Airplane Etiquette Thread

956 Worldwide

• 2 weeks later...

I love me some airplane misbehaving videos and definitely it’s 100% on the person. With that being said, air travel has become a horrible experience by the people in charge it’s no surprise some passengers snap.

• You’re nickel and dimed to death for every service imaginable so the airline can maintain a low base air fare price on websites.
  • It’s one line after another in the airport. And we all know the security is 99% for show.
  • And practically every passenger turns on their inner Karen trying to spot who is cutting in line.  “You’re in group 15 right behind me. Cut into group 14, and I’m ok going to prison to stop you.” 
  • The airlines cram in more rows, which also means less overhead space per passenger. Which also means carryon luggage must be smaller now. More people also mean more loading and unloading time.

and don’t get me started on the new base economy fares which blatantly try to make your experience even worse so you will spend $50 more next trip “upgrading” to regular economy.

Take some emotionally fragile people, add a stressful experience and we’re surprised it turns into a zoo?

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I love me some airplane misbehaving videos and definitely it’s 100% on the person. With that being said, air travel has become a horrible experience by the people in charge it’s no surprise some passengers snap.

• You’re nickel and dimed to death for every service imaginable so the airline can maintain a low base air fare price on websites.
  • It’s one line after another in the airport. And we all know the security is 99% for show.
  • And practically every passenger turns on their inner Karen trying to spot who is cutting in line.  “You’re in group 15 right behind me. Cut into group 14, and I’m ok going to prison to stop you.” 
  • The airlines cram in more rows, which also means less overhead space per passenger. Which also means carryon luggage must be smaller now. More people also mean more loading and unloading time.

and don’t get me started on the new base economy fares which blatantly try to make your experience even worse so you will spend $50 more next trip “upgrading” to regular economy.

Take some emotionally fragile people, add a stressful experience and we’re surprised it turns into a zoo?

So many people wanted cheaper fares, so what we have now is the outcome of that.  

When I fly for personal reasons, I try and always fly first or business.  Worth it in this day and age.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

So many people wanted cheaper fares, so what we have now is the outcome of that.  

When I fly for personal reasons, I try and always fly first or business.  Worth it in this day and age.

1 minute ago, NoRagrets said:

My attitude is just “get me there.” Noise cancelling headphones are critical. I will not let the airline win. Base fares for the family and we shove everything into one carryon or, God forbid, one checked bag.

Being single, I think of the flight as part of my vacation so there is no way I wouldn't fly premium economy or whatever they call the front of economy. I'm probably not far away from paying for business unless the price was outrageous. and even then I would look for alternative flights. And I don't make much money, I just don't want to deal with the back of the plane.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Being single, I think of the flight as part of my vacation so there is no way I wouldn't fly premium economy or whatever they call the front of economy. I'm probably not far away from paying for business unless the price was outrageous. and even then I would look for alternative flights. And I don't make much money, I just don't want to deal with the back of the plane.

Well, I think of the suffering as character building for my kids. I’m not kidding, I’m 2019 we flew frontier direct to LA (2.5 hrs) and my kids couldn’t get water because they charged for it. Makes them think twice before asking me to buy them something stupid on Amazon.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, NoRagrets said:

Well, I think of the suffering as character building for my kids. I’m not kidding, I’m 2019 we flew frontier direct to LA (2.5 hrs) and my kids couldn’t get water because they charged for it. Makes them think twice before asking me to buy them something stupid on Amazon.

No kids here but that sounds like great parenting advice. Nothing worse than seeing entitled kids sitting in first class complaining about a flat coke.

I grew up in small town and had physically demanding summer jobs. Besides the $3.85-4.25/hr I earned, the most valuable lesson was learning I wanted nothing to do with that life long term. Let a kid see a slap fight at the back of economy and I bet their grades go up.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

= if we can drive there in 2-3 days that is always my preference. yeah, cons are you have to add extra time to the trip, and depending on gas/lodging might not be any cheaper. also if you have kids it might not work. but...so many pros - more room, more comfort, able to stretch your legs at any time, as much baggage/stuff as you want, eat/drink what you want, stop wherever you want, and best part: don't have to deal with the dregs of humanity 😁

but i really enjoy road trips and 'seeing' America. especially somewhere scenic or where i've never been before. 

flying is a horrible, uncomfortable, humiliating experience, and we PAY for the privilege of doing it 😄

Edited by mchookem
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

No kids here but that sounds like great parenting advice. Nothing worse than seeing entitled kids sitting in first class complaining about a flat coke.

I grew up in small town and had physically demanding summer jobs. Besides the $3.85-4.25/hr I earned, the most valuable lesson was learning I wanted nothing to do with that life long term. Let a kid see a slap fight at the back of economy and I bet their grades go up.

When we went to Europe last, wife and I were in business.  Put both boys in Premium Economy (basically equal to domestic first).  The youngest had the balls to come up to my wife mid flight, wake her up and ask if she would switch seats because he couldn't sleep.  After she stopped laughing, she told him to go back to his seat.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, mchookem said:

= if we can drive there in 2-3 days that is always my preference. yeah, cons are you have to add extra time to the trip, and depending on gas/lodging might not be any cheaper. also if you have kids it might not work. but...so many pros - more room, more comfort, able to stretch your legs at any time, as much baggage/stuff as you want, eat/drink what you want, stop wherever you want, and best part: don't have to deal with the dregs of humanity 😁

but i really enjoy road trips and 'seeing' America. especially somewhere scenic or where i've never been before. 

flying is a horrible, uncomfortable, humiliating experience, and we PAY for the privilege of doing it 😄

This is me.  Prior to Covid I was flying more than 100,000 miles per year primarily international for business.

For me vacation is my time.  I plan on what I want to do but also leave the time to do it somewhat flexible.  That is why I drive, plus you have no idea what you may get to see on the way.  If I get to a location and decide that I want to spend a little more time there then that is no problem because I am not having to catch a flight. Road tripping is not an issue for me.  It is not uncommon for me to drive 15 to 16 hours at a time should I want to to get somewhere.  Last year alone I made trips to NC, Virginia, Tennessee and one to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons and another trip to NM, AZ, CO, and Utah.  Just two weeks ago I made a loop (~5000 miles) up to Vermont and back from East Texas.

• Hook 'Em 3

27 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

When we went to Europe last, wife and I were in business.  Put both boys in Premium Economy (basically equal to domestic first).  The youngest had the balls to come up to my wife mid flight, wake her up and ask if she would switch seats because he couldn't sleep.  After she stopped laughing, she told him to go back to his seat.

Your youngest will go far.  Lol.  Well done, kid.  Love your wife’s reaction.

• Hook 'Em 1

Shooters shoot
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

Cold.  Blooded. 

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Could have been worse. He could have woken you up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mininghorn88 said:

This is me.  Prior to Covid I was flying more than 100,000 miles per year primarily international for business.

For me vacation is my time.  I plan on what I want to do but also leave the time to do it somewhat flexible.  That is why I drive, plus you have no idea what you may get to see on the way.  If I get to a location and decide that I want to spend a little more time there then that is no problem because I am not having to catch a flight. Road tripping is not an issue for me.  It is not uncommon for me to drive 15 to 16 hours at a time should I want to to get somewhere.  Last year alone I made trips to NC, Virginia, Tennessee and one to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons and another trip to NM, AZ, CO, and Utah.  Just two weeks ago I made a loop (~5000 miles) up to Vermont and back from East Texas.

Same with me.  We do a long trip to Colorado every summer.  4-8 weeks depending on work and kids' camp.  I love the drive.  I also like having my vehicle and personal bikes there.  And golf clubs/fishing gear.  

And you never know what you will see.  On the way back recently, there was a shutdown on interstate 10 miles north of Raton in Colorado.  Since no feeders went through, we backtracked north 10 miles or so and then went east 30 miles.  From there we took dirt county roads for miles and miles where no one was around.  Saw all sorts of wildlife we never would have seen.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

10 hours ago, mchookem said:

Also, no sex tent on commercial flights. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Can someone explain why people purposely wait to eat their food on the airplane instead of eating it while we wait to board? I can understand if you’re connecting or late and didn’t have time to eat. I’m talking about those who go to sbarro/whichwich/Burger King 10 minutes before boarding after sitting at the gate for an hour just to get their food solely to eat on the plane.

12 hours ago, Pancho said:

I wasn’t under the impression you could send iMessages on regular Southwest Wifi.  Thought you had to upgrayyed-ya for that. 

iMessage and WhatsApp are included in the free wifi on SWA.  So is live TV.  Surfing Surly will cost you $8 though and that's a risky choice.  Your chances of having it work the whole flight are about the same as Texas winning 10 this season.  I mean, it could happen, but... 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 8/18/2021 at 9:57 AM, NoRagrets said:

You’re Calvin’s dad. 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Got damn I am so tired of assholes who don’t know shit and wander through this world in a fog of mouthbreathing incomprehension.

I don’t know how you are capable of buying an international ticket but still showing up at the airport unaware that this thing called “COVID” means there’s gonna be some extra paperwork. I get that it’s confusing and can maybe give you a pass for bringing the WRONG shit.

But not showing up at the baggage drop and being completely mystified at the concept of showing anything at all- tests, vaccine cards, entry forms. I guess the internet really is only Facebook and cat memes for some people. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Got damn I am so tired of assholes who don’t know shit and wander through this world in a fog of mouthbreathing incomprehension.

I don’t know how you are capable of buying an international ticket but still showing up at the airport unaware that this thing called “COVID” means there’s gonna be some extra paperwork. I get that it’s confusing and can maybe give you a pass for bringing the WRONG shit.

But not showing up at the baggage drop and being completely mystified at the concept of showing anything at all- tests, vaccine cards, entry forms. I guess the internet really is only Facebook and cat memes for some people. 

I was at a hotel by the airport in Costa Rica the night before a morning flight back to the U.S. recently. There was an old dude from Wisconsin or some such place chatting with me in the lobby. He asked if I thought he would need a covid test to take his flight the next morning. I was stunned for a moment and then told him he did. Fortunately the airport there offers the rapid antigen test and I told him to get there early for it. Dumb ass. 

• 2 weeks later...

Why am I not surprised that American Airlines has separate mask rules from the FAA and other airlines? Coming home from Boston their staff gave me shit for wearing a buff over my face. They wouldn't let me get on the flight unless I had a cotton mask? So I took off my cotton mask and replaced it with a cotton mask that didn't fit my head at all. Luckily they just left me alone on the airplane and didn't make me take the buff off. 

I'm not one of those Q anon anti mask anti vaccine fucks but goddamn it feels like security theater at this point. 

25 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

Why am I not surprised that American Airlines has separate mask rules from the FAA and other airlines? Coming home from Boston their staff gave me shit for wearing a buff over my face. They wouldn't let me get on the flight unless I had a cotton mask? So I took off my cotton mask and replaced it with a cotton mask that didn't fit my head at all. Luckily they just left me alone on the airplane and didn't make me take the buff off. 

I'm not one of those Q anon anti mask anti vaccine fucks but goddamn it feels like security theater at this point. 

Buffs not allowed on Southwest.

1 hour ago, Zepol87 said:

They have never been allowed on any flight I have been on. AA, SW and United so far this year. 

Same here. I’ve had all three of those airlines make a specific announcement.

Edited by royiv

Y’all might be surprised to know that getting a group of 30,000 mostly-uneducated women from both extremes fringe edges of political views and who either vehemently agree with or disagree with certain rules to enforce those very rules equally and level-headedly is sometimes challenging.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

I flew Southwest and Delta this year with no problem wearing the buff. 

I flew Spirit earlier this year; they had quite a few people onboard in the buff.

And, before you ask about pics, remember Spirit's target demographic...

5 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

The airlines need to have a shared no-fly list, and they need to honor it.  

Somebody gets kicked off AA, they shouldn't be allowed to fly SWA or UA either. 

Should immediately go to TSA No-Fly list. Get on a bus, asshole. You'll want to wear a fucking mask... and a hazmat suit.

• Hook 'Em 2