Turks and Caicos

PorscheGuy

We stayed at the Shore Club, it was pretty new when we went in 2019 honeymoon.  Over on the South side of the island which had calm seas, not as crowded as north side.  But there was also a free hotel shuttle that took us to their sister hotels on the north side so we can hit up those beaches also.

Highly recommend hitting up Cocovan a few times for casual meals.  https://www.cocovan.tc/

And nice dinner at Coco Bistro:  https://www.cocobistro.tc/

2 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

Bumping this.  At some gala just before the pandemic, I "won"* a trip to T&C for a week.  So we've finally gotten around to booking it for the week of Thanksgiving.  We're going to be at a house on Chalk Sound, so I imagine we'll have a meal or two at Las Brisas.

I'm real interested in @Landomatic's driver.  What was the arrangement you had with him?  And I wonder if he's still driving after the pandemic.

Oh, and by "won," I mean I was overserved at the open bar and was egged on by my asshole friends at the table into bidding waaaay too much during the live auction.

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

Bumping this.  At some gala just before the pandemic, I "won"* a trip to T&C for a week.  So we've finally gotten around to booking it for the week of Thanksgiving.  We're going to be at a house on Chalk Sound, so I imagine we'll have a meal or two at Las Brisas.

I'm real interested in @Landomatic's driver.  What was the arrangement you had with him?  And I wonder if he's still driving after the pandemic.

Honestly, it's been like 4 years so I don't know if he's still there or what. From what I remember (which, again it's been 4 years so I'm a little foggy on the details), our hotel got him for us to go out one of our first nights there or maybe even to pick us up when we arrived at the airport. It was early in the trip. He didn't charge much more than a cab and he was way better...drove an escalade, gave us tips on where to go on which nights, etc. He gave us his card and we just kind of kept him on speed dial the rest of the trip. He was great and I don't remember him ever being unavailable or waiting very long for him. So it was like we had a private driver. I posted his card up thread.

Taxis in Providenciales are crazy expensive, so a driver or a rental car are great if you plan to get out of the house often.  

Driving in Turks & Caicos can be fun/traumatic/invigorating. You quickly learn that all traffic laws are suggestions. 

• 2 months later...

Spent a week there in June.  Fish Fry is back but at a new location. Las Brisas has truly remodeled but for the good.  We stayed on the Taylor Bay side of Sapodilla, which was great, because Sapodilla has gotten busy.  Silver Deep was great for fishing charter.  My 8 year old also caught a permit on a fly rod in site of Da Conk Shack, which made every dollar spent on the trip worth it 

60051686-D0B5-4007-9B07-01A4F5E338C2.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

• 4 months later...

Just back from a week there.  We had a Villa on Chalk Sound just down the street from Sopadilla Bay, and I really liked that part of the island.  As mentioned above, that is way less crowded than the north side of the island.  When we went, there were only a handful of people on the beach at Sopadilla, but plenty of guys with full bars set up under tents in case you wanted a rum punch or a gin & tonic (and I did).

The new set up for the Fish Fry at Diamond Stubbs Plaza is great.  It seemed that a lot of the vendors are also private chefs.  So if you intend to get a private chef one night, it may be a good idea to use the Fish Fry as something of an audition.  We used Grandma's Boy for when we wanted meals done in the house a couple times.  But I would've been happy with any number of the other vendors at Fish Fry.

PLS is the worst airport I've ever been to.  That being said, you should run upstairs and find a spot at the bar.  I think most people didn't know there was an upstairs (which was a good thing for those of us who figured it out).

• Hook 'Em 1