I need a new binge show - I don't think I can take another 5 seasons of Sons of Anarchy

Elvis

I've rewatched so many shows that I have loved - Sopranos, Justified, Bosch, even a lot of sitcoms.  I got tired of Fargo in season 4.  I actually like rewatching shows because I play them on my other monitor while I'm working on stuff that doesn't need close attention.

SAMCRO is kind of beating.  

Any recomendations?

I've seen a lot  Star Trek (since TNG) I think.  Maybe that would be good.  Is DS9 good?  I think I grew out of that show when it was on live.

Also, thick accents don't work for me, as I'm only occasionally looking at the screen, and it's hard to understand what is going on.

I assume you've done Breaking Bad. If not, the fuck have you been doing with your life?

I tend to lose interest quickly in serial TV dramas so I feel like I'm a decent barometer. Try Mr. Robot or The Boys. 

But also I'm not sure I understand - you're asking for show recs but you'll only be half watching these shows? If you're watching something for the first time then don't you want to actually pay attention?

Are you wanting a binge show or a background show? For a background show I'd hit up Parks and Rec or Community. But if you want something to binge that will make you stay up way to late, Breaking Bad is never a wrong answer. Also, Battlestar Galactica or any of the Narcos. Deadwood is a good one too, but you will have no problem turning it off to go to sleep during most of the first season. Then the character development picks up so fast that you can't stop so easily. It is one you have to pay attention to. If Deadwood is your thing (phrasing), check out Hell on Wheels. Starts slow, but picks up and is very well done. If you are looking for more SciFi type stuff, work your way through The Clone Wars. It won't hook you nearly like any of the other entries, and there is a lot of filler, but the pay off is most definitely worth it. There are guides out there that tell you which episodes to skip if you just want to see the more important stuff. If you watch clone wars, you should be good to start and finish The Bad Batch before moving on to Rebels. Also, the Mandolorian is an obvious choice.

• Hook 'Em 1

Have you ever watched The Larry Sanders Show? I don’t know if it’s available on any of the streaming services but it’s brilliant and hilarious.

I only recently discovered Foyle’s War on PBS. They’re on season 6. I wish I would’ve discovered it years ago. It’s really good. It’s a detective show set in Britain during WWII. 

• Like 1

My wife and I just blew through all 14 seasons of it's Always Sunny in Philadelphia in record time...and I am not one that typically likes to try to binge watch a show (especially when it sounds daunting at the beginning with 14 seasons' worth to make it through).  The length of the episodes (around 20 minutes each) make them perfect binge fodder if you haven't already watched.

Also, disclosure: I am now also trying to determine what to start watch next and am also replying here in part so it shows up in my Tapa participated threads.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

The Wire?  Firefly?   Wonder Years?

You know, the Wonder Years is a fantastic idea. Talk about a show that marks my childhood. It started when I was in 8th grade and ended when I was a freshman in college. If anything, I need to watch the season finale again. Such a great episode.

1 hour ago, mdleast said:

My wife and I just blew through all 14 seasons of it's Always Sunny in Philadelphia in record time...and I am not one that typically likes to try to binge watch a show (especially when it sounds daunting at the beginning with 14 seasons' worth to make it through).  The length of the episodes (around 20 minutes each) make them perfect binge fodder if you haven't already watched.

Also, disclosure: I am now also trying to determine what to start watch next and am also replying here in part so it shows up in my Tapa participated threads.

Damn. I should do this. I watched the first 4 seasons religiously and then fell off and only caught sporadic episodes since. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

You know, the Wonder Years is a fantastic idea. Talk about a show that marks my childhood. It started when I was in 8th grade and ended when I was a freshman in college. If anything, I need to watch the season finale again. Such a great episode.

Wow you’re way older than I thought. Is your mom even alive still?

8 hours ago, mdleast said:

Doing that with The League. 20 minutes here, 20 minutes there.  Easy and funny. 

8 hours ago, South Austin said:

I watched this series with my teenage son.  First time I saw it on TV, I saw through Kevin's eyes.  Second time I saw it more through his dad's.

Shows I have binged while working over the last few years:

Breaking Bad twice
Sopranos twice
All of Magnum PI
Deadwood
Justified twice
Parcs and Rec
Some of the Office
Most of Battlestar Galactica
Star Trek - the Archer one
Dexter
Mad Men x3
Probably a lot more.

Shows that I've seen before, and would be good to rewatch while working from this thread:

Black Mirror
Californication
The Americans (didn't finish)
The Wonder Years (didn't finish)
Boardwalk Empire
Firefly (didn't finish)

Shows I haven't seen since they were on TV
Golden Girls and Murder She Wrote
Simon and Simon - club leader as I love Magnum PI
Sunny (didn't finish)
DS9

Never seen:
Longmire
You're the Worst
The Rockford Files
The Dectorists
Derry Girls
Narco - too difficult to read subtitles while working

A show that hasn't been mentioned: MASH!

Here's what I think I'll tackle:
The Americans
Californication
Simon and Simon
DS9

That should keep me busy.  Thanks y'all!

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 year later...

The intersection of my binge-shows:

I want to go back and finish shows I never did for some reason or another - The Americans, Dexter, Boardwalk Empire (in process), FNL

Also want to only watch shows that have a good ending. Not necessarily happy, just good.  BCS made that more important recently.

From what I hear, that kills Dexter.

Just started watching The West Wing for the first time.  I wasn't into politics when it aired, now it seems I'm sucked into it.  

I'm partway through Season 3.  Season 2 was pretty great and after looking at guides online, was the best of all the seasons. 

Pretty interesting, so I'll keep going.