Lynyrd Skynyrd

Sbbruin

Might they have been the greatest band of all time had they been allowed to continue?  I simply ask because what they produced in a very short period rivaled what Zeppelin did in a similar period.  Totally different music.  But had they continued to do what they had done until that fateful night for years to come, just imagine.   I’m listening to a A Simple Man and it it such a simply great song.  And they hav em any of those.  And what if they kept making them?  Tragic.  But a great band.  Amongst rock’s very best.

• Hook 'Em 6

• immamac changed the title to Lynyrd Skynyrd
10 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

In case anyone wonders, here are some of the bigger tunes off that debut:

Tuesday's Gone

Gimme Three Steps

Simple Man

Free Bird

Uh, yeah.

Give me back my bullet is way down on their list and so fucking good.

• Hook 'Em 3

. . . and since you brought up the Zep comparison, I would suggest that the 3 biggest rock 'n' roll songs ever are

Stairway to Heaven

Free Bird

Satisfaction

Many would no doubt disagree, but who wouldn't have all 3 in their top 10?

(In case it isn't clear, I am a huge Skynyrd fan).

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

. . . and since you brought up the Zep comparison, I would suggest that the 3 biggest rock 'n' roll songs ever are

Stairway to Heaven

Free Bird

Satisfaction

Many would no doubt disagree, but who wouldn't have all 3 in their top 10?

(In case it isn't clear, I am a huge Skynyrd fan).

Your top 2 work for me.  I have others that may work into #2.  But Stairway is my number 1.  And Free Bird is right there.  3 would be something different like “Your Song” or other EJ song

Said it many times on here but Steve Gaines was about to change the direction of that band.  These two songs show where they were headed.  Not sure Collins and Rossington would have stuck around for it, but it would have been fun to watch.  Somewhere, there is a clip from the 77 show of them doing "I Know A Little" but Steve's version is eye-opening.    The 77 show was 3 months before the plane crash.  They were set to play in Ft. Worth for NYE of that year and my 15 yr old ass had tickets.  

You Got That Right

Steve doing "I Know A Little" before joining Skynyrd

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hullabelew said:

Said it many times on here but Steve Gaines was about to change the direction of that band.  These two songs show where they were headed.  Not sure Collins and Rossington would have stuck around for it, but it would have been fun to watch.  Somewhere, there is a clip from the 77 show of them doing "I Know A Little" but Steve's version is eye-opening.    The 77 show was 3 months before the plane crash.  They were set to play in Ft. Worth for NYE of that year and my 15 yr old ass had tickets.  

You Got That Right

So free form jazz, a la Spinal Tap, Mark II?

1 hour ago, hullabelew said:

You Got That Right

• Hook 'Em 1

That’s a bold statement.  Zep’s catalog is almost unparalleled, maybe only by the Beatles or Stones.

I love Zep, but in a debate about songwriting, their plagiarism can’t be ignored. Skynyrd was more original (as songwriters) and from a songwriting stand point there was much less fat.

Zep fucking rocks, but so many of my favorite songs of theirs have ridiculous lyrics when compared to Skynyrd deftly tackling socio-political issues of the day and making classic rock radio singalongs out of them.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I love Zep, but in a debate about songwriting, their plagiarism can’t be ignored. Skynyrd was more original (as songwriters) and from a songwriting stand point there was much less fat.

Zep fucking rocks, but so many of my favorite songs of theirs have ridiculous lyrics when compared to Skynyrd deftly tackling socio-political issues of the day and making classic rock radio singalongs out of them.

Listening to a little more Skynyrd this morning, and you maybe right.  And what they did in such a short period really makes you wonder how far they could have taken it.  

Just now, Sbbruin said:

Listening to a little more Skynyrd this morning, and you maybe right.  And what they did in such a short period really makes you wonder how far they could have taken it.  

Yeah, I don't mean to sound like I'm shitting on Zeppelin but there was way more "ooh baby baby" stuff and of course the Tolkien stuff, and Skynyrd is dropping shit like "Tuesday's Gone" on the first album and "Curtis Loew" on the second.  And without getting too CR here, the fact that "Saturday Night Special" has hit anthem status is nothing short of an absolute testament to the song's quality given it's message, subject matter, and audience.

• Hook 'Em 2

Zeppelin could have never penned a lyric and they'd still be one of the greatest bands ever. They're in the A1, untouchable tier of rock acts while I think Skynyrd. falls somewhere into whatever the next tier is. 

And I don't understand the weird plagiarism argument against LZ. No one that came before them sounded like them so pardon me if I don't give a shit if they stole a few licks or lyrics from other people. It's music... everyone steals from someone else to some degree and a huge amount of stuff is just a shamless rip of something else. 

I also think it's funny because I'm listening to Skynyrd's first album and it's fantastic but I also don't think it sounds the way it does without LZ existing. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Zeppelin could have never penned a lyric and they'd still be one of the greatest bands ever. They're in the A1, untouchable tier of rock acts while I think Skynyrd. falls somewhere into whatever the next tier is. 

And I don't understand the weird plagiarism argument against LZ. No one that came before them sounded like them so pardon me if I don't give a shit if they stole a few licks or lyrics from other people. It's music... everyone steals from someone else to some degree and a huge amount of stuff is just a shamless rip of something else. 

I also think it's funny because I'm listening to Skynyrd's first album and it's fantastic but I also don't think it sounds the way it does without LZ existing. 

I love LZ, but I'd say they did quite a bit more than just steal "a few licks or lyrics from other people."  There is building on what someone else has done previously, and then there's failure to attribute a direct cop of someone's lyrics or music.  Unfortunately, I think LZ engaged in the latter a few times.  JMO.    

I love Skynyrd as well.  However, I don't have them up in quite the same pantheon as the Beatles, Stones, Zep, etc. simply because I think those other bands were just a little more varied in the types of music they could play and excel at.  Street Survivors and their first one are great, great albums though.  And there was plenty to like on the albums in between.

Edited by Carl Spackler
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I only bring up the plagiarism because of the argument about their songwriting.

Zep's plagiarism isn't at all relevant to their ability to rock balls and melt faces.  To crib your point, Robert Plant could howl indecipherable bullshit and it would still be cool.

But if you're debating these artists as songwriters, well, then the ability to write an original song is pretty god damned relevant.  And Ronnie Van Zant was really, really, really good at writing songs, whereas Zeppelin wasn't that into that component of music really.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I only bring up the plagiarism because of the argument about their songwriting.

Zep's plagiarism isn't at all relevant to their ability to rock balls and melt faces.  To crib your point, Robert Plant could howl indecipherable bullshit and it would still be cool.

But if you're debating these artists as songwriters, well, then the ability to write an original song is pretty god damned relevant.  And Ronnie Van Zant was really, really, really good at writing songs, whereas Zeppelin wasn't that into that component of music really.

That's fair. 

I think LZ wrote some really fucking good songs, though. I just played through LZ 1 and there's about 5 of them on there. 

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

For the best southern rock band I think you need to think about the Allman brothers though, with Skynyrd as a close second.

I agree with this. Allman brothers are closer to the highest echelon of rock than Skynyrd is imo but I could see either side of that one. 

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

That's fair. 

I think LZ wrote some really fucking good songs, though. I just played through LZ 1 and there's about 5 of them on there. 

I agree with this. Allman brothers are closer to the highest echelon of rock than Skynyrd is imo but I could see either side of that one. 

The caliber of their musical talent was at a higher level.  That's not always a deciding factor for me cause I fucking love Bob Dylan, and that dude can't sing a note, but they're just what I'd consider the best southern rock band, and it's Skynyrd next, but not too far behind.  Obviously results vary.

• Hook 'Em 1

LZ wrote a lot of great songs, which is why the plagiarism stuff was always baffling to me.  Fucking great band -- great songs, great musicianship, one of the all-time frontmen, a guitar legend, a multi-instrumental wizard and arranger in Jones, and the amazing Bonham and his bass drum from Valhalla.

One thing I always liked about Skynyrd was that they could occasionally broach some deep topics like death ("That Smell") or gun violence ("Saturday Night Special") while still getting you to shake your ass and without coming off as preachy.  

30 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

The caliber of their musical talent was at a higher level.

Yes. And this is generally how I place bands all time against each other. It's why I take AIC over Nirvana.

But talent can be subjective and the more talented band isn't always the better one. 

19 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

The version of this on Second Helping is my favorite open highway driving song.

It's right up there for me too. I got a speeding ticket driving to work 20 years ago with it blaring and the windows down. Worth it.

24 minutes ago, Wade said:

Amazing that Van Zant wrote those lyrics at 24 or 25 years old.

Eh. Kind of typical for these people. There's some quote about having all the life experiences you need to write by that age or early 20s or something. Alanis wrote all of Jagged Little Pill at 21. Jackson Browne wrote These Days when he was like 17. 

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

Yeah, I realize Zep cribbed a lot of riffs and lyrics, but songs like "Kashmir" stand on their own.

I'm completely opposite.  I really don't find all that much interesting in the Allman Brothers.  I mean, Greg & Duane et al were really good players, but their particular brand of southern rock doesn't reach me the same way as Skynyrd's does.

5 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

That Smell is a great tune also 

In college it may have been my favorite song.  The first few cords just blow the doors off.

And if you’ve seen theSkynyrd doc, Gary talks about how they wrote that song.  Because he crashed a car into a tree completely wasted on coke and booze.

Edited by Sbbruin

13 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

In college it may have been my favorite song.  The first few cords just blow the doors off.

And if you’ve seen theSkynyrd doc, Gary talks about how they wrote that song.  Because he crashed a car into a tree completely wasted on coke and booze.

"Oak tree, you're in my way"

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, mr. sunshine said:

Generally country songs tell stories and rock songs express feelings. Given that, Gimme Three Steps is arguably the best country song ever

I said excuuuuuusse me.

Always tought that was probably a true story of some kind.  He was an alcoholic and violent, but probably knew when to run when facing down a barrel.

1 hour ago, Wade said:

"Oak tree, you're in my way"

And he smashed right into that tree.  What a great start to a song- whiskey bottles, and brand new cars

that was back when the artists made bank on their albums.  Buncha country hicks who played great music became rich very quickly.  And with that comes so much trouble.  

• Hook 'Em 1