Airplane Etiquette Thread

956 Worldwide

5 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Switching seats (in your favor) to let families sit together should be automatic right?  If you're a single traveler.

Depends on the offer.  If I'm trading an aisle for an aisle, no problem.  But if you want to stick me in a middle or window I'm gonna say no.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Depends on the offer.  If I'm trading an aisle for an aisle, no problem.  But if you want to stick me in a middle or window I'm gonna say no.  

Yup.  And it has to be within a row or two max.  I'm not switching my aisle row 8 for your aisle row 22.     And If Im in 22 and you ask me to go to 8 where there is ZERO bin space that's also a no.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

So here’s what I’m thinking, we sell $25 tickets to Las Vegas on Spirit, then rig the controls like a big drone. Advertise “no mask/no vax special.” And fly those suckers out over the Atlantic/Pacific/Gulf till they fall out of the sky. Sort of a budget Marching Morons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Marching_Morons

1 hour ago, The Ace of Aces said:

The souvenir at 1:10 is classy (flight was a Spirit LAS to ATL on July 23). Sidenote: I'm not flying anything but first class anytime soon, fares are so cheap people who have never traveled (and don't know how to act) are a problem across the board in the US. This country's so fucked. 

That was soooo much better than my last in flight movie.

• Hook 'Em 1

May God bless American Airlines!  What a great flight, except that it left DFW about 30 minutes late.  Sitting in first class of a 787 for six and half hours, a lie-flat seat, with touchscreen controls, is the bomb.  I think the flight actually arrived almost on time, despite leaving late.  We were the fourth plane in a row taking off at DFW.  

I had a window seat, with 2 windows to look out, and of course you guys know about the tint control.  

Here is how much extra room I had.  You know that overhead compartment.  I had the entire compartment to myself for my two carryons.  Wow! 

When we left DFW the screen showed 104 degrees.  Watched programming I hadn't seen before, on their screen, listened to several kinds of music, watched the interactive screen showing details about the flight, took a 2 hour nap, etc.  Btw, Anchorage was almost exactly 64 degrees when I arrived.  

The bonus was the tasty cold meal.  I was told by an AA supervisor the other night about 12:30 a.m. that there was no meal.  All she had to say was "there's no hot meal".  Tiny little turkey pastrami sandwich with a side...strange no chips, but whatever.  It was kind of funny listening to the gate person remind people several times before departure that there would be no food on the flight.  She encouraged people to buy whatever.  Some people did jump up and buy food. 

No apple pie.  I had half a burger and fries leftover from lunch with the wife.  Ate that while waiting for departure.  

Because of that great nap, I am still wide awake.   And of course there is plenty of sunshine in Anchorage right now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The souvenir at 1:10 is classy (flight was a Spirit LAS to ATL on July 23). Sidenote: I'm not flying anything but first class anytime soon, fares are so cheap people who have never traveled (and don't know how to act) are a problem across the board in the US. This country's so fucked. 

That is where I am. I'll pay the extra $$$ to not deal with the mouth breathers.

Oh forgot about this little gem.  Penance for my empty middle seat up to Chicago I guess.  On the way back, I'm in the 4th row.  3rd row on the other side is a dad and about 4 year old daughter, middle and window seat. 

The dad decides to let his daughter watch cartoons on the ipad at FULL VOLUME WITH NO HEAD PHONES THE ENTIRE FLIGHT.  I didn't realize what was happening until about 15 minutes in and everyone around them seemed to have decided, welp, I guess we are letting this happen.

WTF.

8 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Oh forgot about this little gem.  Penance for my empty middle seat up to Chicago I guess.  On the way back, I'm in the 4th row.  3rd row on the other side is a dad and about 4 year old daughter, middle and window seat. 

The dad decides to let his daughter watch cartoons on the ipad at FULL VOLUME WITH NO HEAD PHONES THE ENTIRE FLIGHT.  I didn't realize what was happening until about 15 minutes in and everyone around them seemed to have decided, welp, I guess we are letting this happen.

WTF.

That's complete BS. The flight attendant should have nipped that shit in the bud. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

WTF.

Can't believe the flight attendants let that happen. I've seen that shut down instantly on various carriers.

Were you flying Spirit?

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/22/2021 at 11:52 AM, Brisketexan said:

One of my best friends in high school spent a couple of years in Tunisia in the early 1980s (family was oil patch).  He remembers taking flights locally and around the Med, and talking to flight attendants who related stories of their in-flight announcements during the Hajj (the pilgrimage to Mecca that every muslim is supposed to take once -- including dirt poor people who had never been on ANY real transport, especially an airliner).  They would actually have to issue an announcement that passengers couldn't take out their little travel grills and cook in the aisles.

Again, this was 40 years ago.....I'm SUSPECTING that things may have improved just a little bit.

Man in 1998 I remember sitting on an Iberia flight from Madrid to who knows where and my seat was behind the "smoking section"... hard to believe that wasn't that long ago.  As if the smoke stops at the row number.  It stunk to high heaven.

WTF.

Was on an AA flight back from LAX a coupla weeks ago, and some nimrod behind me tried this - FA shut him down toot sweet. I smiled.

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Was on an AA flight back from LAX a coupla weeks ago, and some nimrod behind me tried this - FA shut him down toot sweet. I smiled.

I just...in what world do these parents think this could possibly be ok?  Are these the people that have never flown before? 

13 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I just...in what world do these parents think this could possibly be ok?  Are these the people that have never flown before? 

I was on SW flying back from Cabo and the FA shut that down before we even pulled away from the gate 

42 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Same dumb fucks who will let their child scream at the top of their lungs in public, and not give 2 fucks about controlling them or removing them from the publics annoyance.

Flying from Eagle outside of Vail 5 years back, and a woman was sitting in the terminal while her child had a nuclear meltdown right in the middle of everyone she simply ignored the child, and let him scream continually for at least 15 minutes.   In that small airport everyone in the building was subjected to that shit. 

The word cunt can be mis used..... not in that case.

• Hook 'Em 1

Had similar in a United lounge a few years ago, quiet lounge, many businesspeople working on laptops, this family comes in and the 2 kids are screaming and running around, even running into other people's luggage and knocking it over a couple times. Parents did nothing. It took quite a bit of restraint for me to not trip the kids as they ran past me the 15th time.

I was on a business trip to Chicago mid winter once. After the trip i decided to treat myself as I rarely fly 1st, alone, on domestic. So I upgraded, upon my return home.   As most know the flight was delayed, i hate O'hare, and we finally board only to get told they have to take extra time to de ice again.  The fa gives me a hot coffee and then offers a hot towel.  It was freezing inside so i know outside must have been on the cusp of grounding planes. 

As i put the cup of brew on my lips and pad my face with the hot towel i turn to look out my window seat only to find a guy staring right at me.  He was obviously freezing his ass off and looking at me like i'm the biggest douche on earth for padding my face with a hot towel inside the plane.  It wasn't a glance.  It was a full on gaze whereby the juxtaposition sent him into a full on daydream.  You know the image.  Where the person is standing there with a cigarette with an unclosed mouth hanging from their lips. It was awkward but I couldn't help but chuckle at all the choice words he probably had for me in his head.  Even I called myself a dick, put the coffee down and returned the towel.  I was reminded to be thankful and kind to others and flew home.   

Edited by RollLeft
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, RollLeft said:

I was on a business trip to Chicago mid winter once. After the trip i decided to treat myself as I rarely fly 1st, alone, on domestic. So I upgraded, upon my return home.   As most know the flight was delayed, i hate O'hare, and we finally board only to get told they have to take extra time to de ice again.  The fa gives me a hot coffee and then offers a hot towel.  It was freezing inside so i know outside must have been on the cusp of grounding planes. 

As i put the cup of brew on my lips and pad my face with the hot towel i turn to look out my window seat only to find a guy staring right at me.  He was obviously freezing his ass off and looking at me like i'm the biggest douche on earth for padding my face with a hot towel inside the plane.  It wasn't a glance.  It was a full on gaze whereby the juxtaposition sent him into a full on daydream.  You know the image.  Where the person is standing there with a cigarette with an unclosed mouth hanging from their lips. It was awkward but I couldn't help but chuckle at all the choice words he probably had for me in his head.  Even I called myself a dick, put the coffee down and returned the towel.  I was reminded to be thankful and kind to others and flew home.   

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Had similar in a United lounge a few years ago, quiet lounge, many businesspeople working on laptops, this family comes in and the 2 kids are screaming and running around, even running into other people's luggage and knocking it over a couple times. Parents did nothing. It took quite a bit of restraint for me to not trip the kids as they ran past me the 15th time.

Yeah, I've been known, much to my wife's horror, to tell other people's kids to cut their shit.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

On 7/28/2021 at 6:28 AM, Biff Tannen said:

Am I the only one who has never witnessed this?

Shit man, every time I've flown into MIA, the fucking Cubans on board (maybe not all, but many), as soon as the wheels touch the runway, they jump up and start yanking shit out of the overhead.  FA's screaming "SIT DOWN" over the PA.  

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

Shit man, every time I've flown into MIA, the fucking Cubans on board (maybe not all, but many), as soon as the wheels touch the runway, they jump up and start yanking shit out of the overhead.  FA's screaming "SIT DOWN" over the PA.  

Haha, I’m flying into Ft Lauderdale tomorrow. Maybe a chance?

19 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

This is irritating.  Had this almost experience before.  But a cunning attendant took them aside and took them to a family room where the kids could be as loud as they want and let us live in peace.

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

Haha, I’m flying into Ft Lauderdale tomorrow. Maybe a chance?

Done FLL and PBI quite a bit, don't remember seeing it there (GF is from Miami, her brother and sister in Coral Gables, her mom is now in Palm Beach County, so I go there several times a year)

On 7/28/2021 at 10:51 AM, Biff Tannen said:

There are people in this world, that if you visit their homes, you will see TVs the size of the wall, always on at high volume, nobody watching.

• Haha 2

Foreign airline flights are always eye opening to see different cultures norms for how to behave on a plane.  On our flight from Quito to the Galapagos, there was a family from Spain I believe who treated the airplane like a family reunion.  There was one lady who wasn't in her seat for more than 5 or 10 minutes of the flight.  She was constantly walking up and down the aisle to talk to different groups of family members.  On a flight back from London once on BA, there was a group of 3 or 4 Italian guys on a racing time who spent the entire flight standing beside the rear bathrooms drinking.  They got pretty hammered and by the end were doing stupid shit like crawling down the aisles to scare their friends who were sitting.  The FA lost her shit at them after telling them to sit down several times.  On a US carrier, they would have been in zip cuffs by the end of the flight.

Edited by kevwun

On 7/28/2021 at 8:51 AM, Biff Tannen said:

As told to me by my mother, one of my sisters was flying 1st class a few years ago with her daughter (3 or 4 at the time). Sister let her daughter stand on the seat and throw things around the cabin all the while saying “she’s just trying to play”. Eventually a flight attendant put a stop to it after some discussion. I was not shocked to hear this story about this particular sister as she lived in FL for many years after graduating from high school. 

31 minutes ago, HornPhD said:

As told to me by my mother, one of my sisters was flying 1st class a few years ago with her daughter (3 or 4 at the time). Sister let her daughter stand on the seat and throw things around the cabin all the while saying “she’s just trying to play”. Eventually a flight attendant put a stop to it after some discussion. I was not shocked to hear this story about this particular sister as she lived in FL for many years after graduating from high school. 

Pics of Sis-Who-Can't-Say-No not showing up.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, kevwun said:

Foreign airline flights are always eye opening to see different cultures norms for how to behave on a plane.  On our flight from Quito to the Galapagos, there was a family from Spain I believe who treated the airplane like a family reunion.  There was one lady who wasn't in her seat for more than 5 or 10 minutes of the flight.  She was constantly walking up and down the aisle to talk to different groups of family members.  On a flight back from London once on BA, there was a group of 3 or 4 Italian guys on a racing time who spent the entire flight standing beside the rear bathrooms drinking.  They got pretty hammered and by the end were doing stupid shit like crawling down the aisles to scare their friends who were sitting.  The FA lost her shit at them after telling them to sit down several times.  On a US carrier, they would have been in zip cuffs by the end of the flight.

Well the Italian guys just sound like a good time. 

• Like 2

Flying home from Vegas this week (Southwest).  Flight is just over 2 hours long.

About halfway through, we had some turbulence.  Dude in front of me just pukes all over the place.  I don't know if he had taken his mask off, or the force of the vomit blew it off.  Watching the FA's get suited up (gloves, apron, etc) to go into battle and start to clean up the biohazards was fun.

The smell was pleasant.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Flying home from Vegas this week (Southwest).  Flight is just over 2 hours long.

About halfway through, we had some turbulence.  Dude in front of me just pukes all over the place.  I don't know if he had taken his mask off, or the force of the vomit blew it off.  Watching the FA's get suited up (gloves, apron, etc) to go into battle and start to clean up the biohazards was fun.

The smell was pleasant.

Hahaha. My buddy did this when we were in our 20s. That flight back can be tough. 

On 7/29/2021 at 5:43 PM, Gil Bang said:

What did you think of the ending of Scarface? Comment below. 👇⠀ ⠀ Tony  Montana, Scarface 🎬⠀ .⠀ .⠀ .⠀ .⠀ #s… | Montana quotes, Scarface quotes,  Tony montana

7 hours ago, kevwun said:

The French are the best. For whatever reason they’re so laid back boarding from France, it’s a pleasant experience. The exact opposite of normal France experiences.