New Nintendo Switch announced

Hawndoh

Calling it the OLED edition.

It is not the 4k capable switch pro people were hoping for.

New 7-inch OLED screen that can run 720p in handheld mode.

1080p in docked TV mode.

Wired Ethernet port built in.

64 gb built in storage, up from 32.

But looks like everything else is basically the same. No new Nvidia hardware or anything.

350 bucks this October.

21 hours ago, MillerEP said:

May be a cartoon of text that says 'DON'T BE FOOLED, IT'S JUST LIKE THE OLD SWITCH BUT WITH ANEW STAND BUTIT'S GOT A NEW STAND!'

This.

The new stand is cool (god the current design is crap) and the black/white color scheme is sleek but:

• With the affordability of SD cards, the extra storage is basically moot
  • No upgrade in hardware or graphics
  • No new joycon design to fix the drift issue

It's a good intro switch for someone who doesn't have one yet or people who claim to struggle to play on the current screen size when in handheld (*Sure, Jan*), but overall, there's no point in upgrading at all.   This OLED model will probably become the base Switch if and when a Pro comes out, but I'm not holding my breath on that in 2022.  Or ever. 

1 hour ago, Viper said:

yeah I just don't think there's enough cpu/gpu's available to come out with an upgraded model. I think Christmas 2022 at the earliest.

I suspect that this was intended to hold an upgraded CPU/GPU/SOC and more memory, but the chip shortage put the kibosh on it. If you don't have a switch already this new one is at least better

9 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I suspect that this was intended to hold an upgraded CPU/GPU/SOC and more memory, but the chip shortage put the kibosh on it. If you don't have a switch already this new one is at least better

possibly, but they also have a history of doing product refreshes mid-cycle to increase demand. 

On 7/7/2021 at 1:59 PM, Captainant said:

Yeah, and the tariffs are still in place from last year, so still fucking with various prices.

At this point, they'd be better off with something like this and wait a few years and just launch the Switch 2, fully backwards compatible, 4K, etc.