the McCartney-Rick Rubin documentary trailer is out

Gil Bang

I'm gonna say, as the biggest Beatles fan (willing to entertain debate, but I digress), I'm so-so on this.  Of course, any chance to listen to one of the greats speak about the music is good.  And they haven't gone over a lot of long plowed ground (mostly).  But it's hard for me to shake this feeling that this is Paul framing up his legacy, as if he needed to do that.  Like he called up Rick Rubin and said, "I want to do this elder statesman of rock vanity project and use you as a foil.  I want your legitimacy with "younger" folks - i.e., guys in Gen X - as to bolster my cred and make sure people remember me."  There was a whole lot of "yep, that's me.  I came up with that idea."  A bit of breaking the ole arm patting himself on the back.  Maybe that's too cynical. In any case, I binge watched the first four episodes and perhaps I'm jealous it's Rick standing there asking questions and not me.  Perhaps.   

• Like 3

watched the first episode. thought the editing was weird and it was kind of all over the place in terms of what they were talking about. there were some interesting tidbits in there but overall, not great. also, rick rubin is a very strange motherfucker. 

1 hour ago, stc said:

also, rick rubin is a very strange motherfucker. 

This X1000. Not to thread jack, but Rubin--who was president of Def American at the time-- wanted to to change the name of Black Crowes  to Kobb Kounty Krows, intentionally misspelling Cobb County where the Robinsons grew up because he thought it would be easier to market a southern rock band with KKK in their name...well, fuck him. Chris Robinson threatened to kick Rubin's ass  right on the spot for him suggesting they rebrand themselves as white supremacists to sell an album. That's why Rubin's name isn't listed on the original pressing of Shake Your Money Maker (but was added later by Rubin after it became a smash hit).

As to Rubin being weird: Howard Stern and Rubin used to be very friendly (no idea if they still are).  Stern was at Rubin's house, and he had a couple of dobermans and they weren't house-trained because Rubin didn't want to "oppress" the dogs.  Stern stepped in dog shit inside the house. 

And WTF with not wearing shoes for these interviews? 

On 7/20/2021 at 5:12 PM, jimmyjazz said:

I've never actually gotten any clarity as to whether Rubin brings something to all these projects, or if he's just the luckiest hack in history.

Wildflowers.  Echo.  Johnny Cash Johnny Cash/American Recordings/American IV.  Geto Boys.  Shake Your Money Maker.  License to Ill.  Blood Sugar Sex Majik. 

Those are just the ones I personally care about.  I think there's something to him.  There's a few first albums there.  But a lot of it definitely is catching bands in their prime and keeping them fresh.

Edited by dcbc

19 minutes ago, DougO said:

Distribution of the few decent things I would watch is a total shitshow.

It's pretty weird how the streaming services have either really nailed their interface, or appear to be using interface designs dreamed up students from the local high school.

You don't have to completely rip off the best interfaces, but for fuck's sake just get us mostly there.

On 7/22/2021 at 8:40 PM, dcbc said:

Wildflowers.  Echo.  Johnny Cash Johnny Cash/American Recordings/American IV.  Geto Boys.  Shake Your Money Maker.  License to Ill.  Blood Sugar Sex Majik. 

Those are just the ones I personally care about.  I think there's something to him.  There's a few first albums there.  But a lot of it definitely is catching bands in their prime and keeping them fresh.

Yep. I'd also add "I and Love and You" from the Avett Brothers. Love that record.