The future of the radical right

Satchel

2 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

I think it would be cool to stop referring to these people as radicals or the right. There is no right anymore. Here is what this group of people are comprised of. I do no veer off negatively very often anymore, but this group is just spreading pure evil. They are racists, bigots, homophobes, nazi wannabes, turn back the clock to the good old days of the 19th century, thieves, grifters, liars, con artists, fake Christian Evangelicals, money-lovers, morally bankrupt, immigrant-hating, border wall loving, common criminals, Qanon believing, Trump loving death cult members and Methodists.

I agreed with everything until Methodists. Whoa my man. Whoa. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

it's the desperate last grasp to hold on their white way of life 

The owners of this country have always used white versus black to maintain control. Due to changing circumstances and political expedienc it’s morphed into a different color of red versus blue but the game remains the same. Pit the poor and middle class whites against the blacks and others to maintain control. Get people to vote against their own economic self interests so that they still get the leftover crumbs that the blacks and others want and don’t ever get. 

In the meantime the party for the ultra rich owners rolls on unabated and is always quite lucrative. See y’all in space.

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

33 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

I think it would be cool to stop referring to these people as radicals or the right. There is no right anymore. Here is what this group of people are comprised of. I do no veer off negatively very often anymore, but this group is just spreading pure evil. They are racists, bigots, homophobes, nazi wannabes, turn back the clock to the good old days of the 19th century, thieves, grifters, liars, con artists, fake Christian Evangelicals, money-lovers, morally bankrupt, immigrant-hating, border wall loving, common criminals, Qanon believing, Trump loving death cult members and Methodists.

Hey! I’m Methodist.

• Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

Could you repeat that, sir?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, UpperWestside said:

tenor-25.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

Here is what this group of people are comprised of. I do no veer off negatively very often anymore, but this group is just spreading pure evil. They are racists, bigots, homophobes, nazi wannabes, turn back the clock to the good old days of the 19th century, thieves, grifters, liars, con artists, fake Christian Evangelicals, money-lovers, morally bankrupt, immigrant-hating, border wall loving, common criminals, Qanon believing, Trump loving death cult members and Methodists.

another john dot com: Football is coming!

Edited by washparkhorn
I can make this joke; I am a Methodist
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

https://twitter.com/harrisjalex/status/1414121617878253575?s=21

"PRRI's 2020 Census of American Religion, based on a survey of nearly half a million people, shows a precipitous decline in the share of the population identifying as White evangelical, from 23% in 2006 to 14.5% last year," Goldberg observes. "As a category, 'White evangelicals' isn't a perfect proxy for the Religious Right, but the overlap is substantial. In 2020, as in every year since 2013, the largest religious group in the United States was the religiously unaffiliated."

Goldberg continues, "One of PRRI's most surprising findings was that in 2020, there were more White Mainline Protestants than White evangelicals. This doesn't necessarily mean Christians are joining mainline congregations — the survey measures self-identification, not church affiliation. It is, nevertheless, a striking turnabout after years when Mainline Protestantism was considered moribund and evangelical Christianity full of dynamism. In addition to shrinking as a share of the population, White evangelicals were also the oldest religious group in the United States, with a median age of 56.

Edited by Satchel

The attempt to galvanize the right around fear-mongering of a Marxist takeover and the brown people hordes mounting a charge from the south has succeeded in galvanizing an ever-shrinking contingent of white southern racists, while alienating the moderates, myself included.  I never get why people fear the fringes taking over.  For decades, the moderates from either side have been the ones who actually win.  Biden was the most moderate of the Dem candidates, and he won.  Everyone hitching their wagon to Trumpism is just going to ride that baby over a cliff.

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

The attempt to galvanize the right around fear-mongering of a Marxist takeover and the brown people hordes mounting a charge from the south has succeeded in galvanizing an ever-shrinking contingent of white southern racists, while alienating the moderates, myself included.  I never get why people fear the fringes taking over.  For decades, the moderates from either side have been the ones who actually win.  Biden was the most moderate of the Dem candidates, and he won.  Everyone hitching their wagon to Trumpism is just going to ride that baby over a cliff.

Perhaps because the extremists in past world history have been successful when they've formed coalitions with the more moderate members. In the case of the present day RW, the GOP lacks interest in coalition building and simply pulls their former critics/moderates across the line (like Ted Cruz and JD Vance) and compels them to stay within the fold or be expelled.

The million dollar question is going to be whether the RW is able to pull enough people to take back key positions or drive more people away. Even if they don't get this next round, they have gotten very active at the grass roots level and that will cause issues with local politics down the road. That, too, has a cumulative effect.

43 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I never get why people fear the fringes taking over. 

Oh idk maybe because Trump won in 2016, came close to winning again last year, and the next Trump probably won't be a complete fucking buffoon and will be capable of working within the system. 

On 7/12/2021 at 5:38 PM, Continental Op said:

Oh idk maybe because Trump won in 2016, came close to winning again last year, and the next Trump probably won't be a complete fucking buffoon and will be capable of working within the system. 

In 2015-2016, Trump was seen as being moderate by many.  He was a democrat for most of his life for one thing.  Policy-wise it may even have been true.  The problem was that he really wasn't interested in any kind of policy at all, mostly just graft and authoritarianism. 

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2015/11/donald-trump-is-a-moderate-republican-thats-why-hes-winning.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/18/upshot/donald-trump-moderate-republican.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2015/12/16/donald-trump-is-a-textbook-example-of-an-ideological-moderate/

In 2020, not so much.  And he lost.

• Hook 'Em 1

Oh idk maybe because Trump won in 2016, came close to winning again last year, and the next Trump probably won't be a complete fucking buffoon

giphy.gif

Trump might be the next Trump…..and lose again. Being POTUS - for a pathological narcissist - has to make a black tar heroin addiction look like a nothingburger.
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tech billionaire Peter Thiel is injecting huge sums into some crucial 2022 midterm contests — and drawing fire from Republicans eager to tie their rivals to the GOP's Silicon Valley bogeymen.

Why it matters: Whether he's backing a candidate or being attacked by one, Thiel embodies the present GOP zeitgeist. His brand of nationalist conservatism mimics the party's Trump-era shift. Yet the fortune he's using to bankroll like-minded candidates derives from an industry reviled by much of that base.

• This dichotomy has produced at least one notable example this year of a candidate publicly attacking Thiel just months after trying to arrange a sit-down with him.

Thiel's $10 million infusion into a super PAC supporting the Ohio Senate bid by "Hillbilly Elegy" author J.D. Vance represented his first major foray into the 2022 cycle. It also opened up a line of attack.

• During an interview last week, one of Vance's primary rivals, former Ohio state treasurer Josh Mandel, hit Vance for positioning himself against Big Tech while he has "a guy who is on the board of Facebook as his biggest political funder."
  • Mandel declined to name Thiel. He also didn't mention the multiple overtures he himself made to Thiel early in the campaign.
  • Text messages reviewed by Axios show Mandel flagged his candidacy announcement for Thiel and followed up to request meetings with him in February and March. Thiel does not appear to have responded.
  • Additional text messages show Mandel praising Thiel in 2018 over his portrayal in a New York Times profile. "I think by in [sic] large people here in the rust belt agree with you," Mandel wrote.

What they're saying: "While J.D. Vance tries to talk tough on big tech, he depends on their money in every aspect of his life," Mandel campaign manager Scott Guthrie said in an emailed statement.

• "His campaign is funded by a board member of Facebook, and his personal income from his VC firm comes from the former CEO of Google and former CEO of AOL," Guthrie said. "Ohioans know that J.D. Vance is a Never-Trumper and a phony whose bills are literally paid by big tech."

Last week, the Washington Examiner reported Thiel is putting another $10 million into a super PAC supporting Arizona Senate candidate Blake Masters, an executive at Thiel's venture capital firm and foundation.

• While locally branded, Saving Arizona PAC's focus so far appears to be national. Its digital ads are running nationwide and plugging Masters as the candidate who can tilt the Senate majority in Republicans' favor.
  • The group's website domain was registered by James Blair, a Republican consultant and former top aide to Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis. Blair didn't respond to inquiries about his role with the group.

In Missouri, Thiel has put a smaller sum — just $250,000 — into a super PAC backing the Senate bid by state attorney general Eric Schmitt.

• Thiel also backed Schmitt's predecessor as AG, Sen. Josh Hawley (R-Mo.), during his 2018 Senate bid.
  • Hawley is now arguably Washington's leading purveyor of the nationalist wing whose ranks Thiel hopes to swell next year.

On 7/12/2021 at 4:38 PM, Satchel said:

https://twitter.com/harrisjalex/status/1414121617878253575?s=21

Goldberg continues, "One of PRRI's most surprising findings was that in 2020, there were more White Mainline Protestants than White evangelicals. This doesn't necessarily mean Christians are joining mainline congregations — the survey measures self-identification, not church affiliation. It is, nevertheless, a striking turnabout after years when Mainline Protestantism was considered moribund and evangelical Christianity full of dynamism. In addition to shrinking as a share of the population, White evangelicals were also the oldest religious group in the United States, with a median age of 56.

My wife is bailing on her Baptist church after one too many dumbshits in her Sunday school class said one too many dumbshit things, and she's not the only one - church attendance for that church is way down over the last few months.

Without getting into too many identifying details, it's a small group, everybody claimed to be vaccinated (I actually heard them say it when it came up), yada yada yada, and then one of the women in the group went on a Facebook rant about how she'll never get vaccinated, and vaccines are made from fetal tissue or stem cells or whatever, and one of the other women joined in saying that she wouldn't get vaccinated either.  These things were brought up on Facebook and later in-person and it was ugly, but fucking hilarious.

Anyways, that wasn't the only reason, but it was the last straw.  We have 9 friends who no longer attend that church, and when I say friends, I mean these are people that we hung out with here and there, etc.  They just drifted away from the church over the last 6 or 7 months.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Why it matters: Whether he's backing a candidate or being attacked by one, Thiel embodies the present GOP zeitgeist. His brand of nationalist conservatism mimics the party's Trump-era shift. Yet the fortune he's using to bankroll like-minded candidates derives from an industry reviled by much of that base.

That and he's openly gay.  Let's not kid ourselves, it's the GOP.

10 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Former Trump White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows told Newsmax that the former president has been holding meetings with his "cabinet" despite not being president:

https://www.guampdn.com/news/national/mark-meadows-trump-meeting-with-his-cabinet-despite-not-having-one/video_1f0a98c4-391f-5d3c-bd6e-22a9d64e2bae.html

trump-signing_hpEmbed_20201003-235000_3x

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Former Trump White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows told Newsmax that the former president has been holding meetings with his "cabinet" despite not being president:

https://www.guampdn.com/news/national/mark-meadows-trump-meeting-with-his-cabinet-despite-not-having-one/video_1f0a98c4-391f-5d3c-bd6e-22a9d64e2bae.html

Its what I would expect that group of losers to do. I have a much bigger issue with the McCarthy's and McConnell's of the world continuing to meet with a deranged fucktard still openly trying to invalidate the previous presidential election  and overturn the will of the people. They work for the US government, an organization Trump is actively attacking on a daily basis, and everyone is just cool with it. I don't know what actual powers the Dems have to curtail Trumps actions, but whatever powers they do have, I'm 100% sure they are too cowardly to use. 

Edited by Blotto
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

20 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Actually, seems reasonable to me. He has more power than anyone else in the party save maybe McConnell. 

On 7/29/2021 at 4:16 AM, Bookman said:

If being religious led to voting for Donald Trump, one has to wonder about the value of the religion.

While I have always believed in God, I’ve never been a fan of organized religion.

The fact that organized religion is such a big supporter of Donald trump, a completely immoral piece of shit and the comic antithesis of everything that the Bible supposedly teaches, tells me my instinct was correct all along.

It’s all a fraud.

• Hook 'Em 3

42 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

While I have always believed in God, I’ve never been a fan of organized religion.

The fact that organized religion is such a big supporter of Donald trump, a completely immoral piece of shit and the comic antithesis of everything that the Bible supposedly teaches, tells me my instinct was correct all along.

It’s all a fraud.

Is He Though Thor GIF - IsHeThough Thor - Discover & Share GIFs

• Like 1
  • Haha 1