4 arrested at Maven Hotel, police feared a “Las Vegas style shooting” during All-Star Game

lmao

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/crime/4-arrested-at-maven-hotel-police-feared-a-las-vegas-style-shooting-during-all-star-game-in-denver

DENVER – Police feared a “Las Vegas style shooting” during the All-Star Game in Denver after receiving a tip from a maid working at a hotel not far from Coors Field, who discovered more than a dozen weapons and more than 1,000 rounds of ammunition inside one of the rooms Friday night.

Multiple informed law enforcement sources connected with the investigation told Denver7’s Liz Gelardi and Denver7 chief investigative reporter Tony Kovaleski that they found the weapons inside a room on the eighth floor of the Maven Hotel as All-Star Game celebrations got underway.

Sources said police removed 16 long guns, body armor and more than 1,000 rounds of ammunition from the room with a balcony overlooking the downtown area. The sources said they feared the number of weapons, ammo, vantage point and large crowds could have resulted in a Las Vegas style shooting.

Based on the information provided by the hotel employee, police executed a search warrant and found the guns, ammo, body armor and a man inside the room on the eighth floor.

One of the suspects arrested Friday night had posted a message on Facebook referencing a recent divorce and saying he was going to “go out in a big way,” according to the multiple law enforcement sources.

SWAT teams responded to the Maven Hotel and Wazee Street was closed to the public as investigators combed the scene. One witness saw a car being loaded on a flatbed. Other witnesses said Denver Chief of Police Paul Pazen was one of the law enforcement officials investigating the scene at the hotel.

In total, three men and one woman were arrested Friday night, along with two vehicles which were also impounded to be processed for possible evidence.

Richard Platt, 42, for investigation of possession of a weapon by a previous offender, possession of a controlled substance with intent to distribute (two counts), and a warrant from another jurisdiction.

Gabriel Rodriguez, 48, for investigation of possession of a weapon by a previous offender, possession of a controlled substance with intent to distribute.

Ricardo Rodriguez, 44, for investigation of possession of a weapon by a previous offender.

Kanoelehua Serikawa, 43, for investigation of possession of a controlled substance with intent to distribute, and a warrant from another jurisdiction.

The investigation is active and ongoing, and Denver Police encourage anyone with information to contact Metro Denver Crime Stoppers at 720-913-7867.

“The investigation and arrests were the result of a tip from the public, serving as an excellent example of the critical role the community plays in public safety,” police said in a news release Saturday night. “DPD encourages residents and visitors to always be aware of their surroundings and to report suspicious or illegal activity to police immediately. Please call 911 for emergencies; the non-emergency number is 720-913-2000.”

Denver7 is working to learn more about these arrests, and if the suspects are connected to each other in any way.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, deadshank said:

“I got divorced so I’m going to attempt killing a lot of people.”   Really?  That’s your plan?  Why?  So people know / remember your name?  Others deserve to be miserable like you? Show her what you’re capable of and in some odd way try impressing her?What is it?  Why?  Explain?  Link?

well, she might have taken him back. now we’ll never know. 

21 minutes ago, Hawndoh said:

Yes.

The most universal trait of American culture is selfishness and narcissism.

Yep.  We never fucking help anyone out or share a sense of responsibility.  That's why the maid pawned all of the guns.

SMDH.

Edited by slorch

So, they were gonna go out in a blaze of glory but they had substances with "intent to distribute"?

That's some grade A "Hero" logic right there.

I guess the ones they didn't kill were gonna get hooked up like mf'ers, eh?

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, Cajun said:

So, they were gonna go out in a blaze of glory but they had substances with "intent to distribute"?

That's some grade A "Hero" logic right there.

I guess the ones they didn't kill were gonna get hooked up like mf'ers, eh?

Maybe they were going to get high AF until Tuesday,and the quantities hit the threshold for prosecution?

Whatever it takes, in this particular case.  Mail fraud. Tax evasion. whatever.

Edited by slorch

3 hours ago, Blotto said:

Yeah at first I was like "didn't this already happen?". This country man..although this seems like a gun/drug deal or something with a salacious headline. If not scary af multiple people are conspiring to commit mass shootings now as if the lone wolf psychos weren't enough.

Edited by lmao

58 minutes ago, slorch said:

Maybe they were going to get high AF until Tuesday,and the quantities hit the threshold for prosecution?

Whatever it takes, in this particular case.  Mail fraud. Tax evasion. whatever.

Yeah, I'm fine w/these people getting popped.  My comment has more to do with the idiotic "threshold" when it is quite obvious that the charge has nothing to do with reality.  There was no intent to distribute, so let's not ecourage our LEO/Justice system to be more inclined to lie than they already are.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Good one, Slorch. No the random mass killings. Curious your thoughts as to why that’s almost uniquely an American thing.

Because we as a society generally suck at parenting and make horrific decisions with regard to developing our children's self confidence and ability to handle difficulty in life.

Y'all don't like that answer, I know.  Y'all prefer politically charged bullshit that you can rally around the team flag.  It doesn't make my response NOT the truth.

Not political: there are plenty of mass killings worldwide that don’t involve guns. Some just focus on the method/means. 

I don’t understand what the motive was here. I get the story is fluid. 

America does have more serial killers though…not sure why? 

1 minute ago, slorch said:

Because we as a society generally suck at parenting and make horrific decisions with regard to developing our children's self confidence and ability to handle difficulty in life.

Y'all don't like that answer, I know.  Y'all prefer politically charged bullshit that you can rally around the team flag.  It doesn't make my response NOT the truth.

I’m entirely open to that possibility. I think it’s heavily weighted by your own personal experience in childhood which has kind of become your life’s ethos. most of your takes seem to be driven by your experiences, and to your credit you’re willing to change that take if you have an experience that causes you to question it. Is there some data to suggest that all of the mass killers had shitty parents? Seems like plenty of countries raise generations with immensely more trama to weather and they don’t end up wiping out random crowds of people.

It just seems like a manifestation of a deep sickness which I can’t really explain.

From OP (interesting collection of folks):

Richard Platt, 42, for investigation of possession of a weapon by a previous offender, possession of a controlled substance with intent to distribute (two counts), and a warrant from another jurisdiction.

Gabriel Rodriguez, 48, for investigation of possession of a weapon by a previous offender, possession of a controlled substance with intent to distribute.

Ricardo Rodriguez, 44, for investigation of possession of a weapon by a previous offender.

Kanoelehua Serikawa, 43, for investigation of possession of a controlled substance with intent to distribute, and a warrant from another jurisdiction.

——————-

They said a woman was arrested also…

30 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Good one, Slorch. No the random mass killings. Curious your thoughts as to why that’s almost uniquely an American thing.

LMAO.

Go to some reality gore sites, watch a few Mexico Cartel/ISIS/Taliban videos and get back to me after you do that.  

And don't give me any semantical bullshit rationalizations.  "Oh, but that's different!!!"  No it's not. Save your breath.  There are plenty of "mass killings" of random people just a few hours south of here mi amigo and in numbers that make ours look like a rounding error.  There's plenty of psycho shit going on outside of US borders.  We are not special.

Plenty.  

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Cajun said:

LMAO.

Go to some reality gore sites, watch a few Mexico Cartel/ISIS/Taliban videos and get back to me after you do that.  

And don't give me any semantical bullshit rationalizations.  "Oh, but that's different!!!"  No it's not. Save your breath.  There are plenty of "mass killings" of random people just a few hours south of here mi amigo and in numbers that make ours look like a rounding error.  There's plenty of psycho shit going on outside of US borders.  We are not special.

Plenty.  

Yeah, man. I live in Mexico. It’s a narco-state and the violence is really easily explained. There’s billions of dollars at stake selling drugs.

But why are there so many instances of Americans walking into random crowds and killing strangers?

• Rage+1 1

10 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Yeah, man. I live in Mexico. It’s a narco-state and the violence is really easily explained. There’s billions of dollars at stake selling drugs.

But why are there so many instances of Americans walking into random crowds and killing strangers?

Nope.  There's plenty of unexplained non narco violence in Mexico.  There are people mowing down crowds with buses in other countries.  Trains are blown up.  Serial killers do their thing.  There are mass shootings, machete-ings, decapitations, cannibalism, ritual sacrifices, and just plain evil all over the world, but but but "Evil AMERICA!!!"

"But it's different Cajun b/c I can come up with explanations!"

Yeah, ok.

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Nope.  There's plenty of unexplained non narco violence in Mexico.  There are people mowing down crowds with buses in other countries.  There are mass shootings, machete-ings, decapitations, cannibalism, ritual sacrifices, and just plain evil all over the world, but but but "Evil AMEIRICA!!!"

Yeah, ok.

can you complete the following sentence so I understand your position...

The proliferation of random mass killings in the US in the last 20-30 years is because of...

Japan has mass murders. In 1995, a sarin poison-gas attack killed 13 and injured many more. In 2016, a former employee of a nursing home stabbed to death 19 of the patients. Eight students were stabbed to death at an Osaka school in 2001. A combination vehicle/stabbing incident killed seven in Tokyo in 2008. A father burned his wife and five children to death in Tokyo in 2017. Last month, 35 died when a man set fire to an anime studio.

China, another society with very strict gun laws, also has mass murders. A 2014 terrorist knife attack in Kunming left 33 dead and 143 injured. A series of school attacks in the early 2010s killed at least 25 in total; while not all of these school attacks were mass murders (five or more killed in one attack), some meet the criteria: eight schoolchildren murdered with a knife in Nanping in March 2010; nine murdered in Hanzhong with a meat cleaver in May 2010.

Explosive mass murders have also been common: 22 with explosives in Manchester, England, in 2017. Two terrorists killed 33 people at an airport and subway station in Brussels with bombs.

There have also been motor-vehicle mass murders in Europe and Australia: 84 murdered with a truck in Nice, France; 12 in Berlin, Germany; five in Stockholm; 13 in Barcelona, Spain; eight by truck and knives in London. While these were terrorist mass murders, others have been mental-health-related, such as an attack in Melbourne, Australia, that killed six.

In the U.S., the core problem underlying most mass murders is people with severe mental illness, who in 1960 would have hospitalized before chalk marks had to be drawn around bodies. If we solve the mental-illness issue, the guns do not matter. And focusing on the guns directs the severely mentally ill to other weapons.

Edited by Cajun
https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/08/mass-murder-without-guns/
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I don’t know why. Your turn.

Mostly this, sprinkled in with the ridiculous overuse of psychotropic medications.  That may not be THE factor, but it's is A factor.  I'm pretty sure the "I'm so important/I'm special" factor comes into play as well.

Edited by Cajun

45 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Mostly this, sprinkled in with the ridiculous overuse of psychotropic medications.  That may not be THE factor, but it's is A factor.  I'm pretty sure the "I'm so important/I'm special" factor comes into play as well.

Kinda seems like folks have snapped. All the passengers going bonkers on planes...maybe we were sick and covid kind of tipped more folks over the edge? I don’t know.

2 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

It’s almost entirely an American phenomenon. Why?

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

Not political: there are plenty of mass killings worldwide that don’t involve guns. Some just focus on the method/means. 

I don’t understand what the motive was here. I get the story is fluid. 

America does have more serial killers though…not sure why? 

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

LMAO.

Plenty.  

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

Take all the politics to the CR. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just an opinion: There is a disconnect between the lone unhappy gunman (e.g., "divorce caused this") and a group of four loaded for bear. I have not seen a group of four taking out civilians because one member has domestic issues. 

This looks more like a drug dealer den waiting for customers or suppliers.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, TornACL said:

Imagine having such a tiny dick that a looming divorce would make you want to buy a shit load of guns and kill a bunch of random strangers. 

If there are more than just “divorce” guy it’s not what it is. The fact they haven’t released the woman’s name is interesting.

• Hook 'Em 1