Win totals out today

theoneandonly

I predict the defense will regress a little bit this year in that we are losing our best players at every level in Poona, Malik, Elliott and Hill, just as we regressed in year two of Charlie after losing Hicks, Brown, Diggs and Thompson. 

The key will be if the offense can get off the mat and throw enough effective punches to make up the difference. And that will be determined by the OL. 

16 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Which is why I said his seat should be warm, not that he should be fired. 

Yeah, but you defended the guy who said Herman should be fired after year two if he only wins 6 games.

10 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I predict the defense will regress a little bit this year in that we are losing our best players at every level in Poona, Malik, Elliott and Hill, just as we regressed in year two of Charlie after losing Hicks, Brown, Diggs and Thompson. 

The key will be if the offense can get off the mat and throw enough effective punches to make up the difference. And that will be determined by the OL. 

You realize your scenario of the offense making up for the defense's regressions, without even mentioning the regression we'll see in the punting game, basically just gets us back to 6 wins in the regular season again, right? 

1 minute ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Yeah, but you defended the guy who said Herman should be fired after year two if he only wins 6 games.

You realize your scenario of the offense making up for the defense's regressions, without even mentioning the regression we'll see in the punting game, basically just gets us back to 6 wins in the regular season again, right? 

Punting: we are in tune with the Aussie Punter Borg Prodcution Line. It won't be otherwordly this year, but it will be better than adequate. As for the offense I think the line will be better, as will Ehlinger and / or Buechele. Line improvement enhances everything. Suddenly or RBs and WRs won't seem so pedestrian, and Beck's play-calling, yes, even Beck's play-calling, will seem to be decent. Maybe even masterful if the line we've patched together miraculously turns into a bunch of maulers...But I don't think that will happen. In a typo upthread I called them "bad aids," and that's what they were last year. Which is incurable....While this situation is not quite that bad, I think we are a year away from sniffing nine or ten wins, and seven seems right. 

I think an entire year and another offseason in Orlando's system outweighs the players lost. We were VERY shaky to start the season but figured things out by USC. Defense dominated the SEC's best offense in the bowl game without Malik, Hill or Elliott. Johnson will fill in well for Malik. The only major loss is Poona.

I think defense will improve over last year. Offense can't get worse. I'm banking that field goals will improve over last season. I'll be disappointed with 7 wins. Hoping for 9, will be good with 8.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

I think an entire year and another offseason in Orlando's system outweighs the players lost. We were VERY shaky to start the season but figured things out by USC. Defense dominated the SEC's best offense in the bowl game without Malik, Hill or Elliott. Johnson will fill in well for Malik. The only major loss is Poona.

I think defense will improve over last year. Offense can't get worse. I'm banking that field goals will improve over last season. I'll be disappointed with 7 wins. Hoping for 9, will be good with 8.

This is way off. Our defense played good in one game wihtout some of those guys, but we relied on most of them throughout the year.  Holton Hill played out of his mind for us last year. Boyd will have a hard time getting to that leve, even if he has a good year and our other CB will likely be a bit of a dropoff from Boyd last year. It's not about GJ filling in for Malik; they played on the field together most of the time. It's about whichever LB we put out there filling in for GJ's production last year.  Poona played incredibly well. Maaybe all the guys on the DL can step up to mitigate that absence, but it's far from a guaranty.  Not to mention, our depth at LB is extremely thin. If GJ gets hurt, we'll be in a lot of trouble. DL and CB is also fairly thin, barring some huge contributions from multiple TR FR.

Orlando's a really good coach, but expecting the defense to improve with that many personnel losses is pretty outlandish.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Yeah, Herman should be given ten years to rebuild the program. We are well known for our patience here. . 

There's a huge difference between giving someone ten years and firing them after two. Don't be a fucking retard.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Your Herman fanboyism is fascinating to me, dating back to the older board. I really believe you would give him a 20 year contract if you were C de C. 

Your inability to read is fascinating to me, and I have no idea who the fuck you are.

You might want to have that brain damage checked out.

Edited by Tex Pete

5 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

This is way off. Our defense played good in one game wihtout some of those guys, but we relied on most of them throughout the year.  Holton Hill played out of his mind for us last year. Boyd will have a hard time getting to that leve, even if he has a good year and our other CB will likely be a bit of a dropoff from Boyd last year. It's not about GJ filling in for Malik; they played on the field together most of the time. It's about whichever LB we put out there filling in for GJ's production last year.  Poona played incredibly well. Maaybe all the guys on the DL can step up to mitigate that absence, but it's far from a guaranty.  Not to mention, our depth at LB is extremely thin. If GJ gets hurt, we'll be in a lot of trouble. DL and CB is also fairly thin, barring some huge contributions from multiple TR FR.

Orlando's a really good coach, but expecting the defense to improve with that many personnel losses is pretty outlandish.

You're assuming younger guys can't improve? Elliot was a nobody in 2016. Hill couldn't sniff the field in 2016. Malik was playing lost in 2016. Coaches made these guys better and put them into position to succeed. That's why the defense improved throughout the season and in the bowl game. 

I disagree that Boyd can't be as productive as Hill- he looked great at the end of the season.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

You're assuming younger guys can't improve? Elliot was a nobody in 2016. Hill couldn't sniff the field in 2016. Malik was playing lost in 2016. Coaches made these guys better and put them into position to succeed. That's why the defense improved throughout the season and in the bowl game. 

I disagree that Boyd can't be as productive as Hill- he looked great at the end of the season.

I understand guys can improve but expecting guys to step up at every single position we lost is unlikely. I don't expect our defense to be awful next year, but generally when a defense loses that much production, it regresses the next year. Expecting the defense to be even better than last year is unrealistic.  And again, we have a lot less depth than we had last year.  A couple bad injuries could really affect the defense.

Edited by UT Lawnghorn

18 hours ago, CastHorn said:

I just don’t see why we can’t Beat teams like WVU, TCU, USC, Oklahoma State, and Kansas State. The Big12 is depleted. We might be ass ourselves, but I think we will be less trash then most of the teams on the schedule. 8 to 9 wins on paper in my opinion. 

herm has to have 4 of 5 from that batch

32 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Couldn't the defense regress statistically and still give up fewer points? Orlando keeps the floor from giving out. Now we need just need the offense to help a little bit.

30 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Your Herman fanboyism is fascinating to me, dating back to the older board. I really believe you would give him a 20 year contract if you were C de C. 

You are talking about a coach who has exactly one year under his belt.  If he has a 6 win season he should be on the "warm" seat or however you put it?  Well what coach who gets 6 or 7 wins for the first two years isnt questioned? noshit.gif

I really believe you would give him a 20 year contract if you were C de C. 

Scroll up a few post and read again what Pete said.  

the offense was Swoopes and Watson bad... what is going to change that?
why is the OL going to be better?
who is going to play Center?
Sam and Shane will get injured in this offense -again.
Is there a healthy, good RB that can block blitz?
how many turnovers pet game will the offense commit?

What's the depth at LB?
What's the depth at S?
What's the depth at DL?
How many double moves will out best CB bite on?

7 wins is probably right on for a team that has struggled to score and has limited depth at defense.

58 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

There's a huge difference between giving someone ten years and firing them after two. Don't be a fucking retard.

70 million spent since Mack on coaches.  4 and 5 stars everywhere.  If you can’t win you need to go.

He must break his trend of getting worse every year where he coaches.

• Fuck You 14

4 minutes ago, theoneandonly said:

70 million spent since Mack on coaches.  4 and 5 stars everywhere.  If you can’t win you need to go.

He must break his trend of getting worse every year where he coaches.

He's been head coach at one school for two years. What trend?

Also, the talent is there to win 8-10 this year, but saying there are 4 and 5 stars everywhere like this is the mid-2000s is a misrepresentation of our roster.

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Machinator said:

He's been head coach at one school for two years. What trend?

Also, the talent is there to win 8-10 this year, but saying there are 4 and 5 stars everywhere like this is the mid-2000s is a misrepresentation of our roster.

Agree on the talent.  It's for sure not peak Mack levels, but the conference is also way down as well.  The gap in recruiting levels between us and the rest of the conference (except OU) may be just as large as it was then.

I’ll take the under on Tech.

Since the schedule came out, I said it would hard for Kliffy to win more than 4.

If he has a .500 season, I’d consider it a pretty good effort, but not necessarily a job saver for him.

16 minutes ago, slorch said:

Since the schedule came out, I said it would hard for Kliffy to win more than 4.

If he has a .500 season, I’d consider it a pretty good effort, but not necessarily a job saver for him.

What do you think his price will be when Herman hires him as OC in 2019?

36 minutes ago, slorch said:

Kliff to Texas OC?

3 minutes ago, Footballpants said:

I'm seeing 8 wins.

Maryland, Tulsa, Baylor, Iowa State, and Kansas get us to 5 wins. Then you need 3 out of 5 from USC, K-State, OU, West Virginia, and Texas Tech (seems very reasonable).

No confidence in beating TCU or Oklahoma State in Stillwater. 

We are more likely to beat KSU and Tech than we are to beat Maryland and Iowa State, but your point stands.  7 wins would be a big disappointment for this season, considering the conference as a whole should generally take a big step back this year.

39 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

What do you think his price will be when Herman hires him as OC in 2019?

Y'all don't do QBs.  

Why the hell would you be interested in Kliff?

3 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Which is why I said his seat should be warm, not that he should be fired. 

But you insinuated that theoneandonly isn't fucking retarded for saying Herman should be fired for winning six. The only way Herman gets fired after year two is NCAA violations. He could go winless and still have a year three. 

• Like 1

On 5/7/2018 at 11:10 PM, CustersDoctor said:

KK gets fired mid season. Prolly after the TCU game. Tech starts 1&5 maybe 2&4. Gibbs promoted goes 3&3 to finish the season.

Well since he is so pretty, Kliff can always use all the University resources at his disposal, get coached up and Switch gears. With a surname name like Kingsbury it is almost preordained.

If Herman can keep Orlando and add Holgs as OC, Texas would actually be back.  That would be one hell of a staff.

I might bet us to take the over.  Take care of business against clearly inferior teams, and get two toss ups and there's 7.  I have OU and WVU as toss ups because those games are in Ames.  I'd expect to lose on the road.  I really don't think Texas is that much better than us, but Herman has pretty thoroughly controlled Campbell thus far, and the game's in Austin.  I assume Texas will also be better than last year.  I would have OK State in the win column if it weren't in Stillwater.

Sure wins (5):  South Dakota State, Akron, Baylor, @Kansas, Tech

Toss Ups (5):  @Iowa, KSU, WVU, @OK State, OU

Likely loss (2) , @Texas, @TCU

Edited by Al_4_ISU