The 2021 Gold Cup

Knoxtnhorn

I'm OK with the US not sending its A side to this tournament. Many of the fresh faces we saw in the Nations League are tired from a long season, and we'll need them rested and rejuvenated for three WCQ matches in nine days in a couple of months.

Plus, hack-a-thon tournaments like this are tailor-made for our MLS depth. Let the domestics take most of the bumps and bruises (fingers crossed, that's all), cap tie some promising talents like Busio, and coach 'em up to reach the semis. Anything more is gravy.

Hopefully, this hand-wringing will be for naught and those we want to see will be subbed in during the second 45.

Edited by Braff Zacklin
Used "hopefully" three times. Also, out of rep for a while. Apparently shot my wad during today's Euro and last night's Copa finals.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I almost feel like this lineup is a way for Beerholder to say, "See?" when the US wins 5-0.  I hate these types of games because I hate when we play obviously overmatched teams.  Especially given the assassination.

Note: yes I saw the T&T game a few years ago.

• Like 1

Just now, RamjetFDO said:
2 minutes ago, ztejas said:
These kits are growing on me, ngl. 

These kits need to be banished to the 90s time warp from where they came.

The stripes on the socks are fucking stupid. But the shorts are solid. I think they'd be okay if they just wore all blue or white socks maybe. 

4 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

Why do I have to see Zardes in the red white and blue in 2021?

Because Hoppe might accidentally finish a chance or two and we aren't trying to run up the score on a team under such political duress as Haiti. 

(It was a nice assist though)

Edited by ztejas

1 minute ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

So catch me up on the USMNT.  Is this the B squad?  Seems like a lot of young guys.  Isn't it a good idea to get them experience?

I'd say between the C+ and B- squad. A few 2nd stringers. Mostly 3 and 4 deeps. 

Just now, A-Tex Devil said:

I get it’s Haiti, but Shaq Moore looks good.  That first touch ahead of the goal to start that sequence was nice. 

His cross game into the box is fantastic and has nothing to do with who we're playing. I mean, he'd have less space against a better defending team but be clearly has some nice touch on the ball from the right side. 

Looking at Shaq's club history. He's in the Spanish 2nd league right now but got 6 apps with Levante in La Liga. Not bad. Just 24. 

And he continues to be a problem down the right side. Sure it's Haiti but he's my MOTM so far. 

Edited by ztejas