a defender second, and a scorer third. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Lamelo seems too young. Would like a dawg thats been in some playoff battles.

He knows the FIBA rules at least. He’s young, but this team needs another facilitator other than Draymond. 

i'm sticking with two of the guys i already mentioned- bring in Duncan Robinson and Dejounte Murray. you need role players like these guys on the olympic team.

and to add a new name to the mix, someone who probably would never get an invite but who i think would be perfect- TJ McConnell. possibly the most underrated player in the league. ive been saying that for at least 18 months now, and he showed why this season. either led the league or was top 3 in both ast/40 and stl/40. he would love to be able to represent his country and he checks the boxes of both being a distributor and a defender. i'd love to see him get the chance.

Edited by shadow_operative

That's a pretty disappointing attitude expressed by Ja, but okay.... regardless, it's probably going to be someone already named as a finalist for the squad, if they can.  I doubt we get someone like Lebron or Steph or Harden.... definitely not Harden.  I wouldn't mind taking a guy like Brogdon.  Tough defender, good facilitator, can knock down shots.  Trae Young was a finalist so not sure what his issue is.  There's almost no downside to joining now.  If you don't perform, you didn't have any practice time to understand the system and make a big contribution.  If you come in balling, then you'd be white knighted for helping save this lackluster team.  

I don't know..... maybe dudes want their beach time.

Popovich said a consideration would be a player's conditioning level. With numerous players in their offseason, some have been on vacation or just resting and not playing. The team hoped to have a replacement lined up by the end of Thursday, sources said.

"We have to make sure somebody is in shape because we don't have time once we get there with just a couple of practices," Popovich said. "It's going to take a certain individual that we think can pick it all up quickly."

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/31823595/bradley-beal-expected-miss-olympics-jerami-grant-enters-protocols-sources-say

PG13? Sounds like Trae is out. Lou Will? Or someone from the Select team? 

If we go back 2 rounds that brings into play Brooklyn, Philly, Nuggs and Jazz. Toby? Spida is hurt right? 

I have always wondered what it would be like to send the NBA champion team (including coach), but replacing their foreign players with the best available US players. The team would already have very good winning chemistry and probably enough talent to beat any other team in the world.

This year, let's say it is the Suns squad:

• PG: Chris Paul
  • SG: Devin Booker
  • SF: Mikal Bridges
  • PF: Kevin Durant – replaces Saric (Croatia)
  • C  Bam Adabayo - replaces Ayton (Bahamas)
  • B1: Cameron Payne
  • B2: Jae Crowder
  • B3: Torey Craig

Or it could be the Bucks:

• PG: Jrue Holiday
  • SG: Donte DiVencenzo
  • SF: Khris Middleton
  • PF: Kevin Durant – replaces Giannis (Croatia)
  • C  Bam Adabayo - replaces Ayton (Bahamas)
  • B1: Cameron Payne
  • B2: Jae Crowder
  • B3: Torey Craig

For 2016, you would have Cleveland representing: 

• PG: Kyrie Irving 
  • SG: Steph Curry – replaces Delladova (Australia)
  • SF: Kevin Durant – replaces T Thompson (Canada)
  • PF: LeBron James
  • C  Kevin Love
  • B1: Draymond Green – replaces T Mozgov (Russia)
  • B2: JR Smith
  • B3: Iman Shumpert

For 2012, you would have Miami representing: 

• PG: Mario Chalmers 
  • SG: Dwayne Wade
  • SF: Kobe Bryant – replaces Joel Anthony (Canada)
  • PF: LeBron James
  • C  Chris Bosh
  • B1: Udonis Haslem
  • B2: Shane Battier
  • B3: Norris Cole

For 2008, you would have the Celtics representing. They didn’t have any international players, so the whole team would go.

Edited by HookEm
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, d2o said:

They have plenty more than 6 in Vegas. Windhorst means that there are only 6 active players in Vegas right now among the roster of 12 that we were planning to send. We should still have 10 or 11 guys if we play tonight (although the game might get canned).

34 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

They need more size in addition to quick playmakers.   Athletic big men can gobble up rebounds and get a ton of putbacks just by physically dominating against most other national teams even if they aren’t very skilled.  They’re probably more useful in FIBA than the NBA at this point.  

Bam is actually kind of undersized, so trading out Love for someone like Jarrett Allen would be helpful.  It’s a shame Ayton isn’t American.

Any word on whether Zion is weighing in at 330 or still in shape?  He would bounce skinny international dudes into the first row like Barkley in 92.  We need another international incident with Angola.

What about Christian Wood? You think he'd be a good fit? 

17 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

i'm sticking with two of the guys i already mentioned- bring in Duncan Robinson and Dejounte Murray. you need role players like these guys on the olympic team.

and to add a new name to the mix, someone who probably would never get an invite but who i think would be perfect- TJ McConnell. possibly the most underrated player in the league. ive been saying that for at least 18 months now, and he showed why this season. either led the league or was top 3 in both ast/40 and stl/40. he would love to be able to represent his country and he checks the boxes of both being a distributor and a defender. i'd love to see him get the chance.

i was thinking jalen brunson would be a good fit for the exact reasons you mentioned above.  then i compared their career PER 100s.  never realized they were so similar.  when it comes down to it they're almost the same player except tj's a better defender and jalen's a better scorer.

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

i was thinking jalen brunson would be a good fit for the exact reasons you mentioned above.  then i compared their career PER 100s.  never realized they were so similar.  when it comes down to it they're almost the same player except tj's a better defender and jalen's a better scorer.

both guys have shined when given a starter's role/minutes in the league. i have no doubt that either one could give Team USA some really good minutes off the bench, and both would fill those perimeter needs.

7 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Wouldn’t they choose from the select team?

Hope not.  Those dudes aren't ready.  But as indicated..... who's still in shape?  Here were the finalists that didn't make the team:

Other Team USA finalists
LaMarcus Aldridge (San Antonio Spurs)
Jarrett Allen (Cleveland Cavaliers)
Harrison Barnes (Sacramento Kings)
Malcolm Brogdon (Indiana Pacers)
Jaylen Brown (Boston Celtics)
Mike Conley (Utah Jazz)
DeMar DeRozan (San Antonio Spurs)
Andre Drummond (Cleveland Cavaliers)
Paul George (Los Angeles Clippers)
Eric Gordon (Houston Rockets)
Blake Griffin (Brooklyn Nets)
Montrezl Harrell (Los Angeles Lakers)
Joe Harris (Brooklyn Nets)
Tobias Harris (Philadelphia 76ers)
Gordon Hayward (Charlotte Hornets)
Dwight Howard (Philadelphia 76ers)
Brandon Ingram (New Orleans Pelicans)
DeAndre Jordan (Brooklyn Nets)
Kyle Kuzma (Los Angeles Lakers)
Kawhi Leonard (Los Angeles Clippers)
Brook Lopez (Milwaukee Bucks)
JaVale McGee (Cleveland Cavaliers)
Donovan Mitchell (Utah Jazz)
Victor Oladipo (Houston Rockets)
Mason Plumlee (Detroit Pistons)
Julius Randle (New York Knicks)
Duncan Robinson (Miami Heat)
Mitchell Robinson (New York Knicks)
Myles Turner (Indiana Pacers)
Fred VanVleet (Toronto Raptors)
Kemba Walker (Boston Celtics)
John Wall (Houston Rockets)
Russell Westbrook (Washington Wizards)
Derrick White (San Antonio Spurs)
Zion Williamson (New Orleans Pelicans)
Christian Wood (Houston Rockets)
Trae Young (Atlanta Hawks)

21 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

What about Christian Wood? You think he'd be a good fit? 

I'd take wood. Or Collins. Not the biggest guys but stretch 4s and 5s are perfect. 

What's Myles Turner up to?

I'd also take Griffin - but he's old and probably on a beach somewhere. He was a great glue guy for the Nets in the playoffs. 

Edited by ztejas

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

They need more size in addition to quick playmakers.   Athletic big men can gobble up rebounds and get a ton of putbacks just by physically dominating against most other national teams even if they aren’t very skilled.  They’re probably more useful in FIBA than the NBA at this point.  

Bam is actually kind of undersized, so trading out Love for someone like Jarrett Allen would be helpful.  It’s a shame Ayton isn’t American.

Any word on whether Zion is weighing in at 330 or still in shape?  He would bounce skinny international dudes into the first row like Barkley in 92.  We need another international incident with Angola.

We never got over withdrawing from a frustrated Angola? 

26 minutes ago, ztejas said:

This seems obvious, actually. Forgot he was on the select squad. He's been getting decent minutes.

I've liked Garland pretty well, too. Honestly fine if they just move those 2 up. 

Garland is also a very underrated player. super consistent. plays in a city that God has forgotten about so nobody ever sees him play. but yes, he's a solid guard who can score a little and more importantly distribute. 

Edited by shadow_operative