Best Airline Premium Cabin/Product

Ghost of LL

On 7/9/2021 at 6:10 PM, conVINCEd said:

Only time I’ve ever been cut off in my life was on a plane.  Going to Vegas for a bachelor party, supposed to arrive at 8:00 on a Thursday night, ended up getting in around 1:00.  I certainly deserved it, but I deserved it a whole bunch of other times and it never happened.  Seems like they have a quick trigger on planes.

We flew Virgin to Gatwick from LAX in 1990 immediately following graduation.  Me and 3 buddies, embarkig on a 2.5 month backpacking trip through Europe.  11 countries in all.  Anyway, we start drinking in the South Bay around 3 pm for a 10pm flight.  My gf, now wife, hands me a bottle of Cuervo to put in my backpack (back when they rarely checked that shit).  We get on a 9 hour flight after drinking for 7 hours straight and proceed to start ordering beer after beer.  We made it about halfway through the flight when we were told "that's enough, oh, and everyone else is sleeping, maybe you should be too."  Yeah, well, maybe not, lady.  "OK, can I get an orange juice?"  Poor man's shitty tequila sunrises for most of the rest of the way.  Landed in London fucked up and coming onto a wicked ass hangover.  Some Scottish guy asks if we need a ride.  Sure, why not.  He takes us to our hostel, and he is speaking a language my brain cannot begin to process.  It was apparently english, but damn if I could make out a word, whil emy head was pounding.  Dropped us of fand we slept for about 10 hours.  Then started drinking again.  For the next 2.5 months (I honestly think we took 2 nights off the entire time). /csb

An unrelated travel note:

We've all seen pilots and FA's moving through the airport terminals pulling their bags.  FA's usually have a large suitcase, and a couple of smaller bags hooked to it.

Anyway, I was walking along next to an Allegiant FA.  I've never flown that airline.   She was carrying only a large purse, and was headed to the exit.  I made a wisecrack asking if the airline had lost her luggage.  She tells me that she doesn't have luggage, because Allegiant crew doesn't layover.  They return to their base every day.  I've flown AA quite a bit, and I know that those crews rarely get home on the same day, and are often gone 3-4 days before returning home.  

Just thought it was interesting. 

American Airlines will drop its long-standing flights between Los Angeles and Sydney from the end of August until at least the end of October.

The move effectively sees the Qantas partner airline pull out of Australian skies, given that LAX-Sydney was American's only route 'down under'.

American Airlines has recently begun flying its Boeing 787-9 Dreamliners from Los Angeles to Sydney in cargo-only mode without any paying passengers, although uniformed crew are on the flight in order to bring passengers and cargo back from Sydney to Los Angeles.

"On certain days in July and August, the Australian government has advised that we’re not able to transport customers on the route due to the ongoing coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic," American Airlines noted earlier this month.

However, an update to American's schedule – published this morning on the booking systems used by travel agents – now says the LA-Sydney flight AA73 would be suspended from August 31 until October 29.

The AA72 return flight has likewise been withdrawn from September 3 to October 31 (which marks the start of the Northern Winter 2021 period to which airlines align their schedules).

"Due to the ongoing travel restrictions surrounding the coronavirus (COVID-19), American is suspending customer and cargo flights between Los Angeles and Sydney between September 1 and October 28," an American Airlines spokesman told Executive Traveller.

Asked if the suspension could continue beyond October 28, he said "it's too soon to tell what the COVID-19 travel guidelines will be at that time, but as of today we expect to restart the route at the end of October."

As of July 14, international arrivals at Sydney were slashed to 1,505 per week, after th federal government's decision to halve the number of international passengers allowed to enter Australia until early 2022 from 6,070 per week to 3,035.

This sparked concerns that some overseas airlines would suspend Australian flights

More airlines to follow?

The Board of Airline Representatives of Australia, which represents 33 major international carriers who in normal times operate 90% of all international passenger flights to the country, last month warned that some airlines could have no choice but to pull the plug owing to the cut in arrivals.

"Despite all the effort they've put in, it gets to a point where the only rational response is to suspend operations to Australia, perhaps for a very long period of time," BARA executive director Barry Abrams said in a media statement.

"There'll be a reduction in the level of connectivity available to Australians overseas to get home."

Under the previous cap, many international airlines were carrying only around 35 travellers (or 10% of their total capacity) on each flight to Australia.

The government plans to boost the number of underwritten flights which operate as charter services – the bulk of which have been flown by Qantas – and arrive at Darwin's dedicated Howard Springs quarantine facility.

However, Prime Minister Scott Morrison has acknowledged that the additional repatriation flights "obviously can't fully ameliorate the impact of the reduction of 50%, particularly out of Sydney."

Genuinely surprised it's taken that long. With Aus lockdowns, there has been basically zero passenger traffic, the only way any flights made money was on cargo. Makes a lot more sense to save the costs of passenger readiness (staff, food, gates) and just fly the cargo.

So, as American is becoming a carrier operating out of AUS with a crapload of routes, and we're even starting to use them more domestically (I've long been a SWA customer, but AA is beating them on schedule and prices these days), and we are trying to travel internationally more, I'm thinking that I need to sign up for a AA premium AAdvantage credit card to use for business (again, I've used the SWA visa for a long time, but it's just not giving me what I'm looking for, particularly status and advantages on international travel).

Hell, I don't know if I'll even be able to qualify/get the higher end cards, although my credit is pretty damned stellar.  But if I have a choice, I'm looking at the two higher-end cards at https://creditcards.aa.com/ -- the Executive World Elite and the Platinum Select World Elite.  Obviously, I've never played the mileage/status game at a high level, but any words of advice, recommendations for which one, calling me a naive fool, any of that to share?

40 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

So, as American is becoming a carrier operating out of AUS with a crapload of routes, and we're even starting to use them more domestically (I've long been a SWA customer, but AA is beating them on schedule and prices these days), and we are trying to travel internationally more, I'm thinking that I need to sign up for a AA premium AAdvantage credit card to use for business (again, I've used the SWA visa for a long time, but it's just not giving me what I'm looking for, particularly status and advantages on international travel).

Hell, I don't know if I'll even be able to qualify/get the higher end cards, although my credit is pretty damned stellar.  But if I have a choice, I'm looking at the two higher-end cards at https://creditcards.aa.com/ -- the Executive World Elite and the Platinum Select World Elite.  Obviously, I've never played the mileage/status game at a high level, but any words of advice, recommendations for which one, calling me a naive fool, any of that to share?

When I used to travel internationally for work 6 or 7 times a year, I had the Executive card and loved it. Got me into Admiral's Club around the world and no foreign transaction fees. I gave it up when I stopped traveling and now have the Platinum and very happy. It's the only one we use for everything, and pay it off every month. Get enough miles to take trips on a regular basis. Flying to Italy, on miles, in September. If you're committed to fly AA, which I know is hated by many, it's the only way to go. 

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

thepointsguy.com

A few years ago I boarded my first BA international flight and when I boarded, I remember thinking "Wow- this seat/bed is huge and I'm going to fly BU business from now on!" (I had just moved back from Asia and the business class seats and flights I was used to out there blew away anything LH, KLM or United offered in comparison.)  At bedtime, the waitress - er stewardess - offered me pajama's and actually up made my lie-flat seat with sheets and a comforter. Damn - this was going to be my new go-to airline! 

Well, it turns out that I had actually gotten bumped to first class as my selected business seat had an issue with the A/V system...  (Not sure why I got the upgrade as this was my first BA flight and I'm sure there were others in business who had status higher than mine at the time...)

MANY BA flights later and I've never been upgraded since...  The business class seats are ok but I'm an inch taller than the bed then it's flat so that always sucks.  Luckily, the seats on AA for the same route on the 787 have slightly longer beds so I tend to take AA instead as the schedule/route is better than BA's...

18 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I had the american platinum card for a long time and canceled it when I relo'd out of Austin. I found it worth it...you get the initial points plus club access plus free luggage. The club access is awesome not just for the free drink - but the agents at the entry desk will help you with many things including seating and if there was a flight cancellation that was the first place I'd head (while other flyers stacked in line at the gate counter or waited on hold using the 800 number). American points can still be a good deal on other airlines and on american on occasion. Their "flagship" business seat on the 777-300ER is good.

edit just to add: if you don't care much about the lounge access and are really only interested in free points, the best deal going for aa miles right now is the citi premier with a $95 annual fee and comes with  80k miles fully transferable to aadvantage points. (But after you attain the bonus, if you want AA points you should transfer them before November because the citi-aa transfer-ability may only be temporary.

Edited by Chopper
  • Like 1

On 7/9/2021 at 4:10 PM, The Ace of Aces said:

Got a good “deal” for $4300 two years ago and couldn’t pass it up. I’ve flown the Middle East first and it is so gaudy and fake it’s nauseating. AF/KLM have excellent first/business products. I love the KLM 787 out of Dulles - you wake up refreshed due to the better pressurization.  Pus the gin houses …

I've only flown KLM once and it was also the only time I've ever had the true 1st class, lay down bed seat experience.  It was our honeymoon to Rome and they were by far the most affordable first class we found so we went for it because my aunt had nicely offered to buy our tickets.  It was a great experience and I knew I loved KLM when they served us port and cheese for dessert.  Our FA also could have been Tom Hanks long lost Dutch twin brother.  He answered the phone by saying Ahoy hoy.

Edited by kevwun

21 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I have the Executive and have been really pleased with it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So far, the Swiss Airlines experience has been very lackluster.  Booked my flight through United.  It is all operated through Swiss.  Went to pick my seats in business class.  Decided to upgrade to the extra private seat on the flight over to get a good night's sleep.  Paid the 164.  Great.  Suddenly now, less than a week before my flight, the seat is no longer selected.  I tried to rebook the seat, and they want me to pay again.  So I call Swiss last night.  After a good 15 minute hold, explain the situation, and the guy says it is taken care of.  Go today, and no seat!  Have now tried to call 3 times.  First time, waited 40 minutes, no answer. Second call, 30 minutes.  Now third call, we are at 45 minutes and counting.  This is seriously shit customer service.  

On Swiss Airbus fleet there's no real difference on the reserved/upgradeable seats in the mini-cabin and/or with the double side tables.  The single aisle seat have same interior room, and the ones with aisle-side table i remember is still without surcharge.

I flew Japan Airlines business a few weeks back, the wagyu beef meal option was some of the best airline food I've ever had, and was a solid 4/5 even by regular restaurant fine dining standards.

Photo doesn't do it justice. Quality piece of wagyu cooked to your request. Runny egg served on the side for you to dip or top with if you wanted (I topped it). Fried garlic chips on the side. Dish of Maldon flake salt on the side. I'd happily order this at a restaurant any day. It was damn good.

2090984812_JALwagyu.JPG.5cfa0d4f7501836bf34eee29e8cf0b90.JPG

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Few years back, 1st class on Cathay Pacific from HK to DFW.  Had my own "pod" that converted into a completely flat bed.  Built in back massager into the seat.  Champagne and caviar.  Hell, the steak was pretty god damn good.  

More recent flight to London, flew biz on Virgin.  It was great.  Comfortable seats, good food, even Ben & Jerry Ice cream.  

Caviar.JPG

I have been flying Alaska fairly often domestic. Easily best domestic airline no matter the class of service. Also awesome experience with pet flying. 

I have been flying more business class domestic which I dislike because think it is a waste of money. Given the airline challenges, prices have been worth it for anything over 3 hours. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 7/7/2021 at 10:43 AM, Telegraph_it said:

I am ready. First time on Qatar. 

BF8E4CEF-250B-48A6-A267-BC44D93317C3.thumb.png.81e250b6dacea883787a0ebe0dd9688f.png

How'd this go?  I am wheels up in about 3 weeks.  They did change the plane on us for the DOH-MLE leg on the way there, so no Q suite, which is fairly annoying, but nothing I can really do about it.  Hoping the rest stays the same.

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

How'd this go?  I am wheels up in about 3 weeks.  They did change the plane on us for the DOH-MLE leg on the way there, so no Q suite, which is fairly annoying, but nothing I can really do about it.  Hoping the rest stays the same.

Not the person you quoted but I did the same flights this fall. The Q Suite product was pretty amazing. On the way there we choose two seats that had window views which was nice for the view but if you are going to the Maldives it is likely as a couple so I would recommend the rear facing middle seats the same section. Those are the Q suites that connect and become one big “pod”. (Then again if you want the time alone book the window seats). 

The lounge in DOH is very nice. The rules on alcohol seem to be fluid in the lounge i never was clear on what was allowed. However they do serve drinks in both restaurants (the full service one up stairs or the cafe on the opposite side). 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Q Suite is first, not business, isn't it?  Looks amazing from the YouTube videos I've seen.

24 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Awesome. I forgot I posted this. Food was about the best I’ve had. ANA first is better but Sashimi is one of my favorite things.  

image.thumb.png.3caad79de6309f4f50b31966ffe76e0f.png

The seat and A/V setup was about as good as it gets.

image.thumb.png.9c3ce7dbd91678c2f05b7e58beaae4d2.png

and the Maldives speak for themselves. Thank you Hilton points. 

image.thumb.png.c0bc3802316e4e043d861e62b43a1021.png

image.thumb.png.fc9eaaf759c6a5c72b713adccc3c375d.png

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

God damn I am a true poor. I was happy about getting upgraded to first class for my flight to Tampa this week. 

haha. I didn’t pay cash for any of it. All points. Most of the points was from cash that wasn’t mine. Business travel and credit card reward points can do amazing things. 

Edited by Telegraph_it
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

God damn I am a true poor. I was happy about getting upgraded to first class for my flight to Tampa this week. 

Nah...You're like the rest of us...

I got bumped to Business in a 777 from MIA to DFW (which was the lie flat pods).  That was one of the best upgrades I've gotten so far.  My GF was LOVING it.  If we had arrived at the hotel before 0200, she would have been loving me...oh well...

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, hornbri said:

Not the person you quoted but I did the same flights this fall. The Q Suite product was pretty amazing. On the way there we choose two seats that had window views which was nice for the view but if you are going to the Maldives it is likely as a couple so I would recommend the rear facing middle seats the same section. Those are the Q suites that connect and become one big “pod”. (Then again if you want the time alone book the window seats). 

The lounge in DOH is very nice. The rules on alcohol seem to be fluid in the lounge i never was clear on what was allowed. However they do serve drinks in both restaurants (the full service one up stairs or the cafe on the opposite side). 

Yeah we have the rear facing middle seats in the first or second row, whichever has the pod.  

23 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Q Suite is first, not business, isn't it?  Looks amazing from the YouTube videos I've seen.

No--it's their business-class product.  Qatar only has First on their A380s, and I think they've parked all of those during the Covid.  So it's their highest class of service operating.  But it's categorized as a business-class product and priced as such.

The key way to tell is in the champagne and lack of caviar.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/12/2022 at 4:32 PM, Ghost of LL said:

No--it's their business-class product.  Qatar only has First on their A380s, and I think they've parked all of those during the Covid.  So it's their highest class of service operating.  But it's categorized as a business-class product and priced as such.

The key way to tell is in the champagne and lack of caviar.

They parked all of them, and were going to retire them, but the A350 issues forced them to bring their 10 youngest back in service.  They are only flying Doha-London and Doha-Paris IIRC/

16 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Dumb question amnesty/never flown business class before:

Are the business class bathrooms better than economy?

on premium carriers , mostly asian, they'll be cleaned after each use, and be stocked with all sorts of creams and perfumes

with american carriers you'll just have to share the toilet seats with fewer asses.

• 2 weeks later...

So my Maldives trip got postponed til February because of the god damn bomb cyclone in New York.  Qatar Airways flight actually departed from JFK, but I couldn't get there from Austin.  

Qatar Airways has the best Customer Service I've ever seen.  We let them know about 5 hours before take off that we couldn't get to JFK (Delta flight) and they simply transferred everything over to new dates.  No fees, still got Q Suite, everything the same (and actually a free upgrade to "Elite" status, whatever that means).  Easy peasy.  Just outstanding.

• Hook 'Em 1