The 2021 Gold Cup

Knoxtnhorn

Kind of excited; kind of meh.

Did anyone happen to catch the Guatemala v Guadelupe game last night?  

Game goes to PK's. 

First taker for Guatemala misses.  He skies it over the bar.

3rd for Guad misses. 

4th - 9th rounds are all makes.  

10th round Guatemala's shot is saved.  Guad's shot is saved.

11th round both keepers have to take a PK, and both make it.

12th round goes back to the beginning.  Same Guatemala guy that skied it in the 1st round misses wide.  Guadelupe wins.

I'm not sure how many times one player has missed two PK's in a shootout before, but wow.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I did see that the mighty Trinidad & Tobago, who knocked the US out of the 2018 World Cup...

TIED fucking mighty French Guiana, population 294,071, and only advanced after beating them 8-7 in penalties.

FRENCH

GUIANA

POPULATION 294,071 (January 2021)

...about the same population as PLANO fucking TEXAS, 2019 estimated population of 287,677.

US SOCCER... brain trust of champions.

NOTE: Guadelupe has a population of 100,000 more than French Guiana & Plano.

Edited by Napoleon
  • Haha 1

Guest Lobo

^

I agree.  But I'm bullish on USMNT nowadays.  I'm naive and maybe it's because of the shitshow the United States has been for the last 18 months---but I think we'll fare well at the Gold Cup.  I think we'll qualify with room to spare for the 2022 WC.  And I'm really excited to watch the Women's team as my two girls are really getting into soccer finally after years of me trying.  

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the Gold Cup matches.  They'll be in great, filled-up venues as a sign we are inching back towards normalcy.  Should have some great matches right here in Texas.  I have to admit, unlike Euro and WC---I won't bother watching any group stage games.  But this should get some good eyeballs until Olympics rolls around.  

But I do want to watch Guadaloupe (not Guadelupe, Napoleon---you should know it's French).  So that all of Austin can get into fisticuffs about the proper pronunciation of 'country' we only learned existed right before the match started.  

36 minutes ago, Lobo said:

^

I agree.  But I'm bullish on USMNT nowadays.  I'm naive and maybe it's because of the shitshow the United States has been for the last 18 months---but I think we'll fare well at the Gold Cup.  I think we'll qualify with room to spare for the 2022 WC.  And I'm really excited to watch the Women's team as my two girls are really getting into soccer finally after years of me trying.  

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the Gold Cup matches.  They'll be in great, filled-up venues as a sign we are inching back towards normalcy.  Should have some great matches right here in Texas.  I have to admit, unlike Euro and WC---I won't bother watching any group stage games.  But this should get some good eyeballs until Olympics rolls around.  

But I do want to watch Guadaloupe (not Guadelupe, Napoleon---you should know it's French).  So that all of Austin can get into fisticuffs about the proper pronunciation of 'country' we only learned existed right before the match started.  

I spell it with an "ou", but Wiki gave it to me without an "ou", so I went with that spelling. (Maybe I have the wrong country's info.)

Nope, I fucked it up.

Google lists a Guadalupe, but it's an island with fewer than 300 people on it off the coast of Mexico somewhere. 

I think that you were talking about "Guadeloupe" (only one "a" in addition to that one "u").

Guest Lobo

Overseas French Department sounds like a sex move with South Austin’s Mom.

anyway, Haiti coming up on Sunday.  Who we got?

Yeah I spell-checked the country and went with the first spelling that arose.

As to The Cup.  I know I'll be stuck with 90 mins of Lletget, Roldan, Yuell and Arriola.  Hopefully this will be offset with a healthy dose of Dike and and Hoppe.  What a shit midfield roster, btw.

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Overseas French Department sounds like a sex move with South Austin’s Mom.

anyway, Haiti coming up on Sunday.  Who we got?

Well, Haiti's president was assassinated this morning, so they might be a pretty f'ed up frame of mind, so I'm thinking that most people want Haiti in their group.

Haiti President Jovenel Moïse killed in attack at home

_119297655_jovenelwifereuters.jpg

Haiti's President Jovenel Moïse has been killed and his wife injured in an attack on their home in the nation's capital, Port-au-Prince.

Unidentified gunmen stormed the property at 01:00 local time (05:00 GMT), interim PM Claude Joseph said.

He has called for calm and declared a state of emergency nationwide.

Mr Moïse had led Haiti, one of the poorest nations in the world, since 2017 but had faced widespread protests demanding his resignation.

The nation's recent history has been plagued by coups, political instability and widespread gang violence.

UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson tweeted that he was "saddened at the death of Mr Moïse", calling it "an abhorrent act" and appealing for calm. US President Joe Biden offered condolences to the people of Haiti for the "horrific assassination".

Who will take control?

Mr Joseph called the shooting of the president a "heinous, inhuman and barbaric act", saying the attackers were "foreigners who spoke English and Spanish". Haiti's official languages are Creole and French.

Some reports spoke of men dressed in black carrying high-powered weapons who may have pretended to be part of a US drug enforcement operation, but no official details have been given.

_119300730_haiti_president_assassination

Addressing the nation, Mr Joseph vowed the killers would be brought to justice and said the security situation was "under control".

The state of emergency, or "state of siege", allows for the banning of gatherings and use of the military for police roles, along with other extensions of executive powers.

Mr Joseph said that "all measures have been taken to ensure continuity" and that "democracy and the republic will win".

But questions remain about how much control Mr Joseph can assert.

Haiti's constitution says ministers, under the leadership of the prime minister, take control in the event of presidential vacancy, until elections can be called.

But that also remains unclear, as a new prime minister, Ariel Henry, had been named by Mr Moïse just this week but has yet to be sworn in.

The streets of the capital appeared to be largely empty on Wednesday morning....

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-57750358

7 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Well, Haiti's president was assassinated this morning, so they might be a pretty f'ed up frame of mind, so I'm thinking that most people want Haiti in their group.

Haiti President Jovenel Moïse killed in attack at home

_119297655_jovenelwifereuters.jpg

Haiti's President Jovenel Moïse has been killed and his wife injured in an attack on their home in the nation's capital, Port-au-Prince.

Unidentified gunmen stormed the property at 01:00 local time (05:00 GMT), interim PM Claude Joseph said.

He has called for calm and declared a state of emergency nationwide.

Mr Moïse had led Haiti, one of the poorest nations in the world, since 2017 but had faced widespread protests demanding his resignation.

The nation's recent history has been plagued by coups, political instability and widespread gang violence.

UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson tweeted that he was "saddened at the death of Mr Moïse", calling it "an abhorrent act" and appealing for calm. US President Joe Biden offered condolences to the people of Haiti for the "horrific assassination".

Who will take control?

Mr Joseph called the shooting of the president a "heinous, inhuman and barbaric act", saying the attackers were "foreigners who spoke English and Spanish". Haiti's official languages are Creole and French.

Some reports spoke of men dressed in black carrying high-powered weapons who may have pretended to be part of a US drug enforcement operation, but no official details have been given.

_119300730_haiti_president_assassination

Addressing the nation, Mr Joseph vowed the killers would be brought to justice and said the security situation was "under control".

The state of emergency, or "state of siege", allows for the banning of gatherings and use of the military for police roles, along with other extensions of executive powers.

Mr Joseph said that "all measures have been taken to ensure continuity" and that "democracy and the republic will win".

But questions remain about how much control Mr Joseph can assert.

Haiti's constitution says ministers, under the leadership of the prime minister, take control in the event of presidential vacancy, until elections can be called.

But that also remains unclear, as a new prime minister, Ariel Henry, had been named by Mr Moïse just this week but has yet to be sworn in.

The streets of the capital appeared to be largely empty on Wednesday morning....

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-57750358

Anyone seen Wyclef lately?? 

53 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

...right...

Bayern doesn't want him out there playing against hacks in a group, then in knockout stages, then turn around and go back across the pond din September to play against hacks three times in 10 days as well.

They likely said "pick one or the other, and choose wisely...["September" is shouted].

2 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

No Euro based players should play in this shit.  I’m looking forward to it, because soccer, but totally understand Euro guys skipping.  

I'm still puzzled USMNT got Reggie Cannon, Shaq Moore, Nicholas Gioacchini, and Matthew Hoppe on the squad. Cannon is the most puzzling, but if Berhalter does not cap tie the last three, I will be disgruntled. Get these Euro based players minutes if they're missing preseason with their respective teams!

4 hours ago, Napoleon said:

...right...

Bayern doesn't want him out there playing against hacks in a group, then in knockout stages, then turn around and go back across the pond din September to play against hacks three times in 10 days as well.

They likely said "pick one or the other, and choose wisely...["September" is shouted].

Why can't both be true? Maybe Bayern hired a professional to give him a minor knock. 

Are we allowed to talk nationalist shit in this tourney or No?  I mean, Mom's from Mexico.  Two of my cousins are from Costa Rica.  And I once beat a man from Martinique within an inch of his life.  I should call him.  Also, the Central American teams always intrigue me in this.  

Curacao out of CONCACAF Gold Cup for positive COVID tests

MIAMI (AP) Curacao was dropped from the CONCACAF Gold Cup on Friday because of positive COVID tests and replaced by Guatemala.

Ranked 76th, the island nation was to open Group A on Saturday against El Salvador in Frisco, Texas, then play Mexico on Wednesday in Dallas and Trinidad and Tobago on July 18 at Frisco

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/curacao-concacaf-gold-cup-positive-125846053.html

That’s like the Euros finding out at the last minute that The Faroe Islands couldn’t compete and Lichtenstein was thrown in at the last minute. 

This is AWFUL!!

This changes EVERYTHING!

Went in that place after a round of golf with a group of friends.   We were pretty over served by the time we got there.  One of the strippers was so fugly had one guy give her money to put her clothes back on.  Of the 15 girls working at the time, 2 were almost worthy of buying a table dance from. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

Went in that place after a round of golf with a group of friends.   We were pretty over served by the time we got there.  One of the strippers was so fugly had one guy give her money to put her clothes back on.  Of the 15 girls working at the time, 2 were almost worthy of buying a table dance from. 

Precisely why I can't do strip clubs.  I end up feeling bad for some of the girls.  Last time I was in one (in Knoxville), one of the girls had a c-section scar; one of the others had a bullet wound.  

On a lighter note, tomorrow is going to be badass...

Tour de France

My first soccer game on my new team of olds at noon.

Euro.

Gold Cup.

23 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Precisely why I can't do strip clubs.  I end up feeling bad for some of the girls.  Last time I was in one (in Knoxville), one of the girls had a c-section scar; one of the others had a bullet wound.  

On a lighter note, tomorrow is going to be badass...

Tour de France

My first soccer game on my new team of olds at noon.

Euro.

Gold Cup.

That just means she fucks

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

Get bent fuckface.   Finally showing your ass again, eh puta? 

Yessir! What’s up with you? Why have you been calling me out all month? Did you get bored or something? Need someone to spice things up? 

Edited by JNip

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Someone check in on the no era penal guy.

Mixed thoughts on that play. There was contact on Lozano, but he definitely exaggerated it and looked to go down instead of make a play. Instead of a call, though, he gets fucked up from a keeper's knee to his brow ridge.

Not saying he deserved it, cuz he didn't. The outcome was awful. But it is a cautionary tale--maybe don't dive so fucking much.

2 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Mixed thoughts on that play. There was contact on Lozano, but he definitely exaggerated it and looked to go down instead of make a play. Instead of a call, though, he gets fucked up from a keeper's knee to his brow ridge.

Not saying he deserved it, cuz he didn't. The outcome was awful. But it is a cautionary tale--maybe don't dive so fucking much.

Yeah. Interesting observation. I don't know - you can say he dived but the defender clearly got him in the back with a good amount of force. That wasn't at all a futbol play. 

I feel like I tend to side with attacking players when it comes to pens, though. At least more than others.

Man... that wasn't the worst free kick. Mexico fucking around a bit here. 

I also like these commentators a lot. Refreshing change of pace from being beaten over the head with Taylor Twellman. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yeah I mean obviously I have better things to do than watch Mexico play Trinidad on a Saturday night. 

Actually apparently I don't. 

Haha I'll fall on that sword. Not much of a life right now and not ready for this "summer of soccer" to end.

Besides, I've long enjoyed watching El Tri play ... at least, I did up until the past 10 or so years. The Mexican team possesses a lot of on-the-ball skill and can tiki-taka with the best of them outside of Spain. They are very patient in possession and usually create heaps of chances from the run of play.

But then something happened. I think maybe Dos a Cero in 2002 broke them. Like, it hurt them in a way from which they've never been able to recover. Mexico fancies itself as an elite soccer power--with neither the international history nor hardware to back it up--and then these upstart Yanks--who can't even get recognized by their own countrymen--come along and whip their ass on the biggest stage.

Since then, there's been so much bitchassedness and negativity. Maybe it was always there and I didn't notice, but it certainly seems to have gone to another level after 2002.

If it's not the players diving or coming in late in hopes of taking out one of our players, it's the fans throwing bottles of beer, bags of piss, or D-cell batteries at athletes (even their own country's). The press doesn't help, either, shaming and excoriating the players and coaches whenever they come up short against the US.

But, yeah, I'm watching Mexico play in a meaningless regional tournament on a Saturday night. 

• Hook 'Em 1